Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by aviger View Post
    The 3d as always makes the movie dark and blurry which sucks ass
    You should've gone to a theater that had a digital projector, as you would have gotten a brighter screen. Here's a list (anything with DL has a digital laser. DL2 mean it has dual lasers).

If you wear bifocal lenses then the 3D is blurry on the sides of your vision.

Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    I was 'forced' to watch this in theater today... and was super positively surprised.
    No political corectness, showing traditional family relationships and bonds, amazing visuals and i think it was like more than 3hrs long.
    Strong 9/10 from me.
    did you really call a guy who TRANSferred consciousness into a blue alien who is married to a blue alien with a half human/half alien baby, a baby born possibly from a live planet and its mom, and adopted kid and their half alien siblings a "traditional family".... That has got to be the weirdest take on this movie ever rofl.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    You should've gone to a theater that had a digital projector, as you would have gotten a brighter screen. Here's a list (anything with DL has a digital laser. DL2 mean it has dual lasers).

Yeah those are IMAX and added another 5$ to the price, i have my limits heh. And i don't wear glasses, it's just motion blur which i hate in games/movies

did you really call a guy who TRANSferred consciousness into a blue alien who is married to a blue alien with a half human/half alien baby, a baby born possibly from a live planet and its mom, and adopted kid and their half alien siblings a "traditional family".... That has got to be the weirdest take on this movie ever rofl.
    Let me precise it slightly: no forced irl political corectness.
    All these above i take as a part of the IP fantasy.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post

Some people have "defective" brains, in the sense that their brains cannot process the visual signals of this 3D technology without feeling nausea, headaches etc.

Which is something that actually speaks for the problems of the technology, not those of the humans. Also is a reason why 3D never became mainstream and the standard in cinemas. There is a significant portion of human beings that cannot enjoy it.
    /spit@Blizzard

5+ Year Old Account
    Cameron wanted 3d without glasses, no idea what happened, I suppose that tech is years n years away..
    Or its too expensive atm
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2023-01-15 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Cameron wanted 3d without glasses, no idea what happened, I suppose that tech is years n years away..
    Or its too expensive atm
    Right now it is possible for a 3D screen to eye track and adjust for an individual person (such as the 3DS) but trying to adjust for dozens and dozens of people in a theater is impossible.

7+ Year Old Account
    No shit it's grossing so much, it's the most expensive movie i've ever went to (27.50, just regular ole 3d, not even IMAX which was more expensive)..
    Thats so true, tickets are so much fucking expensive, that its almost a scam to compare movies box offices before and now. Before you had more people going to theaters, now its just one paying up for four or five.

I even though about watching this at theaters, but tis double the price for spider-man NWH, fuck that.

I think you can understand easily, he is just talking about the idea of a family, with a father and a mother doing dad and mong things with his children, as its in elements that people can identify with, not that they need to be humans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Studios: "No streaming for this for half a year! We forbid it!"
    Viewers: "Bleh, guess I have to see it in the theater then?"
    Studios: "AMAZING HOW MANY PEOPLE GENUINELY LOVE WATCHING STUFF IN THE THEATER, HUH?"
    Tbf this only works with bigger movies or movies that for some reason has hype behind it. They can do the same with "A man called Otto" but no one will go to the theater to watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crillam View Post
    Tbf this only works with bigger movies or movies that for some reason has hype behind it. They can do the same with "A man called Otto" but no one will go to the theater to watch it.
    My point was more about the hypocrisy of going "people love seeing things in theaters!" when you... didn't give them a choice.

It's like saying "people LOVE our burgers, everyone always orders the burger!" in a restaurant that only has one item on the menu. And it's a burger.

You want to prove people actually love seeing things in the theater? Give them both streaming and theater options. And if THEN they CHOOSE the theater... you can be proud. But of of course they won't do that, because they know people won't choose that way. And that'll cut into their profits.

5+ Year Old Account
    that's not a fair comparison, to go to the theater u have to travel...while streaming is at home...I'm sure a higher percentage would choose theater the closer it is to their home...I used to live in walking distance to a theater once in 99-01, went watching a lot more then than at any other time..Now it would take me 40+ min by car...

Also some movies I wouldn't choose regardless to watch first as streaming, some are just made for the big screen, but comedies for example, the jokes are just as funny on the TV...

Big budget movies need to be on theater first, to make their monies back, otherwise they will stop making them eventually..
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2023-01-16 at 03:32 AM.

I rarely go to the theaters for two reasons:

As aforementioned, there is the cost-benefit analysis. You have to get dressed and then drive in California traffic to get to the theater, and then there is the return trip. Then there is the actual theater experience. The nearest theater to me is an AMC, but it feels cheap. The chairs aren't very comfortable, trash on the floor, liemax screens, etc. If I want a nicer theater, I have to drive to Harkins which is at least a 1 hour drive round trip, and if I want a real IMAX theater with a Digital Projector then that's a 2 hour round trip if I go during the day, or a 1 hour trip if I go at midnight. And for some inane reason, people bring their babies and toddlers into the theater. Every time. And then an hour into the movie, the kids start crying as they're exhausted and stuck in an overstimulating environment and the parents are yelling at their kids to shut up and it's 5-10 minutes before they finally takes the hint that the kid isn't going to magically stop crying and decides to take them out of the theater.

Second, is that there simply aren't many new movies coming out in American theaters that I care about. The state of Western entertainment is abysmal. Terrible acting. Terrible scripts. Terrible cinematography with shaky cam and cuts every 5 seconds and boring shot-reverse-shot setups. Mediocre aesthetics. Boring and often downright awful soundtracks. The overwhelming vast majority of movies in theaters simply do not appeal to me at all. So I have to go through all of this effort just to watch a shitty movie. My time would be better spent playing a video game, or reading a book, or cleaning my room, or just staring at a wall. Before Avatar 2, the last movie I got dragged to was Infinity War part 1, a movie I never would have gone to on my own. The last American movie I willingly went to was Fury Road (or HTTYD 3, whichever came out last). Avatar 2 was the only American movie I was excited for in years. Otherwise, if I'm watching new movies, it's overseas movies like anime, which hardly ever air in theaters (there was Fate/Stay Night: Heaven's Feel, and the Shinkai movies, and that's it), or Taiwanese puppet show movies like Thunderbolt Fantasy (obviously no chance at airing in theaters).
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2023-01-16 at 05:59 AM.

No shit it's grossing so much, it's the most expensive movie i've ever went to (27.50, just regular ole 3d, not even IMAX which was more expensive).
    It's def not because it's so good. The 3d as always makes the movie dark and blurry which sucks ass and the story was almost the same as the first (they even resurrected the first bad guy wtf) where earth comes for magic new substance (why did they give up on the first one? it's still there...).
    I also thought that compared to some korean sci-fi movies and games nowadays the CGI wasn't THAT good.
    First avatar stood out because at that time it WAS amazing compared to other things, nowadays, meh.

Doubt i'll go see the 3rd and 4th in theaters, will wait till they are either on blue-ray or streaming, if not simply coz 3d sucks.
    If it wasn't good, people wouldn't go to see it.

The cope and seethe of Avatar haters is delicious.

5+ Year Old Account
    So there will be not just fire smurfs, what else then? Frost smurfs? Mountain smurfs? Wind smurfs?

James Cameron Teases ‘Avatar 3’ Will Introduce Fire Element & Two New Cultures.

https://deadline.com/2023/01/james-c...235223321/amp/
    Armando Tinoco And Natalie Sitek - January 15, 2023 9:10PM PST

While attending the Critics Choice Awards, Cameron stopped to talk to Deadline where he dropped some nuggets about what fans could expect from Avatar 3 revealing the element of fire and two new cultures would be introduced.

“Fire has a symbolic purpose in the film and there’s a culture that is specifically around that concept. That’s probably saying too much as we speak,” he told Deadline.

Cameron continued spilling the tea adding, “You’re going to meet two completely new cultures in the next film. We met the Omaticaya, we met the Metkayina, and you’re going to meet two new cultures in the next film, and it kind of rove a little more freely around the world of Pandora to different places.”

Cameron’s wife Suzy Amis jumped in and said, “You need a very secure seatbelt,” and Cameron ended by saying, “it’s a rocket sled.”

Watch Cameron talk to Deadline in the video posted below.

Jack Champion also teased what Spider will be going through in Avatar 3.

Trinity Jo Bliss also shared what she was most excited about the next installment of the film franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    So there will be not just fire smurfs, what else then? Frost smurfs? Mountain smurfs? Wind smurfs?
    We've seen the earth smurfs, water smurfs, fire smurfs, air smurfs.

Main character gets frozen in ice.

Gets thawed out 100 years later.

Finds out the fire smurfs attacked and everything changed.

MFW this is now actually Avatar TLA.

It sounds like 3 will be less of a retread that 2 was, which was good.

I really enjoyed my time in the theater, don't get me wrong. Its a well put together movie and the visuals are great. But it did seem very unoriginal and reminded me of Force Awakens in ways where it kinda just retreads the movie and setups up some mystery boxes and plot eleents that dont get resolved or even really developed beyond being mentioned.

It felt like a solid episode of tv show with a ton of budget...except instead of the plot progressing next week i'm stuck waiting a year or more to find out whats next.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post

rofl

So, Twilight was a cinematic masterpiece?

Avengers Endgame was not as good as Avengers Infinity War, but it made more money.

McDonald's is the most popular restaurant in the US. Nobody goes there because it has the highest quality food.

Avatar and Avatar 2 are making big bucks because, like McDonalds, it is passable faire that is convenient at the time. There is a reason that neither was released during the summer block buster months...neither are good enough to stand up to actual competition. Avatar 2 is competing against a horror and an animation...both of which are objectively better and cost substantially less than Avatar 2, but, like good restaurants vs McDonalds, just won't make as much money.

Stop confusing revenue with quality. The most popular item sold in supermarkets in the US is soda...not remotely a quality product (or good for you).

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Avatar and Avatar 2 are making big bucks because, like McDonalds, it is passable faire that is convenient at the time. There is a reason that neither was released during the summer block buster months...neither are good enough to stand up to actual competition.
    The holiday season should never be overlooked. Or is this thought the same regarding LOTR and initial Harry Potter movies, among others?

Unbound already owned you on why "Good" is meaningless but i'll add something.
    No one, and I mean NO ONE can know if a movie is "good/bad" until they see it. Other people can write reviews but that doesn't mean a thing.
    I went to see it and determined for myself it's bad. That doesn't mean I think everyone feels that way, I felt it bad...

The difference is if a movie costs 3-4 times what other movies cost to determine it's "bad" it also means it will make in revenue 3-4 times another bad movie might.

I loved the first one, which i mentioned. So there is no "cope" or "hate" for "avatar", Avatar 1 good, Avatar 2 is literally Avatar 1 but in water with comparable graphics which for todays age is bad.

I'm sorry i'm disparaging your fantasy getaway, but get over yourself :P

Unbound already owned you on why "Good" is meaningless but i'll add something.
    No one, and I mean NO ONE can know if a movie is "good/bad" until they see it. Other people can write reviews but that doesn't mean a thing.
    I went to see it and determined for myself it's bad. That doesn't mean I think everyone feels that way, I felt it bad...

The difference is if a movie costs 3-4 times what other movies cost to determine it's "bad" it also means it will make in revenue 3-4 times another bad movie might.

I loved the first one, which i mentioned. So there is no "cope" or "hate" for "avatar", Avatar 1 good, Avatar 2 is literally Avatar 1 but in water with comparable graphics which for todays age is bad.

I'm sorry i'm disparaging your fantasy getaway, but get over yourself :P
    Whoa, I didn't know reviews or word of mouth weren't things in this universe. My bad, dude.

The investment/quality ratio isn't nearly linear. Bad movies don't make money no matter how much money you spend making it.

Whoa, I didn't know reviews or word of mouth weren't things in this universe. My bad, dude.

The investment/quality ratio isn't nearly linear. Bad movies don't make money no matter how much money you spend making it.
    Reviews are literally mentioned in the post , how bad are you at reading :P
    But to clarity, just because someone ELSE says something is bad, how can you KNOW it is?
    You cannot, you can make a guess, but to 100% say something is bad, you have to see it :P

As for your claim "bad movies etc", i proffer yet again the McDonald's paradox. The food is objectively worse then the wagyu at SW Steakhouse, but they make billions more :P

EDIT: btw, just because a movie is objectively BAD doesn't mean it can't make a lot of money (transformers 3 made a billion, i DARE you to tell me that's a good movie) . I love some bad movies, all the die hards past 2 come to mind.
    Just because some people think it's bad, doesn't mean you have to get all upset about it. So you like it, great for you! enjoy it
    Last edited by aviger; 2023-01-16 at 08:51 PM.