Page 1 of 174
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

The Johnson - Schumer Congress Thread

House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) and House Republicans are in charge, but seem uniterested in actual goverance. They’ve announced an agenda that promises nothing but more “chaos, negativity, and excessive attacks.”

Headline Items:
    • Refusing to raise the debt ceiling and threatening to shut down the government
    • Massive cuts in domestic spending
    • Maybe even cuts to the military
    • Cuts to support of Ukraine
    • Impeachment of Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas
    • Congressional investigation of Hunter Biden, his hog and his laptop
    • A new subcommittee to investigate the Department of Justice and the FBI for “weaponizing” the federal government
    • Cutting funding for the IRS to hire new agents
    • Passing new anti-abortion measures

Does it resemble the agenda of any other congress in living memory?
    Government Affiliated Snark

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Headline Items:
    • Cutting funding for the IRS to hire new agents
    Not just this, but voting to eliminate the IRS and replace income tax with a consumption tax.

The depths of the pointless, backwards-ass virtue signaling from this Republican House is stupid as fuck. Also, they say they care about the debt again suddenly after blowing it up in the two years they controlled the government.

10+ Year Old Account
    House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) and House Republicans are in charge, but seem uniterested in actual goverance. They’ve announced an agenda that promises nothing but more “chaos, negativity, and excessive attacks.”

Headline Items:
    [LIST]
    [*]Maybe even cuts to the military
    [*]Cuts to support of Ukraine
    That is about all I'd like to see done.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Not just this, but voting to eliminate the IRS and replace income tax with a consumption tax.

The depths of the pointless, backwards-ass virtue signaling from this Republican House is stupid as fuck. Also, they say they care about the debt again suddenly after blowing it up in the two years they controlled the government.
    It's a plan that has been 40 years in the making. Reminider, that so many of these terrible ideas started with Reagan.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starve_the_beast
    "Starve the beast" is a political strategy employed by American conservatives to limit government spending[1][2][3] by cutting taxes, to deprive the federal government of revenue in a deliberate effort to force it to reduce spending. The term "the beast", in this context, refers to the United States federal government and the programs it funds, using mainly American taxpayer dollars, particularly social programs[4] such as education, welfare, Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid.[3]

10+ Year Old Account

Headline Items:
    • Refusing to raise the debt ceiling and threatening to shut down the government
    This is just blatantly irresponsible and a refusal to govern ethically. There's no argument to be had to defend this.

• A new subcommittee to investigate the Department of Justice and the FBI for “weaponizing” the federal government
    Who was prosecuted without justification? I need a list of names and supposedly-malicious charges.

Without that, this is just whining that politicians should be allowed to be corrupt and criminal as fuck, and it's super unfair that the FBI is prosecuting them for crimes they commit. Literal admission that the GOP is corrupt.

Like, there's plenty bad in the others, too. These ones, though, are objectively bullshit, not based on ideological differences.

I could talk on many of these points but for now I'm interested in the military cuts. I read one number was $75 billion off the military again for being "woke". Curious to sea what this is and of course it's something like about a hijab, idk. But just as long as we make guns, bullets and vehicles for the Military Industrial Complex we are fine.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    The entire list reads like contrarian nonsense. They're only interested in defunding the military now because they think it's too sissy or woke and/or because Biden's using our military assets to actually do something unequivocally good by helping Ukraine and they can't have none of that shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    You want to cut US support to Ukraine?
    Yeah. I am in the group of, "not our war, not our problem."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    A lot of Americans were saying the same shit in 1939.

History has said that was morally repugnant and largely driven by homegrown support for Nazism, particularly the America First movement specifically.

It's the same attitude that would see a woman being violently raped and just walk away from the scene, saying "not my rape, not my problem."

10+ Year Old Account
    I see your hyperbole and reject it.

World war, was a world war. That was far more involved than two countries having it out.

And if I saw a woman being raped in my presence, of course I would do something about it. That is a person who is local to me, they are my countryman.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    The entire list reads like contrarian nonsense. They're only interested in defunding the military now because they think it's too sissy or woke and/or because Biden's using our military assets to actually do something unequivocally good by helping Ukraine and they can't have none of that shit.
    The funny part about that is the military has been woke for a long time and learned the hard way that it if they aren't it can come back to hurt them.

I forget if it was WW1 or WW2 but I remember a story about how we had soldiers in Europe when things were still segregated and they much preferred our black soldiers as they were nice and respectful to the people while the white ones were butts and the American generals told them they needed to start segregating who they allowed in so the stores put up signs saying "Black Soldiers Only" which helped them realize just how much it hurt their image and reputation globally.

And since then, they have realized how much it negatively impacts their readiness if they aren't woke.

Still think its funny that they refer to it as being "Woke" when that also implies that they are asleep to the world around them.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

I see your hyperbole and reject it.

World war, was a world war. That was far more involved than two countries having it out.
    Except WWI was primarily a "European war" before it came a World War, if memory serves. How many countries are involved is irrelevant, especially nowadays. We live in an ever more interconnected world than we did during the last two world wars, where the affairs of two nations at war can have global impacts: As we're continuing to see through challenges in securing gas/energy and other issues when it comes to shipping grain and food.

Isolationism has basically always worked out poorly for the isolationist nation. Hence why there really aren't any left except maybe like, North Korea.

And if I saw a woman being raped in my presence, of course I would do something about it. That is a person who is local to me, they are my countryman.
    And if a woman was being raped in the town over and you were asked for $10 to help stop the rape? They're a human being, I'm not sure what being born in the same general geographical location (or not even depending on what country you're born in, I don't think folks in Connecticut and Hawaii share a ton in common in general) has much relevance here outside of, "They also pay taxes to the same government I pay taxes to."

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    The funny part about that is the military has been woke for a long time and learned the hard way that it if they aren't it can come back to hurt them.

I forget if it was WW1 or WW2 but I remember a story about how we had soldiers in Europe when things were still segregated and they much preferred our black soldiers as they were nice and respectful to the people while the white ones were butts and the American generals told them they needed to start segregating who they allowed in so the stores put up signs saying "Black Soldiers Only" which helped them realize just how much it hurt their image and reputation globally.

And since then, they have realized how much it negatively impacts their readiness if they aren't woke.

Still think its funny that they refer to it as being "Woke" when that also implies that they are asleep to the world around them.
    They want us to be more like China and Russia's big manly macho armies. Y'know; one of which is currently getting its asshole blown out because it can't supply logistics to a country it fuckin' borders and another that hasn't had any conventional combat experience in almost sixty years and who's UN Peacekeepers ran like cowards from a bunch of third world bandits.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean, leaving aside morality and what is the 'right' thing to do, we get to stick a finger in Russia's eye for pennies on the dollar. You can't feed the homeless with a Javalin or shore up worker shortages with Bradlys. That shit's already been built and sitting around collecting dust, so it's a - relatively - inexpensive gesture of good will to ship it off to a democracy in trouble to stick it to one of our major geopolitical rivals.

The GOP's just butthurt that our arms shipments to Ukraine are making Biden look good.

Dis you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Dis you?

Yup. lol. Das me!

Edited thread title to be more inclusive.

MTG on House Oversight and Homeland Security Committee's.

Irony in MTG and Jordan doing investigations into the federal government. One of the most powerful committees btw and you know where this is going. Watch out Jewish Space Lasers

Homeland Security is all about immigration. It's MTG so she is dangerous, but maybe here just ranting for 2 years is all she can do. I don't underestimate how low the Republicans can go.

Oh I guess she was part of the whole insurrection thing, so maybe she will sabotage Homeland Security within.
    Last edited by Paranoid Android; 2023-01-17 at 09:45 PM.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    MTG on House Oversight and Homeland Security Committee's.

Irony in MTG and Jordan doing investigations into the federal government. One of the most powerful committees btw and you know where this is going. Watch out Jewish Space Lasers

Homeland Security is all about immigration. It's MTG so she is dangerous, but maybe here just ranting for 2 years is all she can do. I don't underestimate how low the Republicans can go.
    Honestly, my biggest hope is that it's been so long since any of these Republicans have actually accomplished anything, or in the case of Greene having ever accomplished anything, that they'll largely just be a lot of thunder with no lightning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol they Skroed the thread already. G'luck.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/0...iling-00078166

Well let's start with something immediate.

Will Republicans let the US default on our debt for no other reason than "owning the libs"?

Or will they continue the daily operations of this country while trying to find a way to address spending and revenue that doesn't come with downgrading the credit rating of the US and making us an untrustworthy partner?

What do they even get out of letting the US hit the debt ceiling? Well...nothing, actually. There is literally no upside or benefit to this for anyone in the US.