Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

WoW China Shut Down, January 23 Hotfixes

WoW China Shut Down
    Today was the day that World of Warcraft shut down in China.

Jian Guo made some art to commemorate the shutdown.

WoW Hotfixes - Updated January 23
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    Hey all! Here are today’s hotfixes.

Dungeons and Raids
    • Algeth’ar Academy
      • Vexamus
        • Fixed an issue allowing players to line of sight Mana Bombs and Arcane Fissure.
    • Mythic+
      • Affixes
        • Thundering
          • Mark of Wind now prefers tank specialized players.
            • Developers’ note: We’ve heard the feedback from players that safely removing their mark on tank players can be overly dangerous in many situations. Tank players will still have the option of being involved in removing Marks of Lightning, but we believe this change will offer players increased flexibility in terms of how they choose to approach the affix.
      • Halls of Valor
        • Olmyr’s and Solsten’s health reduced by 25%.
        • Valarjar Aspirant health reduced 20%.
        • Valarjar Marksman health reduced by 10%.
        • Valajar Purifier health reduced by 20%.
        • The health of the four kings found in Odyn’s throne room has been reduced by 20%.
        • Valajar Champion’s no longer use Enraged Regeneration.
        • Ebonclaw Worg no longer use Ferocious Bite.
        • God-King Skovald
          • Is now less verbose when stating his claim to the Aegis of Aggramar.
        • Hyrja
          • Health reduced by 10%.
        • Fenryr
          • Health reduced by 10%.
          • Ravenous Leap bleed effect now has a 30 second duration (Was infinite).
        • Odyn
          • The periodic damage on Runic Brand has been reduced by 20%.
      • The Nokhud Offensive
        • Balakar Khan
          • Nokhud Stormcaster health reduced by 20%.
          • Balakar Khan’s Static Spear prefers not to target the same player for subsequent casts.
          • Balakar Khan’s Static Spear area of effect damage reduced by 30%.
        • Teera and Maruuk
          • Ancestral Bond is now applied when Teera and Maruuk are 15 yards apart. (was 10 yards).
      • Vault of the Incarnates
        • Broodkeeper Diurna
          • Reduced the base damage on Stoneslam Detonation by 63%. This will reduce the need to bring only tank-specialization classes that can avoid the effect by being immune to it.

Items and Rewards
    • Fixed an issue with Darkmoon Deck: Dance where the cast was bouncing more or less than intended for certain cards.
    • Fixed an issue with Darkmoon Decks where players would sometimes not be granted a Card after the cooldown had completed.
    • Fixed an issue where, if a player lost their Spiteful Storm Aura, all players also using the trinket on the same target would lose their auras as well.

Wrath of the Lich King Classic
    • Sack of Ulduar Spoils and Large Sack of Ulduar Spoils now drop Emblems of Conquest instead of Emblems of Triumph.
    • Creatures and NPCs
      • Elder Bluewolf of the Lunar Festival has been found, and we’ve relocated them to the Wintergrasp fortress.
    • Dungeons and Raids
      • Weakened the increased healing taken effect generated from Blood of the Loa in Troll Heroic Dungeons with Defense Protocol Alpha active. That buff now has a 4 second duration (was 10 seconds) and cancels when the enemy is no longer affected by Blood of the Loa.
      • Ulduar
        • Iron Council
          • Stormcaller Brundir’s ` will no longer get stuck midair if killed during his transitions into and out of Lightning Tendrils.
    • Professions
      • Fixed an issue where you could not abandon Leatherworking.
    Last edited by chaud; 2023-01-24 at 03:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That art looks good. Very well done
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

HOV I can understand, but why nerf Nokhud? It's B tier right now....

Wow shutdown in China sounds like a big deal.. what happened? So they cant play neither dragonflight nor classic?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by meheez View Post
    Wow shutdown in China sounds like a big deal.. what happened? So they cant play neither dragonflight nor classic?
    https://www.wowhead.com/news/netease...rn-down-331041
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Do you think with the China money gone, they'll focus less on selling us garbage? I honestly dunno what this means but they often kowtowed to Winnie The Pooh so maybe now less so?

Finally some HoV hp nerfs, that dung was tight like my pants, still could use like one minute on timer plus.

When is MMO Champ going to post the article of the guy that was fired from Blizzard (WoW Classic Dev) for refusing to give an employee a low evaluation rating because Blizzard wants a curve/low to curb bonuses?

Oh... forgot Chode or w/e his name is on their payroll.

Must be a terrible day for them. Imagine having to say goodbye to your WoW characters for the last time. It was hard enough for me in SWG and Wildstar nevermind WoW.

3+ Year Old Account
    There's a troll in that artwork
    Cute art!

Can't believe it is forever....not when there is money to be made for both sides.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Foulfrost View Post
    Do you think with the China money gone, they'll focus less on selling us garbage? I honestly dunno what this means but they often kowtowed to Winnie The Pooh so maybe now less so?
    Yeah...I also don't know what that means. "kowtow to Winnie The Poo" I mean....that bear being a quiete old british invention and all.

Hell...I never ever even thought Mists of Pandaria having Pandaren and all is just to appeal to one culture. Not to say that US companies don't censor / change stuff according to chinese or general foreign demands, mind you...because in fact they do.

Sometimes in a crazy way and look....they even change their product to appeal to other (western / muslim / age restricted) countries:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/vIrZDuyfrAw (Like Cloudy with a chance of meatballs becomes Cloudy with a chance of Falafel in Israel)

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfrog View Post
    HOV I can understand, but why nerf Nokhud? It's B tier right now....
    on high tyrannical keys (18+), both storm boss and last boss can be very quick deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by Scroolooseuk View Post
    Must be a terrible day for them. Imagine having to say goodbye to your WoW characters for the last time. It was hard enough for me in SWG and Wildstar nevermind WoW.
    Kind of brings to light of how many would freak out and feel empty after all their hard work, effort, and time was instantly snapped away from you if this happened to us.

The biggest question is - is it temporary or is it government-induced censorship, i.e. permanent? Second question - will Blizzard finally focus on their western market now? It seems, that since MOP they have been making Wow more grindy and hardcore to cater to Asian players.

Quote Originally Posted by velspine View Post
    When is MMO Champ going to post the article of the guy that was fired from Blizzard (WoW Classic Dev) for refusing to give an employee a low evaluation rating because Blizzard wants a curve/low to curb bonuses?

Oh... forgot Chode or w/e his name is on their payroll.
    Tell me you've never had a real job without telling me you've never had a real job.

Damn, considering everything is just cheap rehashed content now (basically every dungeon in this expansion is from the outside created world and not unique), the bugs are all over the place (played since Vanilla and seen more bugs in this expansion than every old one combined) and so on, just speaks heaps about how little money/effort they put into WoW nowadays. Wonder what's gonna happen when all China money is cut off, the budget for next expansion will be insanely slim. I mean, a shitty lootbox mobile game earns more than a full blown mmorpg nowadays, so should probably expect rehashed even crappier expansions from now on, it's simply not profitable enough to make proper games.

Yep, worried as F that Dragonflight and it's super shallow content quality and reused zones are just the beginning.

And just like that, 50% of players left WoW

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    The biggest question is - is it temporary or is it government-induced censorship, i.e. permanent?
    Permanent unless they partner with another Chinese company (Per regulations for outside-of-China-companies). It was just a failed agreement between Net ease and Blizzard. It hasn't been clear exactly what caused the break up, but it's almost certainly one side wanting more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Harthmut View Post
    And just like that, 50% of players left WoW
    Oh no, how ever will the game survive!

I don't see WoW China servers as listed in the patchnotes. /sarcasm