White House press corps bursts out laughing at George Santos at briefing

The press corps burst out laughing at the question of whether George Santos was invited to the reception for new members of Congress at the White House.

On Monday during the White House press briefing, a reporter asked if the administration has “any guidance on how many new members the president intends to have?”

White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said she doesn’t have “any numbers to confirm with you at this time”.

“So it wouldn’t be the whole class?” the reporter asked.

“Again, I would have to go back to the Office of Legislative Affairs. As you know, that process is run through them. I don’t have a number to share at this time on who is confirmed to attend,” Ms Jean-Pierre added.

"And is George Santos invited?” the reporter added, prompting laughter in the briefing room after some hesitation from Ms Jean-Pierre.

“I love how everybody laughed at that,” the press secretary said.

"Well look, as you know, it’s an event for the new member, the new Congress, so everyone is invited who is part of the new Congress. I just don’t have a confirmation on who is attending at this time,” she added. “But I understand the question. I just don’t have that.”

-------- I don't think the question was relevant. Santos will claim whatever regardless of the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Justice Department, with concurrence of Biden's legal team, searched the president's Wilmington home on Friday and found six more classified documents, some stemming back to his days in the Senate, Bauer says. The search lasted more than 12 hours and covered the whole premises.

When in the Senate? Wtf!

I know we have many differences between Trump but this slam dunk on Trump is beginning to be a layup than travels around the rim 3 times before going in. The defense of he told the property authorities, after 60 days(?) and letting them search his home. Sure. Like Trump the DOJ and whatever law is giving him a nice wide birth here in doing this at his own pace.
    The main thing it does is highlight how obviously ridiculous the application of the classification system is in many cases. If documents can just kind of go missing for a decade and then turn up in a former senator's house after someone got around to looking for them, just how important and superduper top secret do we think these documents actually were? Does anyone actually think it would be a good idea to empower the security state to go after top elected officials for this behavior?

Of course, there is some amusing schadenfreude to be had from Biden's disingenuous "I would never" reaction to the supposed mishandling of such documents, but let's be clear, no one outside of the most officious bureaucrats sincerely gives a shit about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    The main thing it does is highlight how obviously ridiculous the application of the classification system is in many cases. If documents can just kind of go missing for a decade and then turn up in a former senator's house after someone got around to looking for them, just how important and superduper top secret do we think these documents actually were? Does anyone actually think it would be a good idea to empower the security state to go after top elected officials for this behavior?
    Much like Benghazi and Clinton's emails, there's a very real issue here that demands some very frank discussion regarding government policies and best practices and what can be done in the future to fix some clear issues with our processes. And much like Benghazi and Clinton's emails, rather than actually do any of that the Republicans will direct all their energy at attacking Biden for political points.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphelios View Post
    Well, seeing as this is a bunch of nonsense, even if they were to try and jail Biden, they cannot seeing as he is President. That much was established with Trump. He first has to be impeached, then removed from office before anything like jailtime can be even thought of, which it will not be.

The only reason why Trump is far worse is he refused to return them when given the chance. Not because he had them but because he went out of his way to make sure they were somewhat hidden. Trump, when President, was allowed to have those documents. Biden, when Vice President and Senator, was allowed to have those documents. One returned them when asked, the other is still fighting to this day on why he was allowed to "keep" them which is not true.

I'll let you guess which one is which.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    What's up with this super casual attitude towards classified documents? Is there like, nobody looking after them? Or is that just crazytalk, and that's just what one does with classified documents, with them ending up wherever?
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    What's up with this super casual attitude towards classified documents? Is there like, nobody looking after them? Or is that just crazytalk, and that's just what one does with classified documents, with them ending up wherever?
    The difference between Pence/Biden and Trump is like the difference between a friend who takes stuff from your house without realizing it and then returning it before you ever noticed and a "Friend" who steals from your house and after you noticed it instead tells you that that stuff is his now.

As for how casual it is, I think a lot of it has to deal with the type of classified information it is. Is it 3 year old scheduling information that is long past any point of relevance or is it stuff relating to nuclear secrets or otherwise information that is still relevant to be our security.

As far as intent goes, Trump is screwed while Pence and Biden are in the clear.

As far as the content goes, Trump is even more screwed given he had information so sensitive it wasn't even supposed to be removed from the building it was stored in while with Pence and Biden we still don't know.

Overall, the public honestly shouldn't have known about any of this since the searches are still ongoing with them not letting anyone know till it was all completed to keep any other actors from finding out early and trying to search for them attempting to get them before the government could recover them. Trump screwed that up on his end for his opening his mouth, with Pence and Biden, not sure who in their group is giving the bad idea to let the public know before hand.

I understand the potential public backlash if they leaked it before they announced it, but this should have been kept under tighter security all the way around on this.
    Last edited by Fugus; 2023-01-24 at 08:08 PM.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post

Of course, there is some amusing schadenfreude to be had from Biden's disingenuous "I would never" reaction to the supposed mishandling of such documents, but let's be clear, no one outside of the most officious bureaucrats sincerely gives a shit about this.
    And that's the fucking kicker that separates both Pence and Biden from Trump.

The government didn't know about these documents, therefore, they likely weren't very important.

Meanwhile, Trump had shit that was designated as shouldn't be leaving a scif sitting in a fucking storage shed on property crawling with foreign fucking agents.

Sign-ups for Affordable Care Act coverage have skyrocketed nearly 50% since the Biden administration took office in 2021.

CNN source

Enrollments under the Affordable Care Act have reached an all-time high on the federal and state exchanges. The rise in enrollments is attributed to generous subsidies and aggressive outreach.

Wall Street Journal Source.

I read the CNN article and yes it was attributed to that the max a person can be charged went down from 10% to 8.5% and they credit outreach.

My take is it has become cheaper, imagine if we had universal health care and I think outreach is people being squeezed so much more they are turning to an alternative of ACA. Still a very broken system and a shithole patch to our healthcare crisis. Not really cheering this but at least people are turning to getting health care that may be more affordable.

On the politics side, the people who are turning to ACA idk it this benefits that people see the two sides of the parties in that one at least wants some social security nets.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/s...18023371808768

We're in year 3 of the Biden presidency and conservatives are all still super triggered the people correctly use Dr. Jill Biden's professional title.

I'll take this opportunity to once again remind everyone that Megyn (lol) Kelly was once heir apparent to the most valuable hour of television - Bill O'Reilly's show. She pissed off the wrong people - which is easy do when you're a hypocritical asshole siding with the leopards by doing things like spending years complaining about those lazy bitches who expect maternity leave for pushing out a baby until she does and OH MY GOD WHY DID NOBODY TALK ABOUT HOW IMPORTANT MATERNITY LEAVE IS - and lost that spot, ended up moving to NBC for a few years where nobody watched her light, fluffy daytime talkshow, and is now doing the podcasting gig like every other loser.

It really is impressive watching conservative women blow up their careers because they don't realize who they're siding with. Like that time Gina Carrano starred in a post-Mandalorian movie that generated around $800 at the Box Office. Total.

ANYWAYS, I enjoy that insecure, inadequate conservatives continue to be triggered by a woman with a higher education than they have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/s...18023371808768

We're in year 3 of the Biden presidency and conservatives are all still super triggered the people correctly use Dr. Jill Biden's professional title.

I'll take this opportunity to once again remind everyone that Megyn (lol) Kelly was once heir apparent to the most valuable hour of television - Bill O'Reilly's show. She pissed off the wrong people - which is easy do when you're a hypocritical asshole siding with the leopards by doing things like spending years complaining about those lazy bitches who expect maternity leave for pushing out a baby until she does and OH MY GOD WHY DID NOBODY TALK ABOUT HOW IMPORTANT MATERNITY LEAVE IS - and lost that spot, ended up moving to NBC for a few years where nobody watched her light, fluffy daytime talkshow, and is now doing the podcasting gig like every other loser.

It really is impressive watching conservative women blow up their careers because they don't realize who they're siding with. Like that time Gina Carrano starred in a post-Mandalorian movie that generated around $800 at the Box Office. Total.

ANYWAYS, I enjoy that insecure, inadequate conservatives continue to be triggered by a woman with a higher education than they have.
    God, Kelly is such a fucking moron.

"Doctor" is a title earned by those with doctorate-level degrees. Doctor of Medicine is oneof those. Any doctorate degree entitles the earner to use the title of "Doctor".

Only complete idiots or liars are unaware of this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Megyn (lol) Kelly
    She's likely still miffed that getting her J.D. didn't typically get her called "doctor". I don't think that's systematic. I've never once seen @cubby say "That's Doctor Cubby to you!"

By the way, Doctor Jill Biden has three graduate degrees -- Masters of Education, Master of Arts/English, and Ed.D. She's earned that title.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    God, Kelly is such a fucking moron.

"Doctor" is a title earned by those with doctorate-level degrees. Doctor of Medicine is oneof those. Any doctorate degree entitles the earner to use the title of "Doctor".

Only complete idiots or liars are unaware of this.
    But imagine if someone has a heart attack at a restaurant and someone yells, "IS THERE A DOCTOR IN THE HOUSE?!", what is Dr. Jill Biden going to do?!

It's just hilarious how far Kelly has fallen, and mostly how the existence of Dr. Jill Biden seems to be enough to trigger the fuck out of conservatives.

10+ Year Old Account
    But imagine if someone has a heart attack at a restaurant and someone yells, "IS THERE A DOCTOR IN THE HOUSE?!", what is Dr. Jill Biden going to do?!
    Um...you're too late, that's already been used by alt-right posters. Sorry, I know you were being sarcastic, but someone used it for realsies.

You're going to have to pick a different joke.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    She's likely still miffed that getting her J.D. didn't typically get her called "doctor". I don't think that's systematic. I've never once seen @cubby say "That's Doctor Cubby to you!"

By the way, Doctor Jill Biden has three graduate degrees -- Masters of Education, Master of Arts/English, and Ed.D. She's earned that title.
    J.D.'s never, ever, get called Doctor (except right after graduation, when we channel that terrific scene in Spies Like Us - my buddies and I did that). Lawyers get their own title, Lawyer or Counselor or Esquire - and that is just dandy.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Um...you're too late, that's already been used by alt-right posters. Sorry, I know you were being sarcastic, but someone used it for realsies.

You're going to have to pick a different joke.
    That's specifically why I used that "joke". Because clearly everyone with a doctorate would think that someone asking for a doctor is speaking about them.

Now I'm trying to find that comic where this is the setup but the punchline is actually that yes, they do need someone with an obscure doctorate for something and it's finally their time to shine.

Because that's actually moderately funny and doesn't rely on the subject of the joke being extremely highly educated but also incapable of closing their mouth so that they stop dribbling drool on themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    J.D.'s never, ever, get called Doctor (except right after graduation, when we channel that terrific scene in Spies Like Us - my buddies and I did that). Lawyers get their own title, Lawyer or Counselor or Esquire - and that is just dandy.
    Even law profs? "Doctor" is the pretty standard apellation for anyone with a doctorate. I've never been in even pre-med, but almost all my profs were "Dr. So-and-so" (the few exceptions being professionals with a lot of experience who were teaching some more practically-oriented seminars).

Regardless, if M.D.s want to be special little snowflakes, they're free to come up with their own professional designation. "Doctor" is already taken by academia.

10+ Year Old Account
    if M.D.s want to be special little snowflakes
    Megyn is not a MD, either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even law profs? "Doctor" is the pretty standard apellation for anyone with a doctorate.
    Despite the name, a JD is actually a baccalaureate level degree, equivalent to what is usually called a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) up here.

The Dr. So-and-so degree is a Doctor of Juridical Science (JSD) or a PhD in law, depending on the institution.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Doctorates come in all flavours. I used to share an office with a girl who got hers in cyberdefense.