Thread: Last of Us [TV]

Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Wow, what an incredible third episode. Seeing its IMDB score afterwards compared to the others infuriated me. Bunch of insecure people.
    Definately can tell where the age/sex breakdown comes with how the reviews are where the insecurity comes from. It's why I never take fan reviews seriously. Brigading is just worse than the supposed "They were bought to give a good review" accusations without evidence.

5+ Year Old Account
    This show is the proof that when you have stellar writing, directing and performances, it doesn't matter if you deviate from the source material.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    It's not as captivating as the game. I'm finding myself getting bored with each episode. For an hour long episode series, it doesn't really show much. I'd be like: "that's it?" At the end of an episode. Meanwhile, i couldn't wait to get to the next part when i watched the game's storyline. The acting is just dull and anemic. Not to mention this last episode, which wasted an entire episode on a non relevant sidestory. Well, people have been praising House of the Dragon too, which i found to be mostly boring.
    If they stuck to the game story, the show would be maybe 4 episodes. A lot of the game time is game play, and honestly, just seeing Joel and co mow down tons of infected or raiders or whatever isn't going to be a captivating show.

I really enjoyed this episode, and it was not what I was expecting. I loved the flip where the cold open was the modern day and the episode is mostly flashbacks.

If this is something we could expect when they start adapting Part 2, maybe I'll actually like the story of Part 2 more.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

It's not as captivating as the game. I'm finding myself getting bored with each episode. For an hour long episode series, it doesn't really show much. I'd be like: "that's it?" At the end of an episode. Meanwhile, i couldn't wait to get to the next part when i watched the game's storyline. The acting is just dull and anemic. Not to mention this last episode, which wasted an entire episode on a non relevant sidestory. Well, people have been praising House of the Dragon too, which i found to be mostly boring.
    I'm curious. What does your Top 5 for TV look like?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    I love how he's literally just playing Ron Swanson all over again. Probably why he got the role in the first place.
    Bill's character in the OG kinda looked like Swanson anyway.

If I were a betting man, I'd say Bill was based on Swanson and getting Offerman to play him was just perfect serendipity.

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    If they stuck to the game story, the show would be maybe 4 episodes. A lot of the game time is game play, and honestly, just seeing Joel and co mow down tons of infected or raiders or whatever isn't going to be a captivating show.
    Yet, It is part of the narrative. Removing most of it is removing an essential part.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    I'm curious. What does your Top 5 for TV look like?
    Hard to say. These days there are a lot of shitty ones.

Third episode was really good. The deviation to some of the characters was pretty well done. I miss the dynamic from the game between the same characters, but this episode was so well done that it wasn’t a letdown from missing out on that.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Wow, what an incredible third episode. Seeing its IMDB score afterwards compared to the others infuriated me. Bunch of insecure people.
    Yeah, the episode was great, 9.4 or something there. Superb acting, great story, great setting. Both me and my lady shed some tears. It was a very emotional episode.

Humanity however gets a 2.3 after watching the forum comments on social media...

Episode 3 story was great, but it took too long for my taste. There are a few scenes that weren't needed mostly because any point that had to be made about their relationship was already made and clear by then. Great episode nonetheless and amazing performance by the two actors.
    "Mastery Haste will fix it."

7+ Year Old Account
    Yet, It is part of the narrative. Removing most of it is removing an essential part.
    Except it isn't part of the narrative.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Hard to say. These days there are a lot of shitty ones.
    Okay, let's make it even easier then: What's your favorite TV show of all time?

"All in the Family" was amazing for its time.

Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    Yeah, the episode was great, 9.4 or something there. Superb acting, great story, great setting. Both me and my lady shed some tears. It was a very emotional episode.

Humanity however gets a 2.3 after watching the forum comments on social media...
    The thing that bothers me is that, like, if the same exact story played out and Frank was a female nobody would have blinked. All this harping on about "the message" is a giant homophobic dog whistle. It's getting kind of old.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    "All in the Family" was amazing for its time.
    Good call. It still pales in comparison to my favorite anime of all time, Cory in the House.

I haven't played the game, I don't know much of it's story. I have started watching the TV Series and 1st episode was great. 2nd was okey. I was excited to see 3th episode was 1 hour 20 minutes, I thought it would be like watching a movie. Frank & Bill , okey , I thought they would be best buddies but no no no. 1 hour of Frank & Bill, 20 minutes of main storyline. If it would be male+female love story , they would probably go with less than 1 hour. Because we are familiar of male+female stuff but when it comes to male+male , it's like unknown species seen mating 1st time in the wild, so they might thought they should provide more information like 1 hour documentary , would be sufficient for them. Well I have trimmed that 1 hour and I'm happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Geckoo View Post
    Episode 3 story was great, but it took too long for my taste. There are a few scenes that weren't needed mostly because any point that had to be made about their relationship was already made and clear by then. Great episode nonetheless and amazing performance by the two actors.
    Yeah, exactly how I felt about it. I was like okay, I get it, they're in love, can we move on with the story now? It could have been at least 10 minutes shorter and wouldn't have lost emotional impact IMO. It was basically a very well done but mostly pointless filler episode.

Something I forgot to mention in my previous comment: Anyone else think they're being a little heavy handed with the whole saving thing? "Yo Joel, did you ever think about SAVING anyone? You know, should there ever be a situation where SOMEONE (nudge nudge wink wink) could be SAVED, you might remember these moments when people strongly hinted that SAVING people is SOMETHING YOU SHOULD DO? Idk Joel, just something to bear in mind, you know?"

Agree with others when it comes to the length of the episode. Good performances and good writing, was enjoyable. I didn't expect this to take up almost the entire episode though.
    Wanted the story to move on.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Yeah, exactly how I felt about it. I was like okay, I get it, they're in love, can we move on with the story now? It could have been at least 10 minutes shorter and wouldn't have lost emotional impact IMO. It was basically a very well done but mostly pointless filler episode.

Something I forgot to mention in my previous comment: Anyone else think they're being a little heavy handed with the whole saving thing? "Yo Joel, did you ever think about SAVING anyone? You know, should there ever be a situation where SOMEONE (nudge nudge wink wink) could be SAVED, you might remember these moments when people strongly hinted that SAVING people is SOMETHING YOU SHOULD DO? Idk Joel, just something to bear in mind, you know?"
    I mean, you're not wrong but my take away is far less cynical. Joel just lost somebody incredibly close to him and he isn't exactly over-the-moon about Ellie's inclusion on his journey. Bill's letter, especially the part about saving Tess, helped him come to terms and understand the gravitas of the situation. So yeah, this episode was a mostly superfluous detour but the parallels of how love can be both good -- as it was with Bill and Frank -- and bad -- as is the case with Joel's decision to save Ellie then lie to her about the cure are important.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFrag View Post
    I haven't played the game, I don't know much of it's story. I have started watching the TV Series and 1st episode was great. 2nd was okey. I was excited to see 3th episode was 1 hour 20 minutes, I thought it would be like watching a movie. Frank & Bill , okey , I thought they would be best buddies but no no no. 1 hour of Frank & Bill, 20 minutes of main storyline. If it would be male+female love story , they would probably go with less than 1 hour. Because we are familiar of male+female stuff but when it comes to male+male , it's like unknown species seen mating 1st time in the wild, so they might thought they should provide more information like 1 hour documentary , would be sufficient for them. Well I have trimmed that 1 hour and I'm happy.
    There are tons of stories where male-female romance is over an hour in length. Hell, the movie Titanic is over three hours long and it is a male-female romance. So, yeah, totally, if it was male-female, it would always be kept under an hour. The purpose isn't just to tell us the story of Bill and Frank, but establish more about the world. It is one of the bigger world building episodes.
    –The Sith Code

Except it isn't part of the narrative.
    It isn't? There aren't any sequences and dialogues related to it? It's a strong theme you can't overlook.

I think Genius: Einstein was one of my favorite.

The thing that bothers me is that, like, if the same exact story played out and Frank was a female nobody would have blinked. All this harping on about "the message" is a giant homophobic dog whistle. It's getting kind of old.
    No, actually.
    It made absolutely no contribution to the main storyline and it just took away from more Joel and Ellie that most of us have been waiting for.

. The purpose isn't just to tell us the story of Bill and Frank, but establish more about the world. It is one of the bigger world building episodes.
    So they have lived in their small heaven for a decade then they had decided to die together. Hilarious. It's post apocalyptic world and their location is not able to be protected by 2 people for a decade. They are both regular civilians with extra abilities. Also it's an open area. Estimate of civilian firearms per 100 persons : 1st United States 120.5. This statistic alone is enough to aganist your idea of ''establish more about the world''.

I think Genius: Einstein was one of my favorite.
    Odd choice but one of the better autobiographical portrayals.

No, actually.
    It made absolutely no contribution to the main storyline and it just took away from more Joel and Ellie that most of us have been waiting for.
    Speak for yourself. I feel sorry for you if thing that matters in an adaptation is whether they stick to the source material 100% of the time. If you wanted to watch a beat-for-beat, shot-for-shot recreation of The Last of Us, you can watch a playthrough of the remake on YouTube.
    Last edited by Relapses; 2023-01-31 at 02:04 PM.