Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Is it me or players are going back to classic era now en masse?

Many of us who played since 2004 knew very well that neither tbc nor wotlk were as good as vanilla, in fact many believed that wow died with the release of wotlk and that it was a bad expansion despite the high numbers, wotlk added absolutely nothing of value to the game, ulduar is one of the best raids ever but that's about it, even ICC was mediocre, I personally wasn't impressed by it. By the end of wotlk, wow was at its knees. Now people no longer need to run to a private server to live again the vanilla experience, they instead go back to classic era. SOM is also pointless since classic era can already take care of these people, som would only have meaning if they added new features to vanilla that wouldn't break the game experience of course.

It's pointless to have a cataclysm release now, they should improve som instead. People really like vanilla.
    Last edited by Vampiregenesis; 2023-01-31 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampiregenesis View Post
    Many of us who played since 2004 knew very well that neither tbc nor wotlk were as good as vanilla, in fact many believed that wow died with the release of wotlk and that it was a bad expansion despite the high numbers, wotlk added absolutely nothing of value to the game, ulduar is one of the best raids ever but that's about it, even ICC was mediocre, I personally wasn't impressed by it. By the end of wotlk, wow was at its knees. Now people no longer need to run to a private server to live again the vanilla experience, they instead go back to classic era. SOM is also pointless since classic era can already take care of these people, som would only have meaning if they added new features to vanilla that wouldn't break the game experience of course.

It's pointless to have a cataclysm release rn, they should improve som instead.
    You forgot the puffin image. It is just you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

I'm just one data point, so I don't count as "en masse", but I have no real interest in raiding WotLK. I raided through Sunwell, because I never did Sunwell, but I have no interest in doing Wrath again. Ulduar was a great raid, but the rest - meh.

I am playing Vanilla again because it was the best WoW experience. I've already raided Classic WoW, got to see vanilla Naxx finally, got Atiesh. Now it's time to level alts, run around the Barrens or Elwynn and enjoy the scenery.

its most likely just you, but its hard to discuss it when you dont even put in your post WHY you think that...
    basiclay your post and its title have nothing to do with each other...

Some Classic Era servers have a small population now. But i wouldn't say it's a return "en masse".

It's pointless to have a cataclysm release now, they should improve som instead. People really like vanilla.
    The body of your post is just a blog post about what you like, and is unrelated in any way to your claim/question posed on the title.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

I thought I would enjoy reliving WotLK but I surprisingly fell off after Phase 1 farms were completed. I'm having fun in DF but if I were to go back to any form of classic. It'll be vanilla. I'm hoping there will be a new season for Vanilla that'll add to the dungeons and raids though I'm not sure what I'm asking for. I do think that the 1-60 class balance needs to be looked at. I would like to see some sort of system that makes all the dungeons/raids add some type of flavor/affix. But maybe the classic community won't like those changes and I understand that and respect it. I enjoy M+ so much but almost no other facet of the game. I just would like to see the classic dungeons have that type of gameplay I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Idk what you mean, I downloaded the vanilla client for WoW and every single server is dead. Grobbulos, the most populated server, has like 23 people in a major city at a time.

Also I have heard alot of people are excited for cata, and are expecting to go through every single expansion again.

I mean, on both NA and EU saw one servercluster flipped to Medium pop again, so that's something i guess.

Wotlk added Inscription/Glyphs, Vehicle combat, 10man & Heroic raiding to every raid, Wintergrasp... some of those systems would eventually be scrapped but many persist with the game today, so I don't know what you're smoking.

As for people flocking back to Classic Era, Asmon made a video about this 2 days ago:

The relevant bit starts at 2:40, where he looks up the AH and does /who searches.

Nobody is going back to Classic Era, let alone "en masse". I logged in today to the PVE "mega hub" and there were 7 people online in Orgrimmar and 0 bg's running. The population has increased marginally on classic, but it's still dead.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

wouldnt say en masse but i think the goal of classic was for there to be a small community of people who just want to classic forever, i was kind of suprised it completely died out when tbc first came out, but now that the main trilogy is over with wotlk almost over i could see people now starting to do that which is neat

There's no en masse. It's some of the SoM people that have no interest in LK and with SoM closing down they go to classic era.
    Agree that Cata doesn't make much sense as it's just a worse version of retail (thanks to the no bullshit systems in DF). Hell from the next phase forward not even LK is that much different from retail, it even nearly has M+. But if there are people interested in re-doing Cata for whatever reason, good for them, they will likely receive it.

No. Even the most populated Era server is still only like half the size of the average WOTLK server.

10+ Year Old Account

Where this came from: your head canon

WotLK was the peak of player activity, I'm sure that was the case because it sucked compared to vanilla "facepalms"

You vanilla zealots are really funny...sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by Mustardisbad View Post
    Idk what you mean, I downloaded the vanilla client for WoW and every single server is dead. Grobbulos, the most populated server, has like 23 people in a major city at a time.

Also I have heard alot of people are excited for cata, and are expecting to go through every single expansion again.
    Crisis on Finite Azeroths!!!!!! All universes shall be merged into one!

Classic era exploding right now. Every zone is full of players on Hydraxian Waterlords

10+ Year Old Account
    Vanilla has its charms, mainly slow and challenging leveling. However, bad class design and huge spec imbalance ruined all the fun for me.

I can't play what I want, being forced to mage / warrior / rogue / lock / healers to actually enjoy the game and be wanted in all forms of content is beyond horrible and stupid and doesn't belong in 2023. Itemization / set design is also horrendous, seeing warriors running in leather, holy paladins running in cloth once again - no, thanks. Finally, Pvp system based solely on time spent in BGs and nolifing to get next rank is even more abysmal than all of the above. I prefer WoTLK PvP over AFKing in AVs.

I would definitely play Classic era with WotLK talents, rebalanced classes and tier sets tho.

15+ Year Old Account

I want whatever drugs you're on.

Obviously I can't speak for every single person who played since 2004, but as someone who played since EU release I cannot remember a single person back then who thought WoW was dying when WotLK came out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for sharing how you feel about it OP.

But everything you said has nothing to do with the supposed point of your thread.