7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    So i'm kinda curious as to how it was, in any way, a succes?
    What it gatters here is apparently a 15th place, if you count only the originals, is rly a big deal, and nothing else matters.

It doesn't matter it get zero engagement online, it doesn't matter if everyone say is trash, it doesn't matter if not even half the people who had amazon watched, it doesn't matter if from 9.4 millions "minutes watched" 8 millions was from the episode one and two alone, showing an massive drop of people watching.

What matters is that they somehow got to 15th place in a top 15th, on US metrics, so it means huge success.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I have not heard much that indicates what you're saying is any more "reals before feels" than those that you indicate as "feels before reals".

Now i've not watched it nor do i plan to due to Amazon's involvement, so in this case the whole woke-or-whatever-it-is-this-time is secondary to me.

Last i heard they were planning to sack the directors, but admittedly that was a while ago during the fan hysteria. Still, the report seemed genuine and such a thing does not exactly scream "Job well done.".
    On the reals side, It had the most viewers of any premiere, it drove a spike in book sales through Amazon, Amazon came out and said it was worth the investment, independent show trackers have ranked it the only non Netflix show to break the top list other then the boys.

On the feels side, we have had people say any number they put out that doesn’t show that it failed is a lie, people lying about other shows getting a higher % of total Amazon accounts viewing them, and alot of calls that the metrics the industry have used for years must be bad unreliable or miss information just because the show ranked high.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

15+ Year Old Account
    Last i heard they were planning to sack the directors, but admittedly that was a while ago during the fan hysteria. Still, the report seemed genuine and such a thing does not exactly scream "Job well done.".
    The firing of the show runners is an unconfirmed rumor. They replaced two of three directors. Staffing change doesn't mean a failure otherwise House of the Dragon would be a failure as well. The show broke some records for Amazon and has been stated to have more then paid off the investment. Why is that not a success?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    It doesn't matter it get zero engagement online, it doesn't matter if everyone say is trash, it doesn't matter if not even half the people who had amazon watched, it doesn't matter if from 9.4 millions "minutes watched" 8 millions was from the episode one and two alone, showing an massive drop of people watching.
    Why do you constantly lie and exaggerate? Episodes one and two had 1.2 million minutes watched and not 8 million. The week of Episode 8 had around 95 difference between the first and last week.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Bro like matters if anything's good anymore 80% of the actual audience are high as fuck while watching this shit.
    Velma's shit, was rings of power but when you're on ketamine you don't care.
    Look at the UK from what I can tell the post popular TV show is a YouTube react channel.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Art is not immune to critique - far from it - art invites critique by its very nature. But art itself cannot be objectively "bad".
    Uwe Boll approves of your post.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    The firing of the show runners is an unconfirmed rumor. They replaced two of three directors. Staffing change doesn't mean a failure otherwise House of the Dragon would be a failure as well. The show broke some records for Amazon and has been stated to have more then paid off the investment. Why is that not a success?

- - - Updated - - -

Why do you constantly lie and exaggerate? Episodes one and two had 1.2 million minutes watched and not 8 million. The week of Episode 8 had around 95 difference between the first and last week.
    I simply said i had heard nothing about it being a succes.
    Honestly i have also heard little about HoD being a succes, so that's perhaps not an inaccurate metric.

Honestly i've just been apathetic to the whole thing, just got sorta curious by the thread popping up again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Read the last bunch of pages for the entire conversation, and context of my post, starting from here. I'm too lazy to reiterate everything contained within them.
    Neh, sorry.
    If i weren't lazy too i wouldn't be asking for a summary.

- - - Updated - - -

What it gatters here is apparently a 15th place, if you count only the originals, is rly a big deal, and nothing else matters.

What matters is that they somehow got to 15th place in a top 15th, on US metrics, so it means huge success.
    Ah.
    Sounds pretty standard practice for online tribalism nowadays. Especially poor little statistics, being abused like some crackhouse whore.

Still doesn't give me clarity though, from either side honestly.

Eh, back to apathy i guess.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    On the reals side, It had the most viewers of any premiere, it drove a spike in book sales through Amazon, Amazon came out and said it was worth the investment, independent show trackers have ranked it the only non Netflix show to break the top list other then the boys.

On the feels side, we have had people say any number they put out that doesn’t show that it failed is a lie, people lying about other shows getting a higher % of total Amazon accounts viewing them, and alot of calls that the metrics the industry have used for years must be bad unreliable or miss information just because the show ranked high.
    To be fair premieres don't say much for series, book sales are hardly indicative of quality either and more of an advertisement effect ("Oh hey remember those famous books?") and i kinda don't put much weight in whatever Amazon says.

So eh, sounds kinda vapid on either side for me.

Anyhow thanks for the responses, now back to apathy regarding this latest bout of online tribalism.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Now i've not watched it nor do i plan to due to Amazon's involvement, so in this case the whole woke-or-whatever-it-is-this-time is secondary to me.
    The woke stuff is a non-issue. Its problems are in its production and execution, simple as that. Poor pacing, poor script, poor planning in general.

Amazon has an internal method of defining what a successful show looks like to them. From what little we know of the subject, their internal gauges involve tracking the first show that new Prime Video subscribers watch. This is what they attribute the subs towards; they correlate the new user to 'subbing' to watch that show. This is unique to Amazon, and there's articles out there that try and analyze why they use this method over other known metrics. So if the Amazon exec says it's successful, it's probably going to be in context of the show being one of their top first-watched shows. If they're touting millions/billions of minutes watched, then I could see that being true too, since they already have plenty of Prime subscribers who would be interested in a 'new Lord of the Rings' series and give it a go. It banked on being a highly anticipated sequel to a movie franchise that has high demand.

As for how Prime Video actually operates, they don't really care much about 'winning' against other streaming platforms either. Nielsen ratings are what people are touting here to compare the series to other shows and use as a metric for success (or failure), Amazon generally doesn't care. It's fairly well acknowledged that Prime Video is a loss-leader. Prime Video exists to promote people staying subbed to Prime, which in turn builds more incentive to buy more stuff online. That's where the real money comes from. Come for the free shipping, stay for the free streaming.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2023-02-06 at 04:20 PM.

I simply said i had heard nothing about it being a succes.
    Honestly i have also heard little about HoD being a succes, so that's perhaps not an inaccurate metric.
    Amazon said they were happy with its performance which is the main thing really, though people are taking that to mean it was really a failure and they're only carrying on with it because huge corporations love throwing away profits.

[Quote)Ah.
    Sounds pretty standard practice for online tribalism nowadays. Especially poor little statistics, being abused like some crackhouse whore.

Still doesn't give me clarity though, from either side honestly.

Eh, back to apathy i guess.[/quote]

To add context only two shows in the top 15 were non-Neflix. @Fencers who actually works in the industry says that's something Amazon should be very happy about.

"Amazon said" means little.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    I didn't claim lotr was more valauble, i said they were as valuable, those two can have new shit, because authors are alive, and they can create enw stuff foward, you can't do that with tolkien.

What bothers me, is how "minutes watched" and making to top 15 of just original shows is a shit metric and should not be used as an signal of "success", its arbitrary, boderline manipulating information

is like if i said they were top 5 in the medieval fantasy shows, taking second place behind lost kingdom, waaaaow, they took 2nd place!!! huge sucess!!! < this is what looks like.

18? people didn't gave two shits about it after 2 months, thei strategy is put the show in 2024 so people can indeed forget how bad it was, let the dust set, then they can grab people who forgot about season 1.

We already saw the HUGE drop from episode 1 to the rest of the season, "huge success" of a show that los that many viewers, if they made season 2 in 2023 people would just say fuck off.
    Remember MAU's instead of sub numbers in WoW?

Same shit.

Still, the game companies report MAU numbers, Nielsen reports minutes viewed (even if that mean s only the first episode) and those are their respective industry standards.

You don't like it? I don't either. IT DOESN'T MATTER TO THEM.

Denying it doesn't do any good. It's a hill you gonna die on for nothing.

Better stick to topics that can be discussed. Like how BAD and not at all elf like was Morfydd Clark.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    "Amazon said" means little.
    Amazon said something that has the Nielsen numbers backing it up.

Unfortunately for all of us who wanted this to crash and burn, it didn't.
    /spit@Blizzard

Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    Still, the game companies report MAU numbers, Nielsen reports minutes viewed (even if that mean s only the first episode) and those are their respective industry standards.

You don't like it? I don't either. IT DOESN'T MATTER TO THEM..
    The difference is game companies are reporting metrics that their own investors rely on. Nielsen ratings and reports are completely 3rd party, and aren't metrics used by Amazon to correlate 'success'. Nielsen ratings are based on minutes viewed, while the Amazon exec was talking about total viewers who have watched the show, regardless of what actual time investment was spent on the episodes. These are two different metrics, like comparing MAU to Subs. They're not the same thing.

You're right about one thing regarding Nielsen ratings; IT DOESN'T MATTER TO THEM..
    Last edited by Triceron; 2023-02-06 at 05:27 PM.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    The difference is game companies are reporting metrics that their own investors rely on. Nielsen ratings and reports are completely 3rd party, and aren't metrics used by Amazon to correlate 'success'. Nielsen ratings are based on minutes viewed, while the Amazon exec was talking about total viewers who have watched the show, regardless of what actual time investment was spent on the episodes. These are two different metrics, like comparing MAU to Subs. They're not the same thing.

You're right about one thing regarding Nielsen ratings; IT DOESN'T MATTER TO THEM..
    I was not comparing the two metrics. I merely stated that us liking or disliking the metrics because arbitrary, statistics (that can be truthful and deceiving at the same time), nonsensical etc, has no bearing at the industry, because that's what they have decided to use.

Our opinions on the matter are irrelevant to the people who use those metrics to capitalise on the media market.

As for the Amazon exec, we have a saying where i come from. "The priest always blesses his own beard first"
    /spit@Blizzard

Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    I was not comparing the two metrics. I merely stated that us liking or disliking the metrics because arbitrary, statistics (that can be truthful and deceiving at the same time), nonsensical etc, has no bearing at the industry, because that's what they have decided to use.
    That's the thing though. The industry hasn't decided to use those metrics, otherwise Amazon would be touting those metrics themselves. Nielsen ratings isn't a universally accepted metric for gauging internal success of shows. Different streaming platforms have different goals for their companies. Netflix and Disney Plus relies on it heavier because streaming is their primary business. Apple TV exists to promote their product sales, and Prime Video exists to promote having Prime for online goods purchases, and they do not rely on these metrics as heavily.

Amazon is the industry we are talking about, and their streaming business is not built around minutes viewed.

Just like if there was a Minutes Played tracker for WoW and other MMOs, it wouldn't be relative to how Blizzard actually tracks their internal data through MAUs. MAU's only account for logging into any given game per month, regardless of time spent actually playing said game. Investors don't really care a bout counting how much time you're actually spending playing it. They care more about how much engagement a game gets per month/yearly quarter.

There is also some debate as to what the Originals list actually entails, and how the metrics are counted. Notice that House of the Dragons is not on the list? There's been questions as to whether it didn't get as many views, or if Nielsen were omitting it on the basis that it was not an Original series (prequel to GoT?) or because the metrics were based on streaming, while House of Dragons came out on cable first and that data may have not been considered into these metrics. So really, Nielsen may be accurate, but it's not perfect either.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2023-02-06 at 06:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you take someone who study guitar for decades and do a song, you know its good. You take a random person who never touched an instrument and ask to play a song, you know it will be, objectively, bad

Unless you wanna argue music isn't art.
    There are many musicians who don't consider themselves to be artists because, while they possess superb technical skills, they do not feel they have artistry. Likewise there are many musicians who have next to no technical skills whatsoever but are esteemed as artists.

You're trying to talk about skills and abilities as if they are what makes art good or bad. They aren't.

The Sex Pistols' music is as valid art as Yngwie Malmsteen's, even though the divide between their technical prowess is continental in scope.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes it can. There are categories of Art that have specific requirements. If you claim something is photo realism when it is not then it is objectively bad. It really is that simple. Art, like many other things, can be judged by objective standards. How do schools offer art degrees if everything is subjective? They would never be able to fail a student because they would be nothing to determine if it is bad or good.
    An abstract painting might be a poor example of photo realism, but it's not bad art. Or it might be considered an avant-garde statement about society.

Art doesn't give a shit about boxes or categories.

And FYI - Fine Arts degrees measure technical prowess, they don't measure the ability to create good art.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

15+ Year Old Account
    The Sex Pistols' music is as valid art as Yngwie Malmsteen's, even though the divide between their technical prowess is continental in scope.
    Doesn't this contradict your claim though? As in order to have a vastly different technical prowess their must be an objective standard to judge that prowess by. Otherwise they would be equals. You seem to be falling into the same type of trap as happens with opinions. Opinions can be wrong but you are never wrong for having one. Just like art can be objetively bad but interpretation of that art is subjective.

There is a reason why the phrase "So bad it's good" exists. Taste is almost always subjective so it can surpass objectivity.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    That's the thing though. The industry hasn't decided to use those metrics, otherwise Amazon would be touting those metrics themselves. Nielsen ratings isn't a universally accepted metric for gauging internal success of shows. Different streaming platforms have different goals for their companies. Netflix and Disney Plus relies on it heavier because streaming is their primary business. Apple TV exists to promote their product sales, and Prime Video exists to promote having Prime for online goods purchases, and they do not rely on these metrics as heavily.

Amazon is the industry we are talking about, and their streaming business is not built around minutes viewed.

Just like if there was a Minutes Played tracker for WoW and other MMOs, it wouldn't be relative to how Blizzard actually tracks their internal data through MAUs. MAU's only account for logging into any given game per month, regardless of time spent actually playing said game. Investors don't really care a bout counting how much time you're actually spending playing it. They care more about how much engagement a game gets per month/yearly quarter.

There is also some debate as to what the Originals list actually entails, and how the metrics are counted. Notice that House of the Dragons is not on the list? There's been questions as to whether it didn't get as many views, or if Nielsen were omitting it on the basis that it was not an Original series (prequel to GoT?) or because the metrics were based on streaming, while House of Dragons came out on cable first and that data may have not been considered into these metrics. So really, Nielsen may be accurate, but it's not perfect either.
    Most of what you're arguing about has been explained and answered above in various different posts. Your opinion is noted though.

I personally have nothing else to add to the discussion.
    /spit@Blizzard

15+ Year Old Account
    An abstract painting might be a poor example of photo realism, but it's not bad art. Or it might be considered an avant-garde statement about society.
    What is poor if not bad? All you are doing is playing word games because you've backed yourself into a corner. Why is a technical standard teaching how to create bad art? Those standards exist for a reason because they are objective measurements of what is good or bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    What is poor if not bad? All you are doing is playing word games because you've backed yourself into a corner. Why is a technical standard teaching how to create bad art? Those standards exist for a reason because they are objective measurements of what is good or bad.
    A poor example is not objectively bad, it's just mis-defined. Regardless, the definition of something is irrelevant to its merit as a piece of art.

Technical standards are not objective measurements of good or bad, or do you think Picasso never created any good art?

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn't this contradict your claim though? As in order to have a vastly different technical prowess their must be an objective standard to judge that prowess by. Otherwise they would be equals. You seem to be falling into the same type of trap as happens with opinions. Opinions can be wrong but you are never wrong for having one. Just like art can be objetively bad but interpretation of that art is subjective.

There is a reason why the phrase "So bad it's good" exists. Taste is almost always subjective so it can surpass objectivity.
    Technical prowess is not art, it is merely a tool. It is simply the means to one particular end. Art is the manifestation of human creativity, meaning it is inherently subjective - there is no such thing as "objectively bad" creativity.

The art of Yngwie Malmsteen and the art of the Sex Pistols are equal, that's my point. They use very different levels of technical prowess to produce equally valid art.
    Last edited by jackofwind; 2023-02-06 at 07:07 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    A poor example is not objectively bad, it's just mis-defined
    You are just beating around the bush. If something it a poor example of a standard then it is objectively bad. The definition of things is not irrelevant to merit as art. That is the entire point of those definitions existing. Picasso pioneered Cubism so it is a perfect example. As it shows objective set of standards being born.

Is art is subjective then a simple stick figure is as good as Picasso, right? Picasso can't be a good artist if there is no objective standard to judge him by. Art would be neither bad or good. Yet you keep using objective terms to support subjectivity. Strange if objectivity can not exist with art, right?

- - - Updated - - -

The art of Yngwie Malmsteen and the art of the Sex Pistols are equal, that's my point. They use very different levels of technical prowess to produce equally valid art.
    And so is the art of a goat bleating. Everything is equal means there is no good or bad. Technical prowess can not exist because there are standards to art. There is nothing to judge because all creation of art is equal. Yet you keep acknowledging that objective standards to art do exist. What you keep arguing about is interpretation or taste.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are just beating around the bush. If something it a poor example of a standard then it is objectively bad. The definition of things is not irrelevant to merit as art. That is the entire point of those definitions existing. Picasso pioneered Cubism so it is a perfect example. As it shows objective set of standards being born.

Is art is subjective then a simple stick figure is as good as Picasso, right? Picasso can't be a good artist if there is no objective standard to judge him by. Art would be neither bad or good. Yet you keep using objective terms to support subjectivity. Strange if objectivity can not exist with art, right?
    You are skipping over everything and picking out snippets to reply to, and arguing in bad faith.

To answer your question - literally yes. Yes, a stick figure is as valid a piece of art as a Picasso. Mondrian's art is incredibly simple, and is just as valid as the most technically proficient painting ever produced.

That's the entire point - all I've been saying is there is no such thing as "objectively bad art". I never said there also wasn't "objectively good art", which there isn't either. Art isn't "good" or "bad". Art is art. My personal opinion is that all art is inherently good, because creativity is good.

- - - Updated - - -

And so is the art of a goat bleating. Everything is equal means there is no good or bad. Technical prowess can not exist because there are standards to art. There is nothing to judge because all creation of art is equal.
    You're conflating technical prowess with the ability to produce art. Technical prowess is simple one way to produce art, it doesn't mean that someone without it is incapable of producing art. Technical prowess doesn't measure artistry, which you seem to be confused about.

All art is equally valid, goat bleating included.