Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    Yep, in poker terms he’s ‘pot committed’.

But that doesn’t work in yuppie’s fearmongering ‘fear the insane guy with a finger on a nuke button’ narrative.
    Some called it a zugzwang (where your every move makes everything worse but you need to keep moving) but I really feel this is his only play. In fact, I'm not sure he would have canceled the attack if he knew what would happen. He would have gone through with it. This is probably his last play.

He has always been a "shake things up and pick the pieces" kind of player. He's not very strategic. Opportunistic.
    Last edited by Voidism; 2023-02-11 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    SpaceX just recently said it has been limiting Ukraines use of Starlink.
    Yeah, posted on that a few days ago, it's not been in the news that much, while I'm sure the Ukrainians aren't happy about it, and we know the Pentagon is not happy about it, I have a feeling that a work around has been found.

SpaceX has been in talks with the Pentagon for months trying to get some big defense contract related to this, once those talks fell apart (the Pentagon doesn't seem to be willing to pay) SpaceX suddenly announced "they didn't intend their technology to be weaponized". Which is self evidently horseshit, they have a captive market and are trying to monetize it for everything it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Elder Millennial View Post
    Yeah, posted on that a few days ago, it's not been in the news that much, while I'm sure the Ukrainians aren't happy about it, and we know the Pentagon is not happy about it, I have a feeling that a work around has been found.

SpaceX has been in talks with the Pentagon for months trying to get some big defense contract related to this, once those talks fell apart (the Pentagon doesn't seem to be willing to pay) SpaceX suddenly announced "they didn't intend their technology to be weaponized". Which is self evidently horseshit, they have a captive market and are trying to monetize it for everything it's worth.
    Why is he gambling on this? Isn't it pretty stupid to mess like this with the American government?

Quote Originally Posted by Voidism View Post
    Why is he gambling on this? Isn't it pretty stupid to mess like this with the American government?
    Your asking why Elon Musk is being stupid? Have you been on the internet in the last decade?
    He does stupid shit somewhat regularly.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Your asking why Elon Musk is being stupid? Have you been on the internet in the last decade?
    If he's that stupid, he wouldn't get to where he is though?

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    man you'd fuckin' think. But it turns out enough money can insulate even the dumbest of asses from the consequences of their actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    man you'd fuckin' think. But it turns out enough money can insulate even the dumbest of asses from the consequences of their actions.
    Hmm... maybe it's a case of being too rich to have fun anymore. Like a guy who has everything, so tries to go in reverse... or something? :s

Well, pootler invaded Ukraine so it's not like people aren't doing things that will ultimately hurt them in the end.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    I read somebody's tweet that pretty much said:
    Elon brought electric cars to mainstream attention, I knew nothing of electric cars so I thought he was a genius.
    Elon got Space X going strong, I knew nothing of rocket science so I thought he was a genius.
    Elon bought Twitter and I've watched what he's doing. I AM a software engineer. Elon is not a genius.
    That immediately made me question my previous two thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    I read somebody's tweet that pretty much said:
    Elon brought electric cars to mainstream attention, I knew nothing of electric cars so I thought he was a genius.
    Elon got Space X going strong, I knew nothing of rocket science so I thought he was a genius.
    Elon bought Twitter and I've watched what he's doing. I AM a software engineer. Elon is not a genius.
    That immediately made me question my previous two thoughts.
    I wonder how Tesla and SpaceX would have developed without him.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder how Tesla and SpaceX would have developed without him.
    Without him they wouldn't have had the cash to do much.
    If I recall for those two, he hired people who knew what to do, forked over enough cash to make it happen under them, and pretty much let them do their jobs while he didn't directly interfere much. Mostly PR.
    Which is what a person should do if they are needing expertise outside their bailiwick. Get an expert.
    Twitter, he's got his hands all up in that bitch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

He's power tripping.

Have you been watching the Twitter saga?

One thing is for sure, he made sure not to have many fans in the Pentagon. Tho to make it legitimately worse, thousands of Starlink units have been bought for Ukraine by various NATO and EU governments and private donors. Questions are being raised there too.

They are killing the PR golden goose in a desperate attempt for short term gains.

"Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

10+ Year Old Account
    They're not "claiming" to be pregnant, they are. Why do you lie?

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    They're not "claiming" to be pregnant, they are. Why do you lie?
    My bad I got too agitated while reading that story. Not lying, though.

But if you read the article, this is part of an endemic issue with Russians abusing loopholes to live abroad than in Russia. While there are crackdowns like this to deport them, I wish it was taken more seriously; plenty of Russians have managed to escape their homeland to live comfortable lives while supporting Putin. We saw that in the Australian Open, recently, for example.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    My bad I got too agitated while reading that story. Not lying, though.

But if you read the article, this is part of an endemic issue with Russians abusing loopholes to live abroad than in Russia. While there are crackdowns like this to deport them, I wish it was taken more seriously; plenty of Russians have managed to escape their homeland to live comfortable lives while supporting Putin. We saw that in the Australian Open, recently, for example.
    "If we read the article" because you obviously don't.

15+ Year Old Account
    That's the thing: You don't have to be smart to be a billionaire. That's a myth. Elon is an aggressive manchild who silences anyone who would ruin the narrative that he's smart, as well as paying popular TV shows like family guy to portray him as some kind of genius.

He's dumb and he's unstable, and on top of that he's taken Russian/Saudi money to cover his purchase of Twitter.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Sure, let them in. As long as they burn their Russian passport at the border.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Sure, let them in. As long as they burn their Russian passport at the border.
    I'd require them to burn the bridges properly. Have them renounce Putin and his cohorts, as well as whole RuZZki army as murdering terrorists that need to be utterly crushed and defeated. There, now they can't just nillywilly call the embassy for new passport.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    I'd require them to burn the bridges properly. Have them renounce Putin and his cohorts, as well as whole RuZZki army as murdering terrorists that need to be utterly crushed and defeated. There, now they can't just nillywilly call the embassy for new passport.
    It seems that they are at least of the: "we don't want war and we are critical of putin"-variety, but they're not of the: "we're destroying all our bridges"-variety. I don't know the russian law regarding citizenship so I don't know if it's even technically possible to renounce your citizenship. (some countries don't allow you to renounce your citizenship, such as Morocco and...Argentina.)

Sounds like they are trying to get foreign citizenship for their kids, but a pesky little thing like that won't worry russian authorities when they start conscripting 10 or 12 year olds.