Thread: Last of Us [TV]

Page 27 of 45 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    What was important about Maria's ethnicity in the game that one could not select an actor good for the show regardless of ethnicity?

"Woke" is the wrong expression here. That seems a low class use of language on your part.
    Ethnicity is never important when the subject is a white folk but I bet you they'll go to hell to find a good black Marlene, asian Jesse and jewish Dina.

Quote Originally Posted by Khain View Post
    Ethnicity is never important when the subject is a white folk but I bet you they'll go to hell to find a good black Marlene, asian Jesse and jewish Dina.
    Answer the question asked. What was important about Maria's ethnicity that needed to be preserved?

Why could the producers not cast an actor they felt could do the job well regardless of ethnicity?

Ethnicity hasn't been a factor in any of these episodes at all. Sexuality, yes. But not ethnicity.

I don't recall ethnicity coming into play regarding any character or metaphor in both games either. I might have forgotten if it was though.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2023-02-20 at 05:17 AM.

poggers dude let's do it.

Who fucking cares what the races of any of these characters are, their race a part of the character.

This is some terminally online 4chan nonsense right here lol

You know Pedro Pascal isn't white, right? And Joel in the games is.

And his performance is amazing.

Almost like you're just being racist or somethin', I dunno.
    Last edited by Arlette; 2023-02-20 at 05:23 AM.

Answer the question asked. What was important about Maria's ethnicity that needed to be preserved?

Why could the producers not cast an actor they felt could do the job well regardless of ethnicity?
    I answered. Ethnicity is not important as long as it is a white folk.

I answered. Ethnicity is not important as long as it is a white folk.
    No, that doesn't answer anything. What does that have to do with the Maria character.

No, that doesn't answer anything. What does that have to do with the Maria character.
    She was white so it doesn't matter if they change. Who cares white people lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arlette View Post
    You know Pedro Pascal isn't white, right? And Joel in the games is.
    What color is Pedro Pascal?

What color is Pedro Pascal?
    Oh so you're just dropping the pretense all together and just being full blown racist now, got it.

Couldn't even last an hour lol

Oh so you're just dropping the pretense all together and just being full blown racist now, got it.

Couldn't even last an hour lol
    why am I being racist?

you didn't answer my question, what color is pedro pascal?

why am I being racist?

you didn't answer my question, what color is pedro pascal?
    Pedro Pascal isn't white, the fuck kind of racist gotcha do you think you're trying to set up here lol

Pedro Pascal isn't white, the fuck kind of racist gotcha do you think you're trying to set up here lol
    He has white skin therefore he is white.

Yeahhhhh I think that's enough racism I'm going to tolerate, see ya.

Yeahhhhh I think that's enough racism I'm going to tolerate, see ya.
    okay see ya.

o_O

It takes a certain kind of weapons grade terrible take for me to agree with @Arlette but holy smokes dude. You really need to open up your mind a bit here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Great acting and great episode, but did they really had to race change Maria to black in a story that is already giga woke.
    Bro its literally outside of the "woke vs anti-woke" debate to just hire the best person they could find for the role. Maybe you want to argue Rutina Wesley isn't a good actor, in which I would strongly disagree with.

The character's race has 0 barring on the story. Only those who played the game would know the game characters race - it doesn't matter there, nor has the show ever attempted to be a 1:1 recreation of the game. But why wouldn't Tommy choose a black wife? Has he ever stated that he wouldn't? Is there something wrong with it? Let's just play into the idea that people only choose partners who look like them, why wouldn't a Hispanic man choose to be with a dark skin woman? Hell, Joel obviously was, see Sarah.

Purely in-universe perspective, how many women are there around? If Tommy had a type before, he surely isn't going to be too choosy 20 years into the apocalypse with decent people few and far in between.

Its like you've conditioned yourself to immediately think, "the show must be trying to go woke" whenever characters aren't a CIS white male and blonde white female.

Also WTF. They are out west. You might want to relearn the geography and migration of people to the western portion of the US if you think most people in the area are white. The two very brown people in the cabin weren't immigrants. The chances of any survivors out there not being white are high.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2023-02-20 at 05:53 AM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    o_O

It takes a certain kind of weapons grade terrible take for me to agree with @Arlette but holy smokes dude. You really need to open up your mind a bit here.
    No wonder you're one of the dumbest and most hated people in these forums.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Bro its literally outside of the "woke vs anti-woke" debate to just hire the best person they could find for the role. Maybe you want to argue Rutina Wesley isn't a good actor, in which I would strongly disagree with.

The character's race has 0 barring on the story. Only those who played the game would know the game characters race - it doesn't matter there, nor has the show ever attempted to be a 1:1 recreation of the game. But why wouldn't Tommy choose a black wife? Has he ever stated that he wouldn't? Is there something wrong with it? Let's just play into the idea that people only choose partners who look like them, why wouldn't a Hispanic man choose to be with a dark skin woman? Hell, Joel obviously was, see Sarah.

Purely in-universe perspective, how many women are there around? If Tommy had a type before, he surely isn't going to be too choosy 20 years into the apocalypse with decent people few and far in between.

Its like you've conditioned yourself to immediately think, "the show must be trying to go woke" whenever characters aren't a CIS white male and blonde white female.

Also WTF. They are out west. You might want to relearn the geography and migration of people to the western portion of the US if you think most people in the area are white. The two very brown people in the cabin weren't immigrants. The chances of any survivors out there not being white are high.
    I already explained myself, I don't give a fuck she was race swapped, doesn't impact the story yada yada. But the fact remains, that the woke agent exist, it's everywhere and it's hard not to notice and be annoyed.

No wonder you're one of the dumbest and most hated people in these forums.
    Jesus man, just grow up. Take the L, apologize for being weirdly racist and move on.

- - - Updated - - -

I already explained myself, I don't give a fuck she was race swapped, doesn't impact the story yada yada. But the fact remains, that the woke agent exist, it's everywhere and it's hard not to notice and be annoyed.
    There is no "woke agenda." It's called representation. Turns out, people of color or who identify as a marginalized group like seeing other people of color and marginalized groups cast in roles on television shows. And yeah, sometimes it is performative but this is 100% a situation where Maria's race swapped actress had absolutely no bearing on anything in the story and she was likely cast because she previously had a role in HBO's True Blood. There isn't anything all that complicated here. There's no woke boogeyman out there convincing Hollywood into race swapping everything just to fuck with you.

Jesus man, just grow up. Take the L, apologize for being weirdly racist and move on.
    There's nothing more racist than NA woke agenda.

- - - Updated - - -

There is no "woke agenda." It's called representation. Turns out, people of color or who identify as a marginalized group like seeing other people of color and marginalized groups cast in roles on television shows. And yeah, sometimes it is performative but this is 100% a situation where Maria's race swapped actress had absolutely no bearing on anything in the story and she was likely cast because she previously had a role in HBO's True Blood. There isn't anything all that complicated here. There's no woke boogeyman out there convincing Hollywood into race swapping everything just to fuck with you.
    Do you think a show like Velma is not woke?

Do you think a show like Velma is not woke?
    No, I think a show like Velma is really fucking stupid and didn't need to get made.

No, I think a show like Velma is really fucking stupid and didn't need to get made.
    Do you see a trend in Hollywood in the last few years to race/gender and sexuality swap stablished characters to promote inclusivity, diversity and tolerance?

Cut the shit about "woke agendas" out. It is offtopic and forbidden for this subforum. This also goes for people who engage with said shit.