Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I see it as part of a resume.../not joking.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehquo View Post
    The Log-In screen was just made as a fun concept.. I was very bored.. (couldn't be bothered doing keys). I didn't realise how much of a debate it would bring, but it is definitely really interesting to read a lot of your takes on this, a lot even most of it I agree on, wasted man hours, better things to fix, why do this, you're only there for 3 seconds, and agree, but genuinely.. I was bored. It's motion graphics. More than happy to show you some of the workings for it.
    Assuming this post is legit.

The hate isnt towards the creation, its towards the other people that request irrelevant shit as if its the fix the game needs and all problems are gone, mmo-champion tends to have many people that hate the game, but are on here 24/7 talking about it.

Its a good portfolio project, but thats about it.

So many things wrong in what the OP is saying ...
    First of all, the fan is not a random person that just got bored on a sunday and did this in a few hours with 0 knowledge.
    Second of all, there's no restrictions to what the fan can do, no direction to follow and it doesn't even have to work outside of a PoC
    And lastly .. it's a log in screen where people barley spend more than 1 second at, it's a clear waste of resources to go ahead and create an elabore full of features log in screen.

7+ Year Old Account
    The Log-In screen was just made as a fun concept.. I was very bored.. (couldn't be bothered doing keys). I didn't realise how much of a debate it would bring, but it is definitely really interesting to read a lot of your takes on this, a lot even most of it I agree on, wasted man hours, better things to fix, why do this, you're only there for 3 seconds, and agree, but genuinely.. I was bored. It's motion graphics. More than happy to show you some of the workings for it.
    Oh hey that would be wonderful.
    I am sorry if me pointing out "its just editing" to the people thinking this is an actual working in game thing might come off rude but as someone in the editing business I appreatiate the work that goes into something like this, although FAR different set of work then making an actual working type.
    it would be quite great to see some of the behind the scenes on something like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Keyboard Turner
    1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Oh hey that would be wonderful.
    I am sorry if me pointing out "its just editing" to the people thinking this is an actual working in game thing might come off rude but as someone in the editing business I appreatiate the work that goes into something like this, although FAR different set of work then making an actual working type.
    it would be quite great to see some of the behind the scenes on something like this.
    You're not wrong at all, it is just editing, most of if not all the UI elements are from WoW.tools, spent an hour or two looking for frames and such from that part of the UI (the way they name things hurts my head) and the background is me trying not get annoyed when a player flys past me while I'm trying to record for the background, the models are from WoW Model Viewer. I would love to have the technical know how to get all this stuff into blender.. but I do not. But really it's all green screen and in-game recording. There is 0 magical code that goes into this. I wouldn't want to be the one if ever they did this, the spaghetti code I hear they have to go through to do something with sounds like a nightmare.

I cannot post images nor links, my account is too new. I will post a few times I guess hah.

i.imgur.com/VceQVHw.png
    i.imgur.com/AZ8m8Vk.png
    i.imgur.com/e8GrMwc.png
    i.imgur.com/wREijm4.png
    i.imgur.com/0NSgV4F.png
    i.imgur.com/D9ZFF9A.png
    i.imgur.com/IPvgIwQ.png
    Last edited by Tehquo; 2023-02-22 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Images.

You're not wrong at all, it is just editing, most of if not all the UI elements are from WoW.tools, spent an hour or two looking for frames and such from that part of the UI (the way they name things hurts my head) and the background is me trying not get annoyed when a player flys past me while I'm trying to record for the background, the models are from WoW Model Viewer. I would love to have the technical know how to get all this stuff into blender.. but I do not. But really it's all green screen and in-game recording. There is 0 magical code that goes into this. I wouldn't want to be the one if ever they did this, the spaghetti code I hear they have to go through to do something with sounds like a nightmare.

I cannot post images nor links, my account is too new. I will post a few times I guess hah.

i.imgur.com/VceQVHw.png
    i.imgur.com/AZ8m8Vk.png
    i.imgur.com/e8GrMwc.png
    i.imgur.com/wREijm4.png
    i.imgur.com/0NSgV4F.png
    i.imgur.com/D9ZFF9A.png
    i.imgur.com/IPvgIwQ.png
    Amazing work, thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Lawlhero View Post
    This. It'd be a better investment if blizzard just bought a license for peggle and had that on the log in screen.
    Well, I mean, they literally own candy crush...

7+ Year Old Account

i.imgur.com/VceQVHw.png
    i.imgur.com/AZ8m8Vk.png
    i.imgur.com/e8GrMwc.png
    i.imgur.com/wREijm4.png
    i.imgur.com/0NSgV4F.png
    i.imgur.com/D9ZFF9A.png
    i.imgur.com/IPvgIwQ.png
    hahah I have had countless hours of Broll ruined by someone just flying into frame then afking there, or stepping infreont of me, or fucking about etc.

but yeah this is all really well done, amazing job!

The concept is very good, but I would prefer to see a simpler and clearer Character Selector, like in Warhammer Online.
    https://imgur.com/a/JGmjEjx
    Last edited by Loreth88; 2023-02-22 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantazma View Post
    Jesus guys !!! I would really like to see you guys with all this energy to say that making bouquets of flowers like xmog is also pretty pointless.
    You just keep making false comparisons after false comparisons. The transmog feature is nowhere near the same as your proposed idea in your OP. Because the character selection screen is just one you see for just a few seconds, at most, and have basically basically no interaction aside from selecting a character to log on, at which point the screen is gone.

Meanwhile the transmogrification feature is something that not only you can customize, but there's several hundreds of different, individual options you can mix-and-match to form thousands if not millions of possible different transmogrification sets for your character. Not to mention that your transmogrification choices are going to stay with you forever (save exceptions, i.e. the dracthyr race) until you decide to change to a different look.

But many of you don't think so, right? And I respect that. Notice how useful and useless when it comes to something visual is totally subjective and doesn't even deserve a judgment.
    Do you? Do you really? Your entire post heavily indicates you don't.

This artist's work was amazing and he deserves all the respect in this world
    Literally no one is disrespecting the artist's work.

And why are many of you believing that Blizzard designers time is super scarce and they would need 30 people for a whole month to do
    No one said "time is super scarce". We're saying it's limited. Because when a gaming company initiates a project, they already have a rough deadline, long before they even reveal to the public the release date. Why? Money. Each day that the game isn't released not only it's money not earned, but also money spent. Because developers need to be paid for their work. "We'll release it when it's ready" is a nice sentiment, but it's not an actual portrayal of reality. They have only a limited amount of time to create everything, so a non-insignificant amount of things originally planned are left laying on the cutting room floor before implementation finally starts.

something that a young guy out there did in 4 days in his spare time...? ?
    How do you know he did that "with just his spare time"? At best, digging through his stuff, he says he made it in 4-5 days. No mention of 'just his spare time'.

Quote Originally Posted by Loveliest View Post

You're very sadly mistaken if you think women put on make up because they need to make a good impression on men... it's so sad it's funny...

Hnnn... in fact there are also women who apply makeup for other women, for themselves and even those who don't apply makeup. In my analogy I was only thinking of the most common type. Forgive me if I generalized.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    You just keep making false comparisons after false comparisons.
    I don't understand why my analogy is a problem.
    You all are in a collective delirium.
    You're basically saying that the packaging of a product doesn't matter (and yes, men and women who dress well regardless of whether it's more visible clothes or intimate ones... it makes a big difference in interpersonal relationships, and... yes... .the character selection screen is also part of the game's "packaging").

Are you sure you guys are going to throw centuries of study into visual marketing and say things like "the cover of a book doesn't matter" just to spite Uncle Fantazma? Really?

You also said that my comparison is aggressive and worsens my image. (I can't find again where you said that..)
    Well, as for "aggressiveness" I apologize if it was offensive to anyone. It must be my culture. In my country children become "adults" too soon and writing "panties" in a game forum is natural for me. But I understand that many here didn't have the bad education I had and I apologize.

As for my image... I think I'm doing a good job..

Hnnn... in fact there are also women who apply makeup for other women, for themselves and even those who don't apply makeup. In my analogy I was only thinking of the most common type. Forgive me if I generalized.

- - - Updated - - -

You're basically saying that the packaging of a product doesn't matter (and yes, men and women who dress well regardless of whether it's more visible clothes or intimate ones... it makes a big difference in interpersonal relationships, and... yes... .the character selection screen is also part of the game's "packaging").

Are you sure you guys are going to throw centuries of study into visual marketing and say things like "the cover of a book doesn't matter" just to spite Uncle Fantazma? Really?

You also said that my comparison is aggressive and worsens my image. (I can't find again where you said that..)
    Well, as for "aggressiveness" I apologize if it was offensive to anyone. It must be my culture. In my country children become "adults" too soon and writing "panties" in a game forum is natural for me. But I understand that many here didn't have the bad education I had and I apologize.

So what you've described isn't the packaging. It's more like the tape on the package. You're way overstating how much a login screen that 90% of people don't pay attention matters and you're diminishing how much actual work goes into making assets from effectively scratch. The original creator of your link actually points out how much real work Blizz would need to do. On top of that you hard-core overgeneralized how many people actually give a shit about looks in regards to attraction. Yes, we all know people care. But pretending everyone cares to the same degree is absolutely asinine.

Dude. Give it a rest.

7+ Year Old Account
    something that a young guy out there did in 4 days in his spare time...? ?.
    need to remind you again, as the person who made this even came in here to show some of the behind the scenes of it.
    It is not actually something they made in 4 days
    it is a VIDEO they made in 4 days.
    Still impressive, but it is not like they made an actual working and operational system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who gives a fuck about a login screen?

I want more dungeons and raids, not useless transmog or login screens

A little while ago we saw that guy who has a page on the artstation with several heritage armor or class armor that (in my humble opinion) are much more badass than some xmogs made by Blizzard's own designers.

You can check out his excellent work here at this link below:

https://handclaw.artstation.com/albums/1137119

Now a dude has re-created the character selection screen and (again a fan being better than a pro) and it looks amazing, and with tons of customization options.

Finally, I leave here a beautiful love letter that I hope my beloved will read:

Dear Blizzard... you are no longer ashamed of copying what worked in other MMOs... so please start copying some fan ideas too or (who knows?!) hire that fan. The history of motorsport is full of cases like this where the manufacturer's users improved various car concepts and there's no problem with you doing the same.

https://www.wowhead.com/news/fan-re-...31505#comments
    He has not made a character selection screen. He has made a mock up with video editing and animation software that is nowhere near in working condition. Nothing you see in that video is real.

snip
    It looks great. But does it add anything? i rather have 2 rows of hero's then this "pretty" hero select screen. Would love to see a update like this that being said.

And yes you like it....but spend time on this forum please. every change blizzard makes gets 10 pro's and 10 anti comments. they are very careful

And therein lies the problem. You either don't see it, or you don't want to see it. You're comparing things that aren't related, in any way, and you even continue to do so in your response to me, by equating a book's cover and a package's art to the character selection screen.

Dude, please. Don't project your own situation onto us.

You're basically saying that the packaging of a product doesn't matter
    No one is saying that, because no one but you is equating the character selection screen to the packaging of a product. Because, again, it's a false comparison. Box art is part of the packaging. The character selection screen is not. A product's package is supposed to draw in customers to buy the product. Or, in the case of WoW, to try the product. When you finally get to see the character selection screen, which you should be reminded that you don't get to see the character selection screen when you first boot up the game, you're sent straight to the starting zones, you basically already got the product.

No one is equating the character selection screen to a book's cover. You're the only one doing that. Again, it's a false comparison. Like I said: you just keep making false comparisons after false comparisons.

Dude, it's a five-page thread, and I've only posted in it twice by the time you typed that response. If you couldn't find "where you think I said that", then that says a lot about you, honestly.

Of running it into the ground? If so, I agree, you are doing a good job.
    Last edited by Ielenia; 2023-02-22 at 07:43 PM.

7+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

1- "I am not the one in the wrong, everyone else is!"
    2- packaging does matter, character select screen is not packaging, people have to go through a LOT of stuff before they get to character login screen
    ads, website, bnet launcher, cinematic, login screen, charecter creation, then the game itself, only then when they log off their first charecter will they be shown the login screen.
    3- again you keep making these weird and gross examples and then say "as for my image I think I'm doing a good job" no, you are doing a horrible job, by your comparison to the login screen being the panties of a prositute, like who the fuck goes to that as their first example?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Dear Blizzard... you are no longer ashamed of copying what worked in other MMOs... so please start copying some fan ideas too or (who knows?!) hire that fan. The history of motorsport is full of cases like this where the manufacturer's users improved various car concepts and there's no problem with you doing the same.
    lol sorry to burst your bubbles, but they never were ashamed in the first place. They'll just never admit which games they took from, even though those of us who explore other MMOs (there certainly are plenty of people who don't give any other game a moment's thought, much less try them out) know precisely what was taken from who.

Like the whole profession change? It's still not as good as what FFXIV has, but it's a step in the right direction.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water