Thread: Last of Us [TV]

Page 31 of 45 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tomten View Post
    You know people watch this show without having played the game right? I've told you this before.
    So unless you played the game and know every little detail about it... What did this episode actually offer?
    We already know she got infected, did you need an entire fluff episode to show that?
    Why is it so extremely important? To keep it authentic with the game?
    If this was the most important event in ellies story? The show heading for disaster...

- - - Updated - - -

I'm fully aware but if you want to be disingenuous about it, for the sake of it and avoid reality and how its used, go right ahead, be that hypocrite.

- - - Updated - - -

You dont see the irony in this? The screeching that is made if you just happen to mislabel someone by mistake? The hypocrisy is unreal.
    I dont really get the sports car reference. Or are you saying you can't like something and at the same time have critique and opinions about it?
    I like the show, i really do, for context? I really liked the ben and frank episode, was a really good episode even if i dont relate on a personal level because that episode was just really really good and well executed on so many levels and I felt it added to the show, not took away. Honestly, i think that episode is my favorite so far in the entire series. I've watched it multiple times.
    This episode? Not so much.
    Then you’d know that everything you’re spewing is just uninformed hate mongering and conjecture.
    The funny thing is that it’s a term recognized in the Oxford dictionary and just means that you identify as the sex you were assigned at birth, and the only people who attempt to turn it into a derogatory slur are those who are uninformed and apply meaning to it that doesn’t exist.

Also, in your response to Molliewoof, are you stating you don’t identify as a man who was born male?

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Actually yes, it's pretty dam important back story on Ellie from around the point when she got infected. They inserted the episode exactly where the flashback takes place in the main game timeline to boot. Unless you think Ellie being infected or what happens to Riley isn't a big part of the story I have no idea what the fuck you're talking about but you either paid 0 attention or you ran out of talking points and can't go mask off because it's one of the most important events in Ellie's story.

You just seem entirely clueless if you didn't already realize this was both a thing and extremely important.

- - - Updated - - -

You actually barely know shit without Left Behind. Ellie is intentionally vague about what happened, and it was written that way in both the game and the series to set up left behind. Joel didn't even know Ellie was gay until she started dating Dina lmao so it's absolutely hilarious to act like Ellie perfectly told her back story with Riley
    you don't need every little detail, I've never played the games or looked into the story of tlou at all and had everything I needed to know outside of exactly who went into the mall with Ellie. All they needed for the show was to show the who and they do that in 10 minutes. Her being gay was inferred enough from those same 10 minutes and could have been confirmed later on with another relationship for those that didn't really figure it all out.
    This was DLC I'm told and it shows, DLC is interesting for video game players because we play it for hours and get 10 minutes of extra story, the show gives you the story and doesn't need to spoon feed it for an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Every other episode has been focused on defining a character that's probably going to dead by the end of it, I thought people recognized the pattern by now.
    I think that's...kind of the problem. It's feeling a bit formulaic for a few folks. When it comes to deeply personal stories like this it either hits or it doesn't. Seems like this episode missed that mark for a lot of viewers. For me, it was perfect. But I can see why some people were less warm about this episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    I do suggest you never watch any show made for teens ever if you think a kiss is a sexual setting because you’ll be horrified at the perversion that’s been hidden in media since tv shows we’re first made.
    Grease came out in 1978 and there was talk about fucking, making their car into a "pussy wagon", multiple references to tits (by that particular nomenclature), and a pregnancy scare. Among 50s high school students.

There was an attempted rape in Back To The Future, by Biff against Marty's mom.

What he's really upset about is fairly clear.

You know people watch this show without having played the game right?
    You are aware the show is based off a game and this episode was as close to 1:1 with game story as you could get right? You basically wanted them to retcon the game story because you are offended by seeing 2 girls kiss, let's cut the bullshit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    you don't need every little detail, I've never played the games or looked into the story of tlou at all and had everything I needed to know outside of exactly who went into the mall with Ellie. All they needed for the show was to show the who and they do that in 10 minutes. Her being gay was inferred enough from those same 10 minutes and could have been confirmed later on with another relationship for those that didn't really figure it all out.
    This was DLC I'm told and it shows, DLC is interesting for video game players because we play it for hours and get 10 minutes of extra story, the show gives you the story and doesn't need to spoon feed it for an hour.
    It was DLC planned from before the game was released and 10 hour DLC don't make me laugh, the DLC is about 2 hours and the walking story and cutscenes part is basically 40% or half of that 2 hours which is what this episode covers so basically the exact same shit.

It's complete bullshit to claim Ellie and Riley's backstory is fleshed out before left behind, there is a reason it was planned into the game and series both from the start. It's not like Ellie more explicitly explains the situation in the series, it's the same shit just bare minimum hints at best.

You want exhibit A on how bullshit your claim is? The fact people who never played left behind got out raged and claimed Ellie being gay was an ass pull after seeing TLOU2 trailers. Yea bro, it was totally so obvious and fleshed out /s. There was hints at it for sure but you still couldn't say anything clearly without pulling assumptions out of your ass without left behind to fill in the blanks.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2023-02-27 at 11:28 PM.

You are aware the show is based off a game and this episode was as close to 1:1 with game story as you could get right? You basically wanted them to retcon the game story because you are offended by seeing 2 girls kiss, let's cut the bullshit.

- - - Updated - - -

It was DLC planned from before the game was released and 10 hour DLC don't make me laugh, the DLC is about 2 hours and the walking story and cutscenes part is basically 40% or half of that 2 hours which is what this episode covers so basically the exact same shit.

It's complete bullshit to claim Ellie and Riley's backstory is fleshed out before left behind, there is a reason it was planned into the game and series both from the start. It's not like Ellie more explicitly explains the situation in the series, it's the same shit just bare minimum hints at best.

You want exhibit A on how bullshit your claim is? The fact people who never played left behind got out raged and claimed Ellie being gay was an ass pull after seeing TLOU2 trailers. Yea bro, it was totally so obvious and fleshed out /s. There was hints at it for sure but you still couldn't say anything clearly without pulling assumptions out of your ass without left behind to fill in the blanks.
    One thing about the way they seem to be adapting the show -- they're doing it almost completely sans-gameplay elements from the original material. The whole chase sequence from the DLC that was was very tense... one of my favorite parts of the DLC and they just... didn't even bother trying to do it. It's just one mad mushroom man. I think Mazin said it was because they wanted Ellie to be truly terrified by the horde in KC but I imagine a lot of it was budgetary-related. Hopefully with the show being a major hit we get to see more of this stuff fleshed out in Season 2.

Just to weigh in on the episode itself, I thought it was fantastic. I played both TLoU and TLoU2, but not the DLC portions. Reading these forums about the episode, it followed the DLC really well.
    Now, I understand why some ppl might not have enjoyed it much. The pacing was slow for a point in the show where I think most ppl are expecting more of a faster pace at this point, especially where people aren’t expecting a character building episode.
    That aside, I watch a lot of reviews on YouTube, and I constantly hear a gripe about “show, don’t tell.” This episode did that perfectly. It shows why Ellie reacts and does what she does. I liked how it showed that Ellie seems to be someone that others have to take care of, but she’s not as timid as she appears. It also shows why she might have some training in first aid and stitching a wound, instead of just being naturally good at it or being walked thru by someone else. The moment at the end with Riley, and the line about ‘whether it’s 2 minutes or 2 days,’ showing why she stayed with Joel instead of going on a futile trip to get Tommy whether to save Joel or not. There were also some minor differences that could symbolize a lot, such as Riley and Ellie holding hands but Ellie taking a while to actually close her fingers around Riley’s, whereas with Joel she went and immediately grabbed his hand and he squeezed back.
    Overall, I really enjoyed the episode as it really showed some character development for Ellie, and why she acts the way she does in some situations. I can definitely see how some might not have liked the pacing at this point in the story, but I thought it was a really good part to interject that part of Ellie’s background.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    One thing about the way they seem to be adapting the show -- they're doing it almost completely sans-gameplay elements from the original material. The whole chase sequence from the DLC that was was very tense... one of my favorite parts of the DLC and they just... didn't even bother trying to do it. It's just one mad mushroom man. I think Mazin said it was because they wanted Ellie to be truly terrified by the horde in KC but I imagine a lot of it was budgetary-related. Hopefully with the show being a major hit we get to see more of this stuff fleshed out in Season 2.
    I’d be curious as to how they do this. It’s been a while, but I remember more of a human enemy element in the 2nd game, minus very few parts.
    This is actually one of my gripes with the current season, it is very low on the actual infected threat. Not enough to not enjoy the show, but I do think it would have been nice to have some more stealth parts of them sneaking around some areas.

- - - Updated - - -

How many times do I have to repeat I've never played the games. Dlc is extra bit of filler and this episode was filler. You also don't need their whole back story, we got it from her being introduced and 10 minutes.

Also as I said, this isn't a video game, this isn't people skipping cut scenes to go back to shooting zombies. This was on screen, in your face, 2 people talking, you aren't missing it. Plenty of hints were dropped about Ellie and the mall, the only thing we didn't know was the who. First 10 minutes it's cleared up.

The worst thing about episodes like this is you know what's going to happen the second they flashback, scene by scene you are left waiting for whats coming, and the second worst thing about episodes like this is when they flash back and add absolutely nothing to what you already knew.

Let's put it this way, this episode is exactly for someone like me who doesn't know the whole story. And I'm saying it's entirely skippable, doesn't need to exist.
    Last edited by StillMcfuu; 2023-02-28 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Khain View Post
    It's weird cuz it never happens the other way around. There's like a quota for how many white folks can be in a show/movie now days.

Lets make a bet who isn't going to be white next season

Abby
    Owen
    Pregnant doctor

I vote for Owen.
    Guess why it never happens the other way around? I'll give you three guesses, but you only need one.

Let's put it this way, this episode is exactly for someone like me who doesn't know the whole story. And I'm saying it's entirely skippable, doesn't need to exist.
    Thankfully, "random dude on the internet" is not the onus by which this show's merits are weighted. You're free to feel it was an unnecessary episode just as others are free to have enjoyed it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    Guess why it never happens the other way around? I'll give you three guesses, but you only need one.
    Wha...? Are you joking? This is one of the most common things that Hollywood does. All the fucking time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitew...Dwhite%20roles
    Last edited by Relapses; 2023-02-28 at 01:21 AM.

Thankfully, "random dude on the internet" is not the onus by which this show's merits are weighted. You're free to feel it was an unnecessary episode just as others are free to have enjoyed it.

- - - Updated - - -

Wha...? Are you joking? This is one of the most common things that Hollywood does. All the fucking time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitew...Dwhite%20roles
    That's cool, I'm not saying you couldn't enjoy it. He responded to me rating the episode lowly because I felt it gave us nothing in backstory that we didn't already know.
    His reasons were I couldn't possibly know the specifics and I said I don't need to know the specifics, we've already been told through normal storytelling what happened, where, why, etc we just never had the full scoop on who.
    He made allusions that I couldn't possibly know and it was there for people who haven't played the games. But I've never played the games, I'm the exact audience for this episode and I'm saying it's superfluous.
    I didn't say you couldn't enjoy the episode, seeing the episode is likely more of a kick for people who have played the games. I'm looking at it from a series and outsider perspective and I think it detracts from the series which has been pretty stellar so far. It's a Voyager flashback/dream episode, maybe in 3 seasons from now we will find out alternate alien voyager visited a planet and prescrewed up relations for when the real voyager gets there, but that's not in the cards right now for tlou.

That's cool, I'm not saying you couldn't enjoy it. He responded to me rating the episode lowly because I felt it gave us nothing in backstory that we didn't already know.
    His reasons were I couldn't possibly know the specifics and I said I don't need to know the specifics, we've already been told through normal storytelling what happened, where, why, etc we just never had the full scoop on who.
    He made allusions that I couldn't possibly know and it was there for people who haven't played the games. But I've never played the games, I'm the exact audience for this episode and I'm saying it's superfluous.
    I didn't say you couldn't enjoy the episode, seeing the episode is likely more of a kick for people who have played the games. I'm looking at it from a series and outsider perspective and I think it detracts from the series which has been pretty stellar so far. It's a Voyager flashback/dream episode, maybe in 3 seasons from now we will find out alternate alien voyager visited a planet and prescrewed up relations for when the real voyager gets there, but that's not in the cards right now for tlou.
    Who are you to say what is or isn't in the cards for the show? You don't have any right to the way the creators choose to depict the story than any other person. Your opinion's fine but you seem to be obsessed with proving this idea that it brought nothing to the table (because you didn't like it). That's a fairly indefensible position so you shouldn't be surprised when people object to it.

Ah yes Ellie, who the entire story is built around getting her back story and how she became infected fleshed out adds nothing to the story.

Brilliant take factory right here. You can like or not like whatever the fuck you want but making blatantly false claims like this just comes off silly af.

- - - Updated - - -

Who are you to say what is or isn't in the cards for the show? You don't have any right to the way the creators choose to depict the story than any other person. Your opinion's fine but you seem to be obsessed with proving this idea that it brought nothing to the table (because you didn't like it). That's a fairly indefensible position so you shouldn't be surprised when people object to it.
    The reality is these people have not yet figured out or came to grips with the fact TLOU is not Joel's story. It's Ellie's story and he's just a significant character on her journey. They are going to have a real bad time next season if they have issues with Ellie getting her story told and fleshed out, they should probably stop watching now.

Also considering what is going to happen in the next episode it was also important to show Ellie happy and what causes her descent into realizing how fucked up the world is. The placement of this is not only similar to the game but there was no better way to put it and to here people that claim to not even know the game or what is going to happen in the next episode babble about how out of place it was is beyond absurd.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2023-02-28 at 03:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    You really need to do some research on something before you argue for or against it. I bet you probably get mad when someone says you’re a homo sapien, too, don’t you?
    He's not a homosapien YOU are (sorry)

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Grease came out in 1978 and there was talk about fucking, making their car into a "pussy wagon", multiple references to tits (by that particular nomenclature), and a pregnancy scare. Among 50s high school students.

There was an attempted rape in Back To The Future, by Biff against Marty's mom.

What he's really upset about is fairly clear.
    4 words: Revenge of the Nerds. By today's standards, wow yeah almost all of them would be charged with multiple crimes.

Okish episode. Fell flat cause two episodes before were quite strong and intense at times.

It was nice seeing the background for Ellie and how she got bit the first time. That said, I knew we would get to that + her friend die the very minute she jumped into Ellies room. It was just about waiting for that moment. Predictable to say the least.

The episode was overall a miss for me. Maybe the fans (that has played the games) liked it better. Idk.

You know people watch this show without having played the game right? I've told you this before.
    So unless you played the game and know every little detail about it... What did this episode actually offer?
    We already know she got infected, did you need an entire fluff episode to show that?
    Why is it so extremely important? To keep it authentic with the game?
    If this was the most important event in ellies story? The show heading for disaster...

- - - Updated - - -

I'm fully aware but if you want to be disingenuous about it, for the sake of it and avoid reality and how its used, go right ahead, be that hypocrite.

- - - Updated - - -

You dont see the irony in this? The screeching that is made if you just happen to mislabel someone by mistake? The hypocrisy is unreal.
    I dont really get the sports car reference. Or are you saying you can't like something and at the same time have critique and opinions about it?
    I like the show, i really do, for context? I really liked the ben and frank episode, was a really good episode even if i dont relate on a personal level because that episode was just really really good and well executed on so many levels and I felt it added to the show, not took away. Honestly, i think that episode is my favorite so far in the entire series. I've watched it multiple times.
    This episode? Not so much.
    Ok, just as a point I don't think you were misgendered but for this point I'll allow that you were.

I have never been in a situation where I've misgendered someone and when it's pointed out a simple 'sorry I'll remember in future ' and then me genuinely putting the effort to correct myself hasn't sufficed.

As soon as you perceived that person to have misgendered you, you became abrupt and feigned offense, exactly as I imagine you think 'they' do.

Has anyone ever gone off at you for misgendering them or do you just see it on the news?

You're on an internet forum with people you are never going to meet.

The sports car thing was a response to you saying something along the lines of ' I loved episode three no one can compare this shit to that'

So just in terms of writing, episode one gives us the whole human experience of the zombie outbreak plus Joel's traumatic experiences that turn him from a goofy unorganized loving father into a brooding disillusioned man with the seeds in him to reluctantly embrace Ellie as a daughter figure. Pretty good backstory.

The last episode gives us Ellie as a headstrong, snarky, spiteful teenager, she then has the traumatic experience of getting the center of her world ripped out while suffering a certain death sentence(or not as it turns out). This ordeal turns here into a ... headstrong, snarky, spiteful teenager.

Gee, i wonder why people could consider this a weak filler episode that adds nothing of consequence.

Is it the best show ever or even of the year or even on HBO? no. It's very good though, and very impressive that HBO managed to turn a video game into a much higher quality TWD that's just as compelling and soapy but has actual acting, writing and artistry in it.

The only thing that can still go wrong is future seasons. But so far it's great.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Is it the best show ever or even of the year or even on HBO? no. It's very good though, and very impressive that HBO managed to turn a video game into a much higher quality TWD that's just as compelling and soapy but has actual acting, writing and artistry in it.

The only thing that can still go wrong is future seasons. But so far it's great.
    What helps LoU as opposed to TWD is that it's a much more focused story. Plus I feel it explains the backstory a lot better than TWD did, actual explanations of how the virus took hold whereas in TWD you get semi-intelligent zombies for an episode or two and then they all vanish. Hell, took two seasons for them to reveal that everyone was infected. No mention of how or anything like that.