Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Hypothetically: Would it be possible to change Monk to use cloth?

I'm generally curious... we say anything is possible, but somethings just do not seem logistically possible or sensible even if they make sense from a different point of view.

The Monk wearing cloth makes sense from logical lore perspective, , but in game it uses leather anyway...would changing armor type of any class be one of those things that just can't happen?

[Dislcaimer: While I don't think there is any real point in changing the armor class, nor any real benefit save for aethestics and fitting the catholic or buddhist monk themes in-game and maybe perhaps having cloth wearers have a tank spec class]

I wonder why something like this won't be possible. If it were to happen, presumably, you would allow players to keep and use leather transmogs only on the monk class, but simply make every future choice now cloth based, and deny access to any future leather drops. I mean, it's really simple.. therefore why do players think that it's impossible?

Would new monk players continue to have access to leather items up to the current expansion? Or should they be cloth perma?
    Explored the option of perhaps having hte monk be both a leather and cloth user? and the Demon Hunter a leather and mail user? But how would that work.
    Should they give the players a choice, Monks can choose to either be leather wearing monks or cloth wearing monks, but not both. [DHs can choose between mail or leather]

Should armor class types be done away with ocmpletley
    Shoudl the be expanded and all classes open to any armortype, with differnet armor types given more than armor reduction, like affecting speed, crit, power etc? Would this be a worthy improvement.

10+ Year Old Account
    They should just give benefits depending on armor type, and then let people wear what they want.

Plate = Bonus Armor / Bonus HP
    Cloth = Bonus Regen / Bonus Mana

Or something like that.

Could be fun to see a Rogue in full plate.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Lochton View Post
    They should just give benefits depending on armor type, and then let people wear what they want.

Plate = Bonus Armor / Bonus HP
    Cloth = Bonus Regen / Bonus Mana

Or something like that.

Hire this guy Blizz
    MMO Champs :

Why would DH's wear mail? They're just clothy as monks.

The Patient
    1+ Year Old Account
    My issue with that (as a monk player) is that there are no Agility cloth items. Obviously, if this hypothetical situation were to go through, that would change, but... you know. You'd also need to put Strength on Cloth, Leather, Mail gear at that point, you know? Strength mail gear for the Evoker tank spec. Lmao. And of course Agility plate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Dude A: "lol well if you weren't such a Blizzard Shill™ you'd believe my source!"
    Dude B: ::posts the Webster Dictionary definition of the word 'objective' followed by a 700-word essay about how the WoW community is doomed::
    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPrincess View Post
    shut up idiot

I see the logic. If stats, gear sets and affects had more play beyond damage reduction with armor type. We just don't get character customization that much with gear beyond item levels unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Zardas View Post
    Hire this guy Blizz
    Having to farm multiple items sets to play different specs should stay in classic. So no. Don't hire this guy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    Having to farm multiple items sets to play different specs should stay in classic. So no. Don't hire this guy.
    What? Scared of options? Stick with your regular armor type then, fixed?
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Pfft...a mage wearing plate...a warrior wearing nothing...(hey, wait...I recall a video..nevermind), a subtle rogue wearing...clanking armor...

....silly...

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I'm generally curious... we say anything is possible, but somethings just do not seem logistically possible or sensible even if they make sense from a different point of view.

The Monk wearing cloth makes sense from logical lore perspective, , but in game it uses leather anyway...would changing armor type of any class be one of those things that just can't happen?

[Dislcaimer: While I don't think there is any real point in changing the armor class, nor any real benefit save for aethestics and fitting the catholic or buddhist monk themes in-game and maybe perhaps having cloth wearers have a tank spec class]

I wonder why something like this won't be possible. If it were to happen, presumably, you would allow players to keep and use leather transmogs only on the monk class, but simply make every future choice now cloth based, and deny access to any future leather drops. I mean, it's really simple.. therefore why do players think that it's impossible?

Would new monk players continue to have access to leather items up to the current expansion? Or should they be cloth perma?
    Explored the option of perhaps having hte monk be both a leather and cloth user? and the Demon Hunter a leather and mail user? But how would that work.
    Should they give the players a choice, Monks can choose to either be leather wearing monks or cloth wearing monks, but not both. [DHs can choose between mail or leather]

Should armor class types be done away with ocmpletley
    Shoudl the be expanded and all classes open to any armortype, with differnet armor types given more than armor reduction, like affecting speed, crit, power etc? Would this be a worthy improvement.
    no, just play classic and be stupid over there

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koollan View Post
    My issue with that (as a monk player) is that there are no Agility cloth items. Obviously, if this hypothetical situation were to go through, that would change, but... you know. You'd also need to put Strength on Cloth, Leather, Mail gear at that point, you know? Strength mail gear for the Evoker tank spec. Lmao. And of course Agility plate.
    pretty simple solution to this non issue you bring up would be to just have all main stats on all gear and it adjusts to your spec just like int/str int/agi items do already.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is it possible? Yes.

Is it a good idea? No.

Monks are a melee AGI class, and currently cloth is entirely itemized around caster INT classes. It'd be too much work to add Monk-relevant stats to the gear for just an aesthetic reason.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Koollan View Post
    I'm unsure how *exactly* it's coded, but all armor pieces give whatever main stat your spec uses now. It could be a switch they throw to just have all cloth all show agi, or they might have to change cloth in general to be agi/int, or if we're really unlucky they have to go edit every single item to be agi/int. Kinda doubt it's the last one, but it is possible that they actually went through all legacy items back when they changed main stats in...WoD?

Anyway, monks should always have used cloth, but got leather back in Mists because at that time they would have had to create specific agi cloth pieces. These days armor just gives whatever main stat is needed, so monks (and demon hunters!) should really be swapped over to cloth.

Oh and make hunters use leather and shamans plate while we're at it, and delete mail as the nonsense armor category it is. Unarmored, light armor, heavy armor are reasonable divisions, the fourth category for "mail" is just silly.

(Where do Evokers fit into this? I have no clue.)

As long as they can't stealth while wearing full plate...

7+ Year Old Account
    Yes
    {10char}

What? Scared of options? Stick with your regular armor type then, fixed?
    This doesn't add options. It adds requirements.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by paxen View Post
    I'm unsure how *exactly* it's coded, but all armor pieces give whatever main stat your spec uses now.
    They actually just give all of the relevant stats and the UI doesn't show ones you cannot use. Which still means that Cloth only has Int on it since all Cloth wearers are exclusively Int users.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Is it possible? Yes.

Is it a good idea? No.

Monks are a melee AGI class, and currently cloth is entirely itemized around caster INT classes. It'd be too much work to add Monk-relevant stats to the gear for just an aesthetic reason.
    I dobut that is how it workks, i think a while ago , they changed all gear to have all stats, i highly doubt that when creating a new class, they'll go back and change all the gear to add whatever main stat that class uses, much easier to make all gear have all main stats, and you class only opens the stat you use, while hiding the stat you don'tuse.

There's a common saying that if it ain't broke don't fix it

It ain't broke

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I dobut that is how it workks, i think a while ago , they changed all gear to have all stats, i highly doubt that when creating a new class, they'll go back and change all the gear to add whatever main stat that class uses, much easier to make all gear have all main stats, and you class only opens the stat you use, while hiding the stat you don'tuse.
    No, they didn't. Only Plate has Str. Cloth only has Int. Weapons are usually still limited to a single main stat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    This doesn't add options. It adds requirements.
    It adds options, the requirements is all the players' fault.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    As long as they can't stealth while wearing full plate...
    Sounds like a fair trade, honestly. I mean, you get higher HP/Armor might mean you lose stealth or Sprint?