Question about case fans

Purchased a PC from Origin. Case fans sound like a jet engine. Went into the BIOS to adjust the curve and this is what I found.

https://imgur.com/a/DiatA6v

Did they manage to plug 7 fans into one slot?

Quote Originally Posted by NoClueWhatToDo View Post
    Purchased a PC from Origin. Case fans sound like a jet engine. Went into the BIOS to adjust the curve and this is what I found.

It doesn't seem steep for a curve. Point is, if they're ramping up to 100% or so this also means you're running your cpu at 85+ degrees. Last but not least, it's 7 fans and until you're running them really low speed they are going to make noise no matter what.

GN made a Origin pc rewiew not long ago where they found that the speed curve on all 12 fans of the prebuilt was completely out of place (like 100% speed at 40 degrees) but this doesn't seem your case.

What temps are you actually getting on your cpu while playing?

EDIT: i'm 99% sure the bios curve is not actually the one that matters, check iCue because since Origin is now a Corsair subsidiary, i'm pretty sure the fan speeds are controlled through that.
    Last edited by Coldkil; 2023-03-01 at 07:53 AM.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    It doesn't seem steep for a curve. Point is, if they're ramping up to 100% or so this also means you're running your cpu at 85+ degrees. Last but not least, it's 7 fans and until you're running them really low speed they are going to make noise no matter what.

GN made a Origin pc rewiew not long ago where they found that the speed curve on all 12 fans of the prebuilt was completely out of place (like 100% speed at 40 degrees) but this doesn't seem your case.

What temps are you actually getting on your cpu while playing?

EDIT: i'm 99% sure the bios curve is not actually the one that matters, check iCue because since Origin is now a Corsair subsidiary, i'm pretty sure the fan speeds are controlled through that.
    Idle - 33 to 35.

Playing a game - Jumps up and down from 40 to 50 (According the MSI Afterburner overlay)

I've looked through ICUE but I see no where to set the fan speeds other than the CPU cooler.

I think I watched that video. If I remember it was the one they spent something like 6,000$ on the PC? Either way, my PC literally sounds exactly the same as the one in his video. I've even installed that program called Fan Control and it only detects my AIO and GPU fans. I'm starting to wonder if they plugged all 7 case fans into the power supply, if that's even possible. I read somewhere if the fans are plugged directly to the power supply, you can't control the speeds.

I have opened up the side of my case and tried to follow the fan wires..

https://imgur.com/a/xDStcla

Is that little black box supposed to the a fan controller? If so, I wonder why ICUE doesn't detect it.
    Last edited by NoClueWhatToDo; 2023-03-01 at 01:22 PM.

Idle - 33 to 35.

Playing a game - Jumps up and down from 40 to 50 (According the MSI Afterburner overlay)

I've looked through ICUE but I see no where to set the fan speeds other than the CPU cooler.

I think I watched that video. If I remember it was the one they spent something like 6,000$ on the PC? Either way, my PC literally sounds exactly the same as the one in his video.
    I don't recall the exact place where tye fan curve is configured, but then it's the same thing. The fan curve in iCue is set so aggressive they go 100% at very low temps. Just changing it will fix the problem.

Your temps are just fine, it's the fans just ramping to 100% for no reason. Probably Origin just wants to be sure temps are in check and set those uselessly aggressive ramp up.

And yes, that was the video.
    Last edited by Coldkil; 2023-03-01 at 01:10 PM.

Yeah if the case fans are just blasting 100% all the time, sounds like they're hooked up to the power supply instead of the motherboard.

I've got two case fans (one intake on the front, one exhaust on the back) and I hooked them up to the "CHA_xx" connectors around the motherboard. Have them both running at about 40% all the time. Just enough to get a bit of airflow through the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Agall View Post
    You realize 'hooked up to the power supply' means they're literally plugged in via molex/sata in some capacity ye?
    Yeah. Which often means they can't be controlled and will just blast 100% no matter what.

Hence why you usually plug case fans into the case fan ports on the motherboard so that you can power AND control them.

Hey mate,

There is a run through on Gamers Nexus Youtube channel, and one of the problems you are describing is exactly the same as they encountered.

Not sure if I can link Youtube here but its very recent in the channels listings and it says "$6600 Nightmare Prebuilt Gaming PC - Corsair & Origin Genesis Review"

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Yeah. Which often means they can't be controlled and will just blast 100% no matter what.

Hence why you usually plug case fans into the case fan ports on the motherboard so that you can power AND control them.
    It's not the case. Origin is Corsair, they put a commander pro or simial in every build and put also insane amounts of fans for no reason.

@OP open iCue and check the commander pro (or similarly named section) and there you should be able to fix the problem by changing the fan curve.

It's not the case. Origin is Corsair, they put a commander pro or simial in every build and put also insane amounts of fans for no reason.

@OP open iCue and check the commander pro (or similarly named section) and there you should be able to fix the problem by changing the fan curve.
    There is no commander pro in my ICUE. I've reinstalled ICUE several times, and it doesn't detect it.

https://imgur.com/a/xDStcla I think the black box to the right is a commander pro. Then that small splitter to the left of it is where all 6 of the front fans are plugged into. I followed the splitter cable and it plugs into the motherboard at the bottom https://imgur.com/a/NgrVgHT.

There is no commander pro in my ICUE. I've reinstalled ICUE several times, and it doesn't detect it.

https://imgur.com/a/xDStcla I think the black box to the right is a commander pro. Then that small splitter to the left of it is where all 6 of the front fans are plugged into. I followed the splitter cable and it plugs into the motherboard at the bottom https://imgur.com/a/NgrVgHT.
    If they're connected directly to the mobo, then either the spitter is not PWM (hence fans will just go 100% the whole time) or something doesn't work with that.

Also if the commander pro isn't detected i assume the usb cable is not properly connected. Check that and if ppssible connect the fans to it so you can control them.

Either way one thing is certain - they did a poor job and certainly not worth the premium you've paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Agall View Post
    https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E1681314...-564-_-Product

Motherboard look like this?

That fan header might be improperly configured and/or if the commander pro isn't being recognized, then in my experience, it'll default to 100% fan speed for fans plugged into it or not power them at all.
    On OP's pics it seems the commander is plugged in but not correctly (or it's a faulty unit) and six fans are plugged to another fan hub which is either unplugged, not working or not PWM.

OP also posted bios pics and the curve looks like a default one where fans go at 100% when cpu temp is around 85, but he never reaches that and fans are just full blast.

It makes me laugh. They put in a commander pro, didn't check/test/connect it properly, and actually didn't even use it cause all fams are connected to a hub. No one should pay extra for a work like this.

I'm not sure what I'm looking at with the BIOS screenshot, it seems to show the curve for pump control which is not connected. It appears that there are two sets of fans connected CPU1 and System 5, I'm assuming that the hub is connected to the system 5 header and the commander is controlling the CPU fans, I would adjust the temperature source for Sys 5 to system this should stop the fans ramping up when the CPU temp spikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    I'm not sure what I'm looking at with the BIOS screenshot, it seems to show the curve for pump control which is not connected. It appears that there are two sets of fans connected CPU1 and System 5, I'm assuming that the hub is connected to the system 5 header and the commander is controlling the CPU fans, I would adjust the temperature source for Sys 5 to system this should stop the fans ramping up when the CPU temp spikes.
    The bios actually is set correctly/default curve for that mobo. We verified with OP that his temps never reach that high and it's something with the fan hub/commander pro and stuff origin did for no reason basically. It's something else getting the control of the fans and make them run full speed all the time.

It could be iCue set improperly, some connection missing or the fan hub straight not working (as in not reading the pwm signal from the mobo thus defaulting at 100% speed).
    @Agall i can totally feel you. Being an IT guy for just short of 15 years and counting.

The bios actually is set correctly/default curve for that mobo. We verified with OP that his temps never reach that high and it's something with the fan hub/commander pro and stuff origin did for no reason basically. It's something else getting the control of the fans and make them run full speed all the time.

It could be iCue set improperly, some connection missing or the fan hub straight not working (as in not reading the pwm signal from the mobo thus defaulting at 100% speed).
    @Agall i can totally feel you. Being an IT guy for just short of 15 years and counting.
    How do you know that the BIOS is setup correctly? The screenshot of the BIOS shows the curve for a pump which is either not connected or broken, given that OP reports no abnormal temps I'm going with not connected. Until he shows the curves for the connected fans I don't see how you can conclude that the settings in the BIOS are correct.

It could just be an aggressive curve but if the system fans (presumably System 5) are set to react to the CPU temp they will ramp up when the CPU temp spikes, it won't matter that the CPU does not remain at that temperature.

It looks like, and the OP has confirmed that, the case fans are connected to the fan hub and presumably the CPU cooler fans to the Corsair commander (which fits with OP saying that he can only set CPU fans through iCue) there is nothing wrong with connecting fans this way. iCue will not be able control the case fans unless they are connected to the commander so it is unlikely that it is an iCue problem.

You are reading things into the problem that OP has not said, he says that fans are noisy not that they default to 100%. The MB is clearly getting a PWM signal because the BIOS screenshot shows the CPU fan 2348 RPM and Sys 5 at 1366 RPM.

Personally I think that 1,300 RPM is high for a case fan when the CPU and system are around 30°C but I believe that the max RPM for Corsair AirGuide 120mm is around 1,850 RPM so it is not defaulting to max speed which makes me think that the curve is incorrectly setup.

How do you know that the BIOS is setup correctly? The screenshot of the BIOS shows the curve for a pump which is either not connected or broken, given that OP reports no abnormal temps I'm going with not connected. Until he shows the curves for the connected fans I don't see how you can conclude that the settings in the BIOS are correct.

It could just be an aggressive curve but if the system fans (presumably System 5) are set to react to the CPU temp they will ramp up when the CPU temp spikes, it won't matter that the CPU does not remain at that temperature.

It looks like, and the OP has confirmed that, the case fans are connected to the fan hub and presumably the CPU cooler fans to the Corsair commander (which fits with OP saying that he can only set CPU fans through iCue) there is nothing wrong with connecting fans this way. iCue will not be able control the case fans unless they are connected to the commander so it is unlikely that it is an iCue problem.

You are reading things into the problem that OP has not said, he says that fans are noisy not that they default to 100%. The MB is clearly getting a PWM signal because the BIOS screenshot shows the CPU fan 2348 RPM and Sys 5 at 1366 RPM.

Personally I think that 1,300 RPM is high for a case fan when the CPU and system are around 30°C but I believe that the max RPM for Corsair AirGuide 120mm is around 1,850 RPM so it is not defaulting to max speed which makes me think that the curve is incorrectly setup.
    Hello. Sorry for forgetting about this post.

Since this post I have learned that all case fans are linked to System 5. ( https://imgur.com/a/NutUdJO ) That is the default fan curve.

The fan controller doesn't show in ICUE ( https://imgur.com/a/wd5kAbV ). So for whatever reason for the decision not to make me able to see the fan controller is beyond me. I'm guessing because the fans are not RGB, so I guess it wasn't important to connect the fans to the controller?

Anyway.. I guess next question is.. If those fan curves are not ideal, what's the best way to set them up?

Hello. Sorry for forgetting about this post.

Since this post I have learned that all case fans are linked to System 5. ( https://imgur.com/a/NutUdJO ) That is the default fan curve.

The fan controller doesn't show in ICUE ( https://imgur.com/a/wd5kAbV ). So for whatever reason for the decision not to make me able to see the fan controller is beyond me. I'm guessing because the fans are not RGB, so I guess it wasn't important to connect the fans to the controller?

Anyway.. I guess next question is.. If those fan curves are not ideal, what's the best way to set them up?
    The curve for your case fans is set to react to the CPU core temperature which means that your fans will ramp up whenever there is a spike in the CPU temp, when you open a program for instance. Looking at iCue you are running an AIO so your CPU cooling should be fine therefore I would set the case fan temperature source to "system", also the curve is set to a minimum of 50% at 40°C I would bring the minimum down to about 30% and see how your temps/noise goes.

If haven't already got it, download HWiNFO64 and run the sensors panel in the background whilst using your PC as normal to monitor your temps then adjust the curve to suit.

The curve for your case fans is set to react to the CPU core temperature which means that your fans will ramp up whenever there is a spike in the CPU temp, when you open a program for instance. Looking at iCue you are running an AIO so your CPU cooling should be fine therefore I would set the case fan temperature source to "system", also the curve is set to a minimum of 50% at 40°C I would bring the minimum down to about 30% and see how your temps/noise goes.

If haven't already got it, download HWiNFO64 and run the sensors panel in the background whilst using your PC as normal to monitor your temps then adjust the curve to suit.
    That explains why the PC sounds like a jet engine for a few seconds whenever I first open a program. LOL I'll tinker with them a bit.

Wow did Origin mess that up. With that pic of the commander and the thing to the left, the left piece is a normal fan splitter that probably came with the case while the commander is hooked to the AIO. The thing is, is that you could unplug the fans from the splitter and plug them into the commander as it can control both fans and RGB (one side you plug in the fans and the other side is for the RGB plugs).

Btw the reason you don’t see the commander is from “You are supposed to see a picture of the AIO pump when it is connected to the Commander Core. This shows the Commander Core is in "AIO mode" as opposed to being used as a standalone fan controller. All of your Commander Core and pump functions are combined into that one device tab”. so when you click on the picture of your AIO in ICue you will find everything.

Now since you found where the curve for the fans are, you don’t have to really change anything. But by hooking everything to the commander gives you the ability to centralize and run everything from ICue

Quote Originally Posted by Skitxx View Post
    Wow did Origin mess that up. With that pic of the commander and the thing to the left, the left piece is a normal fan splitter that probably came with the case while the commander is hooked to the AIO. The thing is, is that you could unplug the fans from the splitter and plug them into the commander as it can control both fans and RGB (one side you plug in the fans and the other side is for the RGB plugs).

Btw the reason you don’t see the commander is from “You are supposed to see a picture of the AIO pump when it is connected to the Commander Core. This shows the Commander Core is in "AIO mode" as opposed to being used as a standalone fan controller. All of your Commander Core and pump functions are combined into that one device tab”. so when you click on the picture of your AIO in ICue you will find everything.

Now since you found where the curve for the fans are, you don’t have to really change anything. But by hooking everything to the commander gives you the ability to centralize and run everything from ICue
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with using the Commander Core to control the AIO and case's fan splitter for the case fans. Seeing as the fan curve can be set to achieve the desired temps and noise levels in the BIOS (or using the MB software) and then forgotten about there is little advantage to using iCUE by plugging the fans in the Commander Core, not to mention that this would involve cutting cable ties and redoing cable management nor would it be physically possible to do so as there are five fans plugged in the fan splitter and only three available headers on the Core.

OP just set the fan curve to be less aggressive - make the curve shallower at the lower point, set the temp input to system, then monitor your noise and temps and once you're happy that the PC is quiet enough and not having any issues with temps leave it at that.