Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    In the grand scheme of things this match is less hurtful for United than normal. They can put it down as an isolated freak accident and move on. Or they could lose confidence. I’d expect the former. It’s not a big deal.
    Is this one of those "tell me you don't know what being a football fan is like, without telling me you dont know what being a football fan is like"?

Quote Originally Posted by Marleycat View Post
    Is this one of those "tell me you don't know what being a football fan is like, without telling me you dont know what being a football fan is like"?
    Pretty much. It's literally the worst loss ever for Man Utd by Liverpool and you get the comment you quoted. Nothing will wash that away other than returning the exact same favour to Liverpool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fkiolaris View Post
    Pretty much. It's literally the worst loss ever for Man Utd by Liverpool and you get the comment you quoted. Nothing will wash that away other than returning the exact same favour to Liverpool.
    Won't happen, never does.

Liverpool have scored the last 15 at Anfield against United in their head to head games.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Won't happen, never does.

Liverpool have scored the last 15 at Anfield against United in their head to head games.
    I know. Which is why this stings even more. And to think I even felt a bit sorry for the scousers after the 2-5 by Real Madrid...

10+ Year Old Account
    I know. Which is why this stings even more. And to think I even felt a bit sorry for the scousers after the 2-5 by Real Madrid...
    Worst thing was I was up for Liverpool getting leathered after some cunt put up a Munich flag on the Anfield gates last night.

Now I can see something stupid happening, like Greenwood returning. His missus is expecting a kid with him now too, poor lass.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Worst thing was I was up for Liverpool getting leathered after some cunt put up a Munich flag on the Anfield gates last night.

Now I can see something stupid happening, like Greenwood returning. His missus is expecting a kid with him now too, poor lass.
    There are always cunts doing those things from both sets of fans, I have seen some shit from our fans in the past in random places and for no reason. Anyway, what gets on my tits is that now apparently Liverpool have the best front 3 in the world again and all that shite, on the evidence of a single game.

Regarding Greenwood, that story is a fucking mess in every way I can think of and I really wouldn't want him back at the club, even though he is not convicted for anything (and that's another very long discussion that I can't be arsed with, not today anyway)

I don’t support United. It’s not for me to feel sorry. And even if I did feel sorry for them or support them, I wouldn’t let an isolated result come in the way of a season that’s had a whole load of progress. So, if being a football fan involves being emotionally volatile and living and dying from weekend to weekend, I’m not it. And I’m glad. Sounds like a miserable way to live.

There are always cunts doing those things from both sets of fans, I have seen some shit from our fans in the past in random places and for no reason. Anyway, what gets on my tits is that now apparently Liverpool have the best front 3 in the world again and all that shite, on the evidence of a single game.
    To my point, it’s basically what all football fans do. Big loss? Can’t get over it. Big win? Can’t get over it. Perspective seems to be a thing to be done away with.

I don’t support United. It’s not for me to feel sorry. And even if I did feel sorry for them or support them, I wouldn’t let an isolated result come in the way of a season that’s had a whole load of progress. So, if being a football fan involves being emotionally volatile and living and dying from weekend to weekend, I’m not it. And I’m glad. Sounds like a miserable way to live.

To my point, it’s basically what all football fans do. Big loss? Can’t get over it. Big win? Can’t get over it. Perspective seems to be a thing to be done away with.
    How would you not understand the emotional investment involved in being a football fan unless you were not a football fan and I am 100% certain you are not, even looking on as a pragmatist the fact you are not a football fan leads to a lack of understanding from you that you cannot fathom. You sound more like a Vulcan than a football fan with whom you have neither the experience or yardstick to have a valid opinion, and I don't think you can envision the credibility gap your opinions bring here, you can not know what it is you do not know, but that doesn't stop you expressing these googled opinions here and FYI its a joyous way to live, and again I wouldn't expect you to understand. I would not be surprised to hear you have not even watched a game this season.

btw its ok (even on the internet) to admit you got something wrong and tough as it is for someone like you. Its everyone else that's wrong about you right even though you are the common factor of ridicule? Haven't you got some friends to go lambast? Sounds like you're a joy to hang out with too.
    Last edited by Marleycat; 2023-03-05 at 10:49 PM.

How would you not understand the emotional investment involved in being a football fan unless you were not a football fan and I am 100% certain you are not, even looking on as a pragmatist the fact you are not a football fan leads to a lack of understanding from you that you cannot fathom. You sound more like a Vulcan than a football fan with whom you have neither the experience or yardstick to have a valid opinion, and I don't think you can envision the credibility gap your opinions bring here, you can not know what it is you do not know, but that doesn't stop you expressing these googled opinions here and FYI its a joyous way to live, and again I wouldn't expect you to understand. I would not be surprised to hear you have not even watched a game this season.

btw its ok (even on the internet) to admit you got something wrong and tough as it is for someone like you. Its everyone else that's wrong about you right even though you are the common factor of ridicule? Haven't you got some friends to go lambast? Sounds like you're a joy to hang out with too.
    I can understand the emotional investment football fans make by observing people do it. It’s not rocket science to see how people put themselves through the wringer. Do I agree with it? To be quite frank; you do you. I don’t enjoy it, but if you want to; go right ahead. But it’s better to accept the irrationality that comes with it. Don’t pretend like it’s normal.

As far as me being the ‘point of ridicule’ is concerned, the only people who keep disagreeing with me, are the ones who get their knickers in a twist every time something doesn’t go their way. There’s you, there’s the Arsenal fan who turns up once every leap year, and the United fan who insisted on dying on the Ronaldo hill. See the commonality? All irrational.

Go ahead and enjoy getting mad at the TV.

‘What a joy you’d be to hang out with’.
    Last edited by DingDongKing; 2023-03-06 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Correcting some grammar.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well damn... been unwell in bed and woke up to see THAT score. How in the world...

I knew things were going well, maybe too well, and I was expecting it to crash at some point, but for it to crash like that...

Now to see if it has an effect on the next games. Still in the FA Cup and Europa League, and need to perform in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    Well damn... been unwell in bed and woke up to see THAT score. How in the world...

I knew things were going well, maybe too well, and I was expecting it to crash at some point, but for it to crash like that...

Now to see if it has an effect on the next games. Still in the FA Cup and Europa League, and need to perform in them.
    Barring a massive collapse, United should still compete for the other cups they’re in.

Finishing 3rd with a couple trophies will be a very good season all things considered.

Not a ‘miracle’, given how much the club can spend and has spend on recruitment, but good nonetheless.

15+ Year Old Account
    Lots of people on the internets criticizing Fernandes as captain. Did something specific happen yesterday or did he just have a tantrum on pitch?

I never really rated him much as a captain myself, but in all honesty I wouldn't know who to pick as captain.

Barring a massive collapse, United should still compete for the other cups they’re in.

Finishing 3rd with a couple trophies will be a very good season all things considered.

Not a ‘miracle’, given how much the club can spend and has spend on recruitment, but good nonetheless.
    The hammering from LFC hurts, ofc it does. Whats even worse, its getting "normal" in a sense. Its not the first time in the last 5-6 seasons that MUFC gets hammered. Especially from City & LFC.

This loss was especially bad cause one would think at one point the players would think "enough is enough, atleast not let more goals in" maybe at nr 3 or 4. But no, it just got worse.

What matters now is how they react. The match is history and theres literally nothing to do about it except learn from it and give a response. That response should come on thursday against Betis. If they get smacked there too, theres problems brewing. Things turn quickly in football.

- - - Updated - - -

Lots of people on the internets criticizing Fernandes as captain. Did something specific happen yesterday or did he just have a tantrum on pitch?

I never really rated him much as a captain myself, but in all honesty I wouldn't know who to pick as captain.
    His antics is getting the better of him. It gets noticed too when MUFC gets hammered. Casemiro, Varane, Shaw & Martines is probably captain material. Then again, I have always believed the whole "who is captain" ordeal in football is highly overrated. Many players are best when they are not captain. Many players effect the team in a positive way because they aint the captain. If they get to be the captain, everything can change.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    His antics is getting the better of him. It gets noticed too when MUFC gets hammered. Casemiro, Varane, Shaw & Martines is probably captain material. Then again, I have always believed the whole "who is captain" ordeal in football is highly overrated. Many players are best when they are not captain. Many players effect the team in a positive way because they aint the captain. If they get to be the captain, everything can change.
    Well the whole point of a captain is to be a leading figure on the pitch. I just don't see that in Fernandes, and never have. He's always come over to me as someone who would cry and have a tantrum when he doesn't get what he wants.

That said, as I didn't see the match yesterday (and thank fuck I didn't tbh), I just wanna know what happened that everyone is calling him out specifically.

Well the whole point of a captain is to be a leading figure on the pitch. I just don't see that in Fernandes, and never have. He's always come over to me as someone who would cry and have a tantrum when he doesn't get what he wants.

That said, as I didn't see the match yesterday (and thank fuck I didn't tbh), I just wanna know what happened that everyone is calling him out specifically.
    Think he pushed a assistant ref(I would hardly call it that but ppl say it), his body language was obviously bad, it appeared at one point he requested to be subbed off, he made several unneccessary kicks towards lfc players and generally complain, complain, complain.

Tbh, Fernandes is a great player. Captain material? hardly. When things get though, he aint the one to rally the troops.

1+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I watched this match yesterday, it was awesome

From what I saw in highlights and read on news sites a few of the things people were giving out about him were,
    - had Konate put his hand on his upper chest and he fell like he was shot while clutching his face.
    - supposedly he was begging and pleading to be subbed off around the time they went 5 nil down.
    - when going to take a throw in he appeared to push the linesman out of his way.

While none of these are terribly egregious in a game of football there are some that claim that it is unbecoming of a captain to be acting in the way he did.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    Think he pushed a assistant ref(I would hardly call it that but ppl say it), his body language was obviously bad, it appeared at one point he requested to be subbed off, he made several unneccessary kicks towards lfc players and generally complain, complain, complain.

Tbh, Fernandes is a great player. Captain material? hardly. When things get though, he aint the one to rally the troops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micfeind View Post
    From what I saw in highlights and read on news sites a few of the things people were giving out about him were,
    - had Konate put his hand on his upper chest and he fell like he was shot while clutching his face.
    - supposedly he was begging and pleading to be subbed off around the time they went 5 nil down.
    - when going to take a throw in he appeared to push the linesman out of his way.

While none of these are terribly egregious in a game of football there are some that claim that it is unbecoming of a captain to be acting in the way he did.
    Thanks both.

As I previously said I never felt he was captain material, and this definitely doesn't change that feeling. As you wrote crusadernero, a captain is meant to rally the troops, not plead to be subbed off.

Also I'm very much bored of the acting he does (as in, acting like you've been shot when hardly touched). That said he's not the only one who does it, I'm bored of it in general.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks both.

As I previously said I never felt he was captain material, and this definitely doesn't change that feeling. As you wrote crusadernero, a captain is meant to rally the troops, not plead to be subbed off.

Also I'm very much bored of the acting he does (as in, acting like you've been shot when hardly touched). That said he's not the only one who does it, I'm bored of it in general.
    Agreed, simulation should be a thing VAR is being used to pick up and hand out cards for. Wasn’t impressed by the gesturing for cards by some players either, I thought the FA wanted to crack down on that too.

Ultimately I think basically we did what Liverpool did against Madrid, and kept chasing goals instead of trying to shore things up. Every time we did they’d break and score. I don’t think De Gea covered himself in glory either, he could and should have saved half of those goals and on another day would have but he was just static for the first then panicking later on.

I’ve said before though we had a result like that coming for a while, even against Leicester we were dependent on a couple of really good saves, and on Wednesday West Ham played through us too easily but just happened to be shit in front of goal.

Hopefully we can bounce back in the same way Liverpool have after their Madrid result.

Thanks both.

Yeah, Fernandes is not rare in this case. Alot of footballers act and behave like him, some more, some less. In many cases, its a natural reflex for footballers to act this way cause in rare occasions it does reward them. Why fall easy inside the box? The reward is high, the punishment is low(only yellow at worst). Even with VAR, footballers act like they been attacked if they sense barely any connection. Why? Cause even with VAR, the ref is in charge. Football dont want VAR in any given situation. Imagine VAR being used for every freekick, literally every desicision the refs are taking during the course of a match. It wouldnt work.

So naturally, they do with it what they can. If theres a chance to get rewarded for antics, they will do it.