Poll: Would you like to be able to earn Elite transmogs from older expansions?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[POLL] Unlocking Elite PVP transmog in later seasons

Here's the concept: Just like Saddles, you can earn an Elite PVP ensembles from older expansions by doing rated PVP content. The actual, legit, Elite set items earned during the current season would become Legendary after the expansion ends, so you can still see on the inspect and character panels that someone earned the transmog Before It Was Cool or whatever.

Would you like to see a system like this?

As someone without a set, keep them exclusive. The PvP balance is so different each season, more so expansion, that those that played during that time deserve something unique.

FOMO is a psychological issue that people need to get over themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Except it would only be "textbook" confirmation bias if I fully believed that a third spec was actually coming.

The options are hilariously biased.

Quote Originally Posted by Inoculate View Post
    As someone without a set, keep them exclusive. The PvP balance is so different each season, more so expansion, that those that played during that time deserve something unique.

Arbitrarily locking things in a timed vault is not good for the longevity of your game, all in order to tickle the ego of some guy who'll end up having 50 more of those sets, but you do you.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Said in the other thread, there's no good reason to limit the sets instead of being able to earn them down the line.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Arbitrarily locking things in a timed vault is not good for the longevity of your game, all in order to tickle the ego of some guy who'll end up having 50 more of those sets, but you do you.
    Well, what set is it you're after? What was stopping you from earning them while they were relevant? Honest questions as I'm open for civil discussion. Just please don't continue down the passive aggressive vein like in your closing statement, it does nothing to progress.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Except it would only be "textbook" confirmation bias if I fully believed that a third spec was actually coming.

Well, what set is it you're after? What was stopping you from earning them while they were relevant? Honest questions as I'm open for civil discussion. Just please don't continue down the passive aggressive vein like in your closing statement, it does nothing to progress.
    No set. I'm simply a proponent for having people be allowed to earn things mostly indefinitely and not time-locking it.

Nothing passive-aggressive about it, that's literally the truth of the matter. That's at the heart of "prestige."
    Last edited by Yarathir; 2023-03-06 at 03:13 AM.

Eh it's not just about FOMO though. Some are just really cool looks people would love to use for transmog.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ugh... How come people can't make a completely normal poll without skewered/opinion-forced options.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't vote due to crap made poll.

My idea would be, make all Elite Sets available to people who earn the ranking no matter what season they earned it in. Done. It'll be available to anyone who wish to pursue it. So, if you hit the ranking this season, then you have access to all previous seasons, but it only counts backwards, meaning, you won't get access to future Elite sets without having the ranking.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Least biased poll ever...

Rare/exclusive items/titles/mounts like old elite PVP sets, server firsts, Benediction, CM sets/weapons and many more are one of the few remaining cool things in the game.
    Last edited by Mendzia; 2023-03-06 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    Here's the concept: Just like Saddles, you can earn an Elite PVP ensembles from older expansions by doing rated PVP content. The actual, legit, Elite set items earned during the current season would become Legendary after the expansion ends, so you can still see on the inspect and character panels that someone earned the transmog Before It Was Cool or whatever.

Would you like to see a system like this?
    Whatever's needed to please the retards enough to stop the wastage.
    Honestly do the same thing for glad mounts; award a token that awards either the current or a past one.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    Least biased poll ever...

Rare/exclusive items/titles/mounts like old elite PVP sets, server firsts, Benediction, CM sets/weapons and many more are one of the few remaining cool things in the game.
    I like the idea of holding on to something that doesn't exist anymore, or can't be obtained anymore. I.. kinda am holding on to some 100+ items that isn't obtainable anymore. It gives a good little flex to your collection, but it does separate the player base into multiple columns - veterans, elites, newcomers, normal players. I mean, being a collector is the same as having access to some exclusive rewards.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2023-03-06 at 10:43 AM.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Not really. People who didn't achieved these sets/mounts/titles shouldn't be able to use them.

Simple as that, people who worked for them - deserved them. People who didn't - don't.

Seasons are different each patch, so they won't really do the same work for the same set. Yes, sometimes it'll be easier, sometimes it'll be harder, but still - it's different scenario.

Also - the poll, lol.

What was stopping you from earning them while they were relevant? Honest questions as I'm open for civil discussion.
    Maybe the fact that I wasn't subbed for a couple seasons when my newborn demanded constant attention.

Yeah that's a "you problem" but mythic raid sets can be gotten later even doing old raids solo. I don't see a problem giving out old pvp sets too, especially if you tie it to current rating.

Don't have elite sets, they should stay exclusive, not everyone needs access to everything. If you want them available later let them unlock at 3k rating or something. I think it's nice that there are things I can't get, keeps motivation to play. If too many things become exclusive, that's not good, but a few every season sounds like the right balance to me.

7+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, they should just do "season of legacy" classic realms that connect to retail so you can farm that stuff with the balancing and class tuning of said era. "Prestige" should come from getting things under the right rules, not from being there at the right time. Even if they cycle through expansions it would still take years to re-farm everything, and you would also still have to keep up with retail, so in the end that stuff would still be uncommon enough anyways.

(and I currently have two elite sets btw :X)

#TEAMGIRAFFE

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    Honestly, they should just do "season of legacy" classic realms that connect to retail so you can farm that stuff with the balancing and class tuning of said era. "Prestige" should come from getting things under the right rules, not from being there at the right time. Even if they cycle through expansions it would still take years to re-farm everything, and you would also still have to keep up with retail, so in the end that stuff would still be uncommon enough anyways.

(and I currently have two elite sets btw :X)
    This should be acceptable to all, though honestly it seems like more bother than it'd be worth.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lochton View Post
    I like the idea of holding on to something that doesn't exist anymore, or can't be obtained anymore. I.. kinda am holding on to some 100+ items that isn't obtainable anymore. It gives a good little flex to your collection, but it does separate the player base into multiple columns - veterans, elites, newcomers, normal players. I mean, being a collector is the same as having access to some exclusive rewards.
    I think the bigger part is that this thread's topic has nothing to do with player power. If it was a player power issue, allowing people to catch up over time is perfectly fine as that would have a large negative impact on the community. Since it's purely cosmetic, nothing wrong with having unique stuff that doesn't exist anymore from content that doesn't exit or was a limited time feature.

There was actually an elite PvP set I missed out on that I reeeeeally wanted to get (it was from S1 of Legion), but I never got overly upset that I missed it because it was my own fault for not earning it in the reasonable amount of time Blizz gave us; honestly, I didn't know it looked so good until a day before the season ended, so I couldn't grind rating fast enough. Regardless, I have a bunch of other unique items that I've collected over time (such as the CM class sets), and part of what makes them unique is because you cannot get them anymore.

Now, I would make a caveat if something was rewarded in an extreeeemely ridiculous way in an effort to make something actually FOMO. Fortunately, Blizz hasn't done this much when it comes to WoW, as most things give you months, if not years, to obtain something before it goes away. As an example, the Mage Tower: in Legion you had sooooo much time to obtain the exclusive xmog from here over the expansion (which was fine), but when they initially reimplemented it they made the Tower's availability so limited that most people probably wouldn't even be able to attempt it in a reasonable fashion (which was not fine). This is also why holiday events usually take place over weeks instead of a single day, to accommade as many players as possible.

While there are tons of aspects of WoW that worry me, one aspect that's related to this topic is that Blizz is seeming to lean heavily into equity of outcomes versus equality of the starting point. Without going into the weeds, it ultimately boils down to completely negating or invalidating the work and effort players put into or invest into the game. Again, when it comes to player power, Blizz does tend to allow catch-ups and leveling of the playing field because it would adversely affect the community (even still, there's usually deference to those who put in more time and effort) ... but when it comes to cosmetics/xmog/etc, there's generally no need. Since player power is something that constantly gets reset throughout the game, the only thing left to separate yourself from everyone else is usually cosmetic stuff. Once you get rid of the avenue of delineation, you start running into another form of player homogenization that could have a pretty negative impact on the community.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

This is not FOMO. FOMO is about missing out on activities and moments of cultural or social significance, not stuff. This is just being greedy and wanting the stuff that others have.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    This should be acceptable to all, though honestly it seems like more bother than it'd be worth.
    Tbh I'm quite sure they would get a huge amount of people playing it in order to get former fomo stuff - CM's and Legion Mage Tower alone would bring back quite a few players I would guess. They have done all the work with the classic realms anyways, they just need to use the current retail loot system in order to prevent ninja looting "transmog" and only alow the transfer from classic to retail once a season is over.

#TEAMGIRAFFE