Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, I am not a fan of Dragonriding. I am still farming mounts throughout various expansions. I will continue to do so because I am a collector of many things in the game. Frankly, Dragonriding has a lot of shortcomings. Not being able to hover is one of them. Hopefully, normal flying is allowed in the .1 patch. It makes farming herbs and mining material so much easier. Especially a new alt that does not have the required points to remain mounts while gathering.
    Last edited by Apexis; 2023-03-07 at 03:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    My comment is in response to the claim that blizzard is actively trying to remove the incentive to farm mounts. My point was simply that it doesn't impact any other player as no player power is involved, it's like trying to reduce people farming xmog.
    You literally quote replied me and I never said that at all. The guy I replied to said he felt "disincentivized" because Blizzard didn't add more mount rewards for the 0.5% of people who bother to get 500 or 600 or whatever mounts.

Let's be clear here - every other type of content in the game has a point at which there are no further rewards. Raiding has CE/Meta achievements. PvP has x gladiator or elite sets or whatever it is these days. M+ has 2500. Expecting infinite rewards from a team of people that has limited capacity is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigre5070 View Post
    So far, I have a high opinion of Dragonflight (even though it is far from perfect). However, I realized I'm starting to hit my normal wall with the latest content (leveled my alts, geared as much as I want to, renown relatively high, professions leveled, etc.). Usually around the time that happens for me, I shift my focus to achievement and mount farming until new content is released.

I really enjoy Dragonriding- I think they did a nice job balancing against the old 310% vector flying and with just enough player input to keep it semi-realistic and fun. The world quests are great. I also really loved farming and collecting mounts- that is, until Dragonriding. I can't help but feel like running old content to farm mounts that I can't use currently detracts from the player experience. And I'll be truthful- I only used maybe a handful of those mounts regularly anyway- but its a fun goal player's can set for themselves. I'm having almost the same feeling towards mount farming now as when a ground mount is released and the general player thought is: "It's nice, but it's too bad it doesn't fly." For the record, I also recognize that allowing players to use older mounts with new Dragonriding defeats the purpose of the time and money spent developing dragon customizations, etc. so I'm fine with waiting until they're (hopefully) useable again.

Anyone else experiencing this feeling? Is Dragonriding inadvertently taking away the fun of mount collecting and therefore contributing to boredom with the game?
    I feel more or less the same. My one thought about your comment about Blizzard taking the time and money to develop dragonriding, etc is that they should have spent time and effort to make an evergreen system that allowed mount customization on a global scale so that you can technically "dragonride", with other flying mounts. I mean look at the various other proto-drakes that we have collected thus far. Why couldn't they at the very least have been earmarked for for this new system? I Know development time, etc. But I will never give a pass at a company worth as much as Blizzard. I'm sorry. They have the bucks to higher and keep incentivized whatever staff they need to but they DON"T because they know that with too many quality of life features there won't be a return on investment. So they only develop limited content enough to satisfy the basic needs of their player base but never really going that extra mile.

This is why in spite of each race having vastly different cultures from one another the starting armor pieces are so generic and have zero cultural flair. Like if you make a Darkspear Troll their starting quest armor pieces from the echo isles is more or less similar to what humans get, etc. This is true for all the races. But I digress. This is just one example of Blizzards lack of going the extra mile. If you watch some of the preach videos where he interviews Blizzard staff, one of the recent interviews he asked why they couldn't develop a true Living World like they have in GW2 and the answer was that though it would be nice and they have the capabilities to do so that not enough people would come back and use it so they utilize their development team for raids.

I say why not BOTH ? I'll tell you why because that would mean the company runs that much more inefficiently and that hurts the stockholders bottom line.
    Well to that I say to heck with the stockholders as a player I want it all and if YOU can't give it to me then move over so someone else can.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    Mount inflation disincentivized mount farming long before dragonriding was even a thing.
    /this

mount farming was interesting when there were a handful of mounts to get/farm/earn each expansion.
    now, we have 50+ mounts each expansion. this killed whatever unique fun there was in mount farming.

more does equal better.

throw in seeing your hard earned and time spent mount thrown on the BMAH for a few thousand or trading post for an hours work.
    i will never farm another mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    Seriously. Mount collecting when there were 20 mounts was fun. But once each expansion started adding 50+ mounts, it started becoming ridiculous.
    50 would still be decent. They upped it to 150 in SL. And yes, I did get most of them. But it was the point where I said "yeah this is battle pet number of mounts..."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nzx View Post
    You literally quote replied me and I never said that at all. The guy I replied to said he felt "disincentivized" because Blizzard didn't add more mount rewards for the 0.5% of people who bother to get 500 or 600 or whatever mounts.

Let's be clear here - every other type of content in the game has a point at which there are no further rewards. Raiding has CE/Meta achievements. PvP has x gladiator or elite sets or whatever it is these days. M+ has 2500. Expecting infinite rewards from a team of people that has limited capacity is ridiculous.
    500 mounts achi has been available for how many years? Since Draenor I think? Making an achi once per a 2 year expansion for an increased number of mounts is ridiculous?

They just made 3 achis for pets, 2 out of which can't even be done now (1.6k unique and 2k unique, when there are exactly 1.6k unique ingame atm). Probably covers it for next 4 years or so. So it's not that big of a stretch to do the same for mounts.
    Last edited by Loveliest; 2023-03-07 at 09:10 AM.

So far, I have a high opinion of Dragonflight (even though it is far from perfect). However, I realized I'm starting to hit my normal wall with the latest content (leveled my alts, geared as much as I want to, renown relatively high, professions leveled, etc.). Usually around the time that happens for me, I shift my focus to achievement and mount farming until new content is released.

I really enjoy Dragonriding- I think they did a nice job balancing against the old 310% vector flying and with just enough player input to keep it semi-realistic and fun. The world quests are great. I also really loved farming and collecting mounts- that is, until Dragonriding. I can't help but feel like running old content to farm mounts that I can't use currently detracts from the player experience. And I'll be truthful- I only used maybe a handful of those mounts regularly anyway- but its a fun goal player's can set for themselves. I'm having almost the same feeling towards mount farming now as when a ground mount is released and the general player thought is: "It's nice, but it's too bad it doesn't fly." For the record, I also recognize that allowing players to use older mounts with new Dragonriding defeats the purpose of the time and money spent developing dragon customizations, etc. so I'm fine with waiting until they're (hopefully) useable again.

Anyone else experiencing this feeling? Is Dragonriding inadvertently taking away the fun of mount collecting and therefore contributing to boredom with the game?
    Sucks that i can’t choose whichever mount i want always.

But dragon riding has a proto drake which is the best flying mount.

So all good in the end

Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

What do you mean? Im still hate-farming Invincible. That bastard just wont drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Loveliest View Post
    50 would still be decent. They upped it to 150 in SL. And yes, I did get most of them. But it was the point where I said "yeah this is battle pet number of mounts..."
    Indeed, to be honest I'm disappointed in myself.

Every expansion brings another round of 1% drop rate mounts from rares/bosses. Every expansion I tell myself I'm not falling for it.

Yet, there I was, like a dumb fuck, doing the insufferable grind for the proto mounts because 'me want number go up'.

For people already knee deep 'in the grind' it's not so bad. I have no idea how someone new to mount farming is motivated to commit to it, on realisation that they need to farm hundreds of 1% drop rate mounts...

Meh I farm mounts either for collection purposes or more importantly because I want them for a specific mog (e.g. WoD fire hawk)

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    I absolutely don't feel like farming mounts. At the moment I simply have so much to do in the time that I have to play the game, I simply don't care for mounts. That was always something I persue between two expansions. I don't care if I miss a mount this way. I only play for fun. If I feel the need to have some kind of performance pressure, I go back to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    I just farmed him on the first day after I reached max level via server hopping. Was quite easy, and I was actually sad that they didn't add any more classic "rare who drops a mount"-rares this time.
    Obviously, you got extremely lucky. It happens, and congrats on that.

FYI with the Zenet bird, you can take its picture after killing it and that still counts.

"Disincentivized" is not the right word. Dragonriding is there on top of the standard mounting.
    You can still use them everywhere you'd expect to use them, including all dungeons and battle grounds etc.

The mounts still count towards your total, the collection still happens, and the mounts themselves have the same usecases as always.

This is just a perception issue on your end. It can be difficult, but if you can learn to reset that, it will help tremendously with your long-term enjoyment of not just this game, but all activities in your life.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

This is different from every other expansion since WoD, how?

Did you suddenly lose interest in previous impacts because you couldn't use your flying mounts in current content until PF was released?

Bloodsail Admiral melkesjokolade's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well no, I feel the opposite really. I didnt bother to mount farm at all in Shadowlands, but now in Dragonflight Ive gotten a new spark to mountfarm, Im enjoying it alot.

You still use your mounts in instanced content.

No, not really.
    In fact i really like that they're even more purely cosmetic now.

Makes them even more optional so to speak.
    Honestly they should phase out all absurd-rng (think sub 5% chance per week) based acquisitions in the game.
    It's just fancily-disguised gambling.

And i mean that sort of stuff doesn't need to die in a fire per se, but it definitely should get into line with other regulated gambling activities. And barring that possibility dying in a fire is not so bad an option either.

So yeah, anything that reduces rng is welcome as much as anything that reduces "fomo" or rather artificial scarcity.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Anzen View Post
    Indeed, to be honest I'm disappointed in myself.

Every expansion brings another round of 1% drop rate mounts from rares/bosses. Every expansion I tell myself I'm not falling for it.

Yet, there I was, like a dumb fuck, doing the insufferable grind for the proto mounts because 'me want number go up'.

For people already knee deep 'in the grind' it's not so bad. I have no idea how someone new to mount farming is motivated to commit to it, on realisation that they need to farm hundreds of 1% drop rate mounts...
    For me 1% drop mount are not bad, but for love of god just make the spawn of the rares manageable. That's what BFA did the worst, especially in 8.2 where every rare has to be either on looong cooldown or have weird, convoluted spawn requirements.

Exactly right. These drops should either come from a common drop off a rare mob OR a rare drop off a common one. Combining the two on a rare drop off a rare spawn, as with Soundless in BFA and Breezebiter today, is just a huge drag.

Hopefully the devs fix this problem and never, ever, do it again. If you want that Soundless mount today, geez, best of luck.

My favorite type of drops were Argus "rares". They spawned on a timer, for like 15 minutes and you could killed them on every alt in that window.

Unfortunately then, with release of BFA they came up with idea rares should only be available every two weeks (?), when warfron zone is up. But that wasn't as bad as I thought, at least they were up constantly. Of course they had to screw it up with Nazjatar and Mechagon.

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    Eventually all the mounts should be able to dragonride, hopefully.
    Hopefully not. Dragonriding is fun, but it is a massive downgrade to traditional flying.