Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Tested my VR2 now. I seem to be one of those that really notice Mura effects. Will return my VR2 and swap for another copy of it, then test my friends if my 2nd one is not a huge improvement.
    Its unbearable in GT7.
    Well that's concerning. Is that like clouding on the panel itself? Can oleds get clouding? Hmm...I'd really rather be done with the panel lottery....

- - - Updated - - -

So...does anyone think Sony won't just fall flat on their face with their 10 live service games in development? Like, I can see them doing okay to the existing fanbase, like a couple, mainly whatever one is attached to TLOU, but honestly...I'm kinda expecting Destruction AllStars x8 + destiny 2 current xpak + successful but obscure tlou multiplayer.

Seems like for live service games to really go viral and do what Sony is chasing, they need to be on pc.

Like, to me, chasing VR(/sigh, which is unlikely to gain traction) and chasing live service seems like a mistake. I mean, MS is tripping all over themselves so it probably matters very little if any, but I guess we'll see how it pays off for them.

By creating live service games, there may be an opportunity cost there, if there was a complete competitor(and one day there might be) it might matter. Nothing will happen, this is actually semantics.

I think the truth is that even if Sony's live service games flop, Sony wants to be ready to take advantage of live service games and needs more experience even if they are late to the party. They need the experience more than they need the success, and they will learn a lot from this, may even roll the dice and win, but probably not.

Honestly, it is more of a sound decision(just doing live service games to learn how monetize your other properties) than the VR headset coming back around again, looking at it that way.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2023-03-06 at 11:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Tested my VR2 now. I seem to be one of those that really notice Mura effects. Will return my VR2 and swap for another copy of it, then test my friends if my 2nd one is not a huge improvement.
    Its unbearable in GT7.
    I also notice Mura, it is concerning.

The Mura effect is a phenomenon of the subpixel RGB arraignment, sometimes you get a more dominant green hue, so you get a hazy grain effect on certain brightness levels.

Technical expertise on tech is not my forte, but it might hopefully be fixed with a firmware update that kinda blocks those green hues. Until then, try lowering brightness on the settings a bit to like 70-80%, it helps.

For me Mura is noticeable until it isn't. Some games I notice it more than others but once I get into a game I'm usually able to ignore it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    I also notice Mura, it is concerning.

The Mura effect is a phenomenon of the subpixel RGB arraignment, sometimes you get a more dominant green hue, so you get a hazy grain effect on certain brightness levels.

Technical expertise on tech is not my forte, but it might hopefully be fixed with a firmware update that kinda blocks those green hues. Until then, try lowering brightness on the settings a bit to like 70-80%, it helps.
    Doubt it can be fixed by a Sony update itself. Each gamestudio have different layout of how they build their games visually. Apart from Sony each developer would most likely need to patch their game as well. One could "fix" it by wearing sunglasses preferably those that filter the green light.

From what I gathered Mura is indeed due to the type of OLED Sony used and as you said RB is half the strenght as G.
    * There is a spectra sensitivity to Mura, some dont notice it at all, some notice it but so little that the immersion and concentration on the game makes them forget about Mura.
    * Same with VR2 headsets, there is a spectra of how prominent it is for each batch(I presume) in production, Mura is inherently a feature of the type of OLED Sony went for but some have very little, most I would guess given the lack of media attention to it and just a few with higher "faults" of Mura.

Obviously the problem is if one happen to be someone who is more sensetive to it and cant ignore it while playing coupled with having a VR2 where Mura is more prominent.
    So my advice, as I shall follow myself as soon as I get rid of the winter virus crap is to go and swap it for another VR2 unit and try if its an improvement and do that a couple of times untill I found a unit that I dont notice the Mura with or I get conviced I'm fucked with VR2.

And for those who what the Mura effect is:

Shows how it looks (again might be prominent on some VR2, others you wont notice it. Also depends on user sensitivity
    How he records it, that is exactly how prominent it is for me with the unit I got. Check 1:50 into the video

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/commen...adset_and_yes/
    A thread that goes into details and also explains that it can be remedied in most cases by for example swapping unit, do some changes to the settings etc.

VR2 in regards to Mura is a bit like the silicon lottery with cpu.
    Last edited by Bakis; 2023-03-07 at 02:21 PM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Yeah, but with the silicon lottery you are getting minimum specs and just might get extra if you are lucky. If I paid that much for vr headset, I don't want it to have lines on the freakin screen. It would totally kill my desire to show it off. Sorry to be negative, but that is a dealbreaker for me. Like saying my new laptop might have a scratched up screen that can never be repaired. I don't care if I notice it, I want it perfect when it is brand new.

Is this OLED the best besides mura effect, or did sony use a cheaper oled with high mura to save money?

Reminds me very much of the panel lottery for lcd clouding and blooming.

I was hoping that VR would avoid some of the issues common to other panels by having higher QC, considering the screen real estate is so much less, but I guess there is no way to make money with the level of QC I have envisioned.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2023-03-07 at 07:59 PM.

All OLED screens will have Mura to some degree but some people are more sensitive to it than others. Most people won't even notice it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Played some more RE8VR as people say that it's the worst offender, and I can honestly say that the Mura effect on my set is barely noticable. I have to focus hard in really dark scenes to make a distinction that takes away from the experience. It still exists and is noticable, but my brain or my eyes just move past it.

All in all, not a dealbreaker for me. I considered replacing my set, but most people just mention that the replacement set isn't any different, plus others say they get screens with dead pixels, so there's no point. Noticing it is a personal preference at this point.

I definitely notice mura the most in RE8. Might be the lack of motion as I never see it in Pistol Whip.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I just did house Beneviento in RE8 in VR without having played it before.

It's worth buying the PSVR2 for that part alone. I was screaming.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don’t really notice any mura on my set, been enjoying 0 dawn, job simulator aswell as using it to watch Netflix/crunchy roll

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    Don’t really notice any mura on my set, been enjoying 0 dawn, job simulator aswell as using it to watch Netflix/crunchy roll
    It exists, but you have to pay attention to it. It also becomes prevalent in super dark areas.

On Wo Long

I guess I'll talk about it here. That first boss in Wo Long is crazy to start the game out on. First thing's first, phase 1 makes you learn how to play. I get that. In fact, I can beat phase 1 at this point, with only trivial damage and get to phase 2 cleanly. No grinding, and 10(or -10) on the world state or whatever. Even with the most the game can give him, phase 1 is a joke to me at this point.

Phase 2 is the issue.

Okay, so let's talk about phase 2, because, imo, phase 2 is where the issue is with this boss.

I can see putting a road block early in the game, even a 2 phase boss like 5 minutes in with no real way to level up. However, what I cannot fathom is why they decided that RNG in phase 2 was necessary.

So, in phase 2, you do this to beat the boss. You gain enough resource to cast your animal spirit. Once you do, the game goes to a cutscene(I guess) and you win. To get this spendable resource, you need to parry his red arm attack 3 times. If you have ground out a certain spell(called inner breath) you only need to do it twice, is my understanding.

You don't even have to hit him, just run away in phase 2, stay in mid range, and wait for him to cast the red spell. Parry it, and after 2-3 parries(depending on if you ground inner breath) you can cast the dog and win the fight.

My issue comes with how the red spell is queued. It is completely rng. I've seen my brother beat it on his game in 5 tries from scratch, then try it 20 more times on my game and die each time because the 3rd red is never provided by rng.

When I finally did beat it, I was spamming the dog attack but apparently it is Y+B on xbox? So it didn't work and I died. I now STILL have not beaten him. I'm maybe 20 tries in myself. Bad rng except for the time that the controls were not given beforehand.

On the controls, holding R1 highlights a weapon wheel but only the north western buttons coorespond to the wheel, while the bottom two(A and B on xbox) are not even mapped(Well, b is mapped, just not actually on the weapon wheel) so the UI is not great, in fact, it caused my death during that attempt that I won, and was expecting R1+B to cast the stupid guardian spirit.

Anyway, Nioh 2 did this but the first "boss" was really just a side character that was very easy later on in the game. This first boss is a 2 phase rng dependent fight.

If the first boss was designed to learn how to play, I would be 1000% great with it. However, it seems the 2nd phase is only designed for you to run away and bait out a red move that is rng dependant, and the punishment for not getting good rng is going back through the fight. The one time I did beat it, the button combo to instant-end the fight is a 2 button at the same time tekken throw style arbitrary combo that is not known before you are actually able to cast it.

The game is designed to make you frustrated and make you quit right at the beginning, and while I'm sure I'll get over it as I progress, it is not something that should be praises as good game design, rather poorly designed for its location in the game. This boss is meant to be mean to the players(by the developer, and it sure did make me mad, not out of frustration with the mechanics, but intentionally obtuse "good run going" style of the first boss design of phase 2. Know this before going in.

Edit: I finally beat it!!!! finally, on the time I beat it I had gotten so good at the boss that it looked like a pro. I barely got hit. Stood toe to toe with his phase 2 as well. Took a few hours learning the game and an energy drink, but I am finally playing now. Finally beat him. The game is good. Better, way better than Sekiro imo. In Sekrio it was all skill, but this is like a full scale rpg. Also in Sekiro you had to throw in the jump move, but in this game(so far) parry is the main new mechanic, so less to manage creates a better gameplay loop. Sekiro also had samey looking areas and boring enemies. This game is much better from a design and execution perspective imo, up there with Nioh 2. That first boss is mean though.

- - - Updated - - -

Now on to something completely different, tlou1/2 spoilers:

Also, Joel was not 100% at fault for saving Ellie imo, due to the specific circumstances of the situation.

The fireflies had the chance to discuss the procedure with Ellie and Joel while they were both awake and free. During that discussion, there would have been talk about what the chances are of developing a cure(certainly not 100%) the chances of fatality(100%).

Most importantly, it would have allowed Ellie to make the decision for herself. Joel would have been unable to lie about the situation, and if Ellie would have wanted to go foward with the procedure(spoiler, she certainly WOULD have wanted to) then Joel would have not been able to stop it and they would have gotten to say goodbye. They may have even been able to spend a few last days together to say goodbye and come to terms with Ellie's decision.

Instead, they did a few things:

1. They kidnapped Joel
    2. They kidnapped Ellie
    3. They began the guaranteed death procedure without discussing it with the patient
    4. They rushed to begin the procedure so they would get away with it(most likely so no one with any common sense would be able to show up and stop them, aka "it's better to apologize than ask permission") because the doctor got excited(emotional decision)

Despite them being in another, more cruel world, the above things never have and even in a morbid world, never would be acceptable. I've seen it argued in so many words that the fireflies ends justified their means here, but did Joel fully comprehend their means? Was foiling those means his intent. It would only seem to at the end when he said, "you'd just come after her" which is why he is also very largely to blame, just not alone in the blame. Also their means were dumb. Even if they went the evil route, if they just would have planned a little better they still would have came out on top. Instead, they were a little evil and VERY inept, an even more tragic combination. It also makes me wonder if their science was sound. Austin Powers movie villain comes to mind.

The decision made by the fireflies created a situation where a parent or guardian would likely try to defend their offspring using any means available to them, during the fog of war. The fireflies simply thought that said parent or guardian would not have the necessary skills to implement a counteroffensive.

The actions of the fireflies played a significant role in their own temporary demise. Had they handled the situation with their words instead of their guns, all involved would have walked away as they so chose. Instead, they chose force.

If Joel was too afraid to rescue Ellie, and escaped alone out of fear, would you look upon him now with admiration or disgust? Were it not for rushed and malevolent decisions by the upper brass at that particular fireflies HQ, they would have saved the world. However, they did not trust humanity. They had no faith in Ellie's ability to choose others over herself. That lack of faith, no matter how understandable, led them to cruel decisions that had real consequences for everyone involved, including Joel. Joel had no beef with the fireflies going in, he thought they were friends, but they were not.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2023-03-14 at 07:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    A friend of mine didn't have the same experience as me with the PSVR2. He had heavy Mura and felt really dizzy playing GT7 on his first day.

Does it affect people differently? We both never had a vr headset before but I had zero problems.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    A friend of mine didn't have the same experience as me with the PSVR2. He had heavy Mura and felt really dizzy playing GT7 on his first day.

Does it affect people differently? We both never had a vr headset before but I had zero problems.
    Yes, it's like sea sickness, some people get it, some don't.

Probably has something to do with the way your brain interprets movement and the disconnect with your equilibrium telling your brain you aren't moving.

Edit: not saying it's related to sea sickness, it may be; just saying that some people get sea sick, and some get vr sick.

Sadly I quit wo long. I bounced hard off that game like never before. I forced myself to beat the first boss, but on the 2nd boss I decided it wasn't worth it to continue. Sad because Nioh 2 is one of my top souls-likes.

The main reason for this is because I also hated Sekiro, but the further I get into this the more I realize it is like Sekiro, but worse.

I like the loot system and the upgrade system better, but the combat is where it faulters.

Nioh had much different combat than dark souls. It was much faster and had a team ninja touch. Unfortunately with wo long, the combat isn't faster or better than sekiro, it actually fails by locking you into animations constantly. When you are locked into an animation you are very vulnerable. In Sekiro, animation lock was not a big problem because you could really parry out of most things, but here you can lock yourself into sometimes long animations. If you are attacked during them you can't parry.

So it changes the way I have to play. Instead of being able to attack all the time looking for openings, I am playing defensively trying to bait out moves and not get animation locked into a large attack.

So it is like a worse version of a game I already hate.

Why did I hate Sekiro you might ask? Well it's a totally different game from any other soulslike game, vastly different. It's really not the same genre, the gameplay is so vastly different.

The best true souls-like games(Elden Ring, Dark souls 1-3, demon's souls, bloodborne, nioh 1-2) don’t target human reaction time, they target guile. Guile = cunning and intelligence. With wo long, no matter how cunning or intelligent I am, if I can’t perform the quick time events fast enough, there is no way to win. In Elden Ring, Dark Souls 1-3, Bloodborne, or Nioh 1 or 2, your reaction time isn’t very important, only your cunning and intelligence.

Sekrio and Wo Long know that someone with cunning and intelligence will always easily overcome regular souls-like games, so they tried to design a game in which cunning and intelligence give one no advantage, and that game is Sekrio, and Wo Long ripped it off.

Generally, strict human reaction time minigames are called quick time events and generally considered the lowest form of gameplay. They are also not based on anything one can affect but rather the metric of how fast your foot kicks after your doctor taps your knee with a small triangular rubber mallet. What a stupid thing to base a game around, but there it is.

Also, when we talk about bullet sponge bosses, we really need to apply that term to this game as well. Wo Long has sword sponge bosses with only one way to beat them, and it is tedious.

Just so tiresome. I'm moving on from this jank. Make Nioh 3, and don't put it on gamepass so at least I can play it on a decent controller. Git gud at making better games lately team ninja and git rally gud at discovering what made them special in the first place. I abstain from any review score on this atrocity. If I had perfect reflexes and owned the game constantly, I would pretend to like it to give my ego a boost, but I would secretly hate it anyway, because it isn't fun to play.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2023-03-15 at 08:45 PM.

I just wanted to rant to people that don't care:

Bought a PS5. Take it home, set it up. Won't read discs. Games, Blu-Rays, etc. Searched all troubleshooting suggestions and completed...nada.

Tried to take PS5 back to the store I purchases at the following day. Their return system was down. Oh yay. Bought a SECOND PS5, take it home, set it up...this one won't let me even insert a disc.

Call PlayStation hotline. Setup a repair ticket. Get sent email to validate purchase with my receipt, reply, and get another email saying they'll contact within 48 hours. Call them a week later. "Oh, that hasn't processed yet because of a glitch in our system that prevented the warranty from being validated. They'll reach out to you soon (tm)."

All I wanted to do was play the Harry Potter game that looks fun as hell, and I don't even really like Harry Potter!
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

Quote Originally Posted by Anastacy View Post

Bought a PS5. Take it home, set it up. Won't read discs. Games, Blu-Rays, etc. Searched all troubleshooting suggestions and completed...nada.

Tried to take PS5 back to the store I purchases at the following day. Their return system was down. Oh yay. Bought a SECOND PS5, take it home, set it up...this one won't let me even insert a disc.

Call PlayStation hotline. Setup a repair ticket. Get sent email to validate purchase with my receipt, reply, and get another email saying they'll contact within 48 hours. Call them a week later. "Oh, that hasn't processed yet because of a glitch in our system that prevented the warranty from being validated. They'll reach out to you soon (tm)."

All I wanted to do was play the Harry Potter game that looks fun as hell, and I don't even really like Harry Potter!
    Sorry, that sucks. Chances of two bad disc drives back to back must be astronomical(or potentially produced from the same bad batch maybe). Sounds like some bad luck. Hope it gets sorted out for you quickly. Hogwarts Legacy is excellent imo, and well worth the wait.

- - - Updated - - -

Here we go again!

https://www.metacritic.com/game/play...-evil-4?ref=hp

100 from ign 100 from gamespot

Blimey GT7 is fun in VR. I'm hoping, probably foolishly, that the next rally game from Codemasters, eurgh I mean EA, is PSVR2...still wish the wife had bought a pc headset instead

Enjoying RE4 Remake,but one thing has left me scratching my head... and there's a few things this game does not explain... such as the icons for charms. Sold my green herb charm not realising it was a charm, thought it was a green herb stuck in storage.

Anyways, anyone have ANY idea what the blue circle icon means on the Results window card at the end of a chapter? Don't have it for Chapter 1, got it for 2 and 3, not for 4... do they signify everything was collected?

Edit -- ah, figured out they're to show if you've destroyed the clockwork toy collectables for each chapter.

And WHY did they get rid of the Blue/Red colours on the map? It no longer goes blue when you picked up everything... :/
    Last edited by Daedius; 2023-03-25 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anastacy View Post

I bet your PS5 costs $400.
    It is a discless version!

Put a disc on the top of the PS5 wouldn't work.
    You need to buy the $500 version of PS5.