Thread: Starfield

Page 9 of 82 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic1962 View Post
    Yes, not rattling around per se, but some sort of reaction. A bit of recoil when getting hit sometimes.
    The more I reflect on it, I can understand what people are talking about. I've rewatched the footage they provided, and yeah, I get it.

There was a scene where the player enters a dim room, and two creatures begin to move. Player opens up on the first enemy, and it looks like he is dead before his initial animation completed.

And the more I think of it, I feel like Skyrim and Fallout were both like that as well. Perhaps this is an issue with their engine that they just never cared to improve. Not an excuse for them, but perhaps that is what is happening in the development.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Sounds to me that you like Sci-Fi Fantasy, which is an extra tag on the genre. Have you tried something like Star Ocean?
    I did not try it. I do remember it being hyped at one point and time. Since I didn't play it must've been playing something else.

Same goes for Skyrim and missing the hype. A lot of people told me it would appeal to me and were shocked I didn't try it. (I might get around to it someday. Have some actual interest in that one.) I pretty much got that nudge for Mass Effect. I heard this was a good sci-fi game and people were surprised I didn't try that one either, but to be fair , I didn't own an Xbox..(played a couple odd games at other places but never that one) so I had a pretty valid reason.

Either way I am surprised there hasn't been a juggernaut in sci-fi game genre. Not on the levels we have seen with other genres. I am surprised that in all this amount of time.. nothing actually appealed to a massive audience. So the industry has yet to actually hit that mark. It always seemed scattered, probably because many studios have many different interpretations. If someone wanted to inform me of one franchise in that genre that had over 10 million players, it would be news to me and I am welcome to being informed about it. I honestly love several different genres.. it's just this thread is about a sci-fi game hence I was discussing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kixxenn View Post
    If someone wanted to inform me of one franchise in that genre that had over 10 million players, it would be news to me and I am welcome to being informed about it. I honestly love several different genres.. it's just this thread is about a sci-fi game hence I was discussing it.
    There is Warframe, but it has relatively little story content (10 years and barely 10 hours of main story content has been released), and you have to slog through the utter grind and cash shop system.

I am a big fan of sci-fi. Lots of movies and a couple shows I have enjoyed. Yet I have never been very big into sci-fi video games. When I took a moment to think of a game that was actually centralized around space. Like the main theme.. all I could think of was this series.
    Hm. Well, Star Wars is the most popular sci-fi in the video game space. But there are many franchises such as Mass Effect, Halo, Destiny, Starcraft, Borderlands, Star Fox, X-Com, EVE, Metroid, No Man's Sky, and dozens of Aliens games that are all mass-market popular franchises specifically about space-based conflict or drama.

Even older titles/franchises such as Wing Commander, X, Elite, Star Citizen, endless Warhammer 40k games, Dead Space, Endless Space, Stellaris, Galactic Civilization, and who knows how many Star Trek games out- still move units and have market presence.

Outside of video games, Sci-Fi is likewise hugely popular. Again, Star Wars, Star Trek, Avatar, Aliens, Dune- are some of the most popular and recent sci-fi franchises in the last 100 years. Some are among the most popular media, as any, of all time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am a big fan of sci-fi. Lots of movies and a couple shows I have enjoyed. Yet I have never been very big into sci-fi video games. When I took a moment to think of a game that was actually centralized around space. Like the main theme.. all I could think of was this series.

Kos-mos, the character on the front cover is what sold it for me as a younger girl. Long flowy hairstyle (regardless of style), cute outfit, and the wings (which come across as a bit tacky/overdone). Why I see less and less of these characters in franchises is beyond me. I keep telling them what I like as a female consumer. Yet I guess they will give me what they want. I am all for variety, but when it starts to feel one-sided (drastically).. I been pretty vocal about it.

Overall the series was pretty good. Fun characters, decent enough story, gameplay I remember being decent. (It has been a very long time) I never got around to the third installment of this franchise but beat two of them. Closest to a true space sci-fi game I can think of. Spaceships, mech suits, etc.

The thing is no matter how much I like sci-fi for movies or shows to watch. A newer sci-fi game has never really successfully succeeded in grabbing my interest. Which is kinda disappointing, but just how it is. Has Starfield done this? It looks a tad boring to me tbh... Pretty, but very monotone. I do believe a lot of people will like it. As someone said earlier, "it looks like fallout space edition". Which fallout failed to grab my interest. Never been a fan of that franchise. Probably why Starfield is failing for me too.

Gonna be honest here, I am not a fangirl of Bethesda. I played two of the Doom video games a long time ago. I missed out on Elder Scrolls (maybe one day look more into that) and Fallout. What I do know of Bethesda is that Todd Howard upset fans and blatantly lied about the product he was selling. (Fallout 76) I think that hit the company harder than I thought it did. This is all I know of them; that their reputation was demolished and Todd was the representative for it. Now all that aside I hope their Starfield goes good. I hope Todd is able to gain back a tiny bit of creditably. As interest in the products is looking pretty minuscule (When I went to watch the video) and that is a sad thing... for all the people that worked on it. Hopefully the game is fun and they get a bit of redemption in the process. Who knows if that will happen.
    What I would give for a Xenosaga remaster... I loved that trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
    What I would give for a Xenosaga remaster... I loved that trilogy.
    I could do without the weird "lil master" crap. But yeah, if you can get passed that, great games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    This is gona be buggy.............. seriosly guys dont pre-order and wait....
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Cool stuff, can't wait!

i pretty much always have put the hours into fallout/elderscrolls games to warrant the cost. They are often buggy early on and 76 was a pretty big miss. But seeing as they are going back to single player, preferably back to allowing community mod support, this one will hopefully be a banger.

I'll probably pick it up but, it does kinda feel like bethesda's attempt at a no mans sky, from what i've seen so far it appears as though the main story is going to be about dyson spheres. at least thats what i'm getting from these spinning rings. I did hear that they didn't bother with seamless transitions from space to planets, likewise they have 1000 planets i'm guessing most of it is going to be empty space. besides that I need to upgrade my potato before I try to play this one.

Oh, it comes out on my birthday when I will be on vacation. Looking forward to this game. I dig the vibe.

I'm cautiously optimistic for this. The game looked pretty good running in the background, but who knows what kind of hardware that is.

I honestly don't even really know what type of game this is. I get Destiny vibes from the trailer, sort of the same from the game running in the background it seems to be an open world Destiny. Obviously probably not a lootershooter.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    I honestly don't even really know what type of game this is. I get Destiny vibes from the trailer, sort of the same from the game running in the background it seems to be an open world Destiny. Obviously probably not a lootershooter.
    It's an Action/Adventure RPG. Like most of Beth's previous games according to Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by t1saif View Post
    No better way to say FU to the other cultist game by releasing a trailer of a GAME the day before a bug ridden patch is arriving for that and most probably all cultists going into war online over how ''that'' game is better than this one in every aspect.

Some gameplay would have been nice
    MMO Champs :

Quote Originally Posted by Zardas View Post
    Some gameplay would have been nice
    Yeah I'm not touching this with a ten foot pole until I see some new footage. Visible frame drops, lackluster enemy AI, and weapons with no discernible impact or feedback of any kind in a video that's supposed to sell the game to me is a pretty bad look. Frankly surprised they OK'd the whole thing way back when.

Excited for this game, but definitely won't be paying for it until i see unanimous glowing reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    It's an Action/Adventure RPG. Like most of Beth's previous games according to Howard.
    Yeah, I figured that much but I meant more the overall vibe. I suppose it will just be space Skyrim without the magic and maces. Although with No Man's Sky I wonder if that sandbox is what they are going for or is it going to be more controlled and instanced, like Mass Effect?

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    Yeah, I figured that much but I meant more the overall vibe. I suppose it will just be space Skyrim without the magic and maces. Although with No Man's Sky I wonder if that sandbox is what they are going for or is it going to be more controlled and instanced, like Mass Effect?
    Sorta yeah, TES in space. It's not going to be quite NMS-esque sandboxy as IIRC planets will be instanced so you'll have a loading screen going from flying about in space to landing on a planet (vs. the seamless transition in NMS etc.), but largely big open sandbox for the most part vs. ME's more limited play spaces and specifically designed mission spaces.