Thread: SoM 2.0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    Circa all asmongold said on his wish list. Classic+ has mega potential.
    I don't know, it has in theory but i simply feel like there's the massive issue of rewards looming over this.

Classic, in itself, is a finished game, while there is certainly stuff in there that could be improved and such, overall the game isn't exactly incomplete.
    The big problem here is, new stuff needs new rewards, new rewards will either replace existing stuff or be considered useless.

Say you add a new 5man dungeon, if the gear that drops in there is too good, people will just spam that dungeon, if the rewards aren't good enough, people will quickly ignore it (for example, it became more difficult to do regular max level 5man dungeon post ZG / AQ launch, as a lot of people simply went into ZG / AQ with their fresh alts).

Similiar thing goes for raids, let's say there is another Raid *after* Naxx, then what?
    Another after that?

Should the "new raids" be wedged inbetween?
    That means the new stuff is being made obsolete by the older "content".

In my view, any direction of Classic+ should be rather focused on polishing Classic because i think there can be a lot of stuff improved that doesn't necessarily can cause issues of the magnitude that new content can.

We have yet to hear anything about a SoM 2.0, but if you want to experience Classic WoW again you could try the HC challenge which does add a whole new layer on the classic experience. I just checked and the servers are still very much popping.

I doubt we'll hear anything until late Q4.

Honestly, I hope we wont hear anything for 2 years and then suddenly they just drop the ultimate classic+ done right.
    ? you are aware that the som 2.0 servers or atleast testing are seen on US realm lists? also som being closed since a few weeks back makes sense in timiing that there will be some kind of SoM 2 announcement in a week or two. they innitialy said there will be cycles

Quote Originally Posted by salate View Post
    You are right, but doing AQ20 + BWL + trying AQ40 is much better than doing BWL + MC forever. We were stuffed and ready for AQ.
    Not to mention that not only our guild disbanded during that time
    Honestly I wouldn't care one way or the other if they just entirely removed world buffs, that kills vanilla for me
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    They would have to do a complete overhaul for me to do classic again. SoM had a decent approach (no world buffs, changed encounters), but still didn't change the core issue with the game, playing the same balance for another 15 months.

This is just me and I realize some people want to just go back to the same old thing for me I'd like the following.

-25/10 man raids as opposed to 40/25 man
    -25/10 man encounters spruced up in difficulty much like SoM
    -difficulty doesn't equal 'fun', so changed encounters shouldn't be overwhelming, it doesn't need to be Ulduar hard, or Sunwell hard for classic 'audiences'
    -same vanilla balance is awful, level 60 is fine, but putting in TBC and WoTLK into the trees and sort of redesigning them in someway would be fun
    -probably some changes to the dungeons, inline with the changes to the classes
    -blood elf and draenei on both horde/alliance

Sounds like a lot but is it really? Changing raid sizes and encounters, while changing balance of the classes is mostly what I want. Makes it more accessible, changes the experience but you still get to see familiar locations which was honestly the entire appeal of classic WoW to me anyway. Again, some people like it being an exact museum, but playing through the same balance again for another two years just doesn't sound fun to me. Oh, and the honor system has and always has been ass in Vanilla, Classic and SoM.

I wouldn't be opposed to scrapped content meant for Vanilla being added back in. Whether that content was meant to be wedged between other content, or something that was suppose to come 'after' Naxx. I wouldn't be too concerned about Vanilla content obsoleting itself. A lot of the reason things were always ran was because they were very easy and the itemization was just awful, to the point that certain slots (usually not weapons) just weren't there for a couple tiers in a row. Plate belt from Ragnaros? Cool, the next good one drops in Naxx. Weapon skill being OP. % stats as opposed to ratings, and how balanced primary stats on an item caused far less budget as opposed to singular stats (this holds true to a lesser extent in TBC/WoTLk as well).

Circa all asmongold said on his wish list. Classic+ has mega potential.
    Fuck asmongold. Not interested in what that putz has to say. Do you have any of your own thoughts or your own ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    I don't know, it has in theory but i simply feel like there's the massive issue of rewards looming over this.

Classic, in itself, is a finished game, while there is certainly stuff in there that could be improved and such, overall the game isn't exactly incomplete.
    The big problem here is, new stuff needs new rewards, new rewards will either replace existing stuff or be considered useless.

Say you add a new 5man dungeon, if the gear that drops in there is too good, people will just spam that dungeon, if the rewards aren't good enough, people will quickly ignore it (for example, it became more difficult to do regular max level 5man dungeon post ZG / AQ launch, as a lot of people simply went into ZG / AQ with their fresh alts).

Similiar thing goes for raids, let's say there is another Raid *after* Naxx, then what?
    Another after that?

Should the "new raids" be wedged inbetween?
    That means the new stuff is being made obsolete by the older "content".

In my view, any direction of Classic+ should be rather focused on polishing Classic because i think there can be a lot of stuff improved that doesn't necessarily can cause issues of the magnitude that new content can.
    Good based take. I agree on the new content making old obsolete, but Im sure Blizzard could make it work with right tuning on items. Anyway for sure still focus on classic improvements, especially balance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ham on Rye View Post
    Fuck asmongold. Not interested in what that putz has to say. Do you have any of your own thoughts or your own ideas?
    Tell me why you dislike him. You hate succesful people maybe? What he says about other games I dont always agree with, but on WoW hes spot on every single time. The guy actually likes WoW, hes no phoning it inn for clicks.

Anyway: Make all specs viable, lets start there. Healers mana are boring in classic. I think in general mana is quit rough on most ppl. Warriors are aids to level fix it. Mage are so broken and easy-mode to level and too OP in 5 mans...fix it. Like damn, playing a mage in classic WoW is cheat codes...I tried the AOE farm shit, though it would be hard to learn and stuff, but no...All you need is of eagle items on the AH for 1-5g each and your done...Quit at lvl 45 in SOM, but by then I had mastered AOE farm.

Also new content could easily be made to fit the current.
    Last edited by Djuntas; 2023-03-08 at 09:26 PM.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

I don't think alot right now are having an itch for som 2, maybe a year or less? Classic cata is probably an automatic hard pass for me cuz i have experienced it thru and wholesome didn't like the final raid dragon soul crap. Heroic dungeon were brutal hard of the bat (chef's kiss) that's the stuff! and the raid tiers are great minus Dragon soul

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    With 10.1 rolling out right now I don't think we're getting any Classic info for a while.

If you want something fresh or different than Classic Era, you may want to look elsewhere.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Bloodsail Admiral Foreign Exchange Ztudent's Avatar
    1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    With 10.1 rolling out right now I don't think we're getting any Classic info for a while.

If you want something fresh or different than Classic Era, you may want to look elsewhere.
    They literally just shadowdropped Hardcore Realm server designation.It is obviously not for Retail.

https://twitter.com/Solanya_/status/1634132342221557762

Could be nothing or a troll though, however.

Absolutely I don't disagree I do think at a certain point Blizzard will want to stomp out the Classic player base and is probably why they are pushing the Cataclysm Classic so that they have good reason for why Classic needs to be put down after that trainwreck happens.
    Last edited by Foreign Exchange Ztudent; 2023-03-10 at 08:17 PM.
    I no longer reply to quotations beyond if you're asking a genuine question or have a non-confrontational stance.

Nihil.

Quote Originally Posted by Foreign Exchange Ztudent View Post
    Absolutely I don't disagree I do think at a certain point Blizzard will want to stomp out the Classic player base and is probably why they are pushing the Cataclysm Classic so that they have good reason for why Classic needs to be put down after that trainwreck happens.
    I could see some employee having that fantasy in their head, but i would assume that will only happen out of Blizzards incompetence (putting Classic down), not by intent.
    Some people are just not going to back to Retail, they're going to play either Classic or just quit.

Adapting that as an actual company policy will just make private server popularity soar.

1+ Year Old Account
    I could see some employee having that fantasy in their head, but i would assume that will only happen out of Blizzards incompetence (putting Classic down), not by intent.
    Some people are just not going to back to Retail, they're going to play either Classic or just quit.

Adapting that as an actual company policy will just make private server popularity soar.
    I don't really think this company cares about anything but the dollars in your wallet. The sole reason Classic Cataclysm was okayed was to sell the Bundles, no other reason.

The secondary reason was to basically showcase that Classic was dying and that it could be shutdown.

You do have something they are horribly terrified of shutting down Private Server projects these days because it can lead to problems like the Nostalrius case. But again I just don't think they even think of these scenarios.
    I no longer reply to quotations beyond if you're asking a genuine question or have a non-confrontational stance.

Nihil.

Quote Originally Posted by Foreign Exchange Ztudent View Post
    I don't really think this company cares about anything but the dollars in your wallet.
    Yes, but that's it, Classic players are still paying a monthly sub for a, in my view, subpar service.

Compare how much money Blizzard is throwing at the active development of Retail, now think about how much they're putting into Classic.
    One argue about Classic barely having any cash shop, but still, people literally pay a monthly sub for a game that's not in active development, Blizzard would be foolish to cast these people aside, let alone actively drive them away.

1+ Year Old Account
    Yes, but that's it, Classic players are still paying a monthly sub for a, in my view, subpar service.

Compare how much money Blizzard is throwing at the active development of Retail, now think about how much they're putting into Classic.
    One argue about Classic barely having any cash shop, but still, people literally pay a monthly sub for a game that's not in active development, Blizzard would be foolish to cast these people aside, let alone actively drive them away.

Sure, but they aren't rational. Never have been.

Nihil.