Poll: how do you find Dracthyr lore

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Dracthyr lore so far ...

Well, what are your thoughts on this totally new race after the first patch cycle? Interested? boring? on the fence?

https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Dracthyr

Pretty much says it all. So far nothings hooked me to them really - they could do a lot better.. but maybe some 10.0.7 and .1 developments might make them more appealing.

Atm, Evokers are the only reason for me to play them, and if they had just come with the standard class selections, I wouldn't have even tried them out.

Fantasy and lore is very important, there is something that can be terribly exciting about hte dragon fantasy, but I wouldn't say this was captured in the Dracthyr, , no, not something I would be terribly excited over.

Being a Neltharion creation is not the most exciting or inspiring origin , and where is the snowflake factor? Sure they are unique and special, but I don't feel special or find them desirable to fantasize over. I am wondering if I'm just hte odd minority here, or if there are people really into this race and it's lore.

When I compare it to say the Night elf launch and the Forsaken - it doesn't hold a candle. I found Blood elves, Draenei, worgen and Pandas a lot more exciting too - an d i like the dragon race. Maybe it's the dragon form model, but then the story doesn't help.

They will be irrelevant once Dragonflight is over.

Anyway, is it worth speculating their lore? I mean, there seems to be almost zero buzz on them. Can you imagine if this was a troll, elf or human development, we'd be abuzz with speculation.

How about this expansion's storyline concerning the Dracthyr? You reckon the Primal dragons are gonna find a way to control the Dracthyr?

Speculation about their visage form being unique and more than just a shapeshift?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grazrug View Post
    They will be irrelevant once Dragonflight is over.
    And probably never hear form them again too. Maybe they'll get expanded lore in 10 years, when we have kids or grand kids.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I find the dracthyr pretty interesting, myself. Products of a not-yet-corrupt Neltharion, with a perspective from an ancient time prior to even the Sundering, transplanted into the modern day without so much as a "by your leave." There are a lot of stories to unearth and ultimately reveal, which seems to be the promise of Dragonflight's upcoming content patches.

Not my favorite race in terms of lore, mind you, but interesting all the same. Doesn't have to be an "all or nothing" type of deal, either.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

I think the dracthyr offer a fresh societal flavor to the game without dumping everything out all at once. There's plenty of off-the-beaten-path lore tidbits to have, and I think the extra Evoker quests are interesting (such as dealing with the whispering artifact in the Ohn'ahran Plains). I'm glad they're holding some things back, and I like that they've seeded a lot of questions. They also serve as a very nice vehicle for new players: the world is new ot the character and the player, so as the dracthyr discover things, so do the new players. I wouldn't say that it's particular compelling lore, but it still remains enjoyable. I'm particular curious to see if they'll address the question of where they fit in the world, but given how that has worked for the lightforged, I'm guessing not (mag'har and nightborne, conversely, seem to be pretty well integrated into their Horde positions, but I think that's more a result of the Horde civil war during BfA and nightborne elves' usurping blood elves as the go-to magic race).

theyre okay, wrathion and chromie aew the only dragon characters who ever held my interest though. dragons are just kind of... well, dragons.

dragons in wow often feel more like plot devices than characters. their lore is kind of interesting but only because theyre dragons and do dragon stuff
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

New class is a new class, new race is a new race. Pretty much now fully implemented into the game. The only real downside here is dracthyr is locked to being evoker and nothing else. Guess when you have the powers of the dragonflights at your beck and call, there's no need to be trained as anything else.

They don't have a defined culture like the Pandaren, for example. What can you tell about them beside being soldiers?

Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    They don't have a defined culture like the Pandaren, for example. What can you tell about them beside being soldiers?
    It's a fair comparison between the expansions.

Bored or busy?
    Fun or not so much?
    Lore; you either care or don't?
    Characterization? Dragons gotta be dragons, or indifferent?

I admit I'm biased. Of the expansions, MoP came a close 2nd with WotLK in terms of fun and how interested I was in the lore and the game. The dragons and aspects in Wrath were distant figures regardless of proximity. Where as Yu'lon, in MoP, seemed more intimate and definitely a guardian/protector in a celestial draconic sense.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Fun how all those dracthyr images shows them wielding polearms whne they can't actually use them...

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

I always enjoyed the game for its lore and the world it created. Right now I have no idea why I'm even on the Dragon Isles, let alone who the hell are those lizard guys. I have zero motivation from my player perspective to care about anything here. I spend most of my time climbing rocks and taking pictures, it honestly feels like a vacation for my Paladin.

I find it hilarious that we're being sent to kill some lousy shamans and a medium sized dragon, as if it they were a threat somehow. The only reason they're dangerous is because the game mechanics say so, otherwise they would be as scary as an ant.

I'm enjoying the game like always, but the lore is pretty much dead until they start doing something at least interesting, which I doubt at this point, considering how much they hate the old stuff, and their inability to create new, compelling characters.
    Battle for Azeroth
    Best focking Axpansion!

Pretty boring and I don't much care for it.

With all the Sin'dorei Arcane Magi around the Dragonscale Camps, I care more about what they're doing than the Dracthyr.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Fun how all those dracthyr images shows them wielding polearms whne they can't actually use them...
    Did you see this?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tanaria View Post
    Pretty boring and I don't much care for it.

With all the Sin'dorei Arcane Magi around the Dragonscale Camps, I care more about what they're doing than the Dracthyr.
    Do you reckon Neltharion used Elves as the humanoid basis of the Dracthyr - primarily? That might explain the elvenesque visages.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielKnight View Post
    I'm enjoying the game like always, but the lore is pretty much dead until they start doing something at least interesting, which I doubt at this point, considering how much they hate the old stuff, and their inability to create new, compelling characters.
    They do seem to have a sense of hating the old stuff. While I don't actually think they do, their constant remaking instead of building on it, shows this, and I don't like the new more than the old.

They should have kept the foundations established on the RTS and built on them rather than constantly destroy or reset them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Drakonids are still far more interesting than these newt looking knock off of the Mogu concept.

In fact Dragonsworn are even more interesting and they're a non-canon concept.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

5+ Year Old Account
    To say that Dracthyr lore is uninspiring would be an understatement. I don't know, maybe it's the narrative timing, but we learned much more about e.g. Pandas in 5.0 than we do about these lizard folks during 10.0
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Do you reckon Neltharion used Elves as the humanoid basis of the Dracthyr - primarily? That might explain the elvenesque visages.
    No, because Dracthyr use Elf and Human visages.

Neither of these races existed when he created the Dracthyr.

My hypothesis is that for dragons like Neltharion/Deathwing, his visage might have been based on the stone watchers and the Titans and I'm not sure when exactly the dracthyr were locked away but it could have been some time after the dark trolls became elves but before the War of the Ancients. I just don't remember the timeline that well especially since I only ever went through the dracthyr starting zone once.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    My hypothesis is that for dragons like Neltharion/Deathwing, his visage might have been based on the stone watchers and the Titans and I'm not sure when exactly the dracthyr were locked away but it could have been some time after the dark trolls became elves but before the War of the Ancients. I just don't remember the timeline that well especially since I only ever went through the dracthyr starting zone once.
    The Dracthyr were forgotten 20,000 years ago.
    This was 10,000 years before the Sundering.

When last I checked, the Elven Empire lasted for around 5,000 years (but this could have been shorter.)
    It's unclear on the exact denizens of Azeroth, around this time, but it certainly wasn't the Elves.

That also doesn't explain how the Dracthyr can take on Human visages.

That's not necessarily relevant. Dracthyr only just learnt how to take visages... so they'd have modelled them on the races they saw first, or attuned to/identified the most with .. on the alliance it would have likely been humans and high elves, on the horde, blood elves

iu'm wondering if been drawn to the elven form was more than just liking what they saw.. the quests do strongly hint that choosing a visage is very intimate and integral to you, and ithere is something more with it on the dracthyr than it is for regular dragons.

elves could be in their DNA, which naturally predisposed them to the elven form when they saw it. After all, Elves were the dominant humanoid speices during their creation and by far the most impressive and accomplished. Woudn't Neltharion have used them?

That doesn't mean the dracthyr would take night elf forms, but it likely means they are predisposed.

--EDIT---
    oh.. was it 20,000 years ago? ah

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    That's not necessarily relevant. Dracthyr only just learnt how to take visages... so they'd have modelled them on the races they saw first, or attuned to/identified the most with .. on the alliance it would have likely been humans and high elves, on the horde, blood elves
    Then why were Highmountain Tauren not an option for visage? Ebonhorn takes such a form and he was also there at the starting zone.