Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    to some, yes. there I things I genuinely adore and absolutely cannot eat (like any dairy, brussel sprouts, pork). but I can also bet you that I very rarely eat any onions (and when I do, even it small powdered amounts, I can immediately tell) but it doesn't make me enjoy or taste the food any less, or means my taste buds or sense of smell is off. quite the oposite, I would say its probably more sensitive than a lot of the people.
    Well, subjectively you feel that way. It likely wouldn't hold up in monadic testing though.

Having any special dietary concerns would immediately disqualify you from most testing, however. You're already the wrong quota from a qualitative and quantitative testing point of view. A literal, "DNQ"- "does not qualify as a standard"

Exceptions prove the rule.

the idea that you MUST have onions in savory food in order for it to be tasty is.. honestly? not true at all.
    Definitely true. It's just that onions are very common and the human palette is likewise, very used to onions.

nor is the idea that we need them to taste the food.
    I never even heard such a thing before. lol

because the tastebuds of people are so used to obcene amounts of onions, it ruined their ability to taste or smell anything else because of how overpowering they can get. its not too dissimilar to salt and sugar. like... American processed food is most of the time inedible to me, because of too much salt and/or too much sugar.
    We do need salt. There are many studies on this you can look up on Google Scholar.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2023-03-07 at 05:59 PM.

We need a moist tongue for taste. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Well, subjectively you feel that way. It likely wouldn't hold up in monadic testing though.

Having any special dietary concerns would immediately disqualify you from most testing, however. You're already the wrong quota from a qualitative and quantitative testing point of view. A literal, "DNQ"- "does not qualify as a standard"

Exceptions prove the rule.

Defiently true. It's just that onions are very common and the human palette is likewise, very used to onions.

I never even heard such a thing before. lol

We do need salt. There are many studies on this you can look up on Google Scholar.
    but do we need AS MUCH salt?

this is what I'm getting at, US food especially uses quantities that are ridiculous, to the point where it damages the palette. I mean.. no wonder you all need bitter, its the only way you can taste anything at all. the irony of "doesn't not qualify as standard" is that standard is messed up. because my food restrictions are not because I cannot taste those things. I can taste those things just fine, its that my digestive system cannot handle it, but fine, lets only use people who have no dietary restrictions, you know at least for the purposes of ethics and all. won't want people to go into a shock, because you gave them something they are allergic to eat.

our standard? is STILL ridiculous. standard american palette is a fucking mess. its not that humanity as a whole is generically used to onions being 50% of any food we eat (fuck, best onions are caramelized, where we use chemical reaction cause by physical heat to completely change their taste profile, so we STILL turn them sweet). its that we start our kids so early that this is what we train their palettes to expect. that's my unpopular opinion.

you claimed that if you don't like onions - you don't like food, and how important they are for the food to be tasty. did I rephrase it off? possibly, but I'm just saying that no, onions are NOT necessary for the food to be tasty.

moreover - I have eaten plenty of veggies without salt. do I like tomatoes better with just a smidge of salt? sure. but do I love them without anything at all? yep. same goes for cucumbers and various leafy veg you can eat raw, etc. they have a taste without salt! salt can enhance that taste but its not a requirement to taste them or enjoy them.

P.S. few months ago I got covid. mostly it was a very light experience, thanks vaccines, but I did lose my sense of smell completely. not my sense of taste, so I could still taste basic bitter, salty, sweet, sour. but my sense of smell, so I got absolutely NO nuance in food I was eating. I think it was the closest I came to experience the way some Americans experience food, what with needing stupid amounts of salt or sugar just to make anything palatable.
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2023-03-07 at 03:10 PM.

but do we need AS MUCH salt?
    Depends. In professional cooking, you salt to taste. Meaning you add salt until it tastes good.

A few of the biggest differences between "restaurant" food and home cooking is how much we season versus the home cook. I am talking about actual cuisine here. Not fast food. I don't have experience working in fast-food or quick-service restaurants; that food is made to be cheap and consistent, for the most part. I am sure it isn't the most refined food.

I have not eaten fast food or at a chain restaurant or consumed industrially processed foods for like, 3 decades at least. I'm sure it's bad. Not my field of expertise here or an experience I can quantify personally.

Though as a PDR chef for 12 1/2 years, including stints at Sepia and Blackbird. Very few home cooks are even close to approaching the degree of seasoning and thoroughness of a professional kitchen. We season and taste a dish every possible step of the way. Almost nothing is "unseasoned" or prepared incorrectly.

It wouldn't be a common sentiment, "It's not the same as X restaurant" otherwise.

Also salt is not nearly as bad for you as the sensationalistic headlines indicate. The problem with salt is largely related to the diet people consume- which happens to be low in fiber, high in simple sugars, etc. But that's a whole other matter.

the irony of "doesn't not qualify as standard" is that standard is messed up.
    Subjectively so, to you. But you have to sample the largest portion of humanity to establish a baseline. Deviations from that are non-standard.

It's not a negative, per se. It's just that asking someone who can't eat peanut butter (for example) their opinion on peanut butter is not a very good way of testing the qualities of peanut butter.

It has nothing to do with "I can taste fine!"

you claimed that if you don't like onions - you don't like food, and how important they are for the food to be tasty. did I rephrase it off? possibly, but I'm just saying that no, onions are NOT necessary for the food to be tasty.
    That was just being cheeky.

moreover - I have eaten plenty of veggies without salt. do I like tomatoes better with just a smidge of salt? sure. but do I love them without anything at all? yep. same goes for cucumbers and various leafy veg you can eat raw, etc. they have a taste without salt! salt can enhance that taste but its not a requirement to taste them or enjoy them.
    But those are exceptions.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2023-03-07 at 03:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Asura's Wrath should have never been a game.
    It should have been an anime in the same art style.
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    Yeah, but the part where you have to fight that dude's finger was badass!

Depends. In professional cooking, you salt to taste. Meaning you add salt until it tastes good.

A few of the biggest differences between "restaurant" food and home cooking is how much we season versus the home cook. I am talking about actual cuisine here. Not fast food. I don't have experience working in fast-food or quick-service restaurants; that food is made to be cheap and consistent, for the most part. I am sure it isn't the most refined food.

I have not eaten fast food or at a chain restaurant or consumed industrially processed foods for like, 3 decades at least. I'm sure it's bad. Not my field of expertise here or an experience I can quantify personally.

Though as a PDR chef for 12 1/2 years, including stints at Sepia and Blackbird. Very few home cooks are even close to approaching the degree of seasoning and thoroughness of a professional kitchen. We season and taste a dish every possible step of the way. Almost nothing is "unseasoned" or prepared incorrectly.

It wouldn't be a common sentiment, "It's not the same as X restaurant" otherwise.

Also salt is not nearly as bad for you as the sensationalistic headlines indicate. The problem with salt is largely related to the diet people consume- which happens to be low in fiber, high in simple sugars, etc. But that's a whole other matter.

Subjectively so, to you. But you have to sample the largest portion of humanity to establish a baseline. Deviations from that are non-standard.

It's not a negative, per se. It's just that asking someone who can't eat peanut butter (for example) their opinion on peanut butter is not a very good way of testing the qualities of peanut butter.

It has nothing to do with "I can taste fine!"

But those are exceptions.
    correct is a matter of preference too though. apparently a correct way of preparing an omelete is to leave the middle still gooey. meanwhile I can't stand the texture of that and correct preparation of omelete for ME is what professional chef's would consider "overcooked" off the top of my head.

and I never said salt was bad for us. we actualy need certain amount of salt to survive. what I said is that standard ways of salting things in US is adding so much salt that its practically the only thing you can taste if you have any sort of taste buds and/or a decent sense of smell. "tastes good" is also subjective and maybe those professional chefs have standardized "tastes good" but even then, I genuinely doubt it. its STILL subjective. the thing is, with Chef's I would assume they err on a side of caution and you can just always add more salt at the table. to taste. (yes I am aware that the order in which the salt is added, changes general flavor profiles and how much salt you end up using) but generalized tasting I have a feeling is not much different from the way Starbucks roasts their coffees. err on a side of too much in a name of consistency. standard IS messed up because standard is self perpetuating. you have generations growing up on previously established standard so that's what their taste buds continue to expect because they were trained to expect it. I keep thinking of that story about localizing Inside Out, where animators ended up changing which vegetable the kid is refusing to eat because its yucky to them because in different countries, different veggies were yucky. that is NOT genetics, that's learned expectation.

but I digress. I only brought up a few veggies off the top of my head, but I still wouldn't say they are exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Not liking onions means you don’t like food.
    It may be genetic. Durian is very controversial fruit. People either love it or hate it. They did a study that analyzed the genes of more than 1,000 people from Malaysia, a country where durian is popular. They found that people who could smell a compound called esterase were more likely to enjoy durian. So, people that can’t stand the smell of durian may simply not have the right genes for it. It may be the same with onions.

Personally, I can't stand onions. However, I love scallions, garlics, and shallots.

correct is a matter of preference too though.
    Somewhat. That is the correct way to make a common French omelet. You're free to like it one way or the other, of course.

What I mean by correct is "to book". Dishes in a restaurant are made to the book, it's like a recipe list. So when I say a dish is made correctly, I mean in the defined manner of the restaurant. That is not the same as saying the "correct omelet"; there is no such thing. However, there is a correct Gibson's omelet and it is made that way 99% of the time.

Maybe I didn't make that clear enough in saying "prepared correctly". Prepared to the book, perhaps? It's not really a recipe in the sense home cooks would think though.

I apologize for the misunderstanding.

and I never said salt was bad for us.
    I know you didn't. I just thought it was worth mentioning because salt intake is often mischaracterized in media. That is what the 'Also' implied, a side point I felt worth mentioning contextually.

the thing is, with Chef's I would assume they err on a side of caution
    Uhh, er, no. Not really. They salt food until it tastes good. At many fine dining establishments, there is no tableside salt.

That might be more common at like a deli or quick-service/family restaurant. But I wouldn't say those operators are chefs; or at the least not what I was talking about in using that terminology.

I was talking about professionals that specifically are experts in food preparation and have acclaim & recognition as such.

Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    I'd generalize this to "quicktime events are not gameplay"

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Personally, I can't stand onions. However, I love scallions, garlics, and shallots.
    This is kind of like saying you can't stand rectangles but love squares.

Quote Originally Posted by cordrann View Post
    This is kind of like saying you can't stand rectangles but love squares.
    they do taste different though. and not all rectangles are square either, so its possible to like squares and hate I don't know.. trapezoids, because they are not the same shape, despite belonging to the same general category of 4 sided 2d shapes.

Shallots are sweet and don't bite back

they do taste different though. and not all rectangles are square either, so its possible to like squares and hate I don't know.. trapezoids, because they are not the same shape, despite belonging to the same general category of 4 sided 2d shapes.
    You're thinking about this backwards. Not all rectangles are squares but all squares are rectangles, not all onions are shallots but all shallots are onions. I personally dislike the majority of raw onions(especially red), but I'm not going to say I can't stand onions in general when there are some types I like.

You're thinking about this backwards. Not all rectangles are squares but all squares are rectangles, not all onions are shallots but all shallots are onions. I personally dislike the majority of raw onions(especially red), but I'm not going to say I can't stand onions in general when there are some types I like.
    nope that is a very basic logical fallacy you got there. shallots and onions belong to the same family of plants, called alliums but they are not the same thing. by your definition garlic is also onions and we KNOW that's not true. https://www.foodnetwork.com/how-to/p...t-is-a-shallot

Tomatoes are generally not bitter. They are sweet.

There are some tomato varieties that are "bitter" but they are actually just highly acidic like Brandywine or certain heirloom tomato varieties. They are used for that express purpose too. The most common flavor profile of tomatoes is sweetness, however. Tomatoes are literally high in sugar.

Some people are genetically inclined to interpret acidity or sourness as "bitterness". Similar to how some interpret cilantro or lavender with a soap-like taste.

I would bet your sense of smell isn't very refined. That's not an insult. But I would imagine you either don't notice subtle aromas or strong aromas bother you a lot. Like you're not the type of person to have very potent perfumes in your household or person.

Humans generally smell to taste. We actually can't taste very many differences in foods- we smell them.
    You`re likely right about my lack of refined taste buds, but to me tomatoes are not sweet at all.
    I can`t say i`ve ever thought of a tomato as tasting sweet, could just be that i`ve eaten so much refined nonsense that
    anything remotely natural now tastes a little bitter.
    Even most common berries don`t taste all that sweet to me.
    Eating a slice of tomato just feels wet and unappealing quite honestly.

nope that is a very basic logical fallacy you got there. shallots and onions belong to the same family of plants, called alliums but they are not the same thing. by your definition garlic is also onions and we KNOW that's not true. https://www.foodnetwork.com/how-to/p...t-is-a-shallot
    Shallots are just a botanical variety of onion, not a different species in the same family like garlic is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dejiko View Post
    You`re likely right about my lack of refined taste buds, but to me tomatoes are not sweet at all.
    I can`t say i`ve ever thought of a tomato as tasting sweet, could just be that i`ve eaten so much refined nonsense that
    No worries, brother. No crime is disliking tomatoes.

I just thought it interesting for a food known for its sweetness would be bitter to your palette.

Shallots are just a botanical variety of onion, not a different species in the same family like garlic is.
    no they are literally different species, in fact they are botanically closer to garlic then onion, because of how they tend to grow in cloves. shall I link you more articles? nay, you probably won't be reading them either and just keep doubling down.

shallots are often used in place of onion but that does NOT make them onions. its kinda like using goat milk in place of cow milk (I was originally going to use plant milk as an example, but goat vs cow milk should work out better for this purpose) both are dairy milks. but they are certainly not the same, nor do they even taste the same, even though you can use them and basically the same way in the same recipes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dejiko View Post
    that's probably it. for me I have an opposite situation, I cannot stomach most refined stuff, especially sweets. they are just.. too much. like... I don't really buy bottled juices etc anymore, but at one point I used to buy apple juice. even so called organic no sugar added kinds I had to water down to at least 50/50 water to juice - just to make them drinkable for me.

I have two kids. However, I do not think it is sensible to take young children along with you to every event or outing.

There is no need to take your baby and toddler along to see a rated R movie at 7 pm. No fucking sense.

I get it, you can't just get away and want to enjoy/relax with a movie. But there has got to be a better choice than taking them along to a $30-a-ticket movie on a packed Friday night.

This is my social cause. I am campaigning for Mayor of Chicago on the platform kids don't need to be taken everywhere.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2023-03-12 at 05:51 PM.