Poll: Welfare do you support it and what should it include?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Sure we have a mixed economy which means some of it goes to welfare. The richest 5% of people already pay most of the taxes though.

I was listening to Bill Maher's podcast and he says he pays over 50% in taxes. That is plenty as far as I'm concerned, so I wouldn't want to increase welfare by taking a large majority of rich people's earnings.
    https://www.oxfamamerica.org/explore...2013%20percent.

According to a 2021 White House study, the wealthiest 400 billionaire families in the US paid an average federal individual tax rate of just 8.2 percent. For comparison, the average American taxpayer in the same year paid 13 percent.
    Seems to me those 400 families could pay just a little bit more.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    I think homeboy is literally living a decade in the past, since he's apparently citing literally decade-old episodes of Maher.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure we have a mixed economy which means some of it goes to welfare. The richest 5% of people already pay most of the taxes though.
    They do not, however, pay taxes that are proportional to the share of wealth they have.

I was listening to Bill Maher's podcast and he says he pays over 50% in taxes.
    On his regular income, possibly. (Though probably not, unless his accountant is stealing from him)

The devil in the details is that for people of his socioeconomic class, regular income represents a fraction of their revenue; so in terms of their total assets, they are not paying anywhere close to 50%.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account

I was listening to Bill Maher's podcast and he says he pays over 50% in taxes. That is plenty as far as I'm concerned, so I wouldn't want to increase welfare by taking a large majority of rich people's earnings.
    Yeah I can't say I agree, I don't believe his taxes are 50% of his income, but if taxing Elon Musk on 90% of his Assets eliminated Poverty, I am all for it
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Lyrics:

I want to keep my money
    And give away absolutely nothing
    To the government who moderates my spending
    and obliterates depending on the time of the year
    brutality is near
    in the form of income tax
    I'd rather take a fucking axe to my face,
    blow up this place
    with you all in it,
    I'd do it in a minute

if I could write off your murder
    I'd save all of my receipts
    because I'd rather you be dead
    than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year

I'd rather you be dead than ponder parting with my second home
    I'd rather you be dead than consider not opening a restaurant
    I'd rather you be dead

I'd rather you be dead
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

I'm 100% for welfare as a safety net for those finding themselves out of work, are disabled or the elderly. That includes housing, a weekly allowance, a medical card and free travel.

Long term unemployed benefiting off welfare should be made to find work or commit to a community service even if it's just a few hours a week.

Ireland pretty much does all that here already.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2023-03-13 at 11:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Long term unemployed benefiting off welfare should be made to find work or commit to a community service even if it's just a few hours a week.
    And why's that?
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    And why's that?
    Cause I can't stand able bodied lazy feckers leeching off the system, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cause I can't stand able bodied lazy feckers leeching off the system, that's why.
    Again, why? It doesn't impact you personally, and the money saved by trying to means test isn't significant enough to justify the effort.

There's also the counterpoint that in order for labor to be valued correctly, people have to be able to opt out of participating in the labor market at their leisure.

Again, why? It doesn't impact you personally, and the money saved by trying to means test isn't significant enough to justify the effort.

There's also the counterpoint that in order for labor to be valued correctly, people have to be able to opt out of participating in the labor market at their leisure.
    Yeah no. Half my salary goes to taxes, and it's supporting the leeches taking advantage of the welfare system remaining permanently unemployed. That's my sentiment of lazy sods, can't stand them.

At least the Government plans to have welfare reflect those that lost their jobs to have it based on the % of their income, instead of the standard rates. You win some you lose some. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Last edited by Daedius; 2023-03-14 at 12:21 AM.

Was this thread created from the recent Last Week Tonight episode? Because all I could think during that was why the hell does someone get 4 kids while working minimun wage level jobs?

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Was this thread created from the recent Last Week Tonight episode? Because all I could think during that was why the hell does someone get 4 kids while working minimun wage level jobs?
    Future tax payers. That's the plan anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    So is our white nationalist who wants to cull foreigners because they might take up resources still spouting bullshit?
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah no. Half my salary goes to taxes, and it's supporting the leeches taking advantage of the welfare system remaining permanently unemployed. That's my sentiment of lazy sods, can't stand them.
    Your tax rate isn't remotely linked to the amount of people remaining permanently unemployed; there is no personal impact to you.

Really just seems like you want people on public assistance to be penalized because you envy them.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2023-03-14 at 01:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Welfare do you support it and what should it include?

Only natural born citizens who work if they can. Should be provided with food, cloths, shelter, and medical.
    I've seen this before somewhere... "I'm doing my part. Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    That was my inspiration for this poll. I wondered if under the most optimum of conditions that another American was in need what the response would be.

Which I’m surprised because discussing this with friends plenty of them said no.

Some said leave it to the church others were more like Fencer.

Your tax rate isn't remotely linked to the amount of people remaining permanently unemployed; there is no personal impact to you.

Really just seems like you want people on public assistance to be penalized because you envy them.
    Why the hell would I envy people on welfare? Stop trying to assess me, I've made my point: I hate lazy fuckers. That goes for literally anything, be it welfare or at work.

You asked me why, I told you why.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2023-03-14 at 02:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Welfare do you support it and what should it include?

Only natural born citizens who work if they can. Should be provided with food, cloths, shelter, and medical.
    I technically don't. Because I support a basic income.

Until we have a basic income system, welfare is a necessity. The alternative is such dystopian, misanthropic horror that not supporting social support systems just exposes you as the kind of person who's totally okay benefiting from the suffering of innocents.

Any form of "work for welfare support" is definitionally a form of slavery, with duress acting as the forcing agent that forces people into labor they otherwise do not choose. Playing shitty semantic games to try and say it's not slavery slavery, like they tried with indentureships, is just an attempt to get around anti-slavery legislations. It's still fucking slavery. It's no different than a pimp telling one of his girls that she'd better bring in enough cash or he's not feeding her this week. Which is slavery.
    Last edited by Endus; 2023-03-14 at 03:09 AM.

Why the hell would I envy people on welfare? Stop trying to assess me, I've made my point: I hate lazy fuckers. That goes for literally anything, be it welfare or at work.

You asked me why, I told you why.
    Imagine having those same unmotivated lazy fuckers as your coworkers. All because they're forced into jobs. It'd drive me insane. I'd rather they sit on their pittance of a welfare, than have to deal with them at work, ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I technically don't. Because I support a basic income.

Until we have a basic income system, welfare is a necessity. The alternative is such dystopian, misanthropic horror that not supporting social support systems just exposes you as the kind of person who's totally okay benefiting from the suffering of innocents.

Any form of "work for welfare support" is definitionally a form of slavery, with duress acting as the forcing agent that forces people into labor they otherwise do not choose. Playing shitty semantic games to try and say it's not slavery slavery, like they tried with indentureships, is just an attempt to get around anti-slavery legislations. It's still fucking slavery. It's no different than a pimp telling one of his girls that she'd better bring in enough cash or he's not feeding her this week. Which is slavery.
    How is that different in you view than just just general welfare, such as say food stamps and or cash benefits for necessities?