Poll: Is Wrathion an S-Tier character?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Cool Unpopular Opinion: Wrathion is an S-Tier character

Wrathion is a character with a lot of complexity. He's not simply a one-dimensional villain or hero. He has his own agenda and motivations, and his actions are often morally ambiguous. This makes him a much more interesting and compelling character than many others in the game. His story is shrouded in mystery. We don't know everything about his past such as during early BFA and Legion or his plans for the future beyond Dragonflight. This leaves room for speculation and theory crafting among the community, which is always exciting for lore enthusiasts like myself. I find this very refreshing compared with what we've been given in Shadowlands and BFA. Wrathion has had a significant impact on the lore of World of Warcraft.

His actions have influenced major events, such as the downfall of Deathwing and the war against the Legion. This makes him a key player in the overall story of the game, and adds to his intrigue as a character. Not to keep the post too long but Wrathy is one of the most intriguing characters in the current lore of World of Warcraft. His complexity, mysterious backstory, and significant impact on the game's lore make him a fascinating character to follow. If those who knew me when I first joined I was also a sucker for Wrathuin/Wrathduin and still am. I so excited for where the writers take this character. He's absolutely an S-tier and the character we desperately needed after Sylvanas shelved herself for a few expansions.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

No, he is an atrocious character. His extermination of the rest of the Black Dragons on Azeroth wasn't handled well, his actions meddling in the Horde/Alliance war were clunky, his plot arc with eating Lei Shen's heart was dropped, and his time-nonsense with Kairoz ultimately led to the return of the Legion, the very thing he'd sought to prevent.

He was then absent for Legion... and was... tolerable, when battling old god stuff but then promptly 'unlearned' all his prior lessons because Blizz need him and Sabellian to be foils in DF.
    Twas brillig

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    hes not interesting and hes not morally ambiguous. the writers just have him do random shit whenever they need something to move their convoluted story along. It might seem like he has is "own agendas" but really they just never say what those are or they dont amount to shit because the writers dont need it to.

What? Don't call Wrathion shit-tier, he's A-tier (the logical top tier when using the Roman alphabet to sort things)
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

5+ Year Old Account
    Ah yes Wrathion, being so terrified of the Legion, that when they invaded he decided to.. hide?

Great character, kekw.

Maybe he is, but WoW storytelling is so atrocious that you only get to see any details or conclusion after 5 expansions or more ... and even that is left in the air.

Not yet, but he and Sabellian are definitely the only interesting characters in DF (it feels like even Khadgar is on a sleeping pill). Besides Wrathion is potentially shaping up to be a great queer icon and I hope Blizzard doesn't screw this up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah yes, the character whose only personality trait was “I’m better than you so I’ll use you” and that is written off as just ambition. Totally S-tier.

Quote Originally Posted by BaumanKing View Post
    Besides Wrathion is potentially shaping up to be a great queer icon.
    ? What
    Last edited by KOUNTERPARTS; 2023-03-14 at 09:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
    Ah yes Wrathion, being so terrified of the Legion, that when they invaded he decided to.. hide?
    Wrathion isn't perfect, but I would also hide if something I am terrified of decided to show up.

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    ? What
    WoW needs more representation. Wrathion already has huge pansexual vibes and he is highly popular with LGBTQIA+ community.

He's trash-tier, just an annoying punk of a character. He's not edgy or fun, just annoying.
    I have no idea how he was allowed to survive MoP.

But then again, we've been stuck with the sissy-king for years...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You will eventually realize nobody takes you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i am no weeb. i am just a connoisseur of fine waifus.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Wrathion is a character with a lot of complexity. He's not simply a one-dimensional villain or hero. He has his own agenda and motivations, and his actions are often morally ambiguous. This makes him a much more interesting and compelling character than many others in the game. His story is shrouded in mystery. We don't know everything about his past such as during early BFA and Legion or his plans for the future beyond Dragonflight. This leaves room for speculation and theory crafting among the community, which is always exciting for lore enthusiasts like myself. I find this very refreshing compared with what we've been given in Shadowlands and BFA. Wrathion has had a significant impact on the lore of World of Warcraft.

His actions have influenced major events, such as the downfall of Deathwing and the war against the Legion. This makes him a key player in the overall story of the game, and adds to his intrigue as a character. Not to keep the post too long but Wrathy is one of the most intriguing characters in the current lore of World of Warcraft. His complexity, mysterious backstory, and significant impact on the game's lore make him a fascinating character to follow. If those who knew me when I first joined I was also a sucker for Wrathuin/Wrathduin and still am. I so excited for where the writers take this character. He's absolutely an S-tier and the character we desperately needed after Sylvanas shelved herself for a few expansions.
    Nah, your poll needs an option along the lines of "an annoying self-overestimating little shit that is not too blandly (over)written by Warcraft standards"
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

1+ Year Old Account
    WoW needs more representation. Wrathion already has huge pansexual vibes and he is highly popular with LGBTQIA+ community.
    Odd take. Why is he pansexual of all things? If I am correct, pansexual is having no preference for any particular gender identity. What is there in the game that makes you believe he is giving off those vibes?

As far as Wrathion as a character, I find him super annoying personally. He's written as a character that the authors expect you to love but simultaneously keep writing to be a giant ass 24/7. I think he's too inconsistent in his motivations and values. His relationship with Anduin feels contrived too. One punch does not absolve his crimes and it's out of character for Anduin to think it would.

The way Wrathion is written to interact with other characters, on the basis of his own plot armor/intended importance, combined with his inconsistent values and actions and motivations, makes him seem overly contrived. This is compounded by his lack of a full arc or a fully contained story. He's sort of a victim of the recent (BFA&SL) 'more questions than answers' phase of wow writing which is a shame.

Yikes. He isn't.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowfunk View Post
    He's trash-tier, just an annoying punk of a character. He's not edgy or fun, just annoying.
    I have no idea how he was allowed to survive MoP.

But then again, we've been stuck with the sissy-king for years...
    Probably a plot by Blizzard to make these new WoW 13-15 year old boys gay or bisexual.

I'm probably going to eat a ban for this but it's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    Yikes. He isn't.
    I mean he is very sassy, we tend to respond to that. Plus he has a solid sense of style. Man rocks a cape better than Liberace. And he looks like a fairly handsome young adult which is weird because he is underage

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Probably a plot by Blizzard to make these new WoW 13-15 year old boys gay or bisexual.

I'm probably going to eat a ban for this but it's worth it.
    Yes because media makes people gay. Everyone knows that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I mean he is very sassy, we tend to respond to that. Plus he has a solid sense of style. Man rocks a cape better than Liberace. And he looks like a fairly handsome young adult which is weird because he is underage

- - - Updated - - -

"Monkey see monkey do" works very well on young people especially.

Not saying gay people don't exist by default, but overrepresentation in media can definitely influence outward behaviour by the broader young audience

Or more bluntly: Gayness has been considered fashionable many times before in history, increasing to greater outward prevalence, but likewise has also subsided along with the trend.

If you care about the genuine gays there is little reason to care about the fashion variety that really "requires" such representation.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    Not saying gay people don't exist by default, but overrepresentation in media can definitely influence outward behaviour by the broader young audience
    This is complete made up homophobic horse shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Or more bluntly: Gayness has been considered fashionable many times before in history, increasing to greater outward prevalence, but likewise has also subsided along with the trend.
    No, what actually happens is a bunch of authoritarian cunts come along and use systems of power to imprison, or kill, anybody who is queer so people stop being open about it.

If you care about the genuine gays there is little reason to care about the fashion variety that really "requires" such representation.
    Man I'm so happy that queer people have to prove they are "genuine" or we don't deserve to have representation in our media. And the way we have to prove it is by hating any representation.

Cool bigotry though bro.
    Last edited by Arlette; 2023-03-14 at 10:52 AM.

Garrosh is S-tier. Wrathion is C at best.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Absolutely, but not only that, you're being poisoned by the food you're eating.
    Remember, testosterone - bad and being a man is shameful. Or that's what they want you to believe.