Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    "WTF is a 20 tier skips?"

"That is the sound of a thousand terrible things headed this way"

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    In the end the point am trying to make is.. that it is all about money.
    But you are aware that "making profit" is the sole reason of any business existence... right? You are aware that businesses aren't about "getting investment back" and generously giving up anything above that margin... right? Surely you have to be aware that the aim is to make as much profit as possible to invest... right?

Also, you have to be aware that in today's world noone is ever obliged to buy products or services of any particular company... right? Here's your money and here's the product - now make an informed (or uninformed, who cares) decision. What's the point of this whining?
    Last edited by Rageonit; 2023-03-16 at 08:30 AM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's two battle passes in D4 at the moment. Ones free and can't be skipped through and requires you to play the game. The other you have to pay for. You can look it up yourself to see the difference between the two. From what I recall they're pretty similar in regards to cosmetics, mostly in regards to colors, but some have different aesthetics than the other and it can be argued that depending on the class the free one is better than the premium one in some cases.

Every season you get a battle pass, whether you want one or not and it's free. You can choose to buy the premium one if you want. The free one offers cosmetics and merely requires you to play the game or get achievements (I have no idea). What I do know is that you get premium currency from the FREE battle pass as well, which you can put towards buying cosmetics in the shop or well, buying a premium battle pass if you want.

You can buy the game in three different ways. The second option comes with a premium battle pass, and the third option comes with the premium battle pass but you can skip 20 tiers of it immediately. All in all, I don't really see how that's a big of a deal unless you literally don't play the game you spent like 100 dollars for lol. I realize some peoples time is precious and because of work or commitments they might opt to buy a premium battle pass and decide to skip through it because they just don't have time to finish it off. I believe however that you can't skip through the base battle pass that everybody gets, but I could be wrong.

I think the only off-putting thing to me is that you can play the game 4 days early, and that's about it. Diablo 1-4, PoE and most ARPGS you play so far zoomed out that unless you zoom in you can't really tell what your character looks like. Frankly, these games are generally run by yourself so the cosmetic aspect literally doesn't matter to me. All of my characters in PoE look like fucking hobos. If my character in my mostly single player game (D4) ends up kicking ass but looks like a janitor cleaning bathrooms at an all you can eat buffet, I really don't care.

D4 does have some community aspects, but AFAIK it mostly extends to being in central hubs and some world boss/community events. Not once did I ever think somebody had a cool looking character in PoE, but the hideouts with the atrocious weeb shit on occasion were 100% noticeable. I can't tell you how to feel about the game, but I would think that cosmetics in a game where you spend 95%+ of your time by yourself would be a pretty low priority. I just like playing ARPGs so I can loot better items and delete the entire screen, and I really don't care what my character looks like.

At the end of the day I just want the game to be good so I have multiple ARPGs to jump between. D3 was a mediocre game when looking back on it, and greatly improved with it's expansion. However it just halted after that. D3 had core structural problems that were never fixed, with probably 3 really good seasons that added to the game and functionally made it a better experience (cube in the early seasons, the follower update, and unironically the last season of D3). The issue with the game as a whole is that it wasn't really supported properly, nor did they have any incentive to truly support it. So we get lack luster updates with most of the seasons being themed goblins, double currency, with slow buffs to every single set in the game.

PoE is free but unless you're a serial killer, you pretty much have to spend probably 40 dollars on the game. If you play hundreds of hours of PoE without buying stash tabs, I urge you to seek medical attention or if any law enforcement frequents this page to find these people. PoE works because the cosmetics ensure cash flow, and continued development of the game. If PoE went long periods without adding things to the game beyond just balance and tweaks, people would drop off pretty hard. I'd argue people would drop off as well if nearly every season they added to the game just was never moved forward, or refinements or overhauls just ceased to exist. PoE without microtransactions would probably be something like seasons being added akin to D3. Double master missions per day, chaos orbs drop in two, or +25% magic find for the season!

ARPGs, much like MMOs need to be continually supported and if you expect the companies to just spend development time on it for free (arguing whether they're too greedy is fine) out of good faith to their fans, well, I don't know what to tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by VoidDrake View Post
    Brah, another diablo game gets fucked by greed, cheers anyways
    Oh no! A company making money!

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Holy shit! Thanks for the scoop, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Nzx View Post
    Oh no! A company making money!
    Right. They are making the money from selling the game to us, that should be it. They are literally laughing at you, naming the exclusive mount "of temptation" lmao

Not worth it imo you will unlock 20 tiers on a battlepass very fast anyways so your paying for just the emote in the ultimate edition
    Do you hear the voices too?

Imagine someone crying about a 10$ Battle Pass skip that is completely irrelevant to the game, as if it wasnt well known that it will have one, literally 2 years back.

Welcome to 2021.

Also, imagine pretending you care "About gear chase slowly" and then complaining about cosmetic "advantages" like they matter, if you actually cared about the game itself.

Even the fact you bring the cosmetic argument, means you are way less skilled than you think you are, buy the battle pass, its literally there for your type.

Main Diablo core mechanic is to seek loot and repeat till you get a minimum upgrade, it also makes it fun to collect cool item sets, but now we will get shitty item sets and cool ones will be locked by payment.

People are paying $99 for this game, stop shilling.
    Its pure cosmetics, which means there is no minimum or any upgrade at all. Having seen the sets, both ingame and inshop are on par in quality and they all look quite good. But then again, how something looks is completely subjective.

I dont mind paying box price and battle pass, given that it is a LIVE SERVICE game, not just a buy to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Rageonit View Post
    But you are aware that "making profit" is the sole reason of any business existence... right? You are aware that businesses aren't about "getting investment back" and generously giving up anything above that margin... right? Surely you have to be aware that the aim is to make as much profit as possible to invest... right?

Also, you have to be aware that in today's world noone is ever obliged to buy products or services of any particular company... right? Here's your money and here's the product - now make an informed (or uninformed, who cares) decision. What's the point of this whining?
    You should probably read the comment I replied to instead of quoting me out of context. Anywho I was not whining in the slightest. I was replying to this not being about greed but rather because games are more expensive to make.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Are we really going to think they haven't gotten their investment back already just from the pre-orders? Sure games cost the same as they used to years back while everything has increased in price. But for the most part salaries haven't, so people don't have a lot more money to put on games like they did in 2005 for example. What really has changed is the model of how companies are run, they didn't really get run by quarterly reports 10-20 years ago, but now every quarter is as important as the next because they have to please the investors, as for the most part every gaming company nowdays is publicly traded.

And for what it's worth.. games absolutely do not cost more to operate today than they did even few years back. The computational power of servers have gone up massively while game complexity hasn't and servers aren't that much more expensive than they used to.

In the end the point am trying to make is.. that it is all about money. They will do everything to maximize income from development time. So for the team to justify updating the game, they need recurring income. And that is where the battle pass and mtx come in. If they didn't have something, much like D3 didn't have after the action house got removed, the team gets moved to a new project. That is why 2nd expansion of D3 got canned, even though the game has sold something silly like 30 million box copies.
    You think its ok just to make the money spent on developing the game and thats it, we dont know how many games will sell and how much the game cost to develop, let alone running costs of servers that will need at least the same capacity as WoW for the playerbase maybe even far more.

These companies are not solely in it just to develop games, they need to make money or those games dont get supported its a business, and a business that doesnt make money on the game its released would fail without enough support.

I support game companies to make as much money as they can so i know that game will continue to be funded and supported for years, its just simple logic to want a game you would like to do well, its pretty stupid to not want the company to make a ton of money so it makes sure that game does well for the next 10 years plus.

Games do costs more to operate than they did years back just in power costs alone, game parts cost more, its also simple logic.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

10+ Year Old Account
    Right the tier skip is the problem not the higher price point for no reason.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    The seem like they are using the Destiny 2 model where there's only soft wipes in between seasons opposed to seasons where everything starts out fresh. Those 20 tiers are 20 battle pass levels probably out of 100.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Does the battlepass activate tomorrow with the beta or on launch?

Right. They are making the money from selling the game to us, that should be it. They are literally laughing at you, naming the exclusive mount "of temptation" lmao
    Diddums. This is like saying "i paid for a movie ticket, the drinks and food should be free".

Quote Originally Posted by Nzx View Post
    Diddums. This is like saying "i paid for a movie ticket, the drinks and food should be free".
    No its like watching Top Gun and instead of Tom Cruise in Raybans you get some TV actor wearing elton john eske sunshades because you're not on the premier tier

Main Diablo core mechanic is to seek loot and repeat till you get a minimum upgrade, it also makes it fun to collect cool item sets, but now we will get shitty item sets and cool ones will be locked by payment.

People are paying $99 for this game, stop shilling.
    Dude atleast inform yourself before posting such crap and look what you can get ingame and how loot look in D4. Because you are making fool of yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    No its like watching Top Gun and instead of Tom Cruise in Raybans you get some TV actor wearing elton john eske sunshades because you're not on the premier tier
    Except in D4 you are getting Tom Cruise ingame and some alternative version of Tom Cruise from shop/battlepas. Have a nice day.

I welcome the cosmetic battlepass. It's the easiest way to identify all the whales I come across. Makes for a better experience. I'll even be able to identify all the impatient whales too. What a bliss.
    "In real life, unlike in Shakespeare, the sweetness of the rose depends upon the name it bears. Things are not only what they are. They are, in very important respects, what they seem to be"

End of quote. Repeat the line.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just cosmetics nothin else. Who cares. No extra advantage via normal play.

Gotta love all those brainless sheeps copying what other people tell them.

Like yesterday I was watching some streams and I saw Alkaizer watching Zizaran video about D4. And in this video Zizaran said he have nothing against battlepass as long as its only cosmetics and he even think its a good for a game.

Alkaizer chat went crazy and was full of lines like "WTF, HE IN BED WITH BLIZZARD" or "WTF hes saying!" , "Is this video sponsored?"and Alkaizer at the moment said he agree with Zizaran and its good for a game and he don't care about MTX cosmetic shop.
    And ofc chat was then full with lines like "I agree!", "yes they are right", "Thats what I said too!".

That shiit was fking hilarious to watch. I bet many of those people were so dissapointed because they were so sure Alkaizer gonna trashtalk BP too and got kinda slapped