Enforced "Niceness" in Gaming is Insincere

The most genuine honest encounters I've had while gaming have been in games generally considered to be toxic such as Rust. Any attempts to enforce "niceness", whether by attempting to create a "safe space" or enforcing some social contract, only results in passive aggressive nonsense and never any genuine standup behavior—at least from my observations.

People need to realize that if you want genuine good encounters, you have to take the bad with them in stride.

Letting people go apeshit really is a double edged sword. High highs but damn low lows.

People find a way to be toxic anyway, look at Hearthstone.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    Letting people go apeshit really is a double edged sword. High highs but damn low lows.

People find a way to be toxic anyway, look at Hearthstone.
    One can only appreciate those highs by having experienced the lows. Toxicity is a simple fact of life in any online game, and people need to realize this. I'll take someone acting apeshit over another acting "nice" only because it is being enforced which always leads to passive aggressive wankery.

Quote Originally Posted by Wewlad View Post
    The most genuine honest encounters I've had while gaming have been in games generally considered to be toxic such as Rust. Any attempts to enforce "niceness", whether by attempting to create a "safe space" or enforcing some social contract, only results in passive aggressive nonsense and never any genuine standup behavior—at least from my observations.

People need to realize that if you want genuine good encounters, you have to take the bad with them in stride.
    I'll be honest, I don't give a shit. I'd rather 100 insincere nice interactions than 99 awful interactions and one real nice interaction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Addiena
    Whats the saying .. You have two brain cells and they are both fighting for third place !

If I'm forced to choose a world where gamer words are hurled at me every 5 seconds and one where they're not, I'm gonna choose the latter every time.

I think really there's no honest to god way to remove it. People are assholes and love conflict I feel co-operative games are worse than competitive games as far as toxcitiy goes "You're the reason our team lost etc" . When league removed the ability for opposing teams to chat with each other the big complain was "But its my OWN team causing the most problems"

To me trash talk from opposing sides as long as you don't cross the line is perfectly fine and if they get too bad just block em and move on and if they create another account to keep taunting you well.. that says a lot more about them than you.

but even then as was said people always find a way look at Marvel Snap and how everyone sees the Ms Marvel thumbs up as toxic and how Hearthstone removed the "Sorry" emote.

or TLDR

Teammate rage is a bigger problem then competitor toxicity
    Trashtalk is fine as long as they don't cross the lines they damned well know they shouldn't cross
    They break a block it says more about the asshole than it does about you
    And Really people fucking suck and are always going to find a reason to be an asshole if given the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickiler View Post
    I'll be honest, I don't give a shit. I'd rather 100 insincere nice interactions than 99 awful interactions and one real nice interaction.
    Ironic you state being honest before proclaiming your preference for dishonest encounters. Not trying to ream you or anything, I just find that funny.

As for me, I prefer honesty over anything else since nothing irks me more than forced niceness and passive aggression. I'll take those 99 awful interactions for a single genuine standup encounter. Ultimately, it is to each their own, but it is interesting to see what people value.

having no rules about people being awful leads to a degenerate community that drives out most normal people and leaves you with a fraction composed of jaded cynics, toxic asshats and unsuspecting rubes about to have a really bad time.

This is just another flavor of "why'd I get banned for slurs"

Quote Originally Posted by BreakerOfWills View Post
    having no rules about people being awful leads to a degenerate community that drives out most normal people and leaves you with a fraction composed of jaded cynics, toxic asshats and unsuspecting rubes about to have a really bad time.

This is just another flavor of "why'd I get banned for slurs"
    Don't misconstrue my post, you daft cunt.

Funny how you think being toxic on an internet game is "honest," when in reality much of what many people would say...they would not say to a person's face if they were together in a room.

"Honest" indeed.
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

One can only appreciate those highs by having experienced the lows. Toxicity is a simple fact of life in any online game, and people need to realize this. I'll take someone acting apeshit over another acting "nice" only because it is being enforced which always leads to passive aggressive wankery.
    It's a simple fact of life in the real world as well, and it's futile to attempt to regulate it online. People will just find new ways to be toxic.

And this is closed now. While this is a bit of a minefield of a topic there is room for discussion, but this is not exactly the most promising start to the thread if it's to avoid landmines.