I'm late to this by date (March 14th), but nevertheless didn't see it posted.

Steven Seagall is Russia's ambassador now or something similar.

At least the article insinuates that he's "leading a pro Russia international movement"
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    The problem I have with discussing the incident is that it makes my stance appear charitable to Russia instead of discussing how similar incidents are carried out.

But just weeks ago the US made an international even about a "spy balloon" it knew about well in advance. It condemned China for 'violating sovereign territory', and for 'spying on the US', then shot down said balloon.

The US flies a surveillance plane half way across the world close to Russia territory, (I don't recognize the claim but in the spirit of political science) disputed Russian territory, and Russian hardware. Based on what the US just did and told the world, Russia had the right to intercept, shoot down, and salvage the drone.

The incident is only notable because the US got caught dicking around an active warzone, so it's slightly embarrassing. Like getting caught watching your neighbors argue. But drones get intercepted, shot down, and sometimes captured all the time. It's an understood consequence of 'the game' and the only people who really make a big deal about it are newscasters who need to fill time slots or politicians farming clout for reelection.

The US was dicking around. Russia was dicking around, no one got hurt except some bruised egos.

Zero impact on the war or international politics.
    The two aren't close to comparable. The weather balloon not just entered US airspace but flew over its landmass. Meanwhile the drone was in international airspace over international waters. it did not once even enter russia's unrecognised claimed airspace. It doesn't matter what it was doing there - international law is very clear you can't shot down things in international airspace. Otherwise russia's (and china's) airforce, and their spyships, would have ceased to exist by now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    The two aren't close to comparable. The weather balloon not just entered US airspace but flew over its landmass. Meanwhile the drone was in international airspace over international waters. it did not once even enter russia's unrecognised claimed airspace. It doesn't matter what it was doing there - international law is very clear you can't shot down things in international airspace. Otherwise russia's (and china's) airforce, and their spyships, would have ceased to exist by now.
    Yeah I think you missed the point. Nations spy on each other and others use that as an excuse to shoot stuff down all the time. It's SOP. Only reason why the story flirted with newscycles is because of the war. Even the Pentagon tried to quickly bury the story, in part because it knows how the media would spin It, in part because of the smoke it blew with balloongate knowing it was over playing the situation.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Yeah I think you missed the point. Nations spy on each other and others use that as an excuse to shoot stuff down all the time. It's SOP. Only reason why the story flirted with newscycles is because of the war. Even the Pentagon tried to quickly bury the story, in part because it knows how the media would spin It, in part because of the smoke it blew with balloongate knowing it was over playing the situation.
    It's not a similar incident however, which is what you suggested.
    It's like saying a dude walking into your house taking pictures is the same thing as someone walking in public space taking pictures.

The incident is notable because US equipment was attacked by a nation they are not at war within international airspace.
    Not because "they got caught".

It's no different from sinking a ship in international waters. Manned or not manned doesn't matter. It's an attack.
    The only difference is that this drone is "not worth" getting upset about and escalating things. It's a hostile move either way though.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2023-03-17 at 10:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    It's not a similar incident however, which is what you suggested.
    It's like saying a dude walking into your house taking pictures is the same thing as someone walking in public space taking pictures.

The incident is notable because US equipment was attacked by a nation they are not at war within international airspace.
    Not because "they got caught".

It's no different from sinking a ship in international waters. Manned or not manned doesn't matter. It's an attack.
    The only difference is that this drone is "not worth" getting upset about and escalating things. It's a hostile move either way though.
    Not necessarily, accidents do happen after all. Of course that's not the case here. My point is merely that saying it's an attacks either way is not doing justice to every reality.

5+ Year Old Account
    https://edition.cnn.com/europe/live-...600e105bfebf96

Slovakia to send 13 MiG-29 fighter jets to Ukraine

Right now, Erdogan just said Turkey is going to start the ratification process of Finland joining NATO. Sweden still has some talks ahead regarding "terrorism".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saradain View Post
    Right now, Erdogan just said Turkey is going to start the ratification process of Finland joining NATO. Sweden still has some talks ahead regarding "terrorism".
    And Hungary apparently confirmed that they'll vote on Finnish membership the 31st of March. I'm not sure if they'll also vote on Sweden's membership, the HS article is a bit vague or maybe my Finnish skills are inadequate. In any case I'll believe it when I see it, even if Hungary has promised they won't be the last to ratify.

Helsingin Sanomat article (in Finnish).

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    And Hungary apparently confirmed that they'll vote on Finnish membership the 31st of March. I'm not sure if they'll also vote on Sweden's membership, the HS article is a bit vague or maybe my Finnish skills are inadequate. In any case I'll believe it when I see it, even if Hungary has promised they won't be the last to ratify.

Helsingin Sanomat article (in Finnish).
    Article has flawed grammar and missing words (fucking "summer interns" at it again), but to me it clearly is about voting for Finland's case, not Sweden's.

ICC judges issue arrest warrants against Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin and Maria Alekseyevna Lvova-Belova

for kidnapping children - war crime.

send dog the bounty hunter in

10+ Year Old Account
    Article has flawed grammar and missing words (fucking "summer interns" at it again), but to me it clearly is about voting for Finland's case, not Sweden's.
    Article has been updated, it's much clearer now.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    ICC judges issue arrest warrants against Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin and Maria Alekseyevna Lvova-Belova

for kidnapping children - war crime.

I'd love to see that trainwreck XD

I'll believe it once the ink is dry.

Please god give us the livestreamed fight between dog the bounty hunter and steven segal that everyone has been waiting their entire lifetime for.

Human history has been building towards this moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    And here I thought Russia was against progressiveness.

But hey man, even a child can hold a rifle. I assume this will be their next recruitment pool, way to go to get rid of street urchins...
    Already there.

https://nypost.com/2023/03/16/shocki...ing-in-crimea/

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Please god give us the livestreamed fight between dog the bounty hunter and steven segal that everyone has been waiting their entire lifetime for.

Human history has been building towards this moment.
    on top of putins armoured train

So its for deporting and stealing Ukranian children, lets be clear they took thousands of children and thousands of russians were involved in taking them. Every last fucking Russian involved needs to be (redacted)

on top of putins armoured train
    Please, stop. I can only get so erect.

So its for deporting and stealing Ukranian children, lets be clear they took thousands of children and thousands of russians were involved in taking them. Every last fucking Russian involved needs to be (redacted)
    This is an instance where, given the wartime nature and all, I'm fairly cool with things like the death penalty and mass public executions and the like.

What was the quote again by Soviet prosecutors, who blamed all germans for the crimes of the Nazi goverment?

Asking...for a friend

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I'll believe it once the ink is dry.
    What are the chances that Erodgans potential May replacement will also be so against Sweden in Nato? Is it only an election talk right now?
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2023-03-17 at 05:48 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Please, stop. I can only get so erect.

This is an instance where, given the wartime nature and all, I'm fairly cool with things like the death penalty and mass public executions and the like.
    Can we get some JC van Damme and a little bit of Dennis Rodman in there too?

10+ Year Old Account
    What was the quote again by Soviet prosecutors, who blamed all germans for the crimes of the Nazi goverment?

Asking...for a friend
    Not sure if this was the guy, but there's something funny here: Roman Rudenko