10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    What Russia can afford is not limitless if they want to stumble out on the other end as a functional state with their country.

The soviet union of the early 20th century (and the Russian empire before it for that matter) had demographics that on average were a much younger country than Russia is now, their ability to absorb similar shocks to their demographic prospects isn't the same.
    The thing is they couldn't really absorb the loss of manpower as a result of WWII either, their fucked up demographics are a direct result of that war. If memory serves, and I was correctly informed, something like 80% of the men born in 1923 perished during the war, that is not something you can just absorb.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    The thing is they couldn't really absorb the loss of manpower as a result of WWII either, their fucked up demographics are a direct result of that war. If memory serves, and I was correctly informed, something like 80% of the men born in 1923 perished during the war, that is not something you can just absorb.
    8.7 million Russians died in WW2, according to Russian military. But ofc, since we learned not to believe ruskies, many other studies calculated it to be rather 14 million.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    What Russia can afford is not limitless if they want to stumble out on the other end as a functional state with their country.

The soviet union of the early 20th century (and the Russian empire before it for that matter) had demographics that on average were a much younger country than Russia is now, their ability to absorb similar shocks to their demographic prospects isn't the same.
    I hope your right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    8.7 million Russians died in WW2, according to Russian military. But ofc, since we learned not to believe ruskies, many other studies calculated it to be rather 14 million.
    That's just the soldiers...as far as I know the civilian casualties ran into the tens of millions.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    And not to mention that terror apparatus was sooooo much greater under Stalin, making any push backs much less likely.
    I wouldn't bet on the Russian's capacity to "push back". I legit think they'd all march into machine gun fire before they'd push for political change.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elder Millennial View Post
    I wouldn't bet on the Russian's capacity to "push back". I legit think they'd all march into machine gun fire before they'd push for political change.
    Well, when so many of them were fleeing the country to escape enlistment, that was a form of pushing back.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Apparently, Germany will detain Putin if he sets foot there.

I feel like with the ICC news, this man is legitimately considered an international criminal now despite being the head of a state.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    Apparently, Germany will detain Putin if he sets foot there.

I feel like with the ICC news, this man is legitimately considered an international criminal now despite being the head of a state.
    Well Putin is not setting foot on an enemy country anyways, so this is of little consequence.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Well Putin is not setting foot on an enemy country anyways, so this is of little consequence.
    What will be interesting will be his scheduled visit to South Africa for the BRICS meeting they're going to have in the summer. South Africa is signatory to the Rome Statute and obligated to arrest him if he goes.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    What will be interesting will be his scheduled visit to South Africa for the BRICS meeting they're going to have in the summer. South Africa is signatory to the Rome Statute and obligated to arrest him if he goes.
    Myeah, but wouldn't diplomatic immunity be a bit of an issue?

To be honest should add Peskov and Lavrov to the war criminal list, otherwise they'll just send 'em there. And to avoid disappointment, I fully predict South Africa ain't gonna touch Putin even if he personally would arrive.

- - - Updated - - -

Diplomatic immunity does not grant immunity for war crimes. Or so I read from finnish papers recently discussing the matter!

I think the arrest warrants placed on Putin are honestly just talk/BS, unless they just send him back to Russia right after. If they hypothetically capture him and try to send him to the Hague or similar, what do they think is going to happen?
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

Sovereign immunty and to that extent diplomatic immunity do not shield you from ICC based warrant based on war crimes or crimes against humanity.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

I think the arrest warrants placed on Putin are honestly just talk/BS, unless they just send him back to Russia right after. If they hypothetically capture him and try to send him to the Hague or similar, what do they think is going to happen?
    Ofcourse its PR. Putin isn't leaving Russia.
    As for what would happen if he did get arrested. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratko_Mladi%C4%87
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    As for what would happen if he did get arrested
    No. That is not what would happen if Putin ever got captured.

That man is nothing compared to Putin in terms of threat and influence. Russia would martyr Putin if he got captured.

That man is nothing compared to Putin in terms of threat and influence. Russia would martyr Putin if he got captured.
    Good for you but keep your deification to a minimum.

Haha. No. Just look how fast they turned on Stalin and he had way more power and a way bigger cult of personality than pootie could ever dream of.

If they refuse, perhaps they need some Freedom and Democracy imported to them.
    Last edited by Azadina; 2023-03-20 at 03:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Putin has allegedly visited Mariupol since yesterday

And also, South Africa arresting one of their BRICs partners just sounds absurd.
    Last edited by YUPPIE; 2023-03-20 at 04:48 AM.

BRICS is hardly unified. Hell I & C of BRICS despise each other.