Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Harry Potter 20 years on

It's been 20 years since Harry Potter finished and with the new video game, Hogwarts Legacy being such a hit, looks like we are returning to Harry Potter on the little screen.

Please excuse the excessive speculation in the thread but I am curious of what you think the next Harry Potter series (TV, movies and even books) would be and what changes you predict any reboot or continuation of the heroes from the series would be doing.

We know WB has green lit or at least announced they will be continuing the franchise for sure as the Dailysabah reports:
    Returning to Hogwarts? Warner Bros. to produce new 'Harry Potter'

Current News
    Movie Version of harry potter and the cursed child is always an option as the Sun already alleges to be underway:
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/tv/21399863...er-stage-show/

There is even a preview trailer

Rumours are picking up they might do this first anyway.

Let's speculate
    We can then try to speculate what we will actually get Live action films and TV series? A reboot of the book series/movies or an actual continuation of the story set in today's world 20 years on from the

imo: they'd be better to do movies and live action series set in present day, and maybe an animated series that reboots the original harry potter.

1. 20 years in the future: Release date 2027, 20 years from the last book release date or 25 years from the canon date set from 2022 to current
    2. Series of films following the heroes in the present
    3. Animated series, possibly live action following their children at Hogwarts.

I do hope Hogwarts features heavily, but they'll need a balance between it and anything new imo.

My Speculation of Future:

• Harry is a famous Auror
    • Hermione is sort of a legendary wizard type lawyer that liberated the elves and champions the cause of magical creatures
    • Ron is actually a professor at Hogwarts
    • Fred & George's company makes the Weasleys one are the wealthiest wizarding families of their generation in the world
    • Malfoy is defence against the dark arts teacher ( I would have had him marry Lunar who is now chief editor of the Daily Prophet)
    • Neville turns out to be a formidable and incredible wizard, with the occasional goofy.

During the series, Percy becomes Minister of magic.

Diversity quota:
    Loads of new characters but:
    Dean and Seamus turn out to be a couple and would have larger roles

guest appearances from Dumbledore, Black and a few others.

Series would focus on the heroes as parents and leaders in the wizarding communities as new challenges unfold. We get to see other countries in a bit more detail..

However I don't want the scale to be too big, there is something to be said about focusing the plot in a manageable area and not trying to do too much.

What we'd probably get
    Fake promise of the original trio being reunited - it would be a lie. Harry would be killed off in the second film, after Ron dies in the first, meanwhile Hermione would survive to guide the new heroine to unbelievable heights

New Star would be black female hero, she'd be a Mary Sue, with the combined talent of both Harry and Hermione, excellent at EVERYTHING with no flaws.
    She'd have a girlfriend or a disappointing boyfriend or one totally subservient to her. Daddy issues off course, with victimised mum she rescues and shows how a real woman should be.
    She'll be shown able to defeat both Voldemort and Grindleward combined, meanwhile constantly rescuing her hopeless male friends and heroes.
    She will then succeed Percy who she rescues as the most successful and youngest ever minister of magic in history.

---EDIT ADD ---
    Latest Official Announcement April 2023
    It's a reboot of the entire book series, 10 years signed on for, JK herself is an exec producer. Apparently she is going to go into more depth than was in the books.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentynel View Post
    So I guess it's 7 seasons. One for each book.

And the first official official announcement.
    Last edited by Mace; 2023-04-16 at 01:28 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    How can you do a thread like this and not mention the marauders? People were claiming for a trillogy about then for a while, and there is a lot of stuff that could be used there.

That or adapt the game story, or something entirely new that don't fuck up the world, fantastical beasts was a good idea that was ruined. Anything but that garbage of the cursed shit dumpsterfire.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Fred and George are the welathiest wizards of their generation
    Do...you realize one of then died right?
    Neville turns out to be a formidable and incredible wizard, with the occasional goffy.
    ....he already turns out to be a formidable and incredible wizard by the final books...what?

Are you talking about a what if scenario or something?

What we would actually get
    What I reckon we'd actually get

Fake promise of the original trio being reunited - it would be a lie. Harry would be killed off in the second film, after Ron dies in the first, meanwhile Hermoione would survive to guide the new heroine to unbelievable heights

New Star would be black female hero, she'd be a Mary Sue, with the combined talent of both Harry and Hermione, excellent at EVERYTHING with no flaws.
    She'd have a girlfriend or a disappointing boyfriend or one totally subservient to her. Daddy issues off course, with victimsised mum she rescues and shows how a real woman should be.
    She'll be shown able to defeat both Voldermort and Grindleward combined, meanwhile constantly rescuing her hopeless male friends and heroes.
    She will then succeed Percy who she rescues as the most successful and youngest ever minister of magic in history.
    [/quote]

That is if it was made by disney/amazon or i dunno CW.

This discussion would have potential if it didn't feel like an excuse to just rant about the current industry.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

I love the Harry Potter universe, but I would rather they just not continue milking the franchise into oblivion like they've done with Star Wars. I'm content with the books, games, and original series of films that we already have. Leave the fates of the characters in the Potter universe to people's imaginations.
    Last edited by DarkAmbient; 2023-03-21 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    This discussion would have potential if it didn't feel like an excuse to just rant about the current industry.
    Ah, just ignore that section, after i finsihed writing the first, I kinda realised i was making the mistake most people do, expecting the industry would give us decent sequels, then remembered what we've gotten so far, and proceeded to imagine a more realistic progression of events.

But what you call a rant I'm sure some people would find really exciting and be all for.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    How can you do a thread like this and not mention the marauders? People were claiming for a trillogy about then for a while, and there is a lot of stuff that could be used there.

That or adapt the game story, or something entirely new that don't fuck up the world, fantastical beasts was a good idea that was ruined. Anything but that garbage of the cursed shit dumpsterfire.

Do...you realize one of then died right?

If they did the game story that would be really good, but I suspect they'd do that in a TV series rather than in a film, I don't think we have gotten game stories from existing franchises made into movies yet, even those where the game is part of the canon. The most we tend to get is mention of the events.

Although there were rumours of a SWTOR/KOTOR movie - o r at least one set in the old republic. Whether that would follow the game story or not (if true) will remain to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post

That is if it was made by disney/amazon or i dunno CW.
    These people never learn they have been showing us recently. Or are too arrogant and up their own arses too. I have my doubts that WB will be different with Gunn in charge - even though he is on the DC side of things, he is definitely one of those. Dunno if they'd get someone to manage the IP as a franchise, but it will come down to who they get, that will determine whether we get the Disney/Amazon/CW type of programming or something more appealing to a larger audience.

Do they want to truly continue a great franchise, or just milk it to death for money.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    I love the Harry Potter universe, but I would rather they just not continue milking the franchise into oblivion like they've done with Star Wars. I'm content with the books, games, and original series of films that we already have. Leave the fates of the characters in the Potter universe to people's imaginations.
    But after playing Hogwarts legacy, youcan't help but feel this and many franchises they are grinding into the dust, have so much potential these people are just not caring enough to use properly. It's like they do the worse possible job story wise when they do these tihngs on the big screen, when in the past we use to have the best versions show up on films.

I was watching recently some of the DC animated cartoons, and was marvelling at how well written and enjoyably many of them come off as and couldn't help but wonder how these things get a lot worse when they hit the big screen. There is some dodgy stuff going on atm. like the industry is fighting itself on ideological/political lines rather than making entertainment. /shrug
    Last edited by Mace; 2023-03-21 at 12:00 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    There would be no problem if they milk it in a good way, look at the game, fun and without much a pretense of a story, and worked.

People doing star wars actively did to kill and bury the past and build something on the ashes, their own thing. As long they do this, it can work.

But i do agree to let the characters alone, the game did so well bringing up new blood, even within the same families.

Fantastic Beasts should have been a fun adventure with Newt and his menagerie, instead of whatever the hell we actually got.

Hogwarts and the wish-fulfillment fantasy it represents is the bread-and-butter of that setting, so whatever they choose to do next, it would probably be best for them to focus on that.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Fantastic Beasts should have been a fun adventure with Newt and his menagerie, instead of whatever the hell we actually got.

Hogwarts and the wish-fulfillment fantasy it represents is the bread-and-butter of that setting, so whatever they choose to do next, it would probably be best for them to focus on that.
    Exactly, you can go a bit further away from Hogwarts, but it is the bread and butter, you should probably at least start there or have it at the centre.

I mean Fantastic beasts could have been incredible, but it just doens't appeal to us like Harry Potter does/did .. characters aren't relatable like the ones in Harry Potter.

I'm thinking a series that followed Harry's parents during Hogwarts and up to Harry's birth would have been better, see a lot more detail about the rise and fall of Voldemort and that would have been Hogwarts centred.

I think the best thing to do would be to ignore the Harry, Dumbledore, Voldemort story completely. It's done, let it stay done. No prequels leading up to it and no sequels continuing it. The wizarding world itself is great and it deserves to have more stories in it the way the Star Wars universe deserved stories that had nothing to do with the Skywalker saga.

A cool idea I haven't seen yet would be cyberpunk tackling the wizarding world. We haven't seen how wizards would adapt to modern (and slightly futuristic) technology yet, and how their magic would interact with technology that is almost indistinguishable from magic. I'm slightly worried that the cyberpunk/bladerunner theme is a little overdone right now, but as long as it didn't lean too much into it I think it would work well.

I'd also just like to see other types of magic, other countries/regions of magic.
    Last edited by vizzle; 2023-03-21 at 12:39 PM.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Fred and George are the welathiest wizards of their generation
    I mean, unlikely given that Fred is dead...

I think they should have somehow explored Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    I mean, unlikely given that Fred is dead...
    Edited that to correctly portray what i meant.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn’t mind a tv series about the first wizarding war when Voldemort first rose to power

They would never blow their most valuable IP on a TV show. Maaaaybe if they launched a streaming service and wanted to attract people to it or something, but short of that it will obviously be movies. And one thing is for sure: HUGE budgets.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    They would never blow their most valuable IP on a TV show. Maaaaybe if they launched a streaming service and wanted to attract people to it or something, but short of that it will obviously be movies. And one thing is for sure: HUGE budgets.
    They already have a stremaing service, it's called HBO Max, and you can watch all the Harry Potter films on it.

So I guess it's 7 seasons. One for each book.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Timeline wise 20 years on would be 2018 I believe, is that right?

I'm kinda excited about this. I always thought that they would could explore the world much more if the movies were a series instead. Happy to see that happening.

As a fan of the movies I'm definitely interested in how the TV show would handle the material. At the very least maybe Ron won't get the shaft like he did in the movies.

That's gonna be a tough one. It's going to constantly be fighting the legacy of the original movies (that aren't that old). Poor actor that has to follow in Alan Rickman's shoes.
    "The customer is always right" is a nice way of saying "I will put up with your bullshit as long as you pay me"