Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    Based on... nothing.
    Based on social constructionism. What's how you become a professor in religion, without necessarily presenting the picture of God.

That may trigger people who asks for a source all the time - who really don't do anything to prove the opposite either.
    Last edited by HansOlo; 2023-03-21 at 10:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HansOlo View Post
    Based on social constructionism.

What are you even talking about, dude?

"Social constructionism is a theory of knowledge that holds that characteristics typically thought to be immutable and solely biological—such as gender, race, class, ability, and sexuality—are products of human definition and interpretation shaped by cultural and historical contexts"

What on Earth does that have to do with what you're talking about here? You're just throwing out words you clearly don't understand the meaning of, in what seems like a desperate attempt to save face.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    What are you even talking about, dude?

"Social constructionism is a theory of knowledge that holds that characteristics typically thought to be immutable and solely biological—such as gender, race, class, ability, and sexuality—are products of human definition and interpretation shaped by cultural and historical contexts"

What on Earth does that have to do with what you're talking about here? You're just throwing out words you clearly don't understand the meaning of, in what seems like a desperate attempt to save face.
    That's out of context.

"Social constructionism insists that we take a critical stance toward our taken-for-granted ways of understanding the world (including ourselves). It invites us to be critical of the idea that our observations of the world unproblematically yield its nature to us, to challenge the view that conventional knowledge is based on objective, unbiased observation of the world."

https://www.allbusiness.com/managers...3872115-1.html

And that's why I challenge the entire industry and not Edge. And yes - this is the realm of tinfoil material. I'll admit that.

That's out of context.

"Social constructionism insists that we take a critical stance toward our taken-for-granted ways of understanding the world (including ourselves). It invites us to be critical of the idea that our observations of the world unproblematically yield its nature to us, to challenge the view that conventional knowledge is based on objective, unbiased observation of the world."

https://www.allbusiness.com/managers...3872115-1.html

And that's why I challenge the entire industry and not Edge. And yes - this is the realm of tinfoil material. I'll admit that.
    One guy on a message board for a video game where we slay internet dragons for imaginary loot versus an entire industry of paid professionals who stand to lose their entire livelihood if even a fraction of the accusations held any merit whatsoever.

I guess keep fighting the good fight, my guy. But you look ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    One guy on a message board for a video game where we slay internet dragons for imaginary loot versus an entire industry of paid professionals who stand to lose their entire livelihood if even a fraction of the accusations held any merit whatsoever.

I guess keep fighting the good fight, my guy. But you look ridiculous.
    What's the alternative - that we start some link fight? It's not going to change anything anyway.

I wanted defend myself - because I get accused for being wrong, without any proof.
    Last edited by HansOlo; 2023-03-21 at 09:22 PM.

What's the alternative - that we start some link fight? It's not going to change anything anyway.

I wanted defend myself - because I get accused for being wrong, without any proof.
    The alternative is that you're simply wrong, which is the actual case here. Sometimes you're just wrong and that's fine, it's not an insult or an attack on you to be wrong. I'm wrong about plenty of stuff and while it's not "fun", they're all learning moments.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    The alternative is that you're simply wrong, which is the actual case here. Sometimes you're just wrong and that's fine, it's not an insult or an attack on you to be wrong. I'm wrong about plenty of stuff and while it's not "fun", they're all learning moments.
    I said that the industry holds power over the journalists. And you disagreed.

Im not wrong, just because you disagree with me. I don't discredit your background either. It's you who makes it personal.

But I also have my own background. That is why I don't talk about journalism and it's technicalities - but the business aspect.
    Last edited by HansOlo; 2023-03-21 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    umm, my man, r/conspiracy is thataway -------->

Like, seriously, this is why you shouldn't post when high.
    Cancel away.. (as infraction received for my post you quoted proves that people gets triggered for opposing views for no reason). This isn't a criminal court case, nor it's a scientific presentation. To deny it's existence is to deny that interested party/investor/you/me couldn't do it by themselves.

Anyone can do it since nobody can audit what you do in private.
    Last edited by neik; 2023-03-21 at 10:00 PM.

According to Reporters Without Border - only 8 countries holds a relative good standard. More than half of european countries are supressed one way or other and some to a severe degree.

US and many european countries can be compared to Nambia and South Africa.
    https://rsf.org/en/index

This doens't have some sort of cultural or social implication in the gaming industry? I really have hard time believing that.
    Last edited by HansOlo; 2023-03-21 at 10:25 PM.

This doens't have some sort of cultural or social implication in the gaming industry? I really have hard time believing that.
    No, it doesn't. The kind of reporting that is focused on - actual news coverage of events from actual reporters writing for actual news outlets and breaking stories of actual real-world significance - is radically different than what games "journalism" is. There are only a handful of actual trained journalists in the gaming industry, and only a few more than can do that kind of actual work. The vast majority of writing is essentially blogging.

Nobody at IGN is worrying about being jailed because they wrote an extensive report on E3 shaping up to be a shitshow. Jason Schreier isn't looking over his shoulder all the time to see if EA is having folks tail him home because of the deep dive pieces he did on Anthem and Mass Effect: Andromeda.

This is what I'm getting at: Your foundational starting point here is completely off-base. Games journalism isn't the same thing as Woodward and Bernstein meeting with Deepthroat in a shady parking lot and breaking the Watergate story.

You don't know what you're talking about at all.

Total ignorance of the industry and business.

I think the big disconnect here is that the "insiders" are trying to present that gaming is somehow the ONE place on Earth that money somehow has absolutely no influence, so of course people are kinda tilting their heads a bit at it.

If there was any hint at a middle ground at all, the people in question might buy it, but this whole, "Nope, never has happened, never will, could never, it's the one single, solitary, pure industry in human history." act isn't believable either.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    No, it doesn't. The kind of reporting that is focused on - actual news coverage of events from actual reporters writing for actual news outlets and breaking stories of actual real-world significance - is radically different than what games "journalism" is. There are only a handful of actual trained journalists in the gaming industry, and only a few more than can do that kind of actual work. The vast majority of writing is essentially blogging.

Nobody at IGN is worrying about being jailed because they wrote an extensive report on E3 shaping up to be a shitshow. Jason Schreier isn't looking over his shoulder all the time to see if EA is having folks tail him home because of the deep dive pieces he did on Anthem and Mass Effect: Andromeda.

This is what I'm getting at: Your foundational starting point here is completely off-base. Games journalism isn't the same thing as Woodward and Bernstein meeting with Deepthroat in a shady parking lot and breaking the Watergate story.
    Why does it matter what my foundational starting point is? We are here to discuss, not to lecture. You don't have to watch the sausage being made.

It's very hard for me to discuss with you. You have this black/white approach.

You are implictly saying that the "real" news are more "important". Gaming "journalism" is just blogging. That answer is subjective - we can all tell.

But I still wonder, if this has cultural or social implication in the industry? Why wouldn't it reach out to the big cooperates and gamestudios - as some powertool? Data clearly shows that the current culture enables suppression.

You really don't say anything, outside what the journalistic content is.
    Last edited by HansOlo; 2023-03-21 at 11:43 PM.

30 years ago Team 17 (Worms) tried to sue Amiga Power magazine for giving their games too low scores (AP magazine used the whole 100 point scale, so average games would receive a 50% score instead of the standard 70-75%.) When the lawsuit was unsuccessful they stopped sending the magazine review copies and made their sister magazines at Future Publishing sign agreements not to lend copies to them. Amiga Power just went out and bought the games when they were released. Team 17 started putting uncomplimentary Easter eggs in their games about the publication.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    30 years ago Team 17 (Worms) tried to sue Amiga Power magazine for giving their games too low scores (AP magazine used the whole 100 point scale, so average games would receive a 50% score instead of the standard 70-75%.) When the lawsuit was unsuccessful they stopped sending the magazine review copies and made their sister magazines at Future Publishing sign agreements not to lend copies to them. Amiga Power just went out and bought the games when they were released. Team 17 started putting uncomplimentary Easter eggs in their games about the publication.
    And we are here - thinking that we evolved from this culture, into entities in perfect order.

Meanwhile, the industry gotten bigger than anything else.

And we are here - thinking that we evolved from this culture, into entities in perfect order.

Meanwhile, the industry gotten bigger than anything else.
    What happened with Team 17 shows that Publishers/Developers can't do shit to publications, even if they WANTED to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Addiena
    Whats the saying .. You have two brain cells and they are both fighting for third place !

Quote Originally Posted by Stickiler View Post
    What happened with Team 17 shows that Publishers/Developers can't do shit to publications, even if they WANTED to.
    If you still live in 1997.

You know how big the industry is today in comparision? Ranging from Twitch and Google appreance, to hardware producers and to institutions. Power and greed is proportional across the entire supply chain - and bad publications will affect thier capacity of the market share.

But that's my own doomsday reality.
    Last edited by HansOlo; 2023-03-22 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by neik View Post
    Cancel away.. (as infraction received for my post you quoted proves that people gets triggered for opposing views for no reason). This isn't a criminal court case, nor it's a scientific presentation. To deny it's existence is to deny that interested party/investor/you/me couldn't do it by themselves.

8 hours later and still apparently high as hell. That must be some really good shit man.

Honestly though, wtf are you even talking about? This is a thread about games journalism. Not exactly sure what you imagine Alphabet Soup agency Deep Cover agent provocateurs have to do with such......

- - - Updated - - -

You are implictly saying that the "real" news are more "important". Gaming "journalism" is just blogging. That answer is subjective - we can all tell.

But I still wonder, if this has cultural or social implication in the industry? Why wouldn't it reach out to the big cooperates and gamestudios - as some powertool? Data clearly shows that the current culture enables suppression.
    "Oppressive Totalitarian Government Regimes exist and actively work to suppress legitimate Journalistic efforts to expose their many terrible actions, therefore Blizzard must totally be strongarming and gaming magazines and internet influencers like Total Biscuit with payola-for-good-reviews-or-we-blacklist-you threats" is an absolutely atomic level hot take I completely did not see this thread producing.

Thanks for that, I haven't had a laugh this good in days......

Like, the fact that you actually, 100% straight faced seriously asked if Pro-Journalists doing serious pieces on dangerous Governments that could potentially result in their arrest and death are "implicitly" more "important" than games rag reviews on the latest looter shooter is absolutely fucking mindboggling...... Yes. 100000% yes they are more important. Implicitly.

You getting infracted doesn't make you any more right than if I called you an idiot and got infracted. so again, as Surfd said, r/conspiracy is that way ---->

7+ Year Old Account

You don't even understand what cancel means and you want people to take you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.