Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    Im not asking to review potential (>_<) guys

The game was revolutionary and without any major bugs. Not even disconnects were common.
    I sinked thousands of hours in it...i skipped school to play it many times...im a loser today because of monster hunter 1 (nah just kidding, but i DID skip many school days for it)

I dont know what to say...

Quote Originally Posted by Roanda View Post
    Im not asking to review potential (>_<) guys

The game was revolutionary and without any major bugs. Not even disconnects were common.
    I sinked thousands of hours in it...i skipped school to play it many times...im a loser today because of monster hunter 1 (nah just kidding, but i DID skip many school days for it)

I dont know what to say...
    You brought up the reviewers "failure" to see the potential, that's on you.

Beyond that your complaints have transitioned from, "They're paid." to making it repeatedly clear that you don't understand the point of reviews, despite repeat explanations, and that you react with hostility towards opinions you disagree with (calling for reviewers to be fired). Those are all big "you" problems, and if you're not open to learning what reviews are and being reasonable then we can't help you out here.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    You brought up the reviewers "failure" to see the potential, that's on you.

Beyond that your complaints have transitioned from, "They're paid." to making it repeatedly clear that you don't understand the point of reviews, despite repeat explanations, and that you react with hostility towards opinions you disagree with (calling for reviewers to be fired). Those are all big "you" problems, and if you're not open to learning what reviews are and being reasonable then we can't help you out here.
    Wait wait wait, there is a misunderstanding.
    I dont agree with OP at all...and i never agreed to any conspiracy theories.

I said at most, "ofcourse there is pressures" because in life, specially in jobs like this there is always pressures...

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    About a decade ago or maybe half a decade ago, we had validated concerns that Triple-A game studios would pay off reviewers to shill their game even if it was shit.

But we've had a slew of Triple-A games in recent times, namely Callisto Protocol and Forspoken, that only had their reviews delayed; they opened to horrible reception.

I'm mainly suspicious because Resident Evil 4 remake reviews have been rolling in quite a bit ahead of release, and it has opened to near-universal acclaim.
    If a company is confident in the quality of their product, they allow for it to be reviewed ahead of release.

If a company is not confident in the quality of their product, they usually legally require reviews not be released until release day via NDAs or simply not sending out review copies ahead of release.

Been like this for a very long time. And it's not always the case, either. There have been great games that did not allow for reviews ahead of release, and there have been bad games that have allowed reviews ahead of release. It's just rarely a good sign when a company does not allow their product to be reviewed before it's available to the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by Neuroticaine View Post
    If a company is not confident in the quality of their product, they usually legally require reviews not be released until release day via NDAs or simply not sending out review copies ahead of release.
    This is totally untrue. And it was my job for 4-5 years specifically to manage this sort of thing.

There is not one type of "review" copy of anything. A game review could be based on a previous iteration of the game than a retail release with unfinished or placeholder elements. Or entirely missing elements.

This is the same for film and television as well- this is very common in fact. I just got the Marvelous Ms. Maisel screeners last week and they were not finished for broadcast.

The longer the lead time for a review, the sooner platforms and publications would need the product for review.

This is called a commercial and professional review copy.

Another factor why NDAs are used is for spoilers, copywriter protections, and regional-based legal obligations to distributors and publishers.

You can not just say, "Oh it's Wednesday, March 20th. Push the button for the game release."

It does not work that way for any major game, film, or television show publication.

Edit: Also, an NDA is not what some people think it is. There is a lot an NDA will not cover. There is also a difference between a confidentiality agreement and a non-disclosure agreement in media. One doesn't necessarily cover the other. This was also my job for like 2 years.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2023-03-24 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shane brannigan View Post
    see your statement. that's actual cope. It's mainstream to accept that reviews are dishonest crap these days. Probably because of all the movies getting 80's when they're 30's. And as for Elden ring, fromsoft doesn't need the reviews. Elden ring sold itself by existing, Dark soul's but open world was going to get game of the year regardless of reviews. And if you don't believe a bunch of people with no passion for the medium they review wouldn't set up a discord so they can coast like a failing college student. you're delusional. And as for last minute pre-orders in reality they're more influenced by pre-order bonuses disappearing rather than I dunno Kotaku. That being said I will give you reviews might probably influence children given they have a reduced amount of lived experience to reference.

But hey I got no idea who this NPD guy, but it's not as if people haven't falsified data before to inflate something's value.
    Elden Ring has actually sold dramatically more than previous From Software games, well beyond the Souls series' usual core audience. This is absolutely helped by being portrayed as a modern masterpiece.

Whether you want to accept reality or not, the average gamer is NOT the "gamer" you have in your mind. The average gamer is normal people that generally do not have an opinion on games journalism one way or the other. However, tons of good reviews allows for the publisher to push for a renewed media blitz telling potential buys how great their product is, which increase product sales. If these did not matter, publishers would not continue to invest in accolades marketing. We wouldn't continue to see rereleases of games marketed as GotY Editions.

Look honestly, my truth is this. Yes there in some cases a level of trepidation of pissing off publishers but that is founded in worries about the basic understand of the game and unfair criticisms, not fair criticisms. For example, judging a whole 60 hour game by its bad ending decision is not fair and might anger publishers. Go to rotten tomatoes right now and look up a movie that is great with a bad ending. It will have mid to high critic, low user score.

You know what does actually make reviewers afraid? Putting a review out that angers gamers. Going viral for a bad review and getting personally attacked. Also their reputation loss and future work.

So pro reviewers have MUCH more incentive to get the review right than to try to pump the score up. People will know they were full of it once they play the game.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2023-03-24 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roanda View Post
    I think you can objectively say graphics, gameplay and maybe interface if they are good or not.
    Story, vibe, customization, character design, sound...fun factor...not so much.

I dunno man...IDEALLY every professional critic would just share and rate objectively opinions...like what the NEWS channels are supposed to be...yet they are not.
    You can make story good or bad. You know that people write and study HOW to make story not sucks? The same thing with vibe - it can clash with other elements. Character design is the same, sound? Dont even get me started, you can have sound that actually annoy people, like scientifically proven.

Fun factor is the only thing that is 100% subjective but even it can be guided.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    Look honestly, my truth is this. Yes there in some cases a level of trepidation of pissing off publishers but that is founded in worries about the basic understand of the game and unfair criticisms, not fair criticisms. For example, judging a whole 60 hour game by its bad ending decision is not fair and might anger publishers. Go to rotten tomatoes right now and look up a movie that is great with a bad ending. It will have mid to high critic, low user score.

You know what does actually make reviewers afraid? Putting a review out that angers gamers. Going viral for a bad review and getting personally attacked. Also their reputation loss and future work.

So pro reviewers have MUCH more incentive to get the review right than to try to pump the score up. People will know they were full of it once they play the game.
    LoL, im sure AngryJoe is afraid of evil player base which would do what exactly to him?

Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    LoL, im sure AngryJoe is afraid of evil player base which would do what exactly to him?
    There are still people that unironically watch joe for reviews? I thought that schmuck lost his gaming relevance years ago so started dipping into reviewing and reacting to other forms of media.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    There are still people that unironically watch joe for reviews? I thought that schmuck lost his gaming relevance years ago so started dipping into reviewing and reacting to other forms of media.
    Irrelevant to the point im making. He is millionaire. He could just quit and be done. He doesnt give the fuck both what player base thinks and what companies thinks. It is priviledge for them to be reviewed by him and blacklisting him is simply a bad buisness.

Elden Ring has actually sold dramatically more than previous From Software games, well beyond the Souls series' usual core audience. This is absolutely helped by being portrayed as a modern masterpiece.

Whether you want to accept reality or not, the average gamer is NOT the "gamer" you have in your mind. The average gamer is normal people that generally do not have an opinion on games journalism one way or the other. However, tons of good reviews allows for the publisher to push for a renewed media blitz telling potential buys how great their product is, which increase product sales. If these did not matter, publishers would not continue to invest in accolades marketing. We wouldn't continue to see rereleases of games marketed as GotY Editions.
    You Know since you've brought it up. I think game of the year being a closed system is pretty much the only form of relevance most review outlets really have today.
    Because While Smokey Joe the crack head might not read a IGN review, he sure as fuck can see "game of the year".

But as a whole kinda an outdated reductive take. The souls thing for example completely ignores, the influence increased internet availability around the world creating new markets. conversion of piracy to sale through grey market resellers, memetics, new generations entering the market, trusted influencers and the forming parasocial relationships. Streaming that's a big one. new social media formats. there's a whole host of reasons why Elden ring sold better than the souls series. the marketing pressure exuded by Conventual reviews is just a fraction of what it once was. they're hardly the driving factor behind a marketing blitz, personally while not my thing I think hololive does a lot more to market games than lets say Kotaku.

As for the "gamer" thing. I think you're consuming a niche sub-culture of power users with the general audience. its a degree of investment kind of thing.
    For example a crack head plays the odd game while lighting up, probably not getting reviews from IGN. Average office worker hasn't got a lot of free time, more often than not doesn't have the energy to game, probably gonna ask friends who do game what they think before buying, then watch gameplay or dunkey. average heavy social media user, more exposure through adverts than anything else, probably doesn't know what rock-paper-shotgun is. the only people that would care, are the obsessive few and people who's careers kind of need to reference them.

But to reiterate my original post in this thread.
    I kind of don't think they really need to pressure journalists, the lack of relevance does that already. + They kind of polarised their target audience.

Quote Originally Posted by shane brannigan View Post
    But as a whole kinda an outdated reductive take. The souls thing for example completely ignores, the influence increased internet availability around the world creating new markets. conversion of piracy to sale through grey market resellers, memetics, new generations entering the market, trusted influencers and the forming parasocial relationships. Streaming that's a big one. new social media formats. there's a whole host of reasons why Elden ring sold better than the souls series. the marketing pressure exuded by Conventual reviews is just a fraction of what it once was. they're hardly the driving factor behind a marketing blitz, personally while not my thing I think hololive does a lot more to market games than lets say Kotaku.
    None of these things have dramatically shifted since Sekiro, or even Dark Souls 3. Even since Bloodborne. None of those games were quite as universally critically acclaimed, and thus did not get the same level of post release marketing blitz, which influenced the overall reach and popularity of the game being played by streamers. Streamers don't usually play a lot of no-name games that no one has ever heard of unless it is a niche streamer that specifically seeks out specific types of games. The biggest games played by streamers are played because the games are already popular and increases the potential audience because they streamer knows tons of people are already interested and playing the game.

Irrelevant to the point im making. He is millionaire. He could just quit and be done. He doesnt give the fuck both what player base thinks and what companies thinks. It is priviledge for them to be reviewed by him and blacklisting him is simply a bad buisness.
    A privilege? LMFAO I didn't know Joe had an mmo-c account to come here and still act like he is relevant to the gaming industry.

None of these things have dramatically shifted since Sekiro, or even Dark Souls 3. Even since Bloodborne. None of those games were quite as universally critically acclaimed, and thus did not get the same level of post release marketing blitz, which influenced the overall reach and popularity of the game being played by streamers. Streamers don't usually play a lot of no-name games that no one has ever heard of unless it is a niche streamer that specifically seeks out specific types of games. The biggest games played by streamers are played because the games are already popular and increases the potential audience because they streamer knows tons of people are already interested and playing the game.
    Brah, I think you're just out of touch. go invest in kotaku. kay.

I like Joe. I think he's great and I agree with most of his reviews. Other Joe is hilarious. I refuse to frame my conversation around any individual person.

That said, I will try to answer your question in a more generalized fashion. What would any famous youtuber be worried about losing, from their fanbase? Subscribers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    I like Joe. I think he's great and I agree with most of his reviews. Other Joe is hilarious. I refuse to frame my conversation around any individual person.

That said, I will try to answer your question in a more generalized fashion. What would any famous youtuber be worried about losing, from their fanbase? Subscribers.
    I used him as a proxy of any famous yt. There are a bunch of those who are not married to any franchise or company.
    Joe is specifically honest with his opinions. If something is shit it is shit. If he dont have time to review something, he will not review it.

They are estabilished already. Their position is pretty stable. Sure they lose some, they win some. But they get much more subs than they lose.