Amice of the Blue

I can reliably craft 4-star Amice of the Blue, but I'm 14 skill away from 5-star. I've got points allotted to max in everything but inspiration, three prof items (one enchanted), Illustrious Thread, tailor skill is 100. How do I guarantee a 5-star craft?
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

You don't. 5 star max recipies are always meant to need an inspiration proc.

For max ilvl yeah, you need inspiration.

Anything below that should be able to reach max rank without inspiration. So that depends on what ilvl you're trying to craft.

Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    You don't. 5 star max recipies are always meant to need an inspiration proc.
    Gotcha, thanks man.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    For max ilvl yeah, you need inspiration.

Anything below that should be able to reach max rank without inspiration. So that depends on what ilvl you're trying to craft.
    I'm trying to make ilvl 405, but 402 is highest I can make according to my addon (barring inspiration proc).
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

5+ Year Old Account
    Inspiration proc or Illustrious Insight

Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
    Inspiration proc or Illustrious Insight
    I have the Illustrious already. Guess I hope for a proc?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimson View Post
    Guess I hope for a proc?
    Considering it has been mentioned 4 times already, including once by yourself............

Quote Originally Posted by Throwme View Post
    Considering it has been mentioned 4 times already, including once by yourself............
    I guess I should have written it as "Guess I hope for a proc (PERIOD)," since mistakenly using a question mark caused your smartass response.

I'm trying to make ilvl 405, but 402 is highest I can make according to my addon (barring inspiration proc).
    Are you using all R3 material? Only thing I can think of, coz right now unless JC and Tailoring is drastically different when it comes to that, I can guarantee a 405 Elemental Lariat if I had all rank 3 mats with a missive and using a Insight for the extra 30.

It's different for different professions.

For instance you can guarantee 418 with insight for tailor back and leatherworking bow. You can not guarantee it for blacksmithing swords. Etc. Use craftsim to see if you can.

And then since 10.0.5 there is a nasty bug for recrafting from 405 to 418. Instead of +50 from big infusion it counts +30+50 from both infusions to decide if you can accept the work order. So while actually recrafting it counts only +50 you can't accept a R5 work order to recraft a bow even though it still will be guaranteed with insight. Sucks to explain to customers "please order R4 but I promise it'll be R5".

[update] bug was fixed in 10.0.7
    Last edited by Twdft; 2023-03-28 at 07:29 PM.

Off Topic but,
    I've seen this with some crafters I trade with. They explained like you did. Luckily, I just take them at their word and everything has worked out. The system overall has been nice to play with and I enjoy the added social aspect. Of course, Goblins gunna Goblin but you can sift through the masses and find the good from the greedy.
    On topic, as a player that hasn't delved too deeply into the profession system. I just try to find the max rank materials and always set a R4 craft. Because yeah, R5 are somewhat RNG. I haven't found a need to request or require the Insight on the crafters end. I imagine it's extremely expensive to guarantee something like that where just gathering enough materials to play the RNG game is much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimmune View Post
    I haven't found a need to request or require the Insight on the crafters end. I imagine it's extremely expensive to guarantee something like that where just gathering enough materials to play the RNG game is much cheaper.
    It's not expensive, just limited by the amount of artisans mettle you have. 50 mettle for an insight. Even though you get 150 for free every week, if you are an active crafter you burn through them fast so people gotta pay for the privilege of guarantee. RNG game for tailoring is cheap af, but it's 7 alloys for blacksmithing weapons which can get costly with bad luck.

Slightly offtopic but what sorta fees have you guys been asking for that sorta stuff?
    Like how nuch would you ask for a 418 weapon?
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    Slightly offtopic but what sorta fees have you guys been asking for that sorta stuff?
    Like how nuch would you ask for a 418 weapon?
    Highly depends on your realm, ie how many players are able to craft it. The lower the population the higher your fee can be.

As for the weapon it depends on which weapon it is. Can't guarantee 418 for swords so you're basically selling your inspiration proc with mats that are quite expensive if you have to recraft a couple times so fee would be lower. Leatherworking bow can be guaranteed so you could charge a bit more.

As for actual numbers, for bows I tell them 50k fee or 5k a pop for lottery. Got both kinds of customers, blacksmithing weapons I take 10k per recraft.

I can reliably craft 4-star Amice of the Blue, but I'm 14 skill away from 5-star. I've got points allotted to max in everything but inspiration, three prof items (one enchanted), Illustrious Thread, tailor skill is 100. How do I guarantee a 5-star craft?
    You mention illustrious thread in your post. Just to confirm, did you mean Illustrious Insight? There are multiple embroidery threads as finishing reagents, but they don't directly contribute to skill (and some increase the skill required). I've yet to encounter a recipe that I can't reliably 5-star with 3* mats and illustrious insight, though sometimes they hide necessary skill in other options (e.g. to max profession enchanting, I had to put points into Path of the Blue for the +enchanting skill nodes). Unfortunately the base UI doesn't really show what all contributes to skill, so it can be really tricky tracking down where those last skill points come from.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Highly depends on your realm, ie how many players are able to craft it. The lower the population the higher your fee can be.

As for the weapon it depends on which weapon it is. Can't guarantee 418 for swords so you're basically selling your inspiration proc with mats that are quite expensive if you have to recraft a couple times so fee would be lower. Leatherworking bow can be guaranteed so you could charge a bit more.

As for actual numbers, for bows I tell them 50k fee or 5k a pop for lottery. Got both kinds of customers, blacksmithing weapons I take 10k per recraft.
    Thanks!
    I've sorta just been blanket-feeing them at 5k, but i do occasionally get tips up to 10k and once 30k.
    I've got all the professions across my alts, so it's been a bit weird.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

To guarantee a 5-star craft, you need to increase your Tailoring skill to at least 115. You can do this by crafting other items that give skill points or by purchasing and using the appropriate materials. You can also use a "Rank 2" recipe for Amice of the Blue, which requires fewer materials and has a higher chance of giving a skill point. Additionally, you can use items or buffs that increase your crafting success chance, such as the Draenic Intellect Potion or the Tailor's Song.