Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post

But for the sake of it, lets ask ourself; In what content should a brand new player begin in? Personally I favor the good ol' cata zones, but thats besides the point.
    Ideally new players would start with a completely new storyline all the way to max level that teaches about the status quo of the world, important characters, racial, class and faction identity. Which is why we need a revamp.
    If we look at currently present storylines as odd as it sounds as a choice, I would start with Mists. Think about it, it is very easy to understand why we go there, or even relate to it. After that we spend time discovering and learning about a new culture. It is tainted by faction war yes, but I find it to still be the most relatable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post
    I don't want them to replace the game world, rather I'd like them to make a new, updated version of the main continents and let us go to them the same way new characters can choose between Exile's Reach or classic starting zones.
    At some point, the unnecessary bloat of concurrent possible storylines and the potential for bugs would just boil over.

I'd start newbies with classic.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I'd start newbies with classic.
    in terms of relating to the world and the story, yes. The actual progression of storylines would be the best. But that would be hard to transfer to the current leveling experience. UNless you are suggesting they actually play on classic servers till they learn the ropes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    in terms of relating to the world and the story, yes. The actual progression of storylines would be the best. But that would be hard to transfer to the current leveling experience. UNless you are suggesting they actually play on classic servers till they learn the ropes.
    We're I Blizz I'd want to milk a subscriber for all s/he's worth in time invested. Show a newbie why it's "classic."

Quote Originally Posted by Stickiler View Post
    That's not the new player experience. New players aren't given a choice of expansions, they're sent directly to BFA, and then on to Dragonflight. It's actually decently cohesive.
    Would be even better if they could see the max lvl war campaign.

Now it goes from "We are at war against Horde/Alliance and need new allies. Go recruit them." to "Horde and Alliance are happily working together in this expedition."

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Would be even better if they could see the max lvl war campaign. Now it goes from "We are at war against Horde/Alliance and need new allies. Go recruit them." to "Horde and Alliance are happily working together in this expedition."
    One expansion away from holding hands and singing Kum ba yah...

5+ Year Old Account
    We're I Blizz I'd want to milk a subscriber for all s/he's worth in time invested. Show a newbie why it's "classic."
    Not sure it would work as well as you hope. If the problem is how outdated the new player experience is, the solution is not to make the even more outdated versions mandatory. Some players would like it for sure, but paradigms change.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Would be even better if they could see the max lvl war campaign.

Now it goes from "We are at war against Horde/Alliance and need new allies. Go recruit them." to "Horde and Alliance are happily working together in this expedition."
    Yes. The whole thing is an incoherent mess. Which is why we need to smash the reset button. Hell, I would be willing to do it literally. The Void Lords attack Azeroth directly and absolutely decimate everything. At the last moment, the strongest spellcasters unite to send the hero back in time to the classic era to find the world a new destiny.
    Voilá, Classic era Azeroth with current levels of graphics and systems.

Ideally new players would start with a completely new storyline all the way to max level that teaches about the status quo of the world, important characters, racial, class and faction identity. Which is why we need a revamp.
    If we look at currently present storylines as odd as it sounds as a choice, I would start with Mists. Think about it, it is very easy to understand why we go there, or even relate to it. After that we spend time discovering and learning about a new culture. It is tainted by faction war yes, but I find it to still be the most relatable.

- - - Updated - - -

At some point, the unnecessary bloat of concurrent possible storylines and the potential for bugs would just boil over.
    Yes, I do agree but all of that quickly gets outdated as the game (story) continues to move forward.

What Blizzard could do, since we have chromie time, is to just sideline every xpac. Just let that be a option that in no shape or form are forced, just a place to go if you wish. While doing so, they can open up for a re-doing of the world (EK/K) that are up to par with everything. But most importantly - it lays the foundation for future storylines, lore & xpacs.

But the problem somewhat still excists - How to keep a gigantique world new & relevant when, in essence, they by default become obsolete ever couple of years.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure it would work as well as you hope. If the problem is how outdated the new player experience is, the solution is not to make the even more outdated versions mandatory. Some players would like it for sure, but paradigms change.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. The whole thing is an incoherent mess. Which is why we need to smash the reset button. Hell, I would be willing to do it literally. The Void Lords attack Azeroth directly and absolutely decimate everything. At the last moment, the strongest spellcasters unite to send the hero back in time to the classic era to find the world a new destiny.
    Voilá, Classic era Azeroth with current levels of graphics and systems.
    Yes, a big reset of everything would be nice but its been done with cata and look what happend. It gets outdated and irrelevant the second new content comes out. So if Blizz "reset" wow in 11.0, its already outdated by 12.0.

Does anyone think a reset is possible?
    Everyone is crying about their mounts and their pets etc...

But a reset would be amazing! Everyone at level 1, the world revamped...

"Outdated" was when the game was fun for most, and lore wasn't the trashfire it became.
    Regardless of the few today who grit their teeth determinedly claiming they’re having fun...dammit!, they aren't staying logged on, paying and playing for months. The new "paradigm" is playing for what, several weeks after a new expansion hits then temporarily cancel the subscription until a patch? The new "paradigm" finds old lore an inconvenience, as a result "lore" is only relevant as it pertains within that particular expansion...essentially fabricating shit on the spot. (This had me feeling the frustration...that's why I began writing notes on how the lore should be...)

Give the newbs the full tour of things were...and how it all evolved (or devolved), see how many stick it out. It should be a message to Blizz to either stay the course...or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Truthseeker11 View Post
    Does anyone think a reset is possible?
    Everyone is crying about their mounts and their pets etc...

But a reset would be amazing! Everyone at level 1, the world revamped...
    Could have a "reset" were we begin afresh but doesnt lose anything obtained. We didnt lose anything when Cata launched. We didnt lose anything when lvls got nerfed. I think most people are thinking about a "reset" when it comes to lore, story & world(s). Right now its a utter mess and literally nothing makes sense, so I get it. Only the most veteran players have somewhat of a picture of whats going on.

Problem with wow storytelling is that from classic aaaaalll the way to DF, nothing really makes sense. Each xpac tells a story, and some are somewhat connected, but in the bigger picture nothing makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Utsuko View Post
    No you don't know. Blizzard is a company that costs millions, they have entire teams dedicated to development.
    I believe that was true, up until the shit that became WoD. I mean they had like 5 people dedicated to making different kinds of snow for the WotLK cinematic. The investment and intelligence was readily apparent for all to see.

Fair point, they don't have Chrommie time. But I don't know if you realize how little people can relate to the events of BfA without all the stories before it and both the Battle of Teldrassil and the Battle of Lordaeron out of the picture.
    Doubt honestly. Wows story is not that complicated and BFA is just two nations at war. Why the war exists... well not really that important for what actually happens there.
    Good to know? Sure. But most wow players also did not play Wacraft 1 2 3 and still get what is happening.

And DF is insular anyway overall.

Curretn starter experience is the best you can do right now imho. Minus the whole balancing debacle... healing some of the dungeons was harder than a M+20 sometimes...

With a complet world overhaul you could bring the starter experience back in line. But i don't think the investemnt would be worth it for Blizzard.
    I would like it don't get me wrong. But whole world revamp for 4 hours of gameplay?
    If they make leveling take longer again imagine the bitching in the forums....

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    With a complet world overhaul you could bring the starter experience back in line. But i don't think the investemnt would be worth it for Blizzard. I would like it don't get me wrong. But whole world revamp for 4 hours of gameplay?
    The last time I checked my druid I had over 80hrs played on that toon. 67hrs on my dk...my paladin...59...

Four hours of gameplay sounds...terribly worthless.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    Yes, I do agree but all of that quickly gets outdated as the game (story) continues to move forward.

What Blizzard could do, since we have chromie time, is to just sideline every xpac. Just let that be a option that in no shape or form are forced, just a place to go if you wish. While doing so, they can open up for a re-doing of the world (EK/K) that are up to par with everything. But most importantly - it lays the foundation for future storylines, lore & xpacs.

But the problem somewhat still excists - How to keep a gigantique world new & relevant when, in essence, they by default become obsolete ever couple of years.

Sooo you'd want something like ESO where every expansion is essentially a standalone story and you can mix and match them? To the point of the exp story could be your new start if you want to?

Yes, a big reset of everything would be nice but its been done with cata and look what happend. It gets outdated and irrelevant the second new content comes out. So if Blizz "reset" wow in 11.0, its already outdated by 12.0.
    We are at the sixth expansion after Cata, currently. As far as shelf-life goes, that is pretty good. If 11.0 is a revamp, than 12.0 would be by your logic one expansion outdated. If 11.0 is not a revamp, 12.0 would be eight expansions outdated. That would be a loss.

Plus it is up for the devs if they can learn from the mistakes of Cataclysm and properly revamp the world. It certainly looks stupid how they couldn't clean up all the trash after so long a time.

- - - Updated - - -

The last time I checked my druid I had over 80hrs played on that toon. 67hrs on my dk...my paladin...59...

Four hours of gameplay sounds...terribly worthless.
    Again, that is a choice the devs make. Do they only create 4 hours' worth of content or more?

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    With a complet world overhaul you could bring the starter experience back in line. But i don't think the investemnt would be worth it for Blizzard.
    I would like it don't get me wrong. But whole world revamp for 4 hours of gameplay?
    I can only speak by myself but I also think a World Revamp for leveling would be worthless, when I talk about a Revamp I'm thinking about making only the very first zone for leveling (Mulgore/Elwynn/Dun Morogh/Eversong Woods/Durotar/Gilneas) anything else, while they still could be used for leveling like BFA zones nowadays, would be all primarily made with high/cap level in mind, with campaign quests, rares, world quests, dungeons, raids, world PVP, happening on them.

What's to say revamping the world would be exclusively for levelling up? After a revamp they could then put in long list of rotating world quests, rares, events, dragonriding stuff, etc etc.

The thought that the old world can only be for levelling is utterly retarded.
    'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayb View Post
    What's to say revamping the world would be exclusively for levelling up? After a revamp they could then put in long list of rotating world quests, rares, events, dragonriding stuff, etc etc.

I'll go one step further. The thought that leveling is just an obstacle towards the content instead of content itself, is retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Luck4 View Post
    I can only speak by myself but I also think a World Revamp for leveling would be worthless, when I talk about a Revamp I'm thinking about making only the very first zone for leveling (Mulgore/Elwynn/Dun Morogh/Eversong Woods/Durotar/Gilneas) anything else, while they still could be used for leveling like BFA zones nowadays, would be all primarily made with high/cap level in mind, with campaign quests, rares, world quests, dungeons, raids, world PVP, happening on them.
    Then you would have to close 9/10 of the world and put it in chromie time. Because that many zones at once for endgame is a bit much.
    I would like it though honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayb View Post

They need new flashy continent to justify selling an exoansion.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll go one step further. The thought that leveling is just an obstacle towards the content instead of content itself, is retarded.
    Most people play for dungeons, raids and PvP, all of which happen at max level. Levelling is just an obstacle that prevents people from doing the content they want.