Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

doom eternal vs original doom

cant find the megathread (search tool sucks on this website, cant find anthing with it)

with the release of mighty doom on mobiles i decided to come back to doom eternal that i bought 3 years ago on launch day and which i played for about 25hrs for that period of time. i simply didnt like it. theres too much platforming between levels, also strongly forcing the player to make use of it during combat, the combat itself STRONGLY revolves around quickswapping different weapons, having to keep track on your equipment cooldowns and shit, tons of enemies spawned at once in a single room. i often get blocked between demons unable to dash or jump, because theres so many of them around me.
    its just turbosperg compared to original doom. i guess everything must be super fastpaced thesedays. the faster, the better?
    inb4 'git gud' or 'its l2p issue'.

i even bought doom 1993 and doom II recently to remind myself what was fun about it. its pure joy to just run around with the heavyhitting, long range shotgun (which u dont have in modern games as all shotguns are immidiately super shortrange). run and gun, but at a reasonable speed. peeking if needed, shooting, moving on. its fucking simple yet enjoyable, instead of often breaking the pace of the game with some puzzles and REALLY chaotic battles in eternal.

how does eternal compare to doom 2016? is 2016 closer to original or still eternal in terms of combat and level design?

also u can link your favorite YT guides teaching the proper use of equipment in eternal
    Last edited by Proskill; 2023-03-31 at 12:21 PM.
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate to be that guy, but I really have to remind you to git gud.

My advice is to play it on a lower difficulty setting and as you get use to the controls, increase it or just replay the game again.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

I prefer Doom 2016 over Eternal.
    Its slower, darker and less jumping around.
    You dont need to switch weapon all the time and time your flamer, bloodpunch and grenades.
    Its just give me the Supershootgun with upgrades and the Railgun and lets go.

Doom 2016 may have been a great game, but it's worse in every way than Doom Eternal. Eternal pretty much took all the good of 2016 and made it better.

Also this whole thread is very genuinely a skill issue. You tried to play in higher difficulties without having the skill required and that's entirely on you. Try again in the lowest difficulty this time

Also, quickswapping is entirely unnecessary in Doom Eternal and I'd even argue it makes the game less fun as it just turns into killing monsters as fast as possible before they can even become an issue, I find the game way more fun when you try to instead use weapons as tools adapted to certain situations each instead of quickswapping the SSG/rocket launcher/ballista on everything to kill them in 2 seconds. You absolutely don't need to quickswap even in Ultra-Nightmare if you don't want to, unless you're looking for a crutch
    Last edited by ONCHEhap; 2023-03-31 at 02:04 PM.

Honestly, I never got into Doom Eternal, but reading your thread is making me interested. Almost sounds like Destiny 2 gameplay(the best, but also can be quite challenging and is very movement/cooldown/proc based) baked into a really cool narrative story. I'm interested, lol.

Doom Eternal has an absolutely different gameplay style than the original Doom. The weapon swapping/skills management shit is definitely a learning curve but here's my advice:

Play it on super easy mode. I don't have time to play games anymore so when I do I absolutely do not want to bash my head into something that is ridiculously challenging. When set to easy mode, it is the run & gun us old timers remember from the Floppy Disk Days with a few actual challenging parts.

Games are meant to be entertainment. It's not entertaining to spend your free time getting pissed off at a game you payed for.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    Honestly, I never got into Doom Eternal, but reading your thread is making me interested. Almost sounds like Destiny 2 gameplay(the best, but also can be quite challenging and is very movement/cooldown/proc based) baked into a really cool narrative story. I'm interested, lol.
    You are talking to an OP who has invested money to Axie Infinity and lost it, invested money and wants to invest money more on Star citizen so imo take with a grain of salt anything they mention as their gaming reality is warped all together and that's just a few examples.

On topic though. Doom eternal is the better game and can be fun, however to me it feels at times they tried to be Painkiller with the amount of enemies it has.

A huge complain for the PC version is Denuvo that if you don't have a strong PC you will "feel" it.

Add as well the annoyance even on medium difficulty with bullets being scarce, the mods that you put in guns need to be accurate for what is coming next we can agree it might upset people who don't know enemies etc.

The DLC as well have a ruthless difficulty for admittedly new or at least not used to chaos FPS players.

If you love gore you will enjoy the game as it has plenty and soundtrack is top notch

Eternal and 2016 are different game designs. The former isn't trying to be the latter. The developers already did 2016 and did something different in Eternal. By wide consideration, both designs are thought to be excellent.

Also, it's worth noting that the new Doom games are much closer to Quake in gameplay than Doom anyway. It's going to be hard to replicate Doom with true verticality as that game had next to none of that

10+ Year Old Account
    While I liked Doom Eternal, I also found juggling the million little things in it to just be frustrating. So I just reduced difficulty enough, that you can get by without toggling your grenades back and forth, or without having to do that ridiculous quickswapping bullshit. All this micro-bollocks feels like it's tagged-on as an additional challenge for the player to manage, rather than something that serves the gameplay of "shoot demon in the face" in any meaningful manner.

I didn't mind the platforming at all, though. I kinda liked it, and I think they made it work rather well. It's quick and keeping something of a minimap in your brain to keep track of all the altitudes, jump pads and monster positions is a challenge I was more than okay with. Keeping a good track of your surroundings. That's the bread and butter skill-check of any good fast-paced FPS games.

As for the original Doom, I still play that. It still has fuckton of content being made, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Doom Eternal is 2016 but amped up even more.
    So if you want the game to slow down a bit 2016 might be your jam.
    I personally agree Eternal is having too much stuff going on even though I still enjoyed it.

Doom 2016 is still focused on movement but you don't have the same amount as in Eternal. And swapping is less of a requirement as I remember it. Learning enemies weakpoints and weapons against them and swapping accordingly is usually enough on highest difficulty in 2016, as well as always be on the move. But in Eternal you require more hectic use of swapping and usage of equipment.

Imo 2016 is tighter and better experience overall, while Eternal has more things going on.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I found the gameplay loop of Doom Eternal to be tedious and not so fun. I beat it, sure, but I didn't enjoy it enough to want to keep playing. Doom 2016 felt more enjoyable, but I still like classic Doom because even the original maps have some really quirky design choices that make them difficult but fun, and then you have custom WADs like Sunder by Insane Gazebo or Sunlust which offer extremely difficult fights. Doom Eternal also really lacked monster infighting, something the original games were known for but didn't utilize as much as WADs do.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm am arena shooter adrenaline junkie, playing Unreal, Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Quake 3 with the boys since I was a little kid. Naturally, Doom Eternal was like a gift from the heavens for me.

Your mind eventually adapts to Eternal's gameplay, you become accustomed to the frantic and adrenaline fueled movement and shooting. People are talking about weapon switching but it's honestly not that important at first. You first have to get used to moving a lot and spazzing your sights around.

This guy explains it well.

I will also recommend Ultra kill for Doom or arena shooter fans, it is still in beta and only 2 out of 3 parts are out, but it already has the status of one of FPS' all time greats.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2023-03-31 at 04:18 PM.

Eternal was a necessary Iteration on the Franchise, another '16 would have stalled and killed the franchise. Although the point of reference for '16 is rather quake than classic doom.

There are enough great boomer shooters like Prodeus if you prefer the "classic" gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I found the gameplay loop of Doom Eternal to be tedious and not so fun. I beat it, sure, but I didn't enjoy it enough to want to keep playing. Doom 2016 felt more enjoyable, but I still like classic Doom because even the original maps have some really quirky design choices that make them difficult but fun, and then you have custom WADs like Sunder by Insane Gazebo or Sunlust which offer extremely difficult fights. Doom Eternal also really lacked monster infighting, something the original games were known for but didn't utilize as much as WADs do.
    Yeah, my experience is that I've replayed DOOM 2016 all the way through on all difficulties tons of times (even done pistol-only runs)... and I don't think I've beaten the game all the way through once for DOOM Eternal. It's not because DOOM Eternal is necessarily hard, but it's either boring or annoying compared to its predecessor to where I just don't have the desire to finish the last zone.

Doesn't mean that DOOM Eternal doesn't have positives or is overall bad (heck, who doesn't love grappling with a double-barrel shotgun?), but DOOM Eternal went way too far into gimmicks and making things bullet sponges unless you fast-cycle through a bunch of weapons to where you almost just want to macro the sequence. Sometimes you just have a favorite weapon and just want to stick with it even if it's not optimal but because it's fun, but Eternal heavily punishes you if you don't play the weapon swap game. Keep in mind, this is coming from someone who loves doing pistol-only runs of DOOM 2016 because it's challenging and requires more effort, but there's a difference between self-imposed restriction challenges and mandated restriction challenges that can suck the fun out of combat. Sure, you could do fast weapon cycling in DOOM 2016, but it didn't feel required at all, even on the harder difficulties. As a related comment, I really didn't like the implementation of the chainsaw in Eternal at all in relation to the ammo/armor replenishment, especially since it killed pistol-only runs as an option. While I can respect the grenades and flame throwing mechanics, they still felt more like gimmicks with how they were implemented, especially in light of weapon swap sequencing to kill annoying monsters.

While some aspects of the zones are visually nice in Eternal, quite often it boils down to areas just being arenas. Part of what made the original Doom (or even Quake) and Doom 2016 nice was that it wasn't just arenas strung together, it felt more like you were actually in a location where the danger could be anywhere, not just the obvious-looking arena area where you could almost replace the non-arena areas as loading screens for the next arena. Doesn't mean you can't have arenas, but the proportion of arenas to non-arena areas is waaaaaay too skewed towards arenas in Eternal. DOOM 2016 also nailed the atmospheric horror and tension ebbs-and-flows way better and more organically than Eternal, as well.

I suppose I could touch on the narrative and storytelling aspects? While it's a subjective thing, sometimes it's better to keep things vague and not do a lore deep-dive. What DOOM 2016 had going for it was that there was an underlying meta story if you wanted it, but it sort of was secondary to your goal upon which they occasionally coincided. The intentionally ironic part is that the main character didn't really give a damn about it, more determined to blast his way through everything. Eternal felt a bit in-your-face with the story, and while I'm not expecting a master narrative for a Doom game (despite my soft spot for poor Daisy, my pet rabbit), I feel like the Eternal narrative was just trying way too hard to make massive lore expositions to the foreground.

While I never bought or played the Eternal expansions, I've heard they're basically a lot more of the aspects of Eternal I don't like... and the large amount of negative comments/reviews of the expansions seem to indicate lots of people don't like them either. Again, Eternal isn't a bad game (again, grappling hook double-barrel shotgun!!!!!), but imho Doom 2016 is the vastly superior game overall.
    Last edited by exochaft; 2023-03-31 at 05:21 PM.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

While I get the people who can't into it, Eternal is my favorite FPS and one of my favorite games of all time. I can't get enough of its gameplay and have never beaten a game so many times, despite it releasing in 2020.

2016 has the edge in terms of atmosphere- some levels like Lazarus Labs are terrific- but otherwise Eternal is just better to me.

As for weapon swapping, it's hardly required. I'm completed the game on Extra Lives/Nightmare (Ultra-Nightmare is just too hard) and I only quickswap vs the Marauder really. Against everything else just knowing what weapon works best is more than enough.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Doom Eternal just dialled the franticness up to 11. For some people that is amazing, for others its to much.
    If you played Eternal and thought it was to much I would for sure give 2016 a try.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

I haven't played the newer dooms but what the modding community has done to original doom is pretty awesome, brutal doom or project brutality has features from modern fps games. the modern clients support mouse aiming and actual 3d environments rather than the fake 3d the game used to use.

the modded versions of classic doom are still great fun, they incorporated a bunch of features from other games of that era, like duke 3d. there are a lot of different sprite variations, poses etc. executions, placeable equipment like turrets, etc etc

if you haven't tried brutal doom or project brutality I would highly recommend both mods they have some differences but all you need to play them is the old doom wad files. and GZdoom or Zandronum. I think I prefer brutality just because its bigger and has more variation, but brutal doom is still decent if more light weight.

doom to me will probably always be sprite based its what gave it that charm. kinda like maplestory. the charm is the way that it is.

I have a few links if you wanna save time googling, 1, Gzdoom, 2 Brutality (save, rename to pk3) 3 brutal doom 4 HUD, 5 high res textures. you can multi select these pk3s and just drag them all onto the gzdoom exe and away you go (pick between brutality and brutal doom brutality is a fork of brutal doom so its one or the other), the only thing you have to have is one of the original doom .wad files, it can be any doom 1 2, final, tnt, plutonium, even freedoom works.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2023-04-04 at 09:36 PM.