Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Serpent View Post
    There's a really fucking easy analogy to make here to make it clear how insane your position is.

Discarding votes for Republicans, or some percentage of votes for Republicans, would provably save lives and improve lives for the overwhelming majority of Americans, because discarding some portion of Republican votes would mean more Democrats get elected, and we can clearly see that the policies and actions undertaken by Democrats in the past 20 or so years have significantly improved and preserve the safety and health of the American people. So it's okay to constrain the right to vote for those folks, right? Because it would save the lives of children. We'd get gun control passed through Congress if not for the Republicans, right? See also: COVID.

Or how about:

Dissemination of misinformation and conspiracy theories among far-right groups has been materially shown to result in harm to others and encourages violence against others. The right to free speech for people attempting to disseminate or promote such information/groups should be constrained, as this will make our country safer.

Or how about:

There is a very clear line connecting Evangelism (or Catholicism, whichever you prefer) with child molestation and abuse. Because of this strong, repeatedly displayed link, we should monitor the communications and activities of members of the clergy of these religious institutions, in order to preserve the safety of our children.

I get it. You don't believe gun ownership is a right. Frankly, neither do I. But until such time as the Second Amendment is removed or amended in such a way that it is explicitly a communal/not-individual right, it is a Constitutionally protected right, no different from our First or Fourth Amendment rights and it must be treated as such.

"We will only slightly trample on your Constitutionally protected right, instead of completely remove it!" is not a compromise in any way, shape, or form. Generally speaking, you have to have committed a crime or have done some other carefully and explicitly described action in order to justify having your rights limited. What you are suggesting is a restriction on the rights of every person in the United States, and then trying to call it a compromise.

You're spending too much time enjoying your own supply, man.
    There is a difference between guns and the three things that you are listing. The problems with what you listed are a bug, not a feature. Republicans can in the past be reasonable. It is just the current ilk that are not. And we can fight disinformation with proving the accurate information. And not all Evangelists or Catholics are abusers and therefore not a valid reason to take down the religions (even though as an atheist, I wish organized religion wasn't a thing).

Guns purpose is to kill, that what they exist for. The target shooting isn't the main purpose of a gun, but a side one.

Also, yes, it is still a comprise. All your rights ARE limited. You cannot vote outside of where your state dictates you are can vote. You cannot vote in a manner your state has not authorized. When I lived in my home town my voting place was a CHURCH and a church is too small of a parking lot to handle the entire district, it fit 40 cars at most and I live in a Blue State. I couldn't go to the Town Hall to vote, because that was a different district's voting place.

You cannot go into a public school and preach to kids without authorization and the town allowing other groups to do as well. You don't have a right to say an opinion unchallenged. Every right has limitation so the argument that the 2nd can't is showing that YOU aren't the one willing to compromise and projecting that fault onto the other side.

If I want guns banned, and I settle for less, that is called compromising. That side is compromising. You refusing to accept the compromise is YOU not compromising from YOUR position. You are saying "Gun control nuts" don't want compromise because you aren't willing to compromise and recognize every right you have has limitations and responsibilities.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreak...ve_had_enough/

rofl, look how terrified these losers are of unarmed zoomers

good thing he's got armed law enforcement to protect him from all those unarmed zoomers

I feel like time and demographics will not be kind to the gun extremist crowd

Bloodsail Admiral
    1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Assuming this is true...this is a better argument for stronger gun control than it is against stronger gun control.
    Yes, it is. I don't know if you've seen it, things have been moving fast lately, but I completely agreed with Endus' "stronger than what Canada has" gun control wants. The only thing I objected to was his stance on the use of lethal force in self-defense, everything else I agreed to. I don't give credit to the "muh resisting tyranny" crap that gun nuts like to spout, especially not when those same gun nuts were falling over themselves to lift up and defend a wannabe tyrant instead of shooting the stupid fuck. Guns are for hunting, for sport, and for self-defense. They should be regulated, and as long as it's in a "shall issue" form, I don't have a particular issue with the idea of having to obtain a gun license - pass the checks and you are guaranteed to be issued a license.

It doesn't matter if I agree with it or not, though. Gun control is not going to happen in this country, not anytime soon. Y'all can pretend that pointing out America's sick, cancerous gun culture is "dodging the question", but it's not. It's y'all refusing to accept reality.

You want to do something about all the gun violence in this fucked up country? Well, the first step is electing Democrats, and that requires those stupid fucks to shut the fuck up about the guns, because they will never win contested elections if they have gun control on their plank. The second step is identifying the non-gun causes of these crimes and suicides, and seeing what we can do about them from the all-but-the-guns angle. There's room for improvement in our gun laws, and once we vote enough Republicans out of office, we can look into taking action in that direction - but frankly, I think fixing our enforcement of existing laws is a higher priority than writing new ones that aren't likely to be any better-enforced.

FWIW, I am also going to want to hold off on adding more restrictions to gun ownership until we do something about our fucked up law enforcement in this country. Break up the police unions, reform policing and emergency response services in general, and then I'll probably be more willing to consider the idea of disarming BIPOC and LGBTQ folks.
    Last edited by Grinning Serpent; 2023-03-31 at 06:35 PM.

It doesn't matter if I agree with it or not, though. Gun control is not going to happen in this country, not anytime soon.
    There already is Gun Control in your country.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Should we also point out that the "right to bear arms" is also already categorically not an inalienable right, in the United States? Neither is voting, for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Should we also point out that the "right to bear arms" is also already categorically not an inalienable right, in the United States? Neither is voting, for that matter.
    I mean, we shouldn't have to... but it seems that a ton of people never got that memo.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Bloodsail Admiral
    1+ Year Old Account
    Christ, dude. Are you really such a pedant? You really have nothing better to do with your time? We already have gun control in the country? Cool, then why are you whining for it? We already have it, right?

You and I both know we're talking about "commonsense gun control" like Democrats and Bloomberg keep yelling about, so please just fuck off if you're going to waste everyone's time like this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreak...ve_had_enough/

rofl, look how terrified these losers are of unarmed zoomers

good thing he's got armed law enforcement to protect him from all those unarmed zoomers

I feel like time and demographics will not be kind to the gun extremist crowd
    It's not going to be kind to conservatives, in general. Zoomers are growing up in an era where the failings and injustices of our system are impossible to ignore and impossible to hide, because it's all on camera. Most of them are only just now beginning to reach age of majority.

If the Democratic Party has the sense god gave a fucking squirrel, they'd drop everything and focus heavily on getting the zoomers out to vote. But Democrats and "functioning brains" have never really mixed, in my experience. Maybe it's because they are still, ultimately, corporate-owned politicians and their corporate masters are telling them no?

It's too bad we can't just, like, vote Citizens United into the dirt. I guess the only roundabout way of doing that would be electing enough Democrats that are interested in stacking the courts and hoping that the SCOTUS decides to investigate CU during that time?

Christ, dude. Are you really such a pedant? You really have nothing better to do with your time? We already have gun control in the country? Cool, then why are you whining for it? We already have it, right?

You and I both know we're talking about "commonsense gun control" like Democrats and Bloomberg keep yelling about, so please just fuck off if you're going to waste everyone's time like this.
    All I am saying is that there are already restrictions on the kinds of arms you can bear. There have ben other restrictions that no longer apply...but certainly could again. Like the infamous Federal Assault Weapon Ban from 1994-2004.

15+ Year Old Account
    America isn't Australia. America isn't Canada, or Britain, or Norway, or any other nation on Earth. We're not the same. Why do you keep using information from other countries as though it applies here?

It doesn't.
    "Gun control that works literally everywhere else on earth won't work here. Why? Reasons."

More deflection and excuses from the dead children camp.

This is a never a good argument, never has been, and when pressed to give actual reason or evidence behind this, it's always "America is different than those places because we're different!"

We have an entire generation of children growing up going through active shooter drills in schools. Do you know how many kids are traumatized by hurricane or fire drills to be scared of those things precisely because it's likely it will happen to them?

Children growing up in a world where they see the news and wonder if they'll be the next statistic in an ever growing pile of dead children is going to be the perfect gun control in the next 20 years. Gun nuts and their absolutist "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" ideology is going to ultimately shoot them in the foot (pun intended) as if they'd just put some good gun control in place, they won't get what's coming to them. But within 10 years, those kids growing up through active shooter drills will start voting. In 20 years, some of them will be running for office, and in 30-40 years many of them will be running for higher office.

If the second amendment gets ratfucked by a generation that grew up fearing guns, Republicans will only have themselves to blame.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

You want to do something about all the gun violence in this fucked up country? Well, the first step is electing Democrats, and that requires those stupid fucks to shut the fuck up about the guns, because they will never win contested elections if they have gun control on their plank. The second step is identifying the non-gun causes of these crimes and suicides, and seeing what we can do about them from the all-but-the-guns angle. There's room for improvement in our gun laws, and once we vote enough Republicans out of office, we can look into taking action in that direction - but frankly, I think fixing our enforcement of existing laws is a higher priority than writing new ones that aren't likely to be any better-enforced.
    I have no horse in this race but I wanted to comment on this because it's something that I see a lot of liberals say and it plain infuriates me. We cannot improve as a society with compromise. We cannot become a better people collectively by giving concessions. Being a centrist is the worst possible thing you can do to yourself. "Both sides are bad" is a completely impotent position to have and we are only ever going to improve by being completely forthcoming and honest with our politics. Maybe it's unpopular. Maybe it loses elections. But trying to appease people who have no interest in actually improving the world we live in is, imo, worse than doing nothing at all.
    Last edited by Relapses; 2023-04-02 at 02:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Many countries do pretty fine without the bipartisan system. More parties making a coalition to for a government. Coalition means giving concessions.

https://twitter.com/FOXNashville/sta...60016268492801

rofl, this fuckin death cult is unreal

point out that nobody walking down the street with a gun, especially a "big gun", is carrying that gun to "do good" and that they present a serious possible threat to every person in public

which the fuckin idiot acknowledges

this is just more bad faith "BaNnINg GuNs WOnT SolVE AnyTHInG" which is like still the dishonest as fuck take from the death cult that seems to be perfectly happy letting as many children who aren't theirs die so that they can feel safe in their right to carry weapons around in public because that's a thing that developed, civil societies do

homeboy makes a compelling case to ban guns though. he doesn't realize he's doing it, but damn does he do it

Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    Many countries do pretty fine without the bipartisan system. More parties making a coalition to for a government. Coalition means giving concessions.
    If we're forced to govern ourselves then concessions in a multi-factional representative government is much preferred to whatever bumfuckery America has today. Give me that plus ranked choice voting and I'd die a happy man.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...s/70053945007/

Covenant School employee on 911 call says school staff members carried guns

A person calling 911 from under a desk inside The Covenant School during Monday's shooting told police dispatch that the school had staff that carried firearms.

"We do have a school person, or two ... I'm not sure ... who would be packing, whose job it is for security," the woman said. "We don't have security guards, but we have staff."

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

But...good guy with gun stop bad guy with gun? y no work?

Teen suspected of planning to ‘shoot up’ multiple Colorado Springs area schools and churches arrested

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (KKTV) - A teenager is suspected of planning to “shoot up” multiple schools in Colorado Springs.

According to a news release issued by the 18th Judicial District Attorney’s Office on Thursday, a teen named William Whitworth who identified as “Lily” was charged with two counts of criminal attempt to commit murder in the first degree, criminal mischief, menacing and interference with staff, faculty or students of educational institutions.

The DA’s office included the arrest papers which can be read at the bottom of this article. According to the arrest papers, a family member of the suspect called authorities claiming their sister “threatened to shoot up a school.” Authorities went to 13915 Double Tree Ranch Circle in Elbert County on March 31. The suspect was found sleeping in her room.
    Good thing the family member spoke up, and he could be stopped before creating another Nashville situation. This dude must've been very troubled. Kind of an alarming trend in certain social circles lately.
    Last edited by PickleballAce; 2023-04-06 at 11:58 PM.

Seeing some of the coverage on conservative outlets on this already makes me want to vomit. We all know exactly what they're focusing on and exactly how dishonest it is.

Some folks will just do anything and everything to ignore reality.

Some folks will just do anything and everything to ignore reality.
    Quoted for truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Rethul Ur No View Post
    Quoted for truth.
    Big fucking yikes.

But...good guy with gun stop bad guy with gun? y no work?
    It did, how did this end?

Which is it today? Are cops good or bad?