Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    Sorry if I’m nitpicking, but isn’t it Jarlthon? Just wondering if I misheard it the entire time lol.
    It's Jarnathan.

I think I like vox machina more than this movie, I think its because I've had time for the characters to grow on me, where as that didn't really happen for me in a 2hr movie. I didn't dislike any of the characters, they just didn't have time to grow on me.

I haven't had chance to play any table top, I don't have enough ppl nearby who would be willing to play, I doubt I could even get a game of magic going. the joys of living in the middle of nowhere. I have played a bunch of D&D games though. like probably all of them. you tend to care more about the characters the longer they are around the more you learn about them. the movie was pretty condensed. trying to remember if some of the characters had many lines, did the tiefling girl have more than a page of dialogue? or more than a couple paragraphs. I guess thats the issue with something like this you have 4-6 party members each getting 20 minutes of screen time each, barely enough to learn much about them, then its over.

it seems like its doing well so maybe it'll get a sequel.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2023-04-10 at 02:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    It's Jarnathan.
    Yep, you’re right. Don’t know why I was thinking there was an L.

finally watched it today. for the most part I liked it a lot, but there was one thing that really fucking bugged me AND my SO

so you are trying to tell me that everyone else in the party, including emerald enclave druid has heard about Xenk, but a harper - an actual spy whose job it was to HEAR AND COLLECT information... didn't know who he was?? or that Thayan's mark their gold? I understand what they were going for as far as Elgin's growth as far as learning to let go of some of his prejudice AND admitting his fuckups out loud, but they literally show us that he was spying, successfully for quite some time and yet, didn't know who essentially a local celebrity was? they could have still hit both of the story bits even with Elgin, for instance having heard of Xenk, but dismissing any good he might have done as misunderstandings, ulterior motives etc, he could have said that he stole gold despite knowing that thayans mark it. it would have hit all of the story bits, without undermining his background

aside from that, didn't mind adjustments to spell, kinda side eyed lack of limitations to wildshape, but eh.

I had fun, I wasn't bored once and I tent to have short attention span and I kinda want to make Doric's costume now :P

I saw the new D&D movie. It was okay.

First, I didn't really like the visual look of the film. The movie looked very dark, very dim. It was hard to make out detail at points. It also had a desaturated look. Not a fan of the color grading. Also not a fan of the aesthetics. The movie has an overall cheap artstation look. Also, it is 2023, and yet the creatures still look like fake, weightless 3D CGI models rather than the life-like believeable fantasy races and creatures in LotR or Narnia or Avatar or the Orcs from the Warcraft movie. A lot of the environments also looked fake too. The movie didn't look awful but it just didn't look very visually pleasing to me, which is a big F for a fantasy film.

Soundtrack was also completely forgettable.

The actual moment to moment story is okay enough, though I got bored enough at one point to get out of my chair and go to the bathroom. The story point with the daughter was rather irritating. The red witch villain was a nothing character so the finale was not compelling, also felt too much like a capeshit fight. I did not like the mage or the druid.

The dragon's weight causing the hanging platform to unbalance was neat. The colisseum setpiece where the layers of blocks are slowly being removed and they dive into the gel was also neat.

Wouldn't rewatch.

10+ Year Old Account
    I saw the movie last weekend, and I must say I had quite a good amount of fun. As a movie, in and of itself, it's a pretty decent popcorn flick. Sure, it's far from a masterpiece, and the plot may be a tad predictable at some points, but I liked the storytelling and worldbuilding.

I honestly did love the cameos. Seeing characters dressed in the exact same outfit as the characters from the old D&D cartoon back in the 80's had me quite, quite amused, and also I'm can't be certain about this, but I'm fairly certain the multiple mentions of "the smell of fresh cut grass" might be a reference to Critical Role's current campaign.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I saw the new D&D movie. It was okay.

First, I didn't really like the visual look of the film. The movie looked very dark, very dim. It was hard to make out detail at points. It also had a desaturated look. Not a fan of the color grading. Also not a fan of the aesthetics. The movie has an overall cheap artstation look. Also, it is 2023, and yet the creatures still look like fake, weightless 3D CGI models rather than the life-like believeable fantasy races and creatures in LotR or Narnia or Avatar or the Orcs from the Warcraft movie. A lot of the environments also looked fake too. The movie didn't look awful but it just didn't look very visually pleasing to me, which is a big F for a fantasy film.

Soundtrack was also completely forgettable.

The actual moment to moment story is okay enough, though I got bored enough at one point to get out of my chair and go to the bathroom. The story point with the daughter was rather irritating. The red witch villain was a nothing character so the finale was not compelling, also felt too much like a capeshit fight. I did not like the mage or the druid.

The dragon's weight causing the hanging platform to unbalance was neat. The colisseum setpiece where the layers of blocks are slowly being removed and they dive into the gel was also neat.

Wouldn't rewatch.
    What creatures are you talking about? Like all of the humanoid races (minus the Yian-ti) were done with practical effects.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    I'm can't be certain about this, but I'm fairly certain the multiple mentions of "the smell of fresh cut grass" might be a reference to Critical Role's current campaign.
    I think both the jokes in the movie and Sam's character name in CR are more about memeing about the same joke (cantrips being what they are), rather than the movie referencing CR.

Oh man, Sam's joke about the name of FCG's cohorts was.....incredible.

7+ Year Old Account
    Ok, the movie was really good. Good action, surprisingly great humor w/o any obnoxious elements/characters and even some properly poignant moments. Very limited exposition was also a positive. Great overall fun, and I hope they will make more of these. Potentially questionable stuff, like MacGuffin TP wand and Holgas instant resurrection didn't bother me at all (since it was not a one-and-done and they kept using it for the rest of the movie and since it meant Edgins wife will stay dead). Was a little surprised the paladin didn't stick around. Probably was a little too high lvl for the quest The one issue I found was an excessive spamming of names of people/spells/places. New audience may get confused a little.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2023-04-16 at 07:28 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Was a little surprised the paladin didn't stick around. Probably was a little too high lvl for the quest
    Thats because he was a DMPC, the dm character, its supposed to help a little the party as a sort of narrative driving character, but he does not stay for the final because its the party fight.

Fast PVOD release on this one. Available May 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    ‘Dungeons & Dragons’ Series at Paramount+ Adds Drew Crevello as Showrunner

I'm always open to more D&D. A shorter episode count will hopefully mean a contained story, with coherent links to go into a S2.
    If it can capture the spirit and fun of D&D like the movie did I'd love this.