Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    While she didn't technically write it, she was the creative lead for it and has playwright credit for it.

I agree it is shit, but don't pretend that shit didn't come from Rowling.
    She was not the one who made it, it was another guy Jack with another dude, she was part of it, but it was not her thing like the older books.

There is no way to know how much hand she had on it, but i read before it was minimal, which makes sense because it have nothing to do with the story she did anyway. like bringing back the devices that turn back time, when she was the one who destroyed all of then because of how problematic it was to the story

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thestrawman View Post
    Yes. JKR said she was black around the same time JKR made Dumbledore gay.
    Pretty sure she just said they could be any race and it wasn’t important because a play cast a black woman to play her and shitty people were throwing a shit fit.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    Pretty sure that the internet mob mentality cares a lot more about this than anyone else, including Rowling and Watson et al.
    Not only that, but it's a bit silly to think that they'd even be able to screen for that while casting new actors, especially with kids who could very well disagree with those same views as they grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed it’s pretty weird and confusing to have two versions of the same thing. It’s not like the movies are dated. Most of the audience has ready access to the original movies streaming.
    Tbh, I think the movies & books probably bring in new fans every year. They still hold up great.

Then again, remake it and make millions.. why not right?

Thing is - The books were great, the movies good. Same with LOTR; Book was great, movies was good. Both still holds up to this day. Which begs the question - should it even be touched? Something that once was made so good, shouldnt it be left alone?

Im all for new stories to be told in these universes, but I want progress. I want new stuff. Whats been told has been told and in a good way.

These lazy ass bastards could at the very least create something new instead of chippin off the success of others.

Whoever the producers are, can create a shitshow series and it wouldnt even matter. Allthough, Rings of power did tank..

Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    Im all for new stories to be told in these universes, but I want progress. I want new stuff. Whats been told has been told and in a good way.
    I mean, maybe they'll put a new spin on it but I doubt it as the article I read said it would be a "faithful adaptation" of the books.

I agree though, I think it would have been a FAR better idea if the series was about a set of characters born a generation or two before or after HP. Hell, even Harry's kids or something. It would have been a far more interesting premise.

maybe just read the books, you will see the chars as the actors anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Of course she would be an executive, its her IP.
    You'd be surprised how many authors can't have any say in what happens when their works get adapted. Wasn't think a change in how contracts are made specifically because how much authority JK has over how WB creates the movies?

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    10 years? I don't think any book would require 2 seasons. And 1 season per year would be perfect. Maybe they just rounded number to 10 in case something like Covid happen in next 10 years and force delay.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    10 years? I don't think any book would require 2 seasons. And 1 season per year would be perfect. Maybe they just rounded number to 10 in case something like Covid happen in next 10 years and force delay.
    18 months per season is much safer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    Considering the (potential) scope of something like Hogwarts and the Wizarding World, there's really no point in rushing it. A problem you'd run into with a production that lasts that long is the kids aging out. Which doesn't really matter as people in their mid-20s playing high-schoolers isn't exactly unheard of.

Instead of exploring more of that beautiful world they reboot the movies as a show. What a waste. I hope the show is gonna retired after 1-2 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by saixilein View Post
    Instead of exploring more of that beautiful world they reboot the movies as a show. What a waste.
    After the Fantastic Beasts debacle, they probably just want to stick to something safe.

It's a shame, because Newt as a character deserved better (and more fun) movies than he got. The best part of those were when he was actually doing the...you know..."fantastic beasts" stuff, and not the dreary wizard's war nonsense.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2023-04-15 at 05:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Considering the (potential) scope of something like Hogwarts and the Wizarding World, there's really no point in rushing it.
    "Potential" being the key word here, which I honestly don't think Rowling has the literary chops to spin into something worth 10 years of TV. I mean, lets be honest, the "Wizarding World of Harry potter" is barely above average in terms of various other Magic Society based literary IPs I can think of, and would need a hell of a lot of work to elevate it above being barely coherent young-adult level junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    "Potential" being the key word here, which I honestly don't think Rowling has the literary chops to spin into something worth 10 years of TV.
    Thing is, a ton of stuff gets cut from books even as relatively basic as the Potter series when making the jump from page to screen. While I don't know if there's enough material in the first few books to span an entire season of a show (even their audiobook versions are only like ~10 hours long), there's plenty in the back half of the series to make up for it. Rowling isn't some spectacular author by any means, but I was more talking about the spectacle of the thing rather than purely just the words on a page.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There would be no problem if they milk it in a good way, look at the game, fun and without much a pretense of a story, and worked.

People doing star wars actively did to kill and bury the past and build something on the ashes, their own thing. As long they do this, it can work.

But i do agree to let the characters alone, the game did so well bringing up new blood, even within the same families.
    Indeed. Honestly, when I hear "Star Wars", my first thoughts are ..."lol". The thing is a joke by now.

The HP game has cought everyone by surprise, because we are so used to half baked, full of bugs games releasing at 30% higher price than 10 years ago and then filled with microtransactions to make up for hte missing content... So suddenly we get a HP game which is... fully finished.. polished... hard to believe even when you are playing it.

The same goes for all the Netflix,HBO, etc... we are getting sold so many shows, coming out so fast.. it´s eventually going to go down the same way. They will find a way to make you pay for extra content which is now still base content and people will pay. I believe we are in the initialstages towards it... give people a lot and suddenly ask for more money.

So all that said, I do think that this one might still be decent and free of that. But I am betting a lot that this is the same future for shows, microtransactions and "extra" content.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    You'd be surprised how many authors can't have any say in what happens when their works get adapted. Wasn't think a change in how contracts are made specifically because how much authority JK has over how WB creates the movies?
    No i know some, if not most authors can't, but she is one of the ones that does have, of course she would be part of it, she did the same for fantastical beasts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    Indeed. Honestly, when I hear "Star Wars", my first thoughts are ..."lol". The thing is a joke by now.

The HP game has cought everyone by surprise, because we are so used to half baked, full of bugs games releasing at 30% higher price than 10 years ago and then filled with microtransactions to make up for hte missing content... So suddenly we get a HP game which is... fully finished.. polished... hard to believe even when you are playing it.

The same goes for all the Netflix,HBO, etc... we are getting sold so many shows, coming out so fast.. it´s eventually going to go down the same way. They will find a way to make you pay for extra content which is now still base content and people will pay. I believe we are in the initialstages towards it... give people a lot and suddenly ask for more money.

So all that said, I do think that this one might still be decent and free of that. But I am betting a lot that this is the same future for shows, microtransactions and "extra" content.
    i think they be fucked if they went for that route, they will probably start something good instead

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    After the Fantastic Beasts debacle, they probably just want to stick to something safe.

It's a shame, because Newt as a character deserved better (and more fun) movies than he got. The best part of those were when he was actually doing the...you know..."fantastic beasts" stuff, and not the dreary wizard's war nonsense.
    Part of beasts issues is not that it was adult or didn't involve Hogwarts, but all the unfamiliarity, Fantastic beasts should have come after a sequence of movies that continue the story after the books, and it didn't need 3-4 movies, just 1.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Part of beasts issues is not that it was adult or didn't involve Hogwarts, but all the unfamiliarity, Fantastic beasts should have come after a sequence of movies that continue the story after the books, and it didn't need 3-4 movies, just 1.

It was not rly the unfamiliarity, its just that they messed up shit.

The title did not line with the storyline they wanted to tell, Newt had fuck to do with Dumbledore x Grindewald, the plot was too convoluted with Erza character and the "dumbledore secret" that took away from the "fantastical beasts", newt and his friend, and there was the problem with Erza and Depp being replaced

It was just an amalgamation of fucks up that imo lead to a disaster, that could be a nice trilogy about mythical creatures in the wizard world.

It was not rly the unfamiliarity, its just that they messed up shit.

The title did not line with the storyline they wanted to tell, Newt had fuck to do with Dumbledore x Grindewald, the plot was too convoluted with Erza character and the "dumbledore secret" that took away from the "fantastical beasts", newt and his friend, and there was the problem with Erza and Depp being replaced

It was just an amalgamation of fucks up that imo lead to a disaster, that could be a nice trilogy about mythical creatures in the wizard world.
    They really probably should have just done a dumbledore vs grindenwald series that could have even intersected with Newt's movies (ie, Newt could have shown up in the series) but not tried to mix these story lines quite like this. The Dumbledore vs Grindenwald stuff has real potential to be good but it doesn't need Newt as the "main" character and the fantastic beasts stuff could be fun and it doesn't need the Grindenwald vs Dumbledore stuff being involved in it.

I'm honestly sad that we'll likely not see Newt again and also sad that we'll likely not see the duel between Dumbledore and Grindenwald. I'd really love to know how Dumbledore even beat Grindenwald considering he had the elder wand. I also think it's a real shame that we probably won't get more of Jude Law's Dumbledore because I actually quite liked him in the role

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bmjclark View Post
    They really probably should have just done a dumbledore vs grindenwald series that could have even intersected with Newt's movies (ie, Newt could have shown up in the series) but not tried to mix these story lines quite like this. The Dumbledore vs Grindenwald stuff has real potential to be good but it doesn't need Newt as the "main" character and the fantastic beasts stuff could be fun and it doesn't need the Grindenwald vs Dumbledore stuff being involved in it.

I'm honestly sad that we'll likely not see Newt again and also sad that we'll likely not see the duel between Dumbledore and Grindenwald. I'd really love to know how Dumbledore even beat Grindenwald considering he had the elder wand. I also think it's a real shame that we probably won't get more of Jude Law's Dumbledore because I actually quite liked him in the role
    I think it should be two totally different trilogies that barely mention each other imo.

Another problem with Newt too is how his personality is too close to what Harry was.