Page 37 of 42 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    The odd thing is that I feel Rey is the easiest of the main three heroes to fix without fundamentally changing the movies (not saying the sequels don't have other problems, just saying Rey is entirely fixable). For some reason, the writers liked isolating Rey or limiting the character interactions that were around her. On Ahch-to in TLJ, shee barely interacts with Chewbacca, and I don't recall her ever interacting with R2. For most of that movie, the only named characters she really interacts with are Kylo and Luke.
    Oh yeah, she's not like irredeemably flawed or anything. The idea of some Force-sensitive waif getting thrown into events is not a problem by any stretch. That's Star Wars. But she just... does everything pretty much by herself, in ways that don't allow for growth or development or anything even remotely interesting. Whenever she's involved, things are at their most boring. And they really didn't have to be.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    I literally just gave you an example.
    Nope, its not better, at all

No there are no hints him and Watto never talk about teaching or tech or almost any thing other then pod racing.
    As far i remember the hints are watto expecting him to fix the broken things he sells, his knowoledge on tech is very limiting and its most related to small things like pod racing, not actually engineering and fixing spaceships just by getting scraps

You would have point if he was piloting a razor crest or something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    First time we see that Padawan actually fight anyone he loses his hand, and that's at the end of his second movie.

She's fighting off grown men in the first 30 minutes. It's clear her main skill is in her martial prowess.

I rarely agree with Syeg, but they should have focused on that aspect of her character. She's a Guardian not a Sentinel or Consular.
    Alternatively that might just be a terribly written character just maybe. Like on level with bad fanfic power fantasy bad.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean Anakin was shown as a piolet/tinkerer but but isn't shown to be a kid who gets into fights while it's one of the first thing we see of Rey's character. after the Jedi training Anakin is obviously better but Rey is the only one of the three who is shown to have fighting as a trait before they get wrapped up in major events.
    Anakin literally get in an on screen fight might be a deleted scene but it absolutely happens it's meant to show his impulsiveness. Happens after the podrace when kids accused him of cheating

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Anakin literally get in an on screen fight might be a deleted scene but it absolutely happens it's meant to show his impulsiveness. Happens after the podrace when kids accused him of cheating
    it’s not an on screen fight if they cut it from the movie and it never actually makes it on screen dude.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Let's see, I actually point out things that show you wrong and your response is just "nuh uh! doesn't count."

Yeah, not wrong here if your only response is to whine about "strawmen" and then you go an strawman, good job. You lost.

"People really need to read the expanded materials, or even just the books that came out about the movies that give a lot of information that the movie can't spend time on to cover. This has been a thing since ANH with Star Wars. There are things not given us. There are details about all characters that are just in the background that most people may not even pay attention to."

Notice the bold, because clearly you read just the first sentence before your replied.
    This is literally untrue the first supplement to the Star Wars universe post ANH was Splinter of the Mind's Eye which surprise surprise went with a very different Vader. It also heavily pushed the Luke Leia romance angle. Why, because Lucas didn't tell the writer anything about Empire for good reason. The EU only started to matter after the first trilogy was done because it basically continued the story.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    I mean in a universe that is supposed to span what 10,000s of years (I forget how far the EU goes) they have only even in games and shows (least that I can recall) stayed in the ~60 year span of the Skywalkers. I mean give us a GOOD adaptation of Knights of the Old Republic, give us some of that high Jedi/empire sith life.

Honestly if it wasn't Disney who have been VERY mediocre to bad about overall stories lately, the first movie in the trilogy would have intrigued me for the simple fact it is in a different time period.
    I would prefer Disney stays the hell away from the Revan Era thanks

- - - Updated - - -

lmao. What the fuck is this?

Rey literally is a scrapper who strips ships for parts and who frequents a place where bulk freighters like the Falcon frequent for parts. It would be more surprising if she didn't know how to fly the Falcon. "Hey, I know I am climbing in and out of all these ships, but I never bothered to actually learn how one of these work."

The Falcon isn't some magic ship. It is a modified freighter.

How is he being silly here? Like at all. Like seriously, do you even read your arguments?
    You realize that just because someone is an airline mechanic doesn't suddenly make them an incredible pilot right?

- - - Updated - - -

Scavs learning how the stuff they take part works and how to retrofit it It’s a pretty common trope it’s even one starwars used in the phantom Menace when Anakin savages and builds C3PO and his pod racer.
    I can build a computer that doesn't mean I can code. Doing repairs on a freighter would work for your explanation flying a highly customized smugglers ship better than freaking Han and Chewie not so much

- - - Updated - - -

Anakin was a slave just like Rey, there is no reason to think his master trained him and Rey’s didn’t and there is no indication that Anakin’s mom was helping him as far as I remember.
    Anakin literally got trained in what to do by Watto it made him more valuable that's why he didn't want to give up Anakin he had put time and effort into training him.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm actually watching the Tatooine parts of Menace and man they really lay it on thick with the wonder child stuff right from the start. Really don't see how any one could defend him over Rey given the age difference on any thing other then the force stuff.
    Anakin literally had no defenders before Rey because of how crazy his growth was and then Rey cranked it up to 5000 and pretty much made Anakin look like one of padawan preschoolers he sliced up.

7+ Year Old Account
    I can build a computer that doesn't mean I can code. Doing repairs on a freighter would work for your explanation flying a highly customized smugglers ship better than freaking Han and Chewie not so much
    you can know how a ship works without having the skill to fly one and her just knowing how the stuff she takes apart works is what’s in contention here not her flying.

Anakin literally got trained in what to do by Watto it made him more valuable that's why he didn't want to give up Anakin he had put time and effort into training him
    Mabye in EU material but this isn’t part of the movie, Anakin and Watto never mention any training or even tech regarding the each other.

Anakin literally had no defenders before Rey because of how crazy his growth was and then Rey cranked it up to 5000 and pretty much made Anakin look like one of padawan preschoolers he sliced up.
    If your (not you personally) pretending Anakins writing isn’t bad just because you dislike Rey then you don’t actually have a point you just want to argue/hate.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2023-04-21 at 07:44 PM.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    You realize that just because someone is an airline mechanic doesn't suddenly make them an incredible pilot right?
    You realize that Rey isn't an "incredible" pilot right? Nothing she does is that unusual for Star Wars pilots. She isn't even close to the best pilot shown in the Sequels.

And star ships in Star Wars aren't analogous to planes. They are far more analogous to cars.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

You realize that Rey isn't an "incredible" pilot right? Nothing she does is that unusual for Star Wars pilots. She isn't even close to the best pilot shown in the Sequels.
    I mean, the bit where she cut the engines to roll the gun to face the pursuing ship was pretty neat. But it came a couple minutes after she wiped out some buildings struggling to take off.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    I mean, the bit where she cut the engines to roll the gun to face the pursuing ship was pretty neat. But it came a couple minutes after she wiped out some buildings struggling to take off.
    That's true. But, the best piloting in the movie goes to Poe by parsecs. What Rey did was pretty standard stuff that we saw in comparison.

One of the biggest issue with Star Wars is how to compare the movies, special effects have come a long way since 2005 let alone 1977. I guarantee if Lucas had the technology that the sequels had for special effects, we would have seen a lot of what we got from Rey in the OT.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

One of the biggest issue with Star Wars is how to compare the movies, special effects have come a long way since 2005 let alone 1977. I guarantee if Lucas had the technology that the sequels had for special effects, we would have seen a lot of what we got from Rey in the OT.
    Yeah, maybe.

But even with modern stuff, unless it's a dogfight it's kinda hard to show a freighter being piloted expertly. (It's like when they shout "EVASIVE MANEUVERS!!!" in Star Trek and the ship...banks slightly to the left.) Which is presumably why characters will simply come out a say that X person is a "great pilot"...because otherwise the audience has no way to know if it's just the director/special effects crew showing off, or an actual demonstration of character skill.

When she fucking does it.
    In other words, the character just suddenly has all powers required to overcome any challenge, the moment she needs them.

In other words, it's bad writing.

This isn't a problem. This isn't bad writing.
    If you like bad writing, all the power to you. But don't try to make excuses to justify bad writing.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    In other words, the character just suddenly has all powers required to overcome any challenge, the moment she needs them.

If you like bad writing, all the power to you. But don't try to make excuses to justify bad writing.
    Ah people do defend bad writing all the time around here, like they did defend she-hulk writing, of all things, is astonishing

the best part is they acknowledging the show was bad written, just like acknowledging how the trilogy was bad, but not because the reasons and examples we give, its because other things.

But when you ask then, what this reasons and what examples are those, they don't give any. ITs just to be on the opposite side of the table.

"ok, Rey is a bad character, but she is bad not because the reasons you said" or "she is bad but anakin and luke are bad as well!!"

you can know how a ship works without having the skill to fly one and her just knowing how the stuff she takes apart works is what’s in contention here not her flying.

Mabye in EU material but this isn’t part of the movie, Anakin and Watto never mention any training or even tech regarding the each other.

If your (not you personally) pretending Anakins writing isn’t bad just because you dislike Rey then you don’t actually have a point you just want to argue/hate.
    Anakin's writing is fucking terrible. The point is Rey's writing is so bad it actually makes his semi defendable.

7+ Year Old Account

Like literally all star wars characters do.

And Rey is established as Force sensitive before she does any Force stuff, it isn't like "Surprise she was Force Sensitive."

You are wrong, you know you are wrong when Syeg agrees with you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Ah people do defend bad writing all the time around here, like they did defend she-hulk writing, of all things, is astonishing

the best part is they acknowledging the show was bad written, just like acknowledging how the trilogy was bad, but not because the reasons and examples we give, its because other things.

But when you ask then, what this reasons and what examples are those, they don't give any. ITs just to be on the opposite side of the table.

"ok, Rey is a bad character, but she is bad not because the reasons you said" or "she is bad but anakin and luke are bad as well!!"
    You have been answered literally every time you asked that.

You most times just pretend you were never answered or you mock the answer and then pretend you never got an answer.

I literally repeated an answer to you half a dozen times to you in she-hulk just to be met with mockery.

Stop pretending you don't get answers, you always get answered.
    –The Sith Code

7+ Year Old Account
    You are wrong, you know you are wrong when Syeg agrees with you.
    the amount of hubris and lack of self-aware, when multiple people confront your poorly made point

And before you are quite advocate of "if you are the only one, then you are wrong" quite ironic isn't

I just further proves the fact you are against the person - and in this case the side on the table - not the argument

You have been answered literally every time you asked that.
    No, it wasn't, poorly made arguments that don't answer anything neither refute points

I literally repeated an answer to you half a dozen times to you in she-hulk just to be met with mockery.
    You were not able to give a single one argument of why the show was bad written, and the only reason you tried to give to say the show was bad, is not nearly enough to make a show overall bad :^)
    Last edited by Syegfryed; 2023-04-22 at 12:24 AM.

Like literally all star wars characters do.
    Nah. All the other Star Wars went through training. They went through failings. They were shown to be weak and needed to train. Rey? She gains everything she ever needs the moment she needs to do something new. There's no struggle. No failing. Being mind-probed by a veteran sith? Well, she now can resist it, easily. Captured and need to be rescued? Nah, she'll just suddenly know how to do 'mind control' to get a guard to release her. Needs to fight said veteran sith? No problem, she's now a master swordswoman.

And Rey is established as Force sensitive before she does any Force stuff,
    Which is the same thing as saying someone with a "knack for math" knows how to do advanced calculus innately.

You are wrong,
    I'm not. You are. It is bad writing. A character who suddenly has skills out of nowhere "because the plot demands it" with zero training is bad writing.

5+ Year Old Account
    This is off-topic, but I just had a thought,

Palpatine would have won if he didn't replace the clones. They would have fudged up the rebels

7+ Year Old Account
    veteran sith?
    Just to Nit pick, Kylo isn't a veteran Sith hes not a Sith at all and hes portrayed as a raging fan boy who can't keep his cool so even him being a veteran is dubious.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    But when you ask then, what this reasons and what examples are those, they don't give any.
    People have been explaining why the sequels are weak movies for the better part of a decade now. Your refusal to acknowledge any explanation that doesn't pin the reason on Rey "doing the same exact shit that literally every other force-sensitive main character does" is no one's fault but your own.

But I do enjoy how you're complaining that no one will explain it to you, when your reasons for her being a bad character seem to be [checks notes] she can fly a ship and perform space magic at a level you arbitrarily think is too high. It's laughable. And probably the main reason no one cares to do anything but handwave away your worthless opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    This is off-topic, but I just had a thought,

Palpatine would have won if he didn't replace the clones. They would have fudged up the rebels
    And Luke Skywalker had the largest suit of plot armor ever!