Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Lmao, it's going to be gigantic disaster but hey, do what you do.

People here are so negative all the time about everything...

I love it never change MMO Champion forum.

Going gold in 2023 OMEGALUL

Does "going gold" even mean anything anymore when every game has day-1 patches and constant development? Really all it means is that they've started producing physical game discs to ship to stores.

Anyone interested I can confirm it runs amazing on the Xbox series s.

what the hell does that mean??!

the only time i heard of that phrase for games is when a popular game that had expansion packs gets a "gold edition" which contains the DLC and the latest game version.

holy f such a meaningless marketing statement from blizzard about a not yet released game.

people really do get upset about anything these days.

It's a tradition and as old as when CD's became the means to distribute games.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Upset if it goes gold, upset if it gets delayed; y'all are some sore losers

10+ Year Old Account
    It done gone gold!

Quote Originally Posted by Roanda View Post
    Nice, thanks for the info.
    I just think is strange because not long ago they released a huge list of improvements "on the works"...which...are probably done by now?
    That was fast
    Going gold has not much sense anymore with digital delivery only games like D4.

I don’t even know why Blizzard announced it, the version we will download on June will be different from the one that “went gold” today.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    It used to mean that the game is finished for shipping - back when games were sold as physical copies, you had to at some point stop development to actually produce those physical copies. This involved making a "master" CD/DVD to serve as the template for pressing the physical discs. Those masters were often gold in color, which is where the term "going gold" comes from: to have the game finished for a release-ready state that'll be on the physically shipped media.

This doesn't mean much anymore, though, and is largely a celebratory tradition now, not an actual state of development. Not just because day 0/day 1 patches are of course the norm now, but also because games like D4 that are online-only and gaming-as-a-service based never really stop developing to begin with, as new content is constantly being made.

It's still a kind of milestone in the development cycle even if it's lost much of its meaning.
    Discs in production for consoles

Quote Originally Posted by chiddie View Post
    Going gold has not much sense anymore with digital delivery only games like D4.

I don’t even know why Blizzard announced it, the version we will download on June will be different from the one that “went gold” today.
    It's not digital delivery only though.

Nor does it matter, it's a tradition for a milestone reached before the release of the game. Doesn't matter if a game is only sold digitally, having a release ready version is a big milestone for everyone involved.
    Sure for regular consumers it doesn't matter that much, but for the ones involved in the industry it surely is.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    "game is fully developed"

Cheers for the laugh
    Now all they have to do is have the players buy it and full price to test it, that way they don't have to hire testers!

Alliance

Quote Originally Posted by Stormwolf64 View Post
    Discs in production for consoles
    Oh, yes, true, I totally forgot about consoles as usual :kekw:

This makes me even more sad about the lack of a PC standard boxed version.

Seeing as its online only, no single player / offline play... are consoles actually getting physical copies or a cd key on a slip of paper?

I don't see how anyone could think this game is going to be good. Look at everything else Blizzard has released in the last 5 years. "Going gold" is a fucking lie since there is absolutely going to be a day 1 patch and there is absolutely going to be connection issues like there is with every single Blizzard launch.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    I don't see how anyone could think this game is going to be good. Look at everything else Blizzard has released in the last 5 years. "Going gold" is a fucking lie since there is absolutely going to be a day 1 patch and there is absolutely going to be connection issues like there is with every single Blizzard launch.
    Going gold has nothing to do with patches nor server issues

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Going gold has nothing to do with patches nor server issues
    Going gold means it's finished and ready to ship. A day 1 patch would mean it's NOT complete.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    Going gold means it's finished and ready to ship. A day 1 patch would mean it's NOT complete.
    No game is every truly finished. Never has been... you are correct it means there is a release version being sent to print to make shipments.
    The alternative would be getting a more buggy game.
    Day 1 patches is such a weird complaint... the alternative would be like the good old days where you bought a game and whatever bugs they had you were stuck with them. And they surely had bugs.

Feels like people have a warped view of how game development works.
    The choices you have are:

No Day 1 patch and you are stuck with whatever bugs the game has. And yes, every single game has bugs. So none of this "just bug fix the game before release". Nu-huh, doesn't work. You can't avoid bugs. That's how things are and always have been and always will be.

and

Day 1 patch where you get some more fixes right at release.

To me this is an easy choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    what the hell does that mean??!

the only time i heard of that phrase for games is when a popular game that had expansion packs gets a "gold edition" which contains the DLC and the latest game version.

holy f such a meaningless marketing statement from blizzard about a not yet released game.
    Are you literally twelve? "going gold" has been a thing since games were literally first created. It means they've finished the game to a point that they're happy enough to start printing physical disc editions of the game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softwa...acturing_(RTM)
    Quote Originally Posted by Addiena
    Whats the saying .. You have two brain cells and they are both fighting for third place !