Page 1 of 14
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

I'm still up for a mega server with no sharding for retail

I still believe to this day that sharding is the worst thing they implemented into WoW, i get the idea when a server is underpopulated and it needs to be more populated that sharding is a solution, but once there are too many people and you shard people away then the whole idea around sharding becomes very stupid for a MMORPG...

You play a MMORPG because you wanna experience an alive open world, not to feel like the game is dead because your server is too populated.

I feel like Blizzard should make a realm that is twice as big if not triple as big in server capability and have 0 sharding in place.
    Look how alive Classic WoW looks like, how many people are everywhere and no shard in sight. The real MMORPG experience that retail lost.

For anyone who wants to go to this realm there should be a free realm change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

There's a reason they cap shards at around 50ish people. More than that you experience major degrading in performance and server lag which is not fun for anyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    There's a reason they cap shards at around 50ish people. More than that you experience major degrading in performance and server lag which is not fun for anyone.
    This is such a bad argument, i experienced 300 man raids during WoW peakdays and it barely effected lag, AV is 40v40 too and no lag either.
    50ish people is just DISGUSTINGLY low and bad for a Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game.

People forget how much fun a massively overcrowded world is and prefer convenience over immersion and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    This is such a bad argument, i experienced 300 man raids during WoW peakdays and it barely effected lag, AV is 40v40 too and no lag either.
    50ish people is just DISGUSTINGLY low and bad for a Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game.

People forget how much fun a massively overcrowded world is and prefer convenience over immersion and fun.
    You got any proof of that? With the stats to go with it, or is the source “trust me bro”?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soikona View Post
    You got any proof of that? With the stats to go with it, or is the source “trust me bro”?
    Proof of what?

I still believe to this day that sharding is the worst thing they implemented into WoW, i get the idea when a server is underpopulated and it needs to be more populated that sharding is a solution, but once there are too many people and you shard people away then the whole idea around sharding becomes very stupid for a MMORPG...

You play a MMORPG because you wanna experience an alive open world, not to feel like the game is dead because your server is too populated.

I feel like Blizzard should make a realm that is twice as big if not triple as big in server capability and have 0 sharding in place.
    Look how alive Classic WoW looks like, how many people are everywhere and no shard in sight. The real MMORPG experience that retail lost.

For anyone who wants to go to this realm there should be a free realm change.
    You do not understand the point of sharding. It has nothing to do with server size.

A servers population limit is the exact size of it had 0 shards or 40 shards. The server limit does not increase (this comes from the devs themselves), although they can increase it if they want. The point of sharding is to releave server stress in a zone that has a certain threshhold of players.

I don't know who to trust: Blizzard server admins whose actual job it is to know how this stuff works and where their server limitations are or some random guy on MMO-C.

...guess we'll never know for real, will we?

Proof of what?
    Of your blantant lie

10+ Year Old Account
    Mega servers.. When Argent Dawn EU sputters after 400 people events, heck, we experience issues at 200+ on bad days.. No thanks, we don't need it. The zones are alive enough (at least my own experience).
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account

ok now you're just flat out lying. I've done raids recently on capital cities in Classic, and the lag is immense. Whenever a group is killing the world boss on your shard, you get lag.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    You do not understand the point of sharding. It has nothing to do with server size.

A servers population limit is the exact size of it had 0 shards or 40 shards. The server limit does not increase (this comes from the devs themselves), although they can increase it if they want. The point of sharding is to releave server stress in a zone that has a certain threshhold of players.
    Splitting communities of players because something is overcrowded is just wrong in a MMORPG and proof of this are other MMORPGS that are alive and well without it.
    Feels like stress on a zone is way overrated issue that people make it to out be, main reason for sharding is convenience and not actual in-game related issues.

This is such a bad argument, i experienced 300 man raids during WoW peakdays and it barely effected lag,
    I can guarantee you never experienced a "300 man raid". Not even Southshore and Tarren Mill battles got that big unless you have something to back it up. That would mean both sides need roughly 150 unless you meant yours was 300 so that it was roughly a 500 man battle. Those were maybe at most like 75-100 players and the lag was already immense. You can even look at the SS vs TM brawl as an example of how this is and this is in an enclosed instance without the world spawns, randoms flying by and other npc's to make it worse.

When the gates of AQ were opening the servers were struggling with around 100 people and we saw the same thing with WoW Classic. Internet and servers just can't keep up with that many people in games. Why do you think a lot of games have a max amount of people per map and not infinite and they have far less going on.

AV is 40v40 too and no lag either.
    Again, didn't happen. Even today there is some server lag from time to time in AV.

[QUOTE=Gimlix;54098322]50ish people is just DISGUSTINGLY low and bad for a Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game.

Again, you don't understand technology. Servers and the internet can't handle all that processing and such without getting super expensive servers (which aren't worth it). There is a reason all games cap out around a certain number.

You are mixing delusion, hope, and what you experienced together. Yes more players can be fun for some, but the costs aren't for a lot of people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    ok now you're just flat out lying. I've done raids recently on capital cities in Classic, and the lag is immense. Whenever a group is killing the world boss on your shard, you get lag.
    How big was this raid and how BAD was the lag? I done 80vs80 capital raids back in the days with minimum lag.

- - - Updated - - -

I can guarantee you never experienced a "300 man raid". Not even Southshore and Tarren Mill battles got that big unless you have something to back it up. That would mean both sides need roughly 150 unless you meant yours was 300 so that it was roughly a 500 man battle. Those were maybe at most like 75-100 players and the lag was already immense. You can even look at the SS vs TM brawl as an example of how this is and this is in an enclosed instance without the world spawns, randoms flying by and other npc's to make it worse.
    Mists of Pandaria Oondasta before nerf on the bussiest server of EU.
    Yes it lagged, but not as bad people appear it out to be. Because you didn't experience it, does not mean it never happened.

Sharding is the worst thing that ever happened to WoW. But if you a meta-player, you might never notice the difference.

Sharding isn't for server stability. WoW servers are the most stable in the industry and have been since forever. Sharding was to create the illusion of population density. No matter where you go, you will see players. Ironically this killed social interactivity since those players are never the same twice and vanish and appear at anytime destroying immersion forever. Since sharding, players in the open world are just warm bodies.

Anecdote: When it first came out, i was leveling a human. Passerby and I worked together w/o grouping to clear murlocs/gnolls. Doing the same quests in the same zone. Might add them and see if we can level til DMs. A second later, we walk over the bridge to Westfall. That guy vanished. Never saw him again.

MMO my ass.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Man I remember those 2005 fights for Azuregos and the other world bosses. To set the stage it was several hundred people (maybe more) in very sparse zones fighting over a world boss for hours. In one corner you had the Horde, in the other corner you had the Alliance. When you touched gloves in the middle both got constant server disconnects, sometimes world servers down, and those that got to experience the fun got to engage in some 10 second delay world PvP.

I'm not a server tech, but I'd imagine as the game got more visually intense and with more damage instances to compute (also zones with far more points of interest) this became exceedingly difficult to pull off.

OP must have double, triple or quadruple vision because I never remember an instance of any classic era (I'm not talking the reboot, I'm talking 2004-2010) where there wasn't crippling lag associated with masses of players being in one area.

And yes I did fights in MoP with Oondasta where there were thousands of people there. You know what I did? I abused the fact that the boss could one shot any non tank on my tank, by just randomly taunting where most people were. Nobody could engage with me because that many people in one area caused such crippling lag that there was absolutely no counter-play to it.

Not fun for you. Vanilla was the laggiest the game has ever been. It had millions more players than today. Those people were having fun despite lagging. I wonder why..

Dunno, I still remember Trollfest. Server started crapping it's pants once we were about 500 people strong. Absolutely melted down once we hit about a thousand, I mean world lag across the whole continent, everyone warping around, people being forcefully teleported away just to start a train of trolls running back to the spawn.

But it was hell of a fun thing, and it was what, more than a decade ago? Sad to see that the game still can't handle crowds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by liyroot View Post
    Sharding is the worst thing that ever happened to WoW. But if you a meta-player, you might never notice the difference.

Sharding isn't for server stability. WoW servers are the most stable in the industry and have been since forever. Sharding was to create the illusion of population density. No matter where you go, you will see players. Ironically this killed social interactivity since those players are never the same twice and vanish and appear at anytime destroying immersion forever. Since sharding, players in the open world are just warm bodies.

Anecdote: When it first came out, i was leveling a human. Passerby and I worked together w/o grouping to clear murlocs/gnolls. Doing the same quests in the same zone. Might add them and see if we can level til DMs. A second later, we walk over the bridge to Westfall. That guy vanished. Never saw him again.

MMO my ass.
    Except if you play on a overpopulated realm, back in my days when sharding got introduced, we had 100 people in Goldshire on a PVP realm.
    The same day sharding got added, suddenly Goldshire had 10-20 players. We all thought WoW lost massive amount of players, just to find out we all were on a different shard.

Almost all of my friends didn't play much longer after that, because we felt like the whole social aspect of the game got totally removed because of convenience.
    I realm changed to Argent Dawn who doesn't have sharding and it shows how active and social that realm still is today.

Alot of people on this website only care about convienence and not actual gameplay, having lag or longer questtime due oversized areas is the whole fun of a MMORPG.
    Main reason why WoW is dying because they removed the MMO aspect and it shows why classic is booming so hard, it has more full and locked servers then retail.

It just proves where the interest really lays in most of the old time wow players.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Echeyakee View Post
    Dunno, I still remember Trollfest. Server started crapping it's pants once we were about 500 people strong. Absolutely melted down once we hit about a thousand, I mean world lag across the whole continent, everyone warping around, people being forcefully teleported away just to start a train of trolls running back to the spawn.

But it was hell of a fun thing, and it was what, more than a decade ago? Sad to see that the game still can't handle crowds.
    You remember those moments though and i'm sure if they asked you today to re-do that crazy lagfest, you would say yes without a doubt.

Mists of Pandaria Oondasta before nerf on the bussiest server of EU.
    Yes it lagged, but not as bad people appear it out to be. Because you didn't experience it, does not mean it never happened.
    By the time you finally got the server to let you release, you'd be dead again.

That was on even dead servers.

You're off the mark on this. Even South shore vs Tarren Mill kills the game.

Quote Originally Posted by liyroot View Post

MMO my ass.
    You literally have 0 clue what you are talking about.

THE ONLY REASON THEY ARE STABLE IS THE SHARDING.

Your argument is invalid and moot as the very reason you give saying they are the most stable in the industry is the exact thing you are against.