Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    I'd partially agree, but when it comes to the legs of a film, the content can help it go futher, or bring it down quickly. For example the Buzz lightyear film was hit two fold, by the recasting of Tim Allen being the first hit, and the lack of quality/engaging story being the second. If the story had been top notch think it could have overcame the lack of Tim Allen, though it still would have hurt it.
    I mean, Mario overcame Chris Pratt not being Charles Martinet.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    I mean, Mario overcame Chris Pratt not being Charles Martinet.
    This is true, though honestly I was more put off with the phone in job Seth Rogan gave as DK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Mario went full circle, from the most acid-trippy, wtf-even-is-this-seriously-you-guys-WHAT-IS-THIS days of the first video-game adaptation to an unapologetic full-fanservice smash hit.

Wild ride, Mario. Wild. Ride.

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    I'd partially agree, but when it comes to the legs of a film, the content can help it go futher, or bring it down quickly.
    Hm. Not really. This is more due to how exhibitors give screens to a movie.

SMB released with John Wick 4 losing its premium screens in week 2 to SMB and Dungeons & Dragons not doing well enough to take auditoriums away from either. The newest releases will always have priority on premium screens and 3-9 showings. But any strongly performing metric for exhibitors takes priority over that- Top Gun Maverick is another recent excellent example of top-level positioning.

Exhibitors make these decisions well in advance of "word of mouth". They have to otherwise you can't buy a ticket and exos can't report earnings-per-screen; which affects how much exos are willing to pay and schedule for distributors.

For example the Buzz lightyear film was hit two fold, by the recasting of Tim Allen being the first hit, and the lack of quality/engaging story being the second. If the story had been top notch think it could have overcame the lack of Tim Allen, though it still would have hurt it.
    None of this mattered. It was the marketing and soft scheduling of Disney in that window that led to the film underperforming. The test screenings were not great so there was no reason for Disney to give the film a hard marketing push or negotiate better scheduling. The same issue happened to Strange Worlds, also from Disney, in the same year. They didn't have time for another round of PRLs to make a good enough date window.

Conversely, Turning Red, had strong audience testing but the date window was too narrow. So they released to digital and PVOD.

Turning Red and Puss in Boots are examples of word of mouth bolstering a film. Though the latter was negotiated to have a longer run up until SMB. Which also was way exos were desperate for a F18-35 B/G8-12 film and gave SMB so many screens and 3-9s.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2023-04-23 at 11:05 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    ‘The Super Mario Bros. Movie’ Crossing $1 Billion at Global Box Office.

https://variety.com/2023/film/box-of...al-1235598692/
    By J. Kim Murphy - Apr 29, 2023 8:26am PT

“The Super Mario Bros. Movie” has pounded out some serious coinage. The animated adventure from Universal Pictures, Illumination Entertainment and Nintendo is becoming the first release of 2023 to cross the $1 billion mark at the global box office.

While “Mario Bros.” isn’t projected to cross the coveted threshold until the end of the weekend, Universal is confident enough in projections to declare a victory. Should estimates hold, the video game adaptation will reach the $1 billion mark in 26 days.

First debuting on April 5, “The Super Mario Bros. Movie” has been a dominant force in theaters for the entire month. It still ranks as the top release on domestic charts, now in its fourth weekend of release.

By Monday, “Mario Bros.” looks to be hovering at a $487.5 million gross in North America and $533 million internationally, nudging past the $1 billion mark. It will be the fifth title to notch the achievement since the onset of the global COVID pandemic, following “Spider-Man: No Way Home,” “Top Gun: Maverick,” “Jurassic World Dominion” and “Avatar: The Way of Water.”

“Super Mario Bros.” is far and away the highest-grossing release of 2023 so far. The film skyrocketed past the previous record holder, Disney’s Marvel sequel “Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania” ($474 million), in only its second week of release. While the summer season has plenty of prospective blockbusters on the docket, including “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3,” “Fast X” and “Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One,” “Mario Bros.” looks to finish with a formidable global haul that will be a challenge for any film to top.

Starring Chris Pratt, Anya Taylor-Joy, Charlie Day and Jack Black as the voices of the beloved video game characters, “The Super Mario Bros. Movie” follows Italian American plumbers Mario and Luigi as they work to save the magical Mushroom Kingdom from the fire-breathing, furious Bowser — king of the Koopas and pesky suitor to the mysterious Princess Peach.

Just saw the movie and I'd agree with the critics that it's not a good movie but as a fan of the games I thought it was alot of fun.

Solid 8/10 but I will expect more from a sequel, they can't just have fan service carry the film every time.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Felt it was alittle fast pace but it was decent enough that I wouldn’t mind watching it again.

So is it likely that stores that put these out early will pull them?
    Last edited by BeckJohn21; 2023-10-19 at 09:28 AM.

I come a decade from the future to deliver unto you all the news that Nintendo is creating a shared universe for an eventual Avengers-sized crossover Super Smash Brothers movie.

Just kidding, I actually just deduced through common sense that this is the direction we are going. First with Detective Pokémon, then with this, followed by the supposed rumor of Legend of Zelda movie. Hollywood wants that billion dollar blockbuster again, and if Justice League couldn't pull it off Smash Bros probably will.

Refer me back to this post a few years from now when the LoZ movie is in theaters and we have a post credit scene of Metroid or Star Fox. I think Kirby will premiere in Smash Bros since a Kirby movie would be weak.
    Last edited by Al Gorefiend; 2023-06-25 at 04:52 PM.

It was definitely a cute movie. Lumalee was hilarious to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    I come a decade from the future to deliver unto you all the news that Nintendo is creating a shared universe for an eventual Avengers-sized crossover Super Smash Brothers movie.

Just kidding, I actually just deduced through common sense that this is the direction we are going. First with Detective Pokémon, then with this, followed by the supposed rumor of Legend of Zelda movie. Hollywood wants that billion dollar blockbuster again, and if Justice League couldn't pull it off Smash Bros probably will.

Refer me back to this post a few years from now when the LoZ movie is in theaters and we have a post credit scene of Metroid or Star Fox. I think Kirby will premiere in Smash Bros since a Kirby movie would be weak.

Id love to see a Metroid movie and a LoZ movie too.

With all the Marvel/DC movies already treading on my childhood.. These do even more so, as I grew up with these games (Got my NES when I was 6. Yes I know im old). I didnt go through my comic phase until some years later (Superman died to Doomsday when i was 11). This could either be an amazing universe or a tragic one.

5+ Year Old Account
    New ‘Super Mario Bros.’ World Animated Movie in the Works From Illumination, Nintendo

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/n...te-1235936648/
    By Brent Lang - Mar 10, 2024 6:38am PT

Illumination and Nintendo will join forces to produce a new animated film based on the world of Super Mario Bros.

The companies previously partnered on last year’s “The Super Mario Bros. Movie,” which grossed more than $1.3 billion and became the second highest-grossing movie of 2023. It’s unclear which fanciful characters the new film will focus on — be they plumbers, princesses, Koopas or other residents of the Mushroom Kingdom — and the partners are not using the word “sequel.” However, the companies did specify that the movie will be released in theaters on April 3, 2026, in the U.S. and additional markets globally. It will be unveiled in other territories throughout April.

The film will be produced by Chris Meledandri, founder and CEO of Illumination, and Shigeru Miyamoto, representative director and fellow of Nintendo and one of the most famous figures in gaming. The close collaboration between the filmmakers and Miyamoto is one of the reasons that “The Super Mario Bros. Movie” was seen by fans as remaining true to the essence of what made the video games so popular. That was in stark contrast with the 1993 live-action “Mario” adaptation, which was panned and became a box office bomb.

The animated follow-up will be directed by Aaron Horvath and Michael Jelenic, who oversaw “The Super Mario Bros. Movie.” It will be written by Matthew Fogel, who penned the script for that film. The yet-to-be-titled installment will be co-financed by Universal Pictures and Nintendo and distributed theatrically worldwide by Universal Pictures.

Illumination is one of the most successful forces in animation, producing hits like the “Despicable Me” series, as well as “Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax,” “Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch” and “The Secret Life of Pets” and “Sing” films. Its next film is “Despicable Me 4,” which will be released in theaters on July 3.

Nintendo’s games include “Donkey Kong,” “The Legend of Zelda,” “Metroid” and “Splatoon.” Nintendo has sold more than 5.6 billion video games and over 800 million hardware units globally.

News of the next “Mario Bros.” film broke on “Mario Day,” an annual celebration that Nintendo uses to offer deals on games and devices, with Meledandri and Miyamoto announcing the development of the latest movie in a joint video.

“It’ll have a bright and fun story,” Miyamoto teased. “This time we’re thinking about broadening Mario’s world further.”

But as for how that expansion might manifest, well Miyamoto would only say, “We’ll let you know once we’re at the stage where we’re ready to share more.”

It is likely too much to hope for, but I'd love a good Legend of Zelda movie.

And most of all, a Chrono Trigger movie.

Though frankly I hope they wait awhile and do Chrono Trigger when this era of movies dies off, technology has gotten a bit better, and they have to compete with AI movies.

I want something that people actually try to make incredible.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post
    It is likely too much to hope for, but I'd love a good Legend of Zelda movie.
    they are, https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...egend-of-Zelda

edit: oh yeah, that one isn't animated...

Though frankly I hope they wait awhile and do Chrono Trigger when this era of movies dies off, technology has gotten a bit better, and they have to compete with AI movies.

What is chrono
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2024-03-11 at 02:43 AM.

This was expected with the Yoshi easter "egg" scene at the end of the first, so of course it'll feature Yoshi. I wish they'd build up to a Super Smash Bros movie. Make it their Endgame.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    they are, https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...egend-of-Zelda

edit: oh yeah, that one isn't animated...

What is chrono
    Yea, I was careful to say a "GOOD" Legend of Zelda movie. We'll wait and see if that ever happens.

And you don't know Chrono Trigger? Sweet summer child. Best video game ever created.

An emulator and hours of enjoyment are waiting for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post

As amazing as a Chrono Trigger movie would be. Akiria Toriyama dying and the fact that him dying was the most attention that franchise has gotten since....well I guess the steam release of Chrono Cross which was barely a whimper I kinda have a doubt we are gonna see that.

Add in well, Square Enix isn't exactly jumping on making movies these days considering the last couple of disasters we'd be LUCKY to see an anime but once again with Toriyama dying that ship has sailed.
    3 Major Rules of World of Warcraft Players:
    1. No one on earth wants to play World of Warcraft less than other World of Warcraft players.
    2. The desire to win>The desire for anything else in World of Warcraft. NO EXCEPTIONS
    3. Efficiency will be king no matter how you think it will improve the game.