The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    Tf? This Rodgers revisionism to make him out to be just ok is nuts. Brady went to a team who couldn’t get into the playoffs and won a sb. Peyton went to a team after neck surgery and dominated for years with 2 sb appearances.
    I may not have liked the kind of personality he became since the LaFleur hire but the guy won back to back MVPs just a few years ago.

You can say he looked like he was over the team last year but you can't say he's been shot for years.

He absolutely makes the Jets a playoff threat. AFC East threat? Probably not. But I'd expect the Jets to sneak in as a 5 or 6 seed and if they're the 5 beat up on the Jaguars.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    To be fair Rodgers is neither of those QBs, he chokes in big games, does not lead 4th quarter comebacks and does not seem to trust younger players. He also typically had better defenses than someone like Brees.

Edit: https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comment...s_a_defensive/ this is one example of the defenses but this went to 2016. Here is another bit of stats.
    A: So Peyton. Maybe it’s not remembered now but he was literally the example used for someone great in the regular season who pumpkin’d in the playoffs.

B: maybe so, but halfway through the season he’d started clicking well enough that I think the whole thing was overblown.

As for defenses, jets have an amazing defense, just like the broncos did, and the Packers when they won the SB.
    Last edited by ProphetFlume; 2023-04-25 at 02:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Umm... I would've guessed this was sarcasm but the rest of your post doesn't seem to be so it must just be unfathomable ignorance.
    Let's clear up some misunderstanding here. Rodgers looked absolutely cooked last year, fact. A cooked Rodgers is probably still better than a lot of QBs, also fact.

Point being, the Jets are not getting prime Rodgers here who could keep his team relevant and even thriving on his own. I'm not saying he's now a terrible QB, but he's not at Josh Allen's level anymore. And the comparison was to Josh Allen as the far away best QB in the AFC East.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Let's clear up some misunderstanding here. Rodgers looked absolutely cooked last year, fact. A cooked Rodgers is probably still better than a lot of QBs, also fact.

Point being, the Jets are not getting prime Rodgers here who could keep his team relevant and even thriving on his own. I'm not saying he's now a terrible QB, but he's not at Josh Allen's level anymore. And the comparison was to Josh Allen as the far away best QB in the AFC East.
    I mean it could be said Rodgers looked 'cooked' a few years back before rattling off two MVPs. Brady looked 'cooked' in New England for a year starting the 'is he too old now' talk and then he played elite football for another 5+ years.

Also I'd not take Allen over Rodgers because I view them in the same category as not able to win the big games in the playoffs. And we're just talking this year in comparing the two not a 'who would I take as my QB for the next 2+ years' thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean it could be said Rodgers looked 'cooked' a few years back before rattling off two MVPs. Brady looked 'cooked' in New England for a year starting the 'is he too old now' talk and then he played elite football for another 5+ years.

Also I'd not take Allen over Rodgers because I view them in the same category as not able to win the big games in the playoffs. And we're just talking this year in comparing the two not a 'who would I take as my QB for the next 2+ years' thing.
    Yeah, that's a fair opinion to have. I don't agree though. I think Allen is by far the better QB and the Bills will win the East easily. I'll be shocked if anyone other than the Bills wins the East. If they don't though it will be because of (defensive) coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    Tf? This Rodgers revisionism to make him out to be just ok is nuts. Brady went to a team who couldn’t get into the playoffs and won a sb. Peyton went to a team after neck surgery and dominated for years with 2 sb appearances.
    He wasn't good last year. He was MVP the previous 2 years. It all depends on which Rodgers is left. Age dictates that it'll be the former - Brady is the exception, not the rule.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair Rodgers is neither of those QBs, he chokes in big games, does not lead 4th quarter comebacks and does not seem to trust younger players. He also typically had better defenses than someone like Brees.

Edit: https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comment...s_a_defensive/ this is one example of the defenses but this went to 2016. Here is another bit of stats.
    He has enough comeback wins against Dallas alone to prove that's not true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Let's clear up some misunderstanding here.
    You exaggerated and needed to be called out for it.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    He has enough comeback wins against Dallas alone to prove that's not true.
    https://www.pro-football-reference.c...cks_career.htm while you take time to go down, down, down that list and find Rodgers name let me know when you get there. Jay Cutler has more comeback wins than Rodgers for fuck's sake. He's below QBs that had better defenses and worse defenses. He ain't clutch. Been proven time and time again with his failures in the playoffs as well.

Just glad that trade is finally fucking done, was so tired of hearing about it almost as much as the Lamar Jackson stuff.
    The "will they/won't they" has been exhausting.

Still better than the constant barrage of mock drafts that goes on in the off season, imo.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    The "will they/won't they" has been exhausting.

Still better than the constant barrage of mock drafts that goes on in the off season, imo.
    Tell me about it, can't wait til Friday morning when the important part of the draft is in the rear view mirror and we don't have to hear about mocks again for a while.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.pro-football-reference.c...cks_career.htm while you take time to go down, down, down that list and find Rodgers name let me know when you get there. Jay Cutler has more comeback wins than Rodgers for fuck's sake. He's below QBs that had better defenses and worse defenses. He ain't clutch. Been proven time and time again with his failures in the playoffs as well.
    Dude that's all time, and he's around 30th (tied for 28th). When Romo played, he was known for pulling random stuff out of his ass to poke out late wins, and he's only three wins ahead. It isn't bad. And while he certainly isn't king of the playoffs, 64% completions, 5800 yards, 45/13 TD/INT, sounds pretty good to me. Which isn't that relevant to the clutch argument, since those are different things. But either way, there it is. And no, he has rarely had a top ten defense in his career. Everything I've looked at, 9th in 2019, 2nd in 2010, 7th in 2009, otherwise, middle of the pack or worse every year since back to 2008, his first year starting. And let's not forget about those historically bad special teams in recent years. So speaking of Tony Romo, it's him all over again. Misattributing his team's failures despite issues in other places. Was his stats last year much poorer than he's usually known for? Sure. But that's recency bias, when you're making comments on a player's entire career.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2023-04-26 at 01:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    He wasn't good last year. He was MVP the previous 2 years. It all depends on which Rodgers is left. Age dictates that it'll be the former - Brady is the exception, not the rule.
    Rodgers looked checked out after 2 quarters of football last year. Its why I am taking no bets on #RodgersWatch... It could go either way. He could be washed, could've been a motivation issue. Which is ridiculous for how much he makes, but it is Rodgers...

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Dude that's all time, and he's around 30th (tied for 28th). When Romo played, he was known for pulling random stuff out of his ass to poke out late wins, and he's only three wins ahead.
    Are you missing one key factor here? The amount of years/games played. Romo played 12 years (with many missed games) for a total of 156 games with only 127 of them as starts. Rodgers? 230 games played 223 started.

Some of the older QBs have less games too, not all of them but many of them do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Rodgers looked checked out after 2 quarters of football last year. Its why I am taking no bets on #RodgersWatch... It could go either way. He could be washed, could've been a motivation issue. Which is ridiculous for how much he makes, but it is Rodgers...
    Yeah it is what makes me balk at calling him washed. If he comes back with a chip on his shoulder and motivated you think last year Rodgers is the QB that shows up? I wouldn't bet that he's washed yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah it is what makes me balk at calling him washed. If he comes back with a chip on his shoulder and motivated you think last year Rodgers is the QB that shows up? I wouldn't bet that he's washed yet.
    Much of it will depend on how he interacts with the NY media too, I think. We don't know the schedule yet, but if they start the season off with a tough loss and the media gets on his ass, it might get ugly real quick.

Successful QBs have always had a certain level of competitive chip on their shoulder, and maybe Rodgers' chip is big enough after the last season and being sent off in GB that he's super motivated, but idk. To me last year didn't look like ONLY a motivation issue.

Packers played the Patriots in week 4 last season, and won in OT, and were at that point 3-1 on the season and in perfect position, but in that Patriots game he was just NOT Rodgers from years past. And it didn't seem like a motivation issue at all at that point. After that game came the losing streak and I can imagine that this made him check out mentally, but that game against the Patriots was just not prime Rodgers at all, even though they were perfectly positioned to have a good season.

Now you can argue that he already checked out before that, and that it didn't happen during the losing streak, but I'd argue that is not a great sign if he runs into a difficult start with the Jets either.

But, we'll see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you missing one key factor here? The amount of years/games played. Romo played 12 years (with many missed games) for a total of 156 games with only 127 of them as starts. Rodgers? 230 games played 223 started.
    And you're missing every other factor here that isn't quantified. How many chances of comebacks did he have? Were the failures on him or his defense or his receivers dropping balls? Again, I'll stick to my eye test. And, hey, look at that. He had four of them in 2022. Sounds pretty damn good if we're just going by that stat. He has a lot of "game-winning drives" too. More so than a few people above him in comeback wins. I don't know the difference, but it's a separate stat.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have never been a big fan of comeback wins/game winning drives as a useful statistic, it just doesn't tell you much. Maybe a guy has a lot of comebacks because he stunk for three quarters and his good defense kept him in it, maybe his bad defense keeps surrendering leads, it doesn't say and it's too much work to find out.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, they invented something worse than constant mock draft coverage - inane babble about Vegas odds changing on draft picks.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    I have never been a big fan of comeback wins/game winning drives as a useful statistic, it just doesn't tell you much. Maybe a guy has a lot of comebacks because he stunk for three quarters and his good defense kept him in it, maybe his bad defense keeps surrendering leads, it doesn't say and it's too much work to find out.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, they invented something worse than constant mock draft coverage - inane babble about Vegas odds changing on draft picks.
    "Levis' odds of going #1 have increased" is... aggrivating.

I can't even explain it. Just seeing it constantly makes me angry.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    "Levis' odds of going #1 have increased" is... aggrivating.

I can't even explain it. Just seeing it constantly makes me angry.
    My guess is someone on a place people look at for sports betting said their uncle's cat's gardener heard in a CoD lobby that Levis was going #1 and people believed them and started betting on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    My guess is someone on a place people look at for sports betting said their uncle's cat's gardener heard in a CoD lobby that Levis was going #1 and people believed them and started betting on it.
    Nah I think the culprit is actually Stroud. Once word got around the Texans had soured on him and were looking at taking Levis at 12 the need to have at least three "sure fire elite QBs" kicked in and rocketed Levis up the Vegas boards.

Honestly? I think people who were waiting for the 1, 2, 3, 4 QBs are going to be disappointed. I think it'll be a typical draft; 2 taken in the top 10, and only 3-4 QBs total in the first round.