Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What counters should the Alliance have made against the Forsaken Blight ?

I'll be totally honest, I have always found it very ridiculous and lazy from the writers' part, that since Wrath of the Lich King, during which Alliance first experienced and learned about the Blight made by Putress and the other biological weapons made by the Forsaken Apothecaries, that the Alliance didn't do anything to find weaknesses and counters to the Blight and other biological weapons whenever it's machines made by the Gnomes, spells or alchemical products able of neutralizing the blight, uses of light, druidic, void, fel or shaman magics as weapons to counter it.

What solutions do you think that the Alliance should have found in the long time it had to do researches and work on how to fight these biological weapons ?

1. Fire: If the gas burns then the first thing to do is start throwing fire at it to explode the enemies.

2. Frost: If the gas isn't flammable then does freezing render it inert?

3. Gas masks: I don't know why gas masks work since half the time it's a sludge and half the time it's a gas that just melts by skin contact... But it seems to work most of the time, so the gnomes should've made some for Gnomeragan and mass produced blightproof ones for the Alliance.

4. Lightning: For when the Blight is a goo. Do Lightning to it with gnome tesla coils or Wildhammer storm it
    Twas brillig

Wearing anti-gas protection masks (which the gnomes can mass-produce as shown by their reconquest of Gnomeregan) when attacking their capital would be a start.

Beyond that, Jaina Proudmoore can single-handedly and effortlessly neutralize the Blight covering an entire battlefield in, like, 5 seconds.

So actually the Alliance has 0 problems in countering the blight, when the writers aren't biased against them and remember all the tools that they have in their arsenal (Gnomish anti-gas masks, Jaina's Ice powers).

Frankly the bigger problems are that...

1. The Blight is Boring

2. Blizz never really bothered to explain how it works and what makes it any more dangerous than say... A bunch of spellcasters or regular siege weapons.
    Twas brillig

Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    1. Fire: If the gas burns then the first thing to do is start throwing fire at it to explode the enemies.

2. Frost: If the gas isn't flammable then does freezing render it inert?

3. Gas masks: I don't know why gas masks work since half the time it's a sludge and half the time it's a gas that just melts by skin contact... But it seems to work most of the time, so the gnomes should've made some for Gnomeragan and mass produced blightproof ones for the Alliance.

4. Lightning: For when the Blight is a goo. Do Lightning to it with gnome tesla coils or Wildhammer storm it
    I could see the Gnomes making a machine that would "eat" the Blight and then convert it into something harmless, with a vacuum absorbing the Blight.

Or a spraying machine that would release a chemical or alchemical product that attacks the Blight.

I also imagined once that Dark Iron dwarves created special runes to make their cities liveable by absorbing the toxic gases and fumes caused by volcanic activity before they can enter the cities and be breathed by dwarven populaces. They could created modified versions to absord and neutralize the Blight.

That or have poison Golems such as Toxitron, of the Omnotron Defense System, be able of absorbing the plagues and other poisonous substances.

We know that frost works. Druid magic to push it back with strong wings should also work most of the time at least against long range deployment. But I don't see how you stop apothecaries spraying blight in short range behind literal meat shields (abominations); at that point you need to have time to establish mine fields. So use wind to keep it back, frost to keep it down and blow enemy forces from range. Ofc all of these can be countered.
    Last edited by Nymrohd; 2023-04-30 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Terrorthatflapsinthenight View Post
    I'll be totally honest, I have always found it very ridiculous and lazy from the writers' part, that since Wrath of the Lich King, during which Alliance first experienced and learned about the Blight made by Putress and the other biological weapons made by the Forsaken Apothecaries, that the Alliance didn't do anything to find weaknesses and counters to the Blight and other biological weapons whenever it's machines made by the Gnomes, spells or alchemical products able of neutralizing the blight, uses of light, druidic, void, fel or shaman magics as weapons to counter it.

What solutions do you think that the Alliance should have found in the long time it had to do researches and work on how to fight these biological weapons ?
    We know anything about its nature? How they made it? They use the big ant thing venom in Undercity, or various plants, they use magic? What we know about that plague?
    I know the new plague, the Forsaken Plague made by using the scourge plague, but the new one not bring the dead back, but how they made it?

10+ Year Old Account

1. The Blight is Boring

2. Blizz never really bothered to explain how it works and what makes it any more dangerous than say... A bunch of spellcasters or regular siege weapons.
    A weapon doesn't need to be more powerful. It's just needs to be cheap, easy to use, and effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    A weapon doesn't need to be more powerful. It's just needs to be cheap, easy to use, and effective.
    Where did I say anything about power?
    Twas brillig

Jaina. She's their resident deus ex machina against anything Horde.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where did I say anything about power?
    Ah, I meant more dangerous.

Ah, I meant more dangerous.
    Yeah but there's no signs the blight is cheap, easy, or effective given that it's so toxic it's even bad for the Forsaken.
    Twas brillig

1. The Blight is Boring

It could also be an occasion to make Gnomes alchemists and Night Elves druids of the Cenarion Circle, with the possible addition of Draenei, work together to make a potion that would neutralize the Blight and restore life to land.

10+ Year Old Account
    Deleting Tirisfal Glades via orbital strike. Destroy the blight AND the source of the problem

I would say what Lord Pebbleton mentioned. The Draenei and by extention the Alliance have the ability to Orbital Strike and teleportation through Space beacons. It would have been so one sided that the Fourth War would have been unable to happen because Sylvannas would have been dead via an orbital strike and the Night Elves defended by teleporting mass armies during the War of Thorns. The whole Fourth War should not have been possible if the devs did not ignore the lore they created in Legion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah but there's no signs the blight is cheap, easy, or effective given that it's so toxic it's even bad for the Forsaken.
    True on the part of there being no signs of the blight being cheap. However it's as easy to deploy like regular bombs, and nearly took out Alliance leaders if it weren't for Jaina.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth-Piekus View Post
    I would say what Lord Pebbleton mentioned. The Draenei and by extention the Alliance have the ability to Orbital Strike and teleportation through Space beacons. It would have been so one sided that the Fourth War would have been unable to happen because Sylvannas would have been dead via an orbital strike and the Night Elves defended by teleporting mass armies during the War of Thorns. The whole Fourth War should not have been possible if the devs did not ignore the lore they created in Legion.
    Honestly they kinda backed themselves into a corner when they gave Draenei a multi-millenia tech advantage over the rest of Azeroth back in BC. They pretty much have to either not use the Draenei or make them stupid when it comes to writing a story as the realistic outcome of most things would be "And then the Draenei showed up with magic space crystal weapons and beat everyone"

True on the part of there being no signs of the blight being cheap. However it's as easy to deploy like regular bombs, and nearly took out Alliance leaders if it weren't for Jaina.
    Yeah but only because of artificial stupidity, there's zero reason the Alliance would have attacked Undercity without blight countermeasures (They've used gas masks before, they have other frost mages, etc...) unless it was specifically to set the stage for Jaina's rescue due to writer induced nonsense.

The blight's only 'powerful' because everyone else is written to behave like they never thought the Forsaken would use it for some bizarre reason and there's been no consistent rules for the stuff.
    Twas brillig

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah but only because of artificial stupidity, there's zero reason the Alliance would have attacked Undercity without blight countermeasures (They've used gas masks before, they have other frost mages, etc...) unless it was specifically to set the stage for Jaina's rescue due to writer induced nonsense.

The blight's only 'powerful' because everyone else is written to behave like they never thought the Forsaken would use it for some bizarre reason and there's been no consistent rules for the stuff.
    There is certainly an element of that, but if you think about it in a realistic way, it's a great tool for a military. It's deployed similarly to a bomb, so it already decreases training time. It's not complicated to use, so anybody with working hands can set it off. Unlike a regular bomb its effects linger after the initial explosion.

Unlike in your earlier example, a group of spellcasters would require years of training.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth-Piekus View Post
    You really don't need to go that far. SI:7 had apparently infilitrated the Undercity already. Maybe instead of using your spies to harass civilians, place the same miniaturized explosives they used to blow up the Golden Fleet on Undercity's plague cannisters. Then instead of actually fighting, Anduin could have requested the Horde's surrender, given them until later to respond then blow up the Plague in their faces just like they burned Teldrassil.

As for Sylvanas, per the short stories it took a significant amount of effort for her to open a hole in the wisp wall for the army to pass through. And for some reason after erecting it, the Kaldorei abandoned it . . . Malf could have just stayed there hidden alongside any rangers they could find and the moment she was pinned under the wall just turn her into a pincushion while moonfiring her to dust.

The entirety of BfA was stupid.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    Honestly they kinda backed themselves into a corner when they gave Draenei a multi-millenia tech advantage over the rest of Azeroth back in BC. They pretty much have to either not use the Draenei or make them stupid when it comes to writing a story as the realistic outcome of most things would be "And then the Draenei showed up with magic space crystal weapons and beat everyone"
    Honestly rereading the Draenei lore, there was an absolutely valid excuse to why the Draenei might have been unable to assist anyone during the War of Thorns.
    O'ros.
    The Draenei suddenly had a dead Naaru in their hands since Legion. Those things are worse than bombs. By lore they would have had to focus on containing it immediately lest it grow into a Void God and start sucking the souls of everything in the vicinity. They could have went for that angle and explained the Draenei absence.
    Last edited by Nymrohd; 2023-05-25 at 11:20 AM.