Thread: 7800X3D & WoW

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

7800X3D & WoW

Hey all,
    I'm just wondering if anyone who regularly plays WoW has done so on a new 7800X3D build yet?
    If so, how's the performance? It's near impossible to find WoW benchmarks for new hardware, probably
    due to the nature of benchmarking an mmo? I've seen like one video about the 5800x3d

Anyway thanks!

Yes, its due to the extremely variable nature of MMOs making it basically impossible to do repeatable, consistent benchmarks.

The performance on almost anything reasonable from the past 5 years or so will be great in the areas where it can be great, and not that great in the areas where it'll never be great because of how WoW works.

There isn't a system on the planet that'll give you consistent 150fps in a 40-man outdoor raid, not because our hardware isn't powerful enough but because of how WoW is coded.

I upgraded from a i7-7700K + 2080ti to 7800X3D + 2080ti and basically saw FPS improvements from things that would be 20-30 fps --> 80-90 fps.

I know it is a massive CPU jump, (which is also why I upgraded) but it is a considerable improvement in performance for everything in WoW. I regularly hit my fps cap of 100 fps (100 hz monitor) in valdrakken, where as before I would get 30-40 fps.

I could show you video clips but forums doesn't let me post links.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    The performance on almost anything reasonable from the past 5 years or so will be great in the areas where it can be great, and not that great in the areas where it'll never be great because of how WoW works.

There isn't a system on the planet that'll give you consistent 150fps in a 40-man outdoor raid, not because our hardware isn't powerful enough but because of how WoW is coded.
    just to correct you on something, it has nothing to do with personal hardware that causes those issues, it is purely a networking issue and the fact that there isn't enough bandwidth to share the compute from the servers to your client and back again that causes that sort of performance hit, furthermore the added V-Cache on the X3d chips helps to alleviate some of that issue on the client side of things since WoW is still heavily CPU limited, if blizzard (and by extension the majority of the gaming industry) invested in upgrading and making networking and server side changes to match what 'modern day' hardware can achieve then much of these 'issues' wouldn't be issues anymore, but as with most things it wouldn't surprise me if blizzard were still using old xeon enterprise systems from like 10 years ago still.

Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    just to correct you on something, it has nothing to do with personal hardware that causes those issues, it is purely a networking issue and the fact that there isn't enough bandwidth to share the compute from the servers to your client and back again that causes that sort of performance hit, furthermore the added V-Cache on the X3d chips helps to alleviate some of that issue on the client side of things since WoW is still heavily CPU limited, if blizzard (and by extension the majority of the gaming industry) invested in upgrading and making networking and server side changes to match what 'modern day' hardware can achieve then much of these 'issues' wouldn't be issues anymore, but as with most things it wouldn't surprise me if blizzard were still using old xeon enterprise systems from like 10 years ago still.
    No doubt server-side hardware could improve things somewhat, but it's not the big bottleneck. The way WoW works architecturally is. They could change the code and whatnot, to be sure, but until they do, even if their servers were top of the line, you could easily construct events that run into similar bottlenecks simply because of all the calls and distance and... physics.

AFAIK, Blizz doesnt even use specific physical hardware anymore for a given server. Its all just a virtual machine on a giant cluster server.

Biggest advantage of X3D in WoW is that you can skip OC, expensive memory and memory tuning for it. It will still likely be faster than a max tuned non-X3D but not by much. But this is going from last gen numbers as I don't have access to X3D nor new gen CPUs and nobody does testing in WoW. Hardware Numb3rs used to but even he has stoped doing it.

I will soon if AMD could stop being dicks and supply Scandinavia with some of them...Ordered 1 hour after launch, and still haven't gotten mine...Called Komplett yesterday and now they fucking say 15 days more...ZZZzzz

Bad guy AMD...!! Whole system ready for long time, just need the CPU.

Anyway knew this would happen -,- To much hype and long-awaited + good price, its same price as 7700X due to saved electricity over 5-10 years. Also ppl have to much money where I live...7950X3D has been sold out since launch and never re-stocked!!!
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    I will soon if AMD could stop being dicks and supply Scandinavia with some of them...Ordered 1 hour after launch, and still haven't gotten mine...Called Komplett yesterday and now they fucking say 15 days more...ZZZzzz

Bad guy AMD...!! Whole system ready for long time, just need the CPU.

Anyway knew this would happen -,- To much hype and long-awaited + good price, its same price as 7700X due to saved electricity over 5-10 years. Also ppl have to much money where I live...7950X3D has been sold out since launch and never re-stocked!!!
    It usually isn't that bad. When I got my 5950x I got it delivered in a day after the launch. Might be something to do with Komplett. I can see if I ordered one now here I'd get it in 3 days as the next delivery to Jimms is happening on the 20th.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    It usually isn't that bad. When I got my 5950x I got it delivered in a day after the launch. Might be something to do with Komplett. I can see if I ordered one now here I'd get it in 3 days as the next delivery to Jimms is happening on the 20th.
    mmm =/ I hope so. Getting tired of it. Diablo 4 will come out before Im ready. First time ever I build a PC and now I just wanna know if I did it right etc. Also non-OC model of 4070ti model I bought has been available to buy since some weeks ago which means I could had saved money too.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post

More so to do with network latency than the game. It's the variability of the packet receive times and then code waiting on said packet arrival times that causes the dips.
    If you coded a scenario where you had instead of 100 players, 100NPCs in an area wearing the same shillz as the players would, I'd bet a lot of dough that your framerate will be A LOT better.

Ok hey guys again. Finally build is up. Had some problems with booting (Well a lot actually), but CPU should be fine. Actually bought a tray/oem 7800X3D just to get it faster, cause shit was sold out, after komplett shafted me.

It draws max 75-78 watts R23 10 min run. All stock latest bios most cores (no expo to be safe, news...) boost to 5 ghz, or like 4.8, with I think core 1 hitting 5.3 or even 5.5ghz. I hit max 85C with noctua nhd-15.

Im not subbed to wow atm, so in Darnasus on bank alt free trial all settings cranked I get like 300 FPS. With ray-tracing on 4070ti and 32GB 4800 mhz (again no expo) its like 150 FPS. This is standing still or so with no ppl around.

Massive performance, but I do imagine no system can crank WoW in raids...Any 4090 owners gonna chim in?
    Anyway Ill likely soon start playing Dragonflight. I cap my FPS to screen hz anyway so pointless high FPS just gives more coil whine, heat and power bill.

Anyway my 4th gen I5, 970 was still fine enough in Shadowlands minus raiding. But this is huge jump obviously.
    Last edited by Djuntas; 2023-04-28 at 07:30 PM.

“With no one around”

Thats why. Lots of other players being around is what cripples performance. Im not saying its going to suck, but its not going to be like that with 60+ people on screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    Ok hey guys again. Finally build is up. Had some problems with booting (Well a lot actually), but CPU should be fine. Actually bought a tray/oem 7800X3D just to get it faster, cause shit was sold out, after komplett shafted me.

It draws max 75-78 watts R23 10 min run. All stock latest bios most cores (no expo to be safe, news...) boost to 5 ghz, or like 4.8, with I think core 1 hitting 5.3 or even 5.5ghz. I hit max 85C with noctua nhd-15.

Im not subbed to wow atm, so in Darnasus on bank alt free trial all settings cranked I get like 300 FPS. With ray-tracing on 4070ti and 32GB 4800 mhz (again no expo) its like 150 FPS. This is standing still or so with no ppl around.

Massive performance, but I do imagine no system can crank WoW in raids...Any 4090 owners gonna chim in?
    Anyway Ill likely soon start playing Dragonflight. I cap my FPS to screen hz anyway so pointless high FPS just gives more coil whine, heat and power bill.

Anyway my 4th gen I5, 970 was still fine enough in Shadowlands minus raiding. But this is huge jump obviously.
    Pretty much..

These new pieces of hardware nowadays are all insanely good and well good enough for whatever you're doing in WoW.
    You just can't get any of them to run butter smooth in a crowded area because of the reasons that were mentioned before.

Enjoy the game and have fun. Just idk, disable RT and lower shadows, should be fine in general.

Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    just to correct you on something, it has nothing to do with personal hardware that causes those issues, it is purely a networking issue and the fact that there isn't enough bandwidth to share the compute from the servers to your client and back again that causes that sort of performance hit.
    Lack of bandwidth problem will show up as lag/packetloss (aka the stuff you commonly see at the launch of new season/expansion) but not frame rate problem. Frame rate is purely based on hardware. But of course if your game is lagging, you get a lot of guys freezing and running in place, but you can still experience that at high frame rate.

Its hard to benchmark it because there is no synthetic benchmark. I had 124 fps in Valdrakken with not a lot going on, 90 fps when it was quite busy. I still think thats really good. CPU boosts to 5ghz, but not higher, not sure how someone got 5.5ghz, good bin i guess. Temps are low, way below 100 degreas, more lik emax 70-80, but i do have a 360mm AIO and fans are low, max 1000rpm, so temps can be lower but i prefer silence. Also a 4070 ti, i wanted to go higher but felt like i'd wait for the 5x series or 8x series.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    AFAIK, Blizz doesnt even use specific physical hardware anymore for a given server. Its all just a virtual machine on a giant cluster server.
    explains why the game runs shittier every xpac

Quote Originally Posted by Huzzaa View Post
    Pretty much..

These new pieces of hardware nowadays are all insanely good and well good enough for whatever you're doing in WoW.
    You just can't get any of them to run butter smooth in a crowded area because of the reasons that were mentioned before.

Enjoy the game and have fun. Just idk, disable RT and lower shadows, should be fine in general.
    Yeah I doubt WoW's implementation of ray tracing is very noticeable anyway. But since Im not subbed I cant confirm 100% how good it is, but seems like I can expect 144 hz with ray tracing maxed. CPU usage ain't even very high standing in Darnasus. WoW is to easy a game to run obviously.

Anyway in terms of benchmarking when I get to it Ill just pick a fly route, and do that 1-2 times and sort of watch the numbers, it good enough. Or hell look into the ground.

...Actually what I really wanna test is Southshore brawl when 80v80 clash. That is nightmare fuel for any system I guess. When is the next SS brawl coming lol.

Quote Originally Posted by jkq View Post
    explains why the game runs shittier every xpac
    ... not how that works.

Instead of being limited to the physical hardware of a single server, it can expand to use as much hardware as it needs.