Page 47 of 77 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I dont think it has something to do with FFXIV, but moreso that some people get corrupted by power and think they're more important than the actually are. Pretty sure that guy imagined that the rest of the comm would stand by him as his tool is oh so important.

But that's something i see everywhere in life: work colleagues who think they're too important to ever get fired. HOA presidents who think they're second in line after the actual president. Or to take the classical MMO example: the tyrannical guild lead.

Don't think it has anything particular to do with FFXIV

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    I dont think it has something to do with FFXIV, but moreso that some people get corrupted by power and think they're more important than the actually are. Pretty sure that guy imagined that the rest of the comm would stand by him as his tool is oh so important.

But that's something i see everywhere in life: work colleagues who think they're too important to ever get fired. HOA presidents who think they're second in line after the actual president. Or to take the classical MMO example: the tyrannical guild lead.

Yep, those are everywhere.
    I don't remember which game exactly it was, i think Team Fortress 2 or Garrys Mod (a source game, anyways), but it also had a modder with a godcomplex that then went to replace his entire code with "fuck valve" everywhere when something didn't go his way.

Pic related basically summed it up for me. Except it's not making beautiful characters but making a tool a lot of people use to take pictures of their characters.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post

But this is also some of it. I don't think FFXIV particularly fosters it, just the fact that FFXIV has a bigger social focus than a lot of other games and therefore pulls in a lot of people who want to be seen and want to be a big deal. Social communities + gated discord groups + broken ego and a pathological need for validation

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    [
    But this is also some of it. I don't think FFXIV particularly fosters it, just the fact that FFXIV has a bigger social focus than a lot of other games and therefore pulls in a lot of people who want to be seen and want to be a big deal. Social communities + gated discord groups + broken ego and a pathological need for validation
    Then it's not a game problem - it's a player problem. FF14 just happens to have become the platform of choice for this group of people.

You can safely just ignore them and go ahead with your gameplay.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Dungeon finder stops dropping upgrades about five minutes after you hit max level. The design is clearly, obviously, painfully, in your face, giant font, red letters, screaming, yelling, pointing, flashing lights, telling you to go do M+ if you like dungeons. If you think that the design intent of Blizzard is that Mythic dungeons are only for hardcore players, I don't really know what to tell you. It's like denying a neon sign flashing in front of you exists.

LFR is one of the worst designed experiences Blizzard has ever put together. It's a tourist mode, made so players can quickly see the bosses. It's a too slow of a reward path, it doesn't require individuals to engage with mechanics, and it's just really bad all around. It's certainly a better example than dungeon finder, but when the content is as mind-numbingly poorly designed as LFR, it isn't making a very strong point for your case.
    The problem is you're not understanding how important queued content is for casuals. It's not the difficulty, it's the ability to go in, join a queue, and be in a dungeon or raid in 5-20 minutes. While in the queue, I can be working on quests, crafting, or other solo content while waiting for my turn in the group content. If I want to do non queued content, I have to sit there, going through menu's applying to groups until someone accepts me. This could take a couple minutes, it could take an hour. And if I do get in a group, and for some reason someone leaves, or is removed, we now have to stop and replace that person instead of letting the queue replace that member for us.

I don't want to speak for the entire casual populations, but for me, and from what I've read, for a lot of other casuals, the line is the queued versus non queued content.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Then it's not a game problem - it's a player problem. FF14 just happens to have become the platform of choice for this group of people.

You can safely just ignore them and go ahead with your gameplay.
    Well, yeah. I wasn't trying to imply that it's something that will inhibit your regular gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Resiak View Post
    The problem is you're not understanding how important queued content is for casuals. It's not the difficulty, it's the ability to go in, join a queue, and be in a dungeon or raid in 5-20 minutes. While in the queue, I can be working on quests, crafting, or other solo content while waiting for my turn in the group content. If I want to do non queued content, I have to sit there, going through menu's applying to groups until someone accepts me. This could take a couple minutes, it could take an hour. And if I do get in a group, and for some reason someone leaves, or is removed, we now have to stop and replace that person instead of letting the queue replace that member for us.

I don't want to speak for the entire casual populations, but for me, and from what I've read, for a lot of other casuals, the line is the queued versus non queued content.
    well, for me it's a bit like this yes, but not only. sure I hate to lose my time trying to get a group only for it to explode as one people leave, and then you have to start from scratch.

but more than that, I don't like challenging boss, with waaay too much HP, just to have stronger stuff.
    the difference in player power is not enough to force me to go through that torture that are high level raids. (I'd add pvp to that too, I'd rather have tooth aches...)
    on that note, it is named "savage" for english, but in french, it is "sadist", and it really represent what I think about this!
    some people like challenge to surpass and all, it's good, the game must have some content for everyone.
    normal/brutal is plenty enough for me, I'd rather work on leveling all my jobs, glams, old relics and the likes

I'm very confused as to why you think you were disagreeing with me.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeenith View Post
    on that note, it is named "savage" for english, but in french, it is "sadist", and it really represent what I think about this!
    Haha, good one. :'D
    It kinda makes sense. Lore wise, savage and extreme primals are always some kind of "simulation" or "dream" or just plain our favorite Bard telling the story Klingon-style.

That being said: with a good group of people, progressing raids such as savage can be quite fun (if you are into scheduled play, that is).
    Working together to overcome a challenge is entertaining, although every raid has it's moments of frustration.

Bloodsail Admiral
    1+ Year Old Account

I think the solution is fairly simple. Dungeons give gear at the same ilvl as the previous tier's savage gear. Add weapon drops to the dungeons at the same ilvl.

This gives a smooth progression curve for each patch. For 6.3, as an example:

Fell Court of Troia: ilvl 600

Abyssos Normal, Crafted sets: ilvl 610

Storm's Crown Ex: ilvl 615, weapons only

Baseline limited tome gear: ilvl 620

Augmented tome gear, savage gear: ilvl 630 (ilvl 635 savage weapon)

The ilvl of dungeon gear increases by 15 every patch. So Lapis Manalis would drop ilvl 615 equipment, 6.4 dungeon ilvl 630 (crafted and normals ilvl 640), and so on. Dungeons are always 10 ilvls behind the newest set of crafted and normal gear, so they are never a *replacement* for those gear sets. They simply exist to ensure that even the most casual of players have a smaller gap in stats to compensate for if they want to break into Ex or Savage play. You can leave alliance raids as-is, most likely, as they are explicitly designed for catching up, and they are limited to one drop per week while they are "relevant content." XIV already indicated they don't care about "muh raid gear obsolete!" by designing normals and crafted sets to be +10 ilvls over the previous savage gear, so whining about gear obsoletion is a non-issue.

Unlimited tomestones would be the previous tier's baseline tome gear, so I guess in a sense that gear becomes meaningless, but I guess I don't see that as an issue. The point of a new patch is to get people to play that new patch's content, right?

I'd also have variant dungeons drop equivalent ilvl gear, or tokens that can be traded for that gear. Savage lets you get a single piece of ilvl 630 per week (final boss only), ex lets you get a twine or whatever per week (not weapon augment, final boss only), normal drops an extra batch of normal raid gear tokens per week (one per boss.)
    Last edited by Grinning Serpent; 2023-02-22 at 12:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    In 2021 my AMD RX 570 began to malfunction and I began experiencing GPU crashes for certain games under certain circumstances. For FFXIV the GPU would crash if there was a cutscene and the camera had a closeup shot of a visual effect such as an Ascian teleport, or the Blashemy transformations, or Meteion's black swirls in Ultima Thule, or the Void portal towards the end of patch 6.1. I upgraded to a Nvidia RTX 3070 and haven't had any problems since.
    Spoke too soon. I just had my first big crash. I had stuttering/low framerate in Dohn Mheg. Found a fix involved turning Tessellation to low. Didn't fix the issues I was having with the black swirlies. Found that I also had the stuttering in Porta Decumana (MSQ Ultima Weapon trial). Didn't get it from the Ascian teleports, but from the ship crashing attack UW uses in the second fight. Literally nothing else in the game besides the Ultima Thule swirlies and that attack causes my framerate to drop like that. Anyways, artifacts appeared on display - squares arranged in diagonal lines across display, everything froze, screen went black then when it came back up FFXIV was closed, and AMD bug report popped up. So far no issues, haven't started FFXIV back up or opened anything besides Chrome.

Haven't played New World, literally only have WoW, GW2, FFXIV, and some Pokemon fangames on this PC.

This reddit thread is roughly like my issues - certain things in certain areas of the game cause horrible framerate and now a crash - nothing else in the game or in any other games I play cause this.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comme...king_for_help/
    Last edited by Auxis; 2023-02-22 at 12:22 PM.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

I think it's funny how difficult it is to BUY ffxiv from the Mog Station. I recall the platform refusing to accept my payment multiple times, and I don't think the problem had anything to do with my card. I can't really remember what got in the way, but I know that several of my friends also experienced similar issues when they attempted to purchase the game. It was wild how hard I had to work so that I can give a major corporation my money.

Ive been playing 14 main-stream for 5 years now and ill admit that as time went on the main critqiue im going to say is, content went from being constant and streamed in larger chunks to being significantly lessened and the trickle of content has started to hurt 14 for sure in my eyes.

Going from a 3 month patch cycle to a 4 month patch cycle may have been for the benefit of the team, not an inhuman thing to do, but the actual reason I believe, is that they are trying to focus their energies on working on 16.

With 16 on the horizon I can only hope that once its fully released 14's patch cycle slowly returns to normality or that the content in each patch feels more substantial. The problem with things as is, is that we've waited forever for very drip-fed content, and the current 6.X series is less focused on a 14 origional story and more a giant omage to another FF game which feels pretty much like a mini version of shadowlands, and the jailor, its a plot that feels like its going nowhere of relevence and nothing particularly grand or epic will come of it.

Now, 14 has always been able to give you a more believable scope than wow for comparison, but atm, it feels like the threat in the 6.X patch cycle is ... more like Warlords of Draenor's Iron Horde, you kinda dont really feel threatened, you feel like its nothing of significant importance beyond it being a filler.

This btw, is me trying to avoid any spoilers for people that havent played.

I do wnat to say, 14's story for those that havent played is still its greatest pillar and that the 6.X story itself isnt inherantly bad? Its just paced badly.

There is a rush to the payoff in the upcomming may chapter which feels rushed cause we've only had 3 patches to really bulid up on it and of those 3 chapters, the first 3 felt very quick as if everything went suddenly but nothing really happened?

The objective of the story is clear, and what it wants us to do and to achieve, but it just feels... somehow meaningless, in my eyes, 14's first real L point since 5.4 and 5.5 which imho felt like the weakest of shadowbringers patch cycle storylines vs the climactic 5.3 which was absoleutley amazing.

Who knows? 6.4 Could be a damn good finale to whats setup and 6.5 could be a good setup to whats to come, but at this point, it feels... rushed which is ironic, because we've waited a long time for what feels like very little.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    Now, 14 has always been able to give you a more believable scope than wow for comparison, but atm, it feels like the threat in the 6.X patch cycle is ... more like Warlords of Draenor's Iron Horde, you kinda dont really feel threatened, you feel like its nothing of significant importance beyond it being a filler.
    Makes sense.
    We have dealt with the threat on the universal scale. Everything that now follows will feel "small" and "rather low stakes" by comparison.
    It's okay. You can't throw one world-ender after another at people.

As for the patch cycle: it is noticeable, aye. I do hope they accelerate a little as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Makes sense.
    We have dealt with the threat on the universal scale. Everything that now follows will feel "small" and "rather low stakes" by comparison.
    It's okay. You can't throw one world-ender after another at people.

As for the patch cycle: it is noticeable, aye. I do hope they accelerate a little as well.
    Maybe it's time to kill the WoL? Would help reset the threat level. WoL is an absolute monster and a certain Ascian trick in Garlemald did a really good job of demonstrating that.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Selah View Post
    Maybe it's time to kill the WoL? Would help reset the threat level.
    Imagine telling your playerbase that you will delete their character because 'too op'
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    Imagine telling your playerbase that you will delete their character because 'too op'
    wasn't the WoL supposed to lose some of the blessing of light from Hydaelyn, after we beat her ?

maybe we used most of that power to kill the last boss (+zenos), like we gathered a lot of light ether beating the bosses in ShadowBringer, but we used all of it to finish Hades ?

sure we will stay a pretty strong warrior/mage, but in the lore, we would come back down to a more normal level.

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    Nah, not deleting anyone's character. WoL is a character in the story, things can happen in the story that aren't reflected in real time. Given how their lore works, WoL could die, and then the next scene in the story is the new (reincarnated) WoL who just hit adventuring age that just happens to look exactly like our characters.

Nah, not deleting anyone's character. WoL is a character in the story, things can happen in the story that aren't reflected in real time. Given how their lore works, WoL could die, and then the next scene in the story is the new (reincarnated) WoL who just hit adventuring age that just happens to look exactly like our characters.
    Or just have an event that strips all of our power, or even hit us with amnesia on top of that. Not like lore and gameplay power need to reflect each other

7+ Year Old Account
    So. Basically killing your character who you might have attachment to and maybe roleplayed with

Thats a terrible idea for an mmo, honestly
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.