Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Why are "Anti Science" beliefs more common among America's young people?

This
    https://twitter.com/TheJordanRachel/...DTsbDt0dIsAAAA

is not true
    https://allianceforscience.org/blog/...g-get-over-it/

This is embarrassing. I thought America's young people were better than this.

I hope the next generation of American youth has the "Faith of the Heart".

I hope they support nuclear power, GMOs, Vaccines, and space programs. I hope they find astronauts more exciting and inspiring than "Celebrities" and "Professional Athletes". I hope they are more excited about pushing humanity forward than with vapid materialism and identity politics.

America is due for another cultural shift.

[citation needed]

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    I hope the next generation of American youth has the "Faith of the Heart"
    I'll never forgive Enterprise for using that dumbass song instead of just going with Archer's theme... "Faith" is the antithesis of this shit, and a big reason anti-science garbage gets perpetuated in the first place.

7+ Year Old Account
    More like, why are anti-science beliefs more common among America's conservative people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because science has more recently been used and misused as an argument for everything. To the point for too many it’s become meaningless.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Because science has more recently been used and misused as an argument for everything. To the point for too many it’s become meaningless.
    And other fearmongering talking points that conservatives push.

10+ Year Old Account
    "science" is not a thing that can be misused; science is simply a process of determining what is factual and what is false, as near as such things can be declared, via the testing of hypotheses and the accumulation of data. Science is the gathering of information.

For instance, someone claiming that vaccines give you 5G or that COVID is a liberal conspiracy is not using "science." They are using the exact opposite of that; claiming things with zero evidence based entirely upon their own opinion upon what they want to be true, rather than what any actual evidence shows. Someone claiming that science doesn't show that humans are causing climate change is not using "science." They are subjectively looking at evidence that suits their narrative, rather than evidence that has withstood testing and analysis.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    "science" is not a thing that can be misused; science is simply a process of determining what is factual and what is false, as near as such things can be declared, via the testing of hypotheses and the accumulation of data. Science is the gathering of information.

For instance, someone claiming that vaccines give you 5G or that COVID is a liberal conspiracy is not using "science." They are using the exact opposite of that; claiming things with zero evidence based entirely upon their own opinion upon what they want to be true, rather than what any actual evidence shows. Someone claiming that science doesn't show that humans are causing climate change is not using "science." They are subjectively looking at evidence that suits their narrative, rather than evidence that has withstood testing and analysis.

No that isn’t what science is. Science is simply just knowledge. Which is why it’s a process based on evidence whose conclusions can change.

However using it as some sort of tool that can never be wrong or lead to the wrong conclusions. Is in large part why we have silly stupid conspiracy’s such as what you mentioned.

There’s a fine line between being told something and understanding how something works.

This is embarrassing. I thought America's young people were better than this.
    I don't think it's the young people, it's the 30 and up people that are being idiots, unfortunatly they have started to pop up where I live as well.

But the US has historically been anti-intellectual so it's not really something new.

Give an example please.
    Last edited by diller; 2023-05-09 at 08:18 AM.

No that isn’t what science is. Science is simply just knowledge. Which is why it’s a process based on evidence whose conclusions can change.
    Please, never talk about what Science is again.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    science
    noun
    sci·​ence ˈsī-ən(t)s
    Synonyms of science
    a
    : knowledge or a system of knowledge covering general truths or the operation of general laws especially as obtained and tested through scientific method
    b
    : such knowledge or such a system of knowledge concerned with the physical world and its phenomena : NATURAL SCIENCE

That’s it that’s all it is period. Anything more or added to this isn’t science at all.

CmdrShep2154 thread...please.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't think that's true that young people are more anti-science than older people.

One thing that a lot of people don't understand is that science only consists of testable knowledge about the physical world, which means science cannot determine human socio-cultural values which effect your view on politics and government. So even when two people have all of the best scientific knowledge that is available that still doesn't mean that they will agree on politics, culture, and government even if they have the exact same scientific knowledge and respect for science.
    Last edited by PC2; 2023-05-09 at 03:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Name literally one meaningful thing.

- - - Updated - - -

science
    noun
    sci·​ence ˈsī-ən(t)s
    Synonyms of science
    a
    : knowledge or a system of knowledge covering general truths or the operation of general laws especially as obtained and tested through scientific method
    b
    : such knowledge or such a system of knowledge concerned with the physical world and its phenomena : NATURAL SCIENCE

That’s it that’s all it is period. Anything more or added to this isn’t science at all.
    Using dictionary definitions to flailingly defend your willful ignorance isn't gonna help you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    One thing that a lot of people don't understand is that science only consists of testable knowledge about the physical world
    This is trivially false, since plenty of science deals with things like energy which aren't physical. Hence the distinction between "physical science" and fields like biology.

which means science cannot determine human socio-cultural values
    Literally the only reason this escapes being "scientific" is that culturally, we deem experimenting on other human beings to be unethical. So we can't meaningfully conduct direct testing.

If we could, then this would absolutely be "science" as much as anything else. It's a question of our ethical limits, not practical limits.

And there's a lot you can assess by observation via historical analysis and records, which is how anthropology and history work as fields. Again, only not a proper "science" because we don't let ourselves conduct human experimentation.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought America's young people were better than this.
    One tweet does not sum up an entire generation.
    Princesses can kill knights to rescue dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    This is trivially false, since plenty of science deals with things like energy which aren't physical. Hence the distinction between "physical science" and fields like biology.
    Uh... Energy is physical. E=mc² is like...the most famous equation in all of physics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Uh... Energy is physical. E=mc² is like...the most famous equation in all of physics.
    Energy and matter are still distinct states. Which is the point of that equation. I point again to the "physical sciences" which also separate from a bunch of other scientific fields. Saying "Science is about the physical world" is overly reductive, is the point, especially if you're trying to distinguish it from things like human cultural expressions, which are very much a part of that physical world anyway.

People support science (and treat it like a religion instead of a process) whenever it confirms their priors and dismiss science when it doesn't. Everyone is guilty of doing this pretty much all the time.*

Not exactly knew information!

*this conclusion brought to you by social science, the most laughable science
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

10+ Year Old Account
    Another “successful” CmdrShp thread it looks like. You guys can’t help yourselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    this conclusion brought to you by social science, the most laughable science
    People who say this are usually those with little to no grasp of any of the social sciences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    This
    I hope they support nuclear power
    There is no need to support a generally over the top use of energy unless it's for a specific need. People being too lazy or unwilling to go with more sustainable and renewable energy shouldn't qualify. No nuclear anything is 100% safe and the chance that something goes wrong, can't be undone.

GMOs
    Are nonsense just like buzzwords such as processed, everything has a process and nothing humans have eaten over the last 100 years or so isn't Genetically Modified, and food that isn't "GMO" can be just as dangerous and deadly. Athletes that are in what some consider are in peak physical condition, eat nothing but healthy and often drop dead of the same diseases such as cancer, diabetes and most common heart diseases.

Vaccines
    It's real simple Vaccines fucking work period. Nothing is 100% Even the Polio Vaccine could fail and could potentially kill you, but so too can Tylenol if you're allergic. No the government is NOT innocent and YES there is a good track record not to trust in my opinion THE GOVERNMENT per say. But vaccines for Covid WORK!

People getting tattoos and eating fast food along with almost every drug under the sun including ones not even regulated, aren't suddenly more trusted than actual doctors and scientist who developed a drug or vaccines that go through some of the strictest for safety ever. Covid Sars Was not NEW, the variation for Covi-19 was more recent, they developed a vaccine because the science was always their. And Risk is ALWAYS part of everything. If you Understand Science you don't just TRUST the vaccine is safe and saved lives, YOU KNOW

, and space programs.
    Huge waste of fucking time and more importantly resources, especially considering.

1. It isn't logical or reasonable, there is NO place other than Earth that is sustainable or capable of life. We can't make them capable of life, we can't even stop turning the earth in to toxic shit.

2. It's a waste of time and resources that would be better spend solving the problems on earth before we decide to spread ourselves to unknown.

3. If one of the greatest minds of our time basically says "Yeah contacting life outside of our planet might be a BAD IDEA, I am going to believe him) Human beings don't have a great track record with other cultures and races. We are completely unprepared for anything that might be outside of our scope of intelligence.

I hope they find astronauts more exciting and inspiring than "Celebrities" and "Professional Athletes". I hope they are more excited about pushing humanity forward than with vapid materialism and identity politics.

America is due for another cultural shift.
    I would agree with this, but I would say Scientist, real scientist, farmers, doctors, those that have been guardians of human survival for almost ever. However a cultural shift, you describe is going the other way.

It's primarily why we have shit like Life Coaches, MLM Crypto Bullshit, and Medicine call Holistic medicine that includes people gibberish and nonsense. Like Energy Crystals, Positive THINKING flat out scams as part of people.

The collective I.Q at least has been dropping recently but the main problem we have which leads directly to our decline is STUPIDITY, STUPIDITY kills more people than ANYTHING.

Stupidity, have NOTHING to do with intelligence, and everything to do with choice, Knowing the difference between what is right and wrong, what you should and shouldn't do and doing the wrong thing or the thing you shouldn't do. Everyone is guilty of that.

We like celebrities, we want to believe people we like know what's best' and are correct. The problem is that isn't how any of that work.

Many of the people INTERESTED in Space and Science most often times have ZERO idea how it works, just like Justice or Medicine.

It's a CUTE idea Star Trek, or TV SHOWS etc, however the reality not.

Real Science WORKS, but it's boring and takes a long time to work, and it isn't glamourous same is true of Medicine, we don't have a cure for Cancer in part because of politics but mostly because Cancer is difficult to treat, and it often times is related to that humans and their decisions ALL of them that is a huge contributing factor.

Steve Jobs, Boa Biden, Elvis, real people die of cancer and disease Powerful, Rich it doesn't matter, you don't lost your fight with a disease like Cancer it doesn't matter how POSITIVE you are.

Lastly the reason Spots and Entertainment are so popular is because they are a distraction because the truth is DESPIRE OUR IDEAS, the Reality is progress takes work and sacrifice. And in a world where most people will Boycott Shit like Budweiser or Disney over stupid shit, and they can't even DO those things.

Nah Science can't save us, we know better the information is available, we actively makes choices good or bad, and until we make better choices, there is no chance of it getting better. At least not for most.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2023-05-09 at 05:38 PM.