Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    I don't like the framing of the article that companies tend to keep silent about political stuff. They sure as hell DONT, just usually their focus is on purely economic issues.
    Corporations love Republican Tax cuts, but pandering/appealing to Democratic social issues makes them more money and makes their work force happier. Companies are out to make money, and while the average CEO can be kind of a self-centered idiot, they - usually - have enough people with actual brains and ears to the ground making decisions and to know what demographics to appeal to to make the most money they can.

Like if appealing to core republican 'anti-woke' values made them more money than the mix of 'not rocking the boat' and 'token displays of progressiveness' most are engaged in now, then they'd be all on it. So even if Disney's Corporate leaders don't believe in any of this stuff, enough folks who work for them and enough folks who give them money do that it's a financial benefit to pander.

But, even if it's a disingenuous sentiment, it's still protected by the first amendment and the stupid justifications for punishing them are the equivilent of making law to raise taxes on single men named 'David O'Connor' because one guy named David O'connor called DeSantis a silly ninny. Technically the law says it's not punishing that one guy but it's clearly obvious what the intent is especially after an exhaustive public and written history of citing that insult as the reason why the law was being made.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wall Street sours on DeSantis as Trump challenger

DeSantis’ gubernatorial reelection campaign is still loaded with cash, giving him big advantages over possible competitors. But many now say he no longer seems so formidable — at least on Wall Street.

His escalation of a feud with the Walt Disney Co. over its opposition to what critics called the “don’t say gay” law has made for a rocky rollout to an expected presidential campaign announcement in the coming weeks. On April 26, the company announced it was suing DeSantis, saying he violated its First Amendment rights — which will force him to do battle with one of his state’s largest employers in federal court.

It was “‘wait and see,’ and this is why,” said an adviser to one top GOP donor in New York, who like others interviewed for this story was granted anonymity to avoid alienating candidates. “We’re not the only ones who are happy with our decision to wait and see.”

With Trump surging in the polls following his indictment on criminal charges stemming from alleged hush money payments, one executive at a New York bank said confidence in DeSantis’s ability to win is flagging.

“DeSantis is certainly a better option than Trump at this point,” the executive said. “But he’s a really weak option.”
    I'm sure Wall Street can dry their tears with the permanent tax cuts Trump handed them. Until then, it is worth noting that, yep, people whose fortune is based on gambling on the future, who saw DeSantis, and who waited, seem to have a stronger hand.

Also, watching DeSantis slam down on Disney probably didn't help. Yes, they might have disagreed with Disney's take on the topic, but a large company is probably not thrilled when an authoritarian tries to shut them down for their opinion. The fact that he's failing hard isn't a redeeming factor here.

I have not had a chance to read it yet.

Disney expands lawsuit against DeSantis after governor signs bill to void land deals

Also, CFTOD lawsuit against Disney in the state court was reassigned to a different judge without explanation. All scheduled hearings were scrapped and will have to be rescheduled.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Also, CFTOD lawsuit against Disney in the state court was reassigned to a different judge without explanation.
    Probably conflict of interest. Between Disney and the governor, a lot of judges could be in the same boat.

EDIT: Also you missed nothing. It's a "Breaking News" paragraph. Headline says it all for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    I have not had a chance to read it yet.

Disney expands lawsuit against DeSantis after governor signs bill to void land deals

Also, CFTOD lawsuit against Disney in the state court was reassigned to a different judge without explanation. All scheduled hearings were scrapped and will have to be rescheduled.
    It talks about DeSantis voiding their land deals with legislation.

I believe I know the legislation they are talking about but they don't actually void the land deals because they can't be applied retroactively, they would only apply to new deals from the current and future board members.

But I see where they are coming from and it does give Disney new ammo against them because the intent behind it and the fact they would have to break the state and national constitutions if they tried to actually apply it like they want to.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    because they can't be applied retroactively
    Um...isn't Florida trying literally that?

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Um...isn't Florida trying literally that?
    Yes and no, they wanted to try just that this entire time but never could because they were waiting legislation they could try to use for cover.

Now, they have that legislation and will be actually trying to overturn stuff they legally can't.

All the other stuff before this was still DeSantis trying to attack Disney, but they were either trying to replace the board with their people or flat out dissolve them. This will be their first actual attempt to retroactively change agreements.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    DeSantis says Trump deploying ‘Democrat attacks’ on Social Security, Medicare

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) accused Trump of deploying “Democrat attacks” against him over his past support for changes to entitlement programs as the governor considers joining Trump in the 2024 primary.

“Those are Democrat attacks, I don’t think anyone really buys that,” DeSantis said Friday in an interview with Newsmax. “Donald Trump himself wrote a book where he was talking about the need to increase the age of eligibility for Social Security to 70.”
    Man, I love how well the Republican Party is getting along.

10+ Year Old Account

What we need is a demonstrable rift, though. An utter falling out between the republican estblishment and Trump.

Because until then, no matter what nasty names they call one another, no matter what sorts of political failings they point out, no matter how ineffective they assert their political rival's actions to be... 2016 and onwards has demonstrated quite unequivocally that they will always congeal like slime around the party-chosen candidate.

If Trump is allowed to run, the GOP and Desantis will fall in line. If the GOP somehow acclimates Trump to the idea that Desantis is the candidate and Trump gives his "blessing" to his insane base, they will fall in line with Desantis.

What we need is Trump to not be the candidate but to have been convinced that he was thwarted of his rightful place as it and fight tooth and nail to turn his base against Desantis.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

On Newsmax, eh? Is he slumming it or have Fox bookers forgotten his cell #?

https://apnews.com/article/disney-de...db765b4a7896fc

Before allies of Gov. Ron DeSantis took over, Disney World’s governing district, which at the time was controlled by Disney supporters, reached an agreement in February with the company to prohibit a long list of businesses from ever being operated on its property.

Forbidden establishments included tattoo parlors, liquor stores, adult entertainment, oil refineries and trailer parks. But they didn’t include prisons, which the Florida governor recently mused could be built there, when talking in a trolling tone about his year-long feud with the entertainment giant.

“What should we do with this land? And so, you know, it’s like, OK, kids — I mean, people have said, you know, maybe have another — maybe create a state park. Maybe try to do more amusement parks. Someone even said, like, maybe you need another state prison,” DeSantis said last month. “Who knows? I mean, I just think that the possibilities are endless.”

The agreement, which the DeSantis allies say stripped them of power by giving Disney control of design and construction of the theme park resort, is at the center of dueling lawsuits between the DeSantis-appointed board and Disney, as well as a new law seeking to rescind the deal that the Republican-controlled Florida Legislature passed last week.

Among the wide-ranging businesses prohibited by the agreement were establishments that sell X-rated items, gun stores or ranges, bowling alleys, hotels, lumberyards, massage parlors, head shops, nursing homes, marijuana dispensaries, doctors’ offices and anything taller than four stories.

The board of the governing district, made up of DeSantis allies since March, met Wednesday to approve a new district administrator, hire the previous administrator as a special advisor and authorize a new method for enforcing codes or rules that could be used to fine Disney for violations.

The new administrator, Glenton Gilzean, previously served as president and CEO of the Central Florida Urban League and will get a $400,000 salary in his new job. He said he was enthusiastic about efforts by the district to support affordable housing for Disney workers, many of whom struggle to make ends meet, and proposed a new study on the impact of the millions of tourists who visit Disney on the resources of surrounding communities.

“My job is to make this district, and in turn, this entire region, a much better place,” Gilzean said.

Disney and DeSantis have been engaged in a tug-of-war for more than a year that has engulfed the GOP governor in criticism as he prepares to launch an expected presidential bid in the coming weeks.

The fight began last year after Disney, beset by significant pressure both internally and externally, publicly opposed a state law that bans classroom lessons on sexual orientation and gender identity in early grades, a policy critics call “Don’t Say Gay.”

As punishment, DeSantis took over Disney World’s self-governing district through legislation passed by Florida lawmakers and appointed a new board of supervisors that would oversee municipal services for the sprawling theme parks and hotels. But before the new board came in, the company made agreements with members of the previous oversight board that stripped the new supervisors of their authority when it comes to design and construction.

Disney sued DeSantis and the five-member board two weeks ago, asking a federal judge to void the governor’s takeover of the theme park district, as well as the oversight board’s actions, on the grounds that they were violations of company’s free speech rights.

The board sued Disney last week in state court in an effort to maintain its control of construction and design at Disney World. It claimed the agreements between the company and previous board members “reek of a backroom deal.”

The creation of Disney’s self-governing district by the Florida Legislature was instrumental in the company’s decision in the 1960s to build near Orlando. The company had told the state at the time that it planned to build a futuristic city that would include a transit system and urban planning innovations, so the company needed autonomy in building and deciding how to use the land. The futuristic city never materialized and instead morphed into a second theme park that opened in 1982.
    More actions taken in public by Disney that DeSantis and his idiots didn't follow, though I doubt they'll have strong objections to most of these banned businesses.

But $400K/year to oversee the district? That feels pretty darned high for what sounds like a government job.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    But $400K/year to oversee the district? That feels pretty darned high for what sounds like a government job.
    For comparison, that is the same salary as the President of the United States.
    Last edited by DarkTZeratul; 2023-05-10 at 10:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I doubt they'll have strong objections to most of these banned businesses.
    It'll be interesting to see them build a prison that's under four stories tall.

The famous Dannemora Prison that had the famous escape a few years back has walls that are nearly four stories, and buildings inside taller than that.

I suppose DeSantis could build a lower, flatter prison, which in turn would be spread out over more land. I'm sure the Disney-owned county has lots of large parcels of undeveloped real estate exactly the right consistency of swamp to build a prison on.

It'll be interesting to see them build a prison that's under four stories tall.

The famous Dannemora Prison that had the famous escape a few years back has walls that are nearly four stories, and buildings inside taller than that.

I suppose DeSantis could build a lower, flatter prison, which in turn would be spread out over more land. I'm sure the Disney-owned county has lots of large parcels of undeveloped real estate exactly the right consistency of swamp to build a prison on.
    Well, maybe the GOP will finally get to drain that swamp they keep railing on about wanting to drain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    Well, maybe the GOP will finally get to drain that swamp they keep railing on about wanting to drain.
    Oh snap, that's good!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonogo View Post
    I know it'll never happen, but I would love the day that Disney packed up and went to a friendlier state
    Never say never.

Disney is in Florida, in part, because of the fiscal bedrock they're built on. If DeSantis is able to get it to crumble, they have little reason to stay.

Why do you switch phone plans, if you have to pay a setup fee to do it? Because the new plan is long-term cheaper, or because the new service is better. You don't do it for 5 cents, but you migth do it for $20 a month.

Disney has a dollar figure in mind. They just haven't gotten there yet.

If DeSantis continues to try to remove all reasons for Disney to stay, and is successful, they might actually bail. I'm sure there are states that'd love to have a massive theme park that aren't so opposed to treating homosexuals like human beings.

If FL gets nailed with worsening hurricanes...

"Everyone said I was daft to build a prison on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up. And that's what you're going to get, folks, the strongest prison in all of Florida."

isnt disney prison just working on one of the cruise ships?

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    "Everyone said I was daft to build a prison on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up. And that's what you're going to get, folks, the strongest prison in all of Florida."
    Why not just skip the intermediary steps and just build an underground prison? Follows the height regulations, and, I have to imagine, swamp soil is inconducive to digging escape tunnels.