Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    does it also apply to druid flight form or does it count as a separate thing?
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

This is great news, I love my old mounts a lot more than the 4 dragons, but I also like dragonriding, finally a bit of good news from Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    How does dragonriding address the criticisms people had about the effect flying had on the game? Assuming that you think dragonriding is good for the game.
    Very directly? The main issue is that there is zero gameplay in air swimming and basically no real limitations. You just get on your mount, point in a direction and put it on autorun. There is no such thing as being good or bad at it, there are no real obstacles and as soon as you get it, you can just always directly move towards your objective and ignore the entire rest of the world. Try that with Dragonriding and you'll quickly find yourself unable to take off and it already baseline has the ability to introduce meaningful obstacles built in.

Maybe look up what the criticism actually are.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    Good. Now everyone who wants to use minecraft creative flying can do so and stop whining.

Want to be faster? Use dragonflying.
    Dragonflying is really not difficult. They even gave you a immediat stop option for those who cannot aim.
    Look on this thread, crying never stops. Now they want 900% flying without dragonriding gameplay xD.

1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex Icon View Post
    does it also apply to druid flight form or does it count as a separate thing?
    Separate. No changes to flightform, that would imply changing the character model, and Blizzard is too lazy for that.

Title of this thread is wrong. They're allowing Dragonriding mounts in the old world, they are not revamping old mounts with animations for dragonriding.
    Last edited by Cynical Asshole; 2023-05-12 at 10:50 AM.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynical Asshole View Post
    Separate. No changes to flightform, that would imply changing the character model, and Blizzard is too lazy for that.

Title of this thread is wrong. They're allowing Dragonriding mounts in the old world, they are not revamping old mounts with animations for dragonriding.
    They are doing it for some old mounts, next time read OP before you comment. It's mostly drakes, but I see for example Dread Raven amount them.

Stood in the Fire Zendhal The Black's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Exactly.

Also, the massive discrepancy in speed between flight types needs to be addressed. 'Static flying' is basically a 'fly at one-third speed' option. If increased speed is the reward for flight being annoying - sorry, I mean 'active' - then the extra boost doesn't need to be so big. Give normal flying mounts 600% speed.
    You'll get "anoyed" or you go slow.. that's it. No cutting corners.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    Ha it’s gonna be great knocking people off there old flying mounts in warmode while dragon riding.
    That would be hilarious.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    Look on this thread, crying never stops. Now they want 900% flying without dragonriding gameplay xD.
    I seriously can't. But with that one guy having only 2 posts. It has got to be trolling. Both flying options have their merits. You trade faster speed for having to be engaged. You can be AFK, but then you go slower. Flying with 900% speed on regular flying mounts would be dumb.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is amazing, im sure not all mounts will be there at first, but they will definitely add them over time. I thought it would take until next expansion for them to add it.

And what's wrong wanting that? The extra steps to fly adds nothing but frustration. A fair compromise would be to remove the Vigor entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Very directly? The main issue is that there is zero gameplay in air swimming and basically no real limitations. You just get on your mount, point in a direction and put it on autorun. There is no such thing as being good or bad at it, there are no real obstacles and as soon as you get it, you can just always directly move towards your objective and ignore the entire rest of the world. Try that with Dragonriding and you'll quickly find yourself unable to take off and it already baseline has the ability to introduce meaningful obstacles built in.

The criticisms were that flying took away from the 'world' of Warcraft, with fewer players on the ground interacting with each other. There were also complaints that there was no content specifically tailored for flying mounts. The latter is addressed partially by races, but the former surely is exacerbated by making ground travel even less appealing due to the enormous difference in travel speed.

I personally never wanted flying to become 'engaging'. Being able to quickly mount up and hover while dealing with a shopping delivery or phone call is really useful. If we have to trade speed for convenience then so be it, but the difference in speed should not be so great IMO.

That description of static flying sounds good to me.

I gave dragon flying a good go. It's fine. But I didn't love it. Got gold on the races, feel zero desire to chase and improve times as it's just not something I care about.

Anyway it's a toggle, anybody who sticks rigidly to one mode is gimping themselves. I'll use dragonflying if I need to travel a long distance, if I'm doing short hops or need to ascend with zero fuss I'll use static.

Besides anything else, dragonflying isn't exactly much more complex than static. There's an extra step to get airborne and get height, but certainly, before I took a break, once you have height you can pretty much just beeline anyway.

7+ Year Old Account
    i want my flying fire kitty dragonriding and the shiny blue ott ghost as well

Quote Originally Posted by Cynical Asshole View Post
    They are doing it for some old mounts, next time read OP before you comment. It's mostly drakes, but I see for example Dread Raven amount them.
    You're both halfway between correct and incorrect.

No, they're not revamping old mounts with animations for dragonriding(At the current point in time).
    Yes, they are adding dragonriding to almost every mount which shares an animation skeleton with the dragonriding mounts, so Dragons, Protodragons, Birds(which share the pterodactyl skeleton), and Cloud serpents.
    Last edited by Stickiler; 2023-05-12 at 12:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Addiena
    Whats the saying .. You have two brain cells and they are both fighting for third place !

Quote Originally Posted by Stickiler View Post
    You're both halfway between correct and incorrect.

No, they're not revamping old mounts with animations for dragonriding(At the current point in time).
    Yes, they are adding dragonriding to almost every mount which shares an animation skeleton with the dragonriding mounts, so Dragons, Protodragons, Birds(which share the pterodactyl skeleton), and Cloud serpents.
    The birds in question actually use the Protodragon skeleton, which should tell you why they're on the list. These are the really easy to do ones because the animations are essentially already done.

Finally, I hate dragonriding with a passion.
    Battle for Azeroth
    Best focking Axpansion!

Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    https://www.wowhead.com/news/dragonr...-styles-332944

It's over, y'all, the Higjland Drake was fun but I'm never abandoning my Obsidian Worldbreaker again.
    Omg yesss.

...Bees.

Beeriding.

Beeracing.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

The birds in question actually use the Protodragon skeleton, which should tell you why they're on the list. These are the really easy to do ones because the animations are essentially already done.
    Both protodrake rig birds and and wylderdrake birds (ravens) are on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Caprias View Post
    The 77 besides your name is your birthdate, right?
    Mine is 79 and I wish Dragonriding would completely replace old flying if there was a toggle to float in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I hope Cloud Serpents get dynamic flying enabled, maybe with tweaked Slitherdrake animations?
    Really hoping they do.
    There's some absolutely iconic Serpent mounts, like the Astral one, the Sha of Anger one, Mail Muncher or Slime Serpent.