Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Upgrade to a x3D CPU - Build Help

Hey all,

First and foremost, the required info:

• Budget: 1000€ (but less is obviously better)
    • Resolution: 1440p
    • System Purpose (gaming, workstation, HTPC, etc): Gaming
    • If a gaming system, what games and settings are desired?: World of Warcraft (pref High), Elden Ring (pref High)
    • Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc): No
    • Do you plan to overclock?: No
    • Country: Belgium (but can order from neighbouring countries like the Netherlands, Germany, etc)
    • Preferred Stores / Sites: Had good experiences with Amazon.de last time I built a PC
    • Parts that can be reused: RTX 2070, 850W PSU, m2 NVMe hdd's, Case (Lian Li o11 Dynamic), my 1440p monitor
    • Do you need an OS?: No
    • Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?: No

Okay, so I'm currently using a i5 9600k with a RTX 2070. While this combo is fine in theory and plays most games, I cannot lie that an upgrade to an AMD 5800x3D CPU is tempting. I know the 7800x3D is right around the corner but I figured I'd be fine with a 5800, which is obviously cheaper.

I don't know that much about the x3D cpu's though, so eager to hear peoples advice.

I'll be reusing my RTX 2070 for now, GPU's are too expensive :/ Upgrading that will be for in the future.

Here's a general idea of what I had in mind:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
    • Cooler: Figured I'd go back to using a fan instead of AiO liquid cooling, so I guess a Noctua NH-U12S or NH-D15?
    • Mobo: Dont know much about this, but I figure a B550 would be fine?
    • RAM: I guess 32GB (2x16) DDR4-3600. While 16GB is generally fine, it's pretty cheap and can possibly "future proof" myself a bit here.

So have at it, lemme know what you guys suggest.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2023-03-10 at 03:27 AM.

If youve got a grand to spend, might as well wait for the 7800X3D.

It clocks significantly higher than the 5800X3D in addition to better IPC, so itll have more longevity if nothing else.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2023-03-10 at 05:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd also just wait for a 7800x3d unless you need something RIGHT NOW.

Worst case you buy the same CPU anyway, best case you get a better one

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't mind waiting, but wont a AM5 motherboard and DDR5 ram be more expensive too? I wrote I have a 1000 euros budget but basically I'd rather spend less.

It’s the 7800X3D going to be more expensive? Yes… but with that set up you can use it and then when the last generation to use the AM5 platform (about 5 years from now) comes out, you can buy just the chip and get another 5 years out of the platform. That’s what I did, went from a 2700x to a 5800X3D. Only needed a bios update and now I won’t need to upgrade until AM6 comes out.

You don't need to spend a boatload on a high end motherboard or super fast memory. You can get a cheap B650 motherboard (about $150 USD in USA), and you don't need a high end xmp/lots of MHZ ram kit to reap the benefits of X3D, 5200MT/s memory is almost the same price as 6000MT/s memory with negligible performance impact. A cheap memory 2x16GB kit in USA is $100.

The 7800X3D itself is $450 USD new when it comes out.

Exchange rage to Euro takes $700 USD to 653 Euro. Add 21% VAT and you're at 791 Euro.

WoW is not exactly hard on the GPU, especially if you have a boatload of addons. I've heard X3D CPU's have a huge benefit to WoW's performance, especially if you have addons. Stick with the 2070 you have, you'll have a good experience. Sell off your old parts, and if you want, you can pick up a new video card.

Id wait. Your PC is still great. What cant you play with such specs?

DDR5 is going down in price, picked up 32GB 5600 mhz cl36 for about only doubble the price of good DDR4 32gb, but its still costly AM5.
    AM4 is cheap through, like motherboard, good b550 is quit cheap now. But your PC is still good.

I figure b550 + 32GB CL16 DDR4, 5800X3D and NHD-15 will get you quit close to 1000 euro. But you can quickly look it up and see local prices.

Could also go AM5, and only go 7700X, but then get ddr5 ram + better platform to upgrade in future.
    Last edited by Djuntas; 2023-03-14 at 12:13 PM.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    there's a small disconnect with what your expectations are, you want to play WoW at high/ultra settings, that's totally fine and manageable but you also want a system capable of playing elden ring on high settings without taking a performance hit, that's gonna require a lot more horsepower than anything WoW needs.

also, 5800x3d chips stopped being made so while there's still a lot of them on the market you can buy new, the longer you wait the more expensive they will become as they become more scarce, it's also the absolute pinnacle of the AM4 platform, there's nothing left after that so you would need to consider saving up a huge budget in several years for when you want to do any other upgrading as it would require a full new system, it's the same issue you would have if you went with an Intel based system now, they are at end of life for their current socket, if you wait it out and go AM5 though, not only is that going to be supported for the same time (maybe longer) than what AMD supported AM4 socket for, there's also obviously a huge amount of upgrade potential there where you can just plug and play with a drop in CPU upgrade and keep everything else as is.

another thing you need to take into account is that ALL of the new x3d chips mandate liquid cooling due to the nature of how they boost and how they have been designed, there's only a handful of air coolers in the world that can match that of a liquid cooler and those are usually ridiculously expensive (and will be well outside of your budget); if you're keeping everything but motherboard/CPU/RAM (assuming AM5 upgrade) then i don't see any reason to not go with AM5, however do note that initial availability on 7800x3d is going to be limited and the longer you wait for that specifically, the better it will be as DDR5 will also be slightly cheaper more than likely over time also and the motherboard costs should be coming down too thanks to the enforced price drops by AMD on their board partners.

one last thing to keep in mind with the new ryzen chips is that they are very memory sensitive, meaning that they require pretty fast DDR5 (6000 MT/s or better) which already makes an expensive upgrade that much more expensive because unless you want to see a performance hit you're basically not able to buy the cheaper and slower DDR5 modules that exist currently.

15+ Year Old Account
    Thanks everyone for the info and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    there's a small disconnect with what your expectations are, you want to play WoW at high/ultra settings, that's totally fine and manageable but you also want a system capable of playing elden ring on high settings without taking a performance hit, that's gonna require a lot more horsepower than anything WoW needs.

also, 5800x3d chips stopped being made so while there's still a lot of them on the market you can buy new, the longer you wait the more expensive they will become as they become more scarce, it's also the absolute pinnacle of the AM4 platform, there's nothing left after that so you would need to consider saving up a huge budget in several years for when you want to do any other upgrading as it would require a full new system, it's the same issue you would have if you went with an Intel based system now, they are at end of life for their current socket, if you wait it out and go AM5 though, not only is that going to be supported for the same time (maybe longer) than what AMD supported AM4 socket for, there's also obviously a huge amount of upgrade potential there where you can just plug and play with a drop in CPU upgrade and keep everything else as is.

another thing you need to take into account is that ALL of the new x3d chips mandate liquid cooling due to the nature of how they boost and how they have been designed, there's only a handful of air coolers in the world that can match that of a liquid cooler and those are usually ridiculously expensive (and will be well outside of your budget); if you're keeping everything but motherboard/CPU/RAM (assuming AM5 upgrade) then i don't see any reason to not go with AM5, however do note that initial availability on 7800x3d is going to be limited and the longer you wait for that specifically, the better it will be as DDR5 will also be slightly cheaper more than likely over time also and the motherboard costs should be coming down too thanks to the enforced price drops by AMD on their board partners.

one last thing to keep in mind with the new ryzen chips is that they are very memory sensitive, meaning that they require pretty fast DDR5 (6000 MT/s or better) which already makes an expensive upgrade that much more expensive because unless you want to see a performance hit you're basically not able to buy the cheaper and slower DDR5 modules that exist currently.
    Thanks for the detailed info rogoth, it definitely gives me something to think about. I'll address a few points:

1) I mainly play WoW, and while other games running at High is welcome, it's definitely not a priority. I imagine with a 7800X3D and a 2070, I'll be able to play Elden Ring at a quality that is good enough.

2) Yeah if I upgrade I'll go for an AM5 chip, as you and others have pointed out the potential to then upgrade down the line without having to change motherboard, is better.

3) I can do liquid cooling, it isn't really a problem. I'm currently using a AiO cooling system and I felt like switching it up a bit, but remaining with liquid cooling is definitely not an issue and I'd go down that route if it's better for x3d chips.

4) Guess I'd be getting fast DDR5 RAM then

Spending this sort of money is definitely not something I do lightly, so any and all advice everyone has is definitely taken into account.

15+ Year Old Account
    Okay. Well for now I'm going to have to wait for the 7800x3D to come on the market. Hopefully it wont be too much more than the $450 it will be in the US, but Belgium (and I guess EU in general?) is quite notorious for higher prices. 450$ is 419€ but I can easily see it being 450€, if not more :/

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    Okay. Well for now I'm going to have to wait for the 7800x3D to come on the market. Hopefully it wont be too much more than the $450 it will be in the US, but Belgium (and I guess EU in general?) is quite notorious for higher prices. 450$ is 419€ but I can easily see it being 450€, if not more :/
    Yeah here in Denmark MSRP is 3500 DKK, but I hope it wont be more than 4500 DKK. We shall see April 10 or so when some retailers might get it. But I doubt you can buy it...its so hyped. All wants it. Be ready to check out.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

15+ Year Old Account
    So while I'm waiting for the 7800X3D to come out, I'm having a think if I should replace my RTX 2070 (and sell it) and get something beefier. Was wondering what GPU people would suggest to use alongside the 7800X3D, with the intention of gaming at 1440p. Doesn't need to be a 4090 (those prices lol...). I remember lots of you saying the 4070 ti and 4080 are not worth it.

I'm just thinking while I'm building a new machine I could future proof myself even more by getting a nice GPU to go in it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Also is there any point in already ordering certain things, like motherboard, RAM etc? Or would it be better to wait until the 7800X3D is out?

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the return window.
    I wouldn't order things if the return window is going to end before you can test if they work

15+ Year Old Account
    howdy all,

So bumping this thread again as it's my thread and now the 7800X3D has been released for more than a month, curious to hear peoples opinions on it and if I were to upgrade, what to get.

I'm currently using an i5-9600k, Asus Prime Z390-A mobo and 32GB RAM (4x8GB DDR4 2666MHz). At the moment I'd reuse my rtx 2070 and upgrade that at a later date, unless I can find it an upgrade within my price range.

I'm currently looking at the 7700X and 7800X3D, no idea what motherboard to get and I'd probably get 16GB RAM as I guess 32GB is kinda overkill (correct me if I'm wrong). No idea what cpu cooler to get either.

As for budget, lets say for arguments sake 1000€ if a gpu upgrade can be included (major doubt), if not, then I can afford to spend a little more on the other components, so say 700€.

Thanks all

howdy all,

So bumping this thread again as it's my thread and now the 7800X3D has been released for more than a month, curious to hear peoples opinions on it and if I were to upgrade, what to get.

I'm currently using an i5-9600k, Asus Prime Z390-A mobo and 32GB RAM (4x8GB DDR4 2666MHz). At the moment I'd reuse my rtx 2070 and upgrade that at a later date, unless I can find it an upgrade within my price range.

I'm currently looking at the 7700X and 7800X3D, no idea what motherboard to get and I'd probably get 16GB RAM as I guess 32GB is kinda overkill (correct me if I'm wrong). No idea what cpu cooler to get either.

As for budget, lets say for arguments sake 1000€ if a gpu upgrade can be included (major doubt), if not, then I can afford to spend a little more on the other components, so say 700€.

Thanks all
    so dont.

get an intel cpu 13700k or 13900k.

the 7800x3d are catching on fire, literally. just youtube it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goat7 View Post
    so dont.

yikes, yeah I'd prefer to avoid that. How about the 7700X? I'll look at the 13700k and 13900k as well though of course

Quote Originally Posted by Goat7 View Post
    so dont.

They're fine with the firmware update. Just make sure you update your MOBO.

Or play it safe with a 13700k

15+ Year Old Account
    ok so i think 7800x3d, 13700k or 13900k will be too expensive, so ive been looking at 7700X

here is my first attempt at something:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 4.5 GHz 8-Core Processor (€294.95 @ Megekko)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock 2 Black CPU Cooler (€46.85 @ Megekko)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX ATX AM5 Motherboard (€196.95 @ Megekko)
    Memory: Kingston FURY Beast 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR5-6000 CL40 Memory (€79.00 @ Paradigit)
    Total: €617.75
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-05-21 20:53 CEST+0200

ok so i think 7800x3d, 13700k or 13900k will be too expensive, so ive been looking at 7700X

here is my first attempt at something:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 4.5 GHz 8-Core Processor (€294.95 @ Megekko)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX ATX AM5 Motherboard (€196.95 @ Megekko)
    Memory: Kingston FURY Beast 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR5-6000 CL40 Memory (€79.00 @ Paradigit)
    Total: €617.75
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-05-21 20:53 CEST+0200
    13600K will outperform the 7700X in just about everything.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://be.pcpartpicker.com/list/vqyhW4

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor (€334.95 @ Megekko)
    Motherboard: ASRock B760M PG Riptide Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (€143.85 @ Megekko)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory (€131.80 @ Azerty)
    Total: €657.45
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-05-21 21:30 CEST+0200
    You could go cheaper with DDR4 (or i guess by dropping to the 2x8 DDR5 config you had, but i cant reccomend that unless youre on a super budget) without relly losing any performance. You could shave a bit with slower RAM, too.

Depends on how stuck you are on your budget.

DDR4 - make sure this MoBo is updated for 13th gen. Not sure if vendors in Europe update their boards like major retailers here in the US do. Othwrwise, you can use a B760 DDR4 board like the Gigabye Gaming X model (https://be.pcpartpicker.com/product/...-gaming-x-ddr4). I just like MSI board because you can still undervolt on it with their Lite Load settings. (If that matters to you).

PCPartPicker Part List: https://be.pcpartpicker.com/list/P8kYnt

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor (€334.95 @ Megekko)
    Motherboard: MSI MAG B660M MORTAR DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (€139.95 @ Paradigit)
    Memory: Kingston FURY Renegade 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (€82.85 @ Megekko)
    Total: €604.60
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-05-21 21:40 CEST+0200
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2023-05-21 at 07:41 PM.