Quote Originally Posted by Cynical Asshole View Post
    Because we are realists and can see the writing on the wall.
    "We," eh? And who is this "we?"

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Because we are realists and can see the writing on the wall. If you're expecting a Nazi Germany kind of defeat for Russia, where Russia loses everything and all the guilty parties are brought justice, you are incredibly delusional.
    Realist? Sounds more like apologist. How did you celebrate the 1-year anniversary of this 3-day special operation by the way?

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Russia spends almost a year taking a stratigically insignificant city and suddenly the pearl clutchers manifest to bemoan that Ukraine is doomed.

At least it's a step up from folks chiming in to be smug about Russia killing civilians.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because we are realists
    "Realists" that think a PRC invasion of Taiwan is likely let alone feasible. Okay.

and can see the writing on the wall. If you're expecting a Nazi Germany kind of defeat for Russia, where Russia loses everything and all the guilty parties are brought justice, you are incredibly delusional.
    No one's expecting that.

What people are predicting is an outcome similar to that of the Soviet-Afghan War wherein the invasion ultimately fails and Russia is faced with a decade of internal political strife that hamstrings its ability to conduct future endeavors of this sort.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

7+ Year Old Account
    Unfortunately we live in the real world, and not in a cartoon. So the only thing that's gonna happen is the first thing...maybe.

So you can rage all you want, but eventually you will have to face reality. And the reality is there will be a compromise, which is very likely going to be none of the above except pulling the soldiers out, and the West will be happy to do it because that means they can once again buy shit from Russia, shit that they need, and no one actually cares that much about the victims other than using them to mak pompous public statements pretending that they care.
    You mean, energy? The only attractive thing Russia actually has for sell? The same thing Europe quickly started to move away from and look for alternatives, due to the aggression? The same thing ruskies now have to sell for cheap to China and India?
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2023-05-21 at 05:12 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Europe didn't freeze in the past winter. What exactly is it that they sell that Europe needs at this point?

Hoping for a cold winter while Europe wasn't ready was the only economic play that Russia had, Now its yet another year of moving further away from 'needing' Russian gas or oil.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

I do agree with the nihilistic sentiment that everyone is just exploiting the war and that Russia will face no repercussions even if they lose. If they lose, there is no doubt the world will just try to resume business as fast as possible. You can't just shun a country with land mass and resources like that. At any point as well, Putin could just go into exile with his wealth and no one would bother him ala Pol Pot. I don't know if you all have been following the stories of his Resident evil-like underground bunker labrynth complex he can fuck off to.

Besides the aforementioned Trump and Le Pen already in Putin's pocket, look at Hungary and Orban right now trying to impede Ukraine.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    "Realists" that think a PRC invasion of Taiwan is likely let alone feasible. Okay.

No one's expecting that.
    Yeah, I didn't go too much in depth on that but any invasion of Taiwain is a couple decades away at least. China simply does not have the necessary logistics to assault a well defended island, let alone the potential domino effect of dragging the US along the ride which would be absolutely catastrophic for a vast multitudes of reasons. I don't think the CCP needed to watch the Russians fail at everything to know about those facts, even if the invasion did likely reinforce existing hesitations on the matter.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because we are realists and can see the writing on the wall. If you're expecting a Nazi Germany kind of defeat for Russia, where Russia loses everything and all the guilty parties are brought justice, you are incredibly delusional.
    No.

I expect a continuously worsening internal and international situation for Russia, their regional power to be ceded to China as they are increasingly vassalized to suit chinas interests. NATO will continue to grow in strength in Europe as Russia slides into increased geopolitical obscurity.

Internally they will continue to fall behind on technological and economic development as they become a glorified gas station of increasing obscurity as Europe continues to extricate its need to be reliant upon them. It will take decades for Russia to catch back up to where they once were, and by that time the rest of the world will have left them far behind. Their abilities to innovate have been sunk for the foreseeable future by the brain drain that has occurred in Russia through the millions of people fleeing and hundreds of thousands sent to die for nothing, not to mention the corporations who have severed ties with Russia.

THAT is the realistic future for Russia.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    I do agree with the nihilistic sentiment that everyone is just exploiting the war and that Russia will face no repercussions even if they lose. If they lose, there is no doubt the world will just try to resume business as fast as possible. You can't just shun a country with land mass and resources like that. At any point as well, Putin could just go into exile with his wealth and no one would bother him ala Pol Pot. I don't know if you all have been following the stories of his Resident evil-like underground bunker labrynth complex he can fuck off to.

Besides the aforementioned Trump and Le Pen already in Putin's pocket, look at Hungary and Orban right now trying to impede Ukraine.
    No he can't. He has amassed his fortune by stealing from thieves. What makes you think that the other thieves won't simply cap his ass and take back what they originally stole from someone else?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    No.I expect a continuously worsening internal and international situation for Russia, their regional power to be ceded to China as they are increasingly vassalized to suit chinas interests. NATO will continue to grow in strength in Europe as Russia slides into increased geopolitical obscurity.
    This is already happening. Two days ago we had a China-Central Asia Summit, where Xi met with the leaders of Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan. All ex-soviet countries that were believed to still be under Russian sphere of influence. China wants to strengthen ties invest heavily into these countries.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    What makes you think that the other thieves won't simply cap his ass and take back what they originally stole from someone else?
    "if you kill me, you'll never know where the troves of trillions I've stashed away are."

Basically. It's pretty clear his security personnel is at least in on this pie, hence why he's still alive.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

"if you kill me, you'll never know where the troves of trillions I've stashed away are."

Basically.
    This isn't a pirate fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    This isn't a pirate fantasy.
    It actually is. Putin is the most successful thief in human history.

Most people close to him would not jeopardize killing him knowing the bulk of his fortune would be lost. That's why he lives (again) despite all the reports of attempted assassinations/etc.

Most people close to him would not jeopardize killing him knowing the bulk of his fortune would be lost. That's why he lives (again) despite all the reports of attempted assassinations/etc.
    Just because you idolize Putin doesn't mean you can keep lying and exaggerating his actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Just because you idolize Putin doesn't mean you can keep lying and exaggerating his actions.
    excuse me? I was just responding to the poster that stated the implications of this war after it's concluded.

Putin and Russia will get off the hook, as awful as that sounds. The West just need to make sure they don't win the war, but a loss won't be a big deal to Russia long-term with all the facts presented.

Basically. It's pretty clear his security personnel is at least in on this pie, hence why he's still alive.
    This isn't Uncharted, dude. There isn't some magical vault of gold Putin is sitting on, you know that right?

- - - Updated - - -

This isn't how wealth works in the modern world.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    This isn't Uncharted, dude. There isn't some magical vault of gold Putin is sitting on, you know that right?
    given most of his wealth is illicit/stolen and the world no doubt scouring for offshore accounts and restricting bank access, where do you think he would be putting all this money then?

Don't forget it's even officially stated that while the world knows how rich Putin is, the true scope of his wealth is unknown even now.

given most of his wealth is illicit/stolen and the world no doubt scouring for offshore accounts and restricting bank access, where do you think he would be putting all this money then?

Don't forget it's even officially stated that while the world knows how rich Putin is, the true scope of his wealth is unknown even now.
    Only to toadies and sycophants, Tsugunai.

You think Putin has all those offshore accounts and pin codes and whatever memorized so that they exist only in his head? For fuck's sake even you can't be this naive.