Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Most players ignore the Void elves storywise simply because they are too original and out-of-the-box to understand. It's easier to focus on the normal elves and humans that everyone knows.
    kek /10chars

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand void elves.
    Look, these Elves are pale and have tangential associations with a concept loosely based on what was considered incomprehensibly horrifying to a person from the 20th century whose worldview was undoubtedly influenced by his possessing a set of debilitating undiagnosed mental illnesses so profound that he was entirely unable to function in society and saw anything as horror beyond description; how could you possibly begin to fathom their depth?
    Last edited by Le Conceptuel; 2023-05-24 at 04:48 PM.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Alleria is not popular enough to be "Poster girl".

Most players ignore the Void elves storywise simply because they are too original and out-of-the-box to understand. It's easier to focus on the normal elves and humans that everyone knows.

Yrel and Calia will be poster girls of 11.0 simply because Draenei and Undead are more popular than Void elves. Obviously this doesn't make them better-written.

Unfortunately Alleria and the Ren'dorei lacks the sheer amount of love that Blizzard is willing to give to other races so their chance to be in the spotlight is slim.
    Why not a nice Void sandwich, with Yrel on one side, Calia on the other, and Alleria in the middle? Those gosh dang Light-wielders are bullying Void girl!

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Resheph View Post
    hordies had Green Jesus dominating 10 years of storytelling it's not like having a focus on one character is weird in WOW and compared to him Anduin was hardly featuring really.
    Green Jesus sucked donkey balls as well. The thing is, Green Jesus was only a thing during Cata (and it sucked hard enough, granted) after being pretty much AFK for the entirety of Vanilla -> WotLK, whereas we've just have had two consecutive expansions of the worst duo this game has ever seen, i.e. moustache-twirling-but-not-really Sylvie plus uber pure, innocent, always right Andy.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundering View Post
    We got quite alot of Horde characters taking the main stage in the mainstory here so why not a single alliance one?

You would think this is a good opportunity for Anduin and Wrathion to have a close story?

Or the Titan watchers Turalyon and Lady Liadrin etc.....

It would be nice with some kind of balance.
    Name one horde character that has taken the main stage. ONE.

Also Baine's 1 hour questline does not count.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    Name one horde character that has taken the main stage. ONE.

Also Baine's 1 hour questline does not count.
    You'd need to define "the main stage" to actually have this argument in any cogent manner. I'd argue Baine's questline in the Ohn'ahran Plains counts as an incident of a Horde character taking the main stage, but then, so does Tyrande and Malfurion appearing in the questline where Ysera returns to the land of the living.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

We got quite alot of Horde characters taking the main stage in the mainstory here so why not a single alliance one?

You would think this is a good opportunity for Anduin and Wrathion to have a close story?

Or the Titan watchers Turalyon and Lady Liadrin etc.....

It would be nice with some kind of balance.
    Anduin is still wandering the Shadowlands.

Turalyon is in the Exedar just like he was during thr War of Thorns and Battle of Lordaeron.

The Dragonscale Expedition has been relatively even in Horde/Alliance representation, though I think they have a slight tilt toward Alliance. Similar with Dalaran. While Ebyssian is very much a Horde ally at this point, Kalec has a close connection to Jaina (Alliance), while Merithra spent a good amount of time with the night elves. Baine and Mayla are the only significant Horde characters that I've seen in this expansion, and I'd say both are outclassed by Khadgar, Malfurion, and Tyrande, the first of which is probably the most significant non-dragon character throughout the initial campaign and first raid tier. As many others have pointed out, I just don't see an overwhelming Horde presence (10.1 End-of-Campaign Spoiler: though it is cool that the Horde now have an Aspect among their closest allies).

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    He might be talking about Baine and Ebyssian, but Baine only shows up in an hour long sidequestline that amounts to nothing, and Ebyssian is only vaguely associated with the Horde due to having advised the Highmountain Tauren.
    Atleast one who plays the game it seems, as an alliance player i dont even know who Ebyssian is....just a random dragon, as a horde players he is a close ally of one of the Horde.

Atleast one who plays the game it seems, as an alliance player i dont even know who Ebyssian is....just a random dragon, as a horde players he is a close ally of one of the Horde.
    That's objectively your fault. Ebyssian was part of a faction-agnostic questing zone, and his only prominent role since was in a faction-agnostic questline where Wrathion made him some N'Zoth-B-Gone Juice. Ebyssian is only horde-adjacent on a technicality. Alliance players have interacted with him exactly as much as Horde players have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Wasn't Ebyssian introduced and his backstory explained to everyone during the events of BfA? Yes, I know his first appearance was in Legion, but his presence in a faction-neutral quest chain still happened in BfA.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    That's objectively your fault. Ebyssian was part of a faction-agnostic questing zone, and his only prominent role since was in a faction-agnostic questline where Wrathion made him some N'Zoth-B-Gone Juice. Ebyssian is only horde-adjacent on a technicality. Alliance players have interacted with him exactly as much as Horde players have.
    He is still very much Horde, and there is quests i cannot since his story is linked to allied races?

He is still very much Horde, and there is quests i cannot since his story is linked to allied races?
    I think you're vastly overestimating how important the horny cow story is to Horde players. I legitimately had to look up what actually happened in the Highmountain Allied Race quests because I couldn't remember. It's just buildup for the Wrathion quest I mentioned. Ebonhorn gets attacked by a spooky dude and the champion murders the spooky dude. That's it, that's the lore. Ebonhorn is not an integral part of the Horde.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

Horde characters? Where? Only Baine showed up and he failed to save Bovan. The rest of the expansion so far we follow neutral people like the dragons mostly. I don't see any biases here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    You'd need to define "the main stage" to actually have this argument in any cogent manner. I'd argue Baine's questline in the Ohn'ahran Plains counts as an incident of a Horde character taking the main stage, but then, so does Tyrande and Malfurion appearing in the questline where Ysera returns to the land of the living.
    Bovan is dead. The Horde story in centaur land leads to nothing important. Main stage would be what Velen did on Argus back in Legion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Grazrug View Post
    Bovan is dead. The Horde story in centaur land leads to nothing important. Main stage would be what Velen did on Argus back in Legion.
    If you define events solely by what happens with Bovan, sure; but that's not really the point of the story. The main point is that Baine begins to take steps to overcome his understandable prejudice against centaur, and in so doing, starts inroads towards an amicable and perhaps fruitful alliance with the Maruuk tribes and the Horde, who share a lot of pretty obvious aesthetics and social values.

As for Velen on Argus, his role there is pretty minimal, IMO. He's more involved in the process of getting there but takes a backseat once we arrive. Turalyon, Alleria, Illidan, and the Army of the Light are the main stage NPCs in the Argus campaign.

If you define events solely by what happens with Bovan, sure; but that's not really the point of the story. The main point is that Baine begins to take steps to overcome his understandable prejudice against centaur, and in so doing, starts inroads towards an amicable and perhaps fruitful alliance with the Maruuk tribes and the Horde, who share a lot of pretty obvious aesthetics and social values.

As for Velen on Argus, his role there is pretty minimal, IMO. He's more involved in the process of getting there but takes a backseat once we arrive. Turalyon, Alleria, Illidan, and the Army of the Light are the main stage NPCs in the Argus campaign.
    Blizzard can only do one thing with Baine. And that is just having us watch how he fails. He isn't allowed to have wins. Otherwise we couldn't be laughing at him anymore. He failed to save the leader of the Wintotem tribe. Just another one of his big mistakes. And it makes me happy that so many players finally see him for what he is.

and btw if this scenario would play out realistically, after the Nokhud attack his racism towards centaurs should be even bigger. This short quest did nothing good for the Horde and I don't see the point why Blizzard bothers anymore even. We are just an afterthought. The alliance owns the main stage full time.
    Last edited by Grazrug; 2023-06-10 at 05:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Blizzard can only do one thing with Baine. And that is just having us watch how he fails. He isn't allowed to have wins. Otherwise we couldn't be laughing at him anymore. He failed to save the leader of the Wintotem tribe. Just another one of his big mistakes. And it makes me happy that so many players finally see him for what he is.
    He isn't *permitted* wins, most especially by those who already dislike his character - a significant and noteworthy distinction. The PC and the Maruuk also failed as concerns Bovan, so it's not as if Baine is alone in that failure, either. I'm not a huge fan of Baine, but I can at least acknowledge when he had a decent story beat - and it's good to see him in an at least tepid light for once.

and btw if this scenario would play out realistically, after the Nokhud attack his racism towards centaurs should be even bigger. This short quest did nothing good for the Horde and I don't see the point why Blizzard bothers anymore even. We are just an afterthought. The alliance owns the main stage full time.
    I think you're too wrapped up in a strange victim complex to be able to acknowledge the story for it was, realistically speaking. Dragonlight in general isn't really about the Horde or the Alliance in any real sense, but both factions have had their moments pretty equally in the story thus far. It can be difficult to distinguish this, though, when you're intent on staring at one thing to the exclusion of all else.

He isn't *permitted* wins, most especially by those who already dislike his character - a significant and noteworthy distinction. The PC and the Maruuk also failed as concerns Bovan, so it's not as if Baine is alone in that failure, either. I'm not a huge fan of Baine, but I can at least acknowledge when he had a decent story beat - and it's good to see him in an at least tepid light for once.

I think you're too wrapped up in a strange victim complex to be able to acknowledge the story for it was, realistically speaking. Dragonlight in general isn't really about the Horde or the Alliance in any real sense, but both factions have had their moments pretty equally in the story thus far. It can be difficult to distinguish this, though, when you're intent on staring at one thing to the exclusion of all else.
    A partnership with the Maruuk is just an suggestion right now. Pure fanfiction. But we KNOW a new tree for the night elves is coming. Blizzard prepares it very well. The night elves gonna get their cake eventually. But with the Horde I doubt Blizzard even knows what the community wants. A short quest where yet another beloved character from the RTS dies isn't cutting it. It just reminds us that all Horde lore characters are disposable.
    Last edited by Grazrug; 2023-06-10 at 06:29 PM.

Horde and Alliance character as a term is about to be over most likely. I think they are separating the racial leaders always being representative of their faction and focusing on stories involving them as individual characters.

When the Horde and Alliance get involved, it will be for military conflicts or situations where more firepower is needed.

I prefer the heritage armor questlines or short questlines like Baine's purpose moving forward. Focus on characters for their class and race, less on a bunch of different people all wearing red or blue.

And to put this right. It is not a victim complex when you point out Blizzard loves to kill Horde aligned characters when they want to raise the stakes a bit. Gods forbid the plot armor from alliance leaders might ever fail.

It is pretty much like this:

When Blizzard writes the alliance they do it like Lord of the Rings. All heroes survive, lots of political progress, a happy ending and big meaningful cutscenes where the whole world is saved from evil.

When they write the Horde it is however like Game of Thrones. Lots of backstabbing, no political progress, lots of dead heroes, local problems at best and never the center of attention since the Horde is just a side faction and not the main entitity this game was written for.
    Last edited by Grazrug; 2023-06-11 at 11:37 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    When they write the Horde it is however like Game of Thrones. Lots of backstabbing, no political progress, lots of dead heroes, local problems at best and never the center of attention since the Horde is just a side faction and not the main entitity this game was written for.
    If only they had written the Horde GoT-style lul. Having, idk, Cersei as a faction leader would have been far, FAR more interesting than Garrosh "daddy issues" Hellscream or Sylvanas "plot device" Windrunner.

And to be honest, PvE has pretty much always been written from an Ally PoV, it's pretty much one of the original sins of the franchise. Even the expansions where the Horde was supposedly getting some Development Focus™ (Cata to an extent, and of course MoP/BfA), all they actually did was to drop the Stupid Evil bat on the Horde leaders so that they could serve as a foil to the always noble, ostensibly spotless, effectively infallible Alliance bigwigs and their claque of red-wearing cheerleaders.

The Horde has had to live on writers' fiat since then, which makes the whole thing even less believable as a whole.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.